Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Official ZL1 Power Figure and Other Details Released

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2011, 11:45 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

4200lbs seems a bit too high for the changes they made. Other sources are saying there are no official weight figures just yet.

Car and driver: http://www.caranddriver.com/news/car...80_hp-car_news

"Development is not yet complete, so there are no weight, acceleration, top-speed, or gas-mileage figures to share."

If it IS 4200lbs, then GM made another mistake with the Camaro in my book. JMO.

A car should only weigh over 3700lbs if it has some serious equipment and luxury and has 4 doors in my opinion.

Last edited by DiscerningZ32; 09-11-2011 at 11:50 PM.
Old 09-11-2011, 11:47 PM
***Repost Police***

I don't know if they will ever offer the GT500 as an automatic... they are really focusing on making it a track machine (the kind with turns), and an automatic not only lets even more "posers" on the bandwagon, but the image would be tarnished as well. Do you think the C6Z should be offered with an automatic?
Old 09-12-2011, 01:38 AM
Restricted User

The auto will be great for someone who wants to put a stall and tires on it and run 10's....
Old 09-12-2011, 02:08 AM
9 Second Club

The weight...
Old 09-12-2011, 08:47 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
I don't know if they will ever offer the GT500 as an automatic... they are really focusing on making it a track machine (the kind with turns), and an automatic not only lets even more "posers" on the bandwagon, but the image would be tarnished as well. Do you think the C6Z should be offered with an automatic?
Autos and semi-autos (clutch-less manuals) are dominating tracks these days.

Even GM's torque converter automatic, the 6L90 has proven to be quicker than an M6.
The CTS-V is perfect proof of this.

I prefer a manual, but there is no denying that the auto (in some form or another) is taking over the performance world.
Old 09-12-2011, 09:26 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by DiscerningZ32
4200lbs seems a bit too high for the changes they made. Other sources are saying there are no official weight figures just yet.

Car and driver: http://www.caranddriver.com/news/car...80_hp-car_news

"Development is not yet complete, so there are no weight, acceleration, top-speed, or gas-mileage figures to share."

If it IS 4200lbs, then GM made another mistake with the Camaro in my book. JMO.

A car should only weigh over 3700lbs if it has some serious equipment and luxury and has 4 doors in my opinion.
GM quoted the power to weight ration, not the news agencies. They know how much the car weighs. Instead of throwing "4200lbs out there" they tired to put the weight figure in perspective with some other high performance cars out there.
Old 09-12-2011, 11:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

To everyone bitching about weight, lay off the cheeseburgers or buy a miata. I know if I see one going down the road I'll be jealous.
Old 09-12-2011, 02:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ULTIMATEORANGESS
i like that suspension and tires made specifically for this car. im anxious to see one in action. the shop i use has one on order.
Those tires are already available on the GT500.
Old 09-12-2011, 02:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
A performance car is a performance car regardless of the transmission, IMO. But, I do agree that making an Auto available for a car like a C6 Z would probably take a little away from it's overall purpose.

Also, there are a LOT of people who are just complete posers that will choose a Manual over an Automatic no matter what the situation is. Most of the time, those are the same idiots who know nothing and are always bashing the Auto guys.
Old 09-12-2011, 03:22 PM
Staging Lane

would love to see one on the road course
Old 09-12-2011, 03:55 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

God whats wrong with some of you people...

Everyone is essentially saying:
"Fastest Camaro Ever? Not impressed..."

seriously...wtf lol
It could be lighter, sure...but then again, it's still going to be the fastest Camaro ever built...who cares what it weighs? A couple thousand dollars will yield over 600hp...not good enough for you? Get a new hobby IMO...

How is the fastest production Camaro ever made a disappointment? Because it could be faster? I'm pretty sure every Camaro ever made could have been faster/lighter...no exceptions.

IMO If you want cars that are absolutely tapped out on potential with every last hp rung out of it, every last nut, bolt, screw, and body panel made leightweight then you'd be complaining about the price. Camaros are mainly supposed to go fast in a straight line, and handling is second. This thing is going to trap 11's, at probably over 120mph...a few bolt ons and you'll need a roll cage to run it at an NHRA track, and yet, the car will have GM's most advance handling system as well...what isnt to love?

Last edited by MasterTomos; 09-12-2011 at 04:06 PM.
Old 09-12-2011, 04:45 PM
***Repost Police***

People that like DRIVING cars like cars that don't feel and drive like tanks. I don't care how fast this car is in a straight line, it simply weighs too much for me. My old Mustang was heavier than I would like, and it was WAY lighter than this.
Old 09-12-2011, 05:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by SSCamaro99_3
Those tires are already available on the GT500.
says here zl1 specific tires.

http://www.autoweek.com/article/2011...#ixzz1XR9UEDbw
Old 09-12-2011, 06:13 PM
TECH Addict

Found this 24hr torture test:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYDtt...layer_embedded

"The most advanced, highest performance Camaro ever.

To confirm the track readiness of the most powerful production Camaro ever, the 2012 Chevy Camaro ZL1, performance engineers recently conducted a 24-hour extreme track test on the grueling Milford Road Course located on GM's Proving Grounds in Milford, Michigan.

The 2012 Camaro ZL1 offers Performance Traction Management (PTM) as standard equipment, which is exclusive to General Motors. It was initially introduced on the Corvette ZR1.

Novice drivers will find the ZL1 very enjoyable to drive, while expert drivers will find PTM supplements their driving skill without interfering with their intentions."
Old 09-12-2011, 06:54 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by TransAmWS.6
The A6 ZL1's are going to be very stout I bet, going to be a killer setup for the straight line guys. It really is too bad Ford doesn't offer the GT500 in an Auto.
Originally Posted by ULTIMATEORANGESS
one of the best decisions made here was to offer an auto.
Originally Posted by JHL88
agreed.
You guys all need to lay off the crack pipe! Sports cars need manual transmissions! Although I guess you can't really consider this a sports car at 4200lbs, the more correct term would be high-performance land yacht.
Old 09-12-2011, 07:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by MasterTomos

seriously...wtf lol
It could be lighter, sure...but then again, it's still going to be the fastest Camaro ever built...who cares what it weighs? A couple thousand dollars will yield over 600hp...not good enough for you? Get a new hobby IMO...

How is the fastest production Camaro ever made a disappointment? Because it could be faster? I'm pretty sure every Camaro ever made could have been faster/lighter...no exceptions.

IMO If you want cars that are absolutely tapped out on potential with every last hp rung out of it, every last nut, bolt, screw, and body panel made leightweight then you'd be complaining about the price. Camaros are mainly supposed to go fast in a straight line, and handling is second. This thing is going to trap 11's, at probably over 120mph...a few bolt ons and you'll need a roll cage to run it at an NHRA track, and yet, the car will have GM's most advance handling system as well...what isnt to love?

Tech should have a "like" button like they do on Facebook.
Great post!
Old 09-12-2011, 07:27 PM
***Repost Police***

I bet it weighs about as much as your truck
Old 09-12-2011, 07:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

my truck weights a bit more!!
Old 09-12-2011, 08:07 PM
10 Second Club

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by TransAmWS.6
A performance car is a performance car regardless of the transmission, IMO.

Also, there are a LOT of people who are just complete posers that will choose a Manual over an Automatic no matter what the situation is. Most of the time, those are the same idiots who know nothing and are always bashing the Auto guys.

Originally Posted by MasterTomos

seriously...wtf lol

........ ^ THIS ^

Originally Posted by Spoolin
Tech should have a "like" button like they do on Facebook.
Great post!
Old 09-12-2011, 08:13 PM
***Repost Police***

With everybody talking about automatics and stalls and launch control, I don't want to see anything else talking **** about the GT-R "driving itself." That would be the definition of hypocrisy.

Quick Reply: Official ZL1 Power Figure and Other Details Released