Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Official ZL1 Power Figure and Other Details Released

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 08:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

porsche offers autos they must suck too.
Old 09-12-2011, 08:33 PM
***Repost Police***

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I talk about the people that buy those too. But you can't get an automatic on the high end performance cars.
Old 09-12-2011, 08:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Whats the estimated price tag?
Old 09-12-2011, 08:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Smile

is that PDK considered an auto?

http://www.porsche.com/microsite/tec...=PMTBoxsterAll

or is it this?

http://www.porsche.com/microsite/tec...lectedVariant=
Old 09-12-2011, 09:00 PM
10 Second Club

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
With everybody talking about automatics and stalls and launch control, I don't want to see anything else talking **** about the GT-R "driving itself." That would be the definition of hypocrisy.
My automatics don't use launch control or super high tech slip angle electronic differential GPS algorithms like the Nissan does, if I nail it the rear tires simply go up in smoke.
While certainly not requiring as much skill as a traditional manual/clutch, I do still have to drive my cars to extract the most out of them.
Old 09-12-2011, 09:28 PM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by ULTIMATEORANGESS
The PDK, no. The Tiptronic, sure. But if you paid attention to what I said, you would know what cars I was talking about. Which don't offer the Tiptronic. Here, read it again.
I talk about the people that buy those too. But you can't get an automatic on the high end performance cars.
Originally Posted by LS1LT1
My automatics don't use launch control or super high tech slip angle electronic differential GPS algorithms like the Nissan does, if I nail it the rear tires simply go up in smoke.
While certainly not requiring as much skill as a traditional manual/clutch, I do still have to drive my cars to extract the most out of them.
Definitely wasn't talking about your car.
But your car does have traction control and stability control you could use if you wanted to. So while not the same, it is similar.
Old 09-12-2011, 10:21 PM
TECH Resident

I bet it weighs about as much as your truck
It does weigh about a few hundred pounds more than my 4x4 truck does
Old 09-12-2011, 10:25 PM
***Repost Police***

Well at least you and I are on the same page about the cars.
Old 09-12-2011, 10:35 PM
10 Second Club

Wink

But your car does have traction control and stability control you could use if you wanted to.
True, if I wanted to go slower that is.
And my Z28 has neither of those intrusions.
Old 09-12-2011, 10:36 PM
TECH Addict

I don't know if they will ever offer the GT500 as an automatic... they are really focusing on making it a track machine (the kind with turns), and an automatic not only lets even more "posers" on the bandwagon, but the image would be tarnished as well. Do you think the C6Z should be offered with an automatic?
I think they will offer the GT500 with an auto, simply because the ZL1 will offer it and they wanna keep up in a straight line.

The C6ZR1 is so utterly different than the GT500, I can't beg a way to compare the two. It's a true sports car and it would still be really cool to see it with an auto, but it's so far from that kind of vehicle, it would shock me if GM went there.

GM is evidently doing things right with the ZL1 and that's going to help their business. The only concern I have is that GM may also be taking a real hit on sales in terms of earning a profit. Seems the ZL1 will be kinda like the ZR1 in that sense... All good except the earnings per car.
Old 09-13-2011, 05:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

Smile

The PDK, no. The Tiptronic, sure. But if you paid attention to what I said, you would know what cars I was talking about. Which don't offer the Tiptronic. Here, read it again.

Definitely wasn't talking about your car.
But your car does have traction control and stability control you could use if you wanted to. So while not the same, it is similar.
what high end cars are you talking about?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bugatti_Veyron
Old 09-13-2011, 05:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

Smile

Originally Posted by It'llrun
I think they will offer the GT500 with an auto, simply because the ZL1 will offer it and they wanna keep up in a straight line.

The C6ZR1 is so utterly different than the GT500, I can't beg a way to compare the two. It's a true sports car and it would still be really cool to see it with an auto, but it's so far from that kind of vehicle, it would shock me if GM went there.

GM is evidently doing things right with the ZL1 and that's going to help their business. The only concern I have is that GM may also be taking a real hit on sales in terms of earning a profit. Seems the ZL1 will be kinda like the ZR1 in that sense... All good except the earnings per car.
im sure camaro sales as a whole are profitable and this car isnt going to affect that.
Old 09-13-2011, 10:51 AM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by ULTIMATEORANGESS
what high end cars are you talking about?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bugatti_Veyron
You and that retarded smile face you put before your posts really aren't this thick-headed in real life, are you? I was talking specifically about Porsche, since you asked about them. THEIR high end performance versions were manual-only until the PDK came out. So while you can buy an automatic Porsche, the track-oriented models were never offered as actual automatics. That transmission was used in the more pedestrian models. Do you understand what I am talking about now?
Old 09-13-2011, 10:57 AM
TECH Regular

You and that retarded smile face you put before your posts really aren't this thick-headed in real life, are you? I was talking specifically about Porsche, since you asked about them. THEIR high end performance versions were manual-only until the PDK came out. So while you can buy an automatic Porsche, the track-oriented models were never offered as actual automatics. That transmission was used in the more pedestrian models. Do you understand what I am talking about now?
If you consider the Turbo and Turbo S to be high end performance versions, then you're technically wrong. Both were offered with triptronic.

The only Porsches that never got an auto were the GT's and GT RS'.
If that's what you meant, then nevermind.
Old 09-13-2011, 10:58 AM
***Repost Police***

That's exactly what I meant
Old 09-13-2011, 11:10 AM
***Repost Police***

And there are lots of car companies where they either have models or trim levels that are manual only. Chevrolet does it with the Corvette Z06 and ZR1. Dodge did it with the Viper. You could buy an MAX automatic, but only with the lower-performance engine. You could buy an Integra automatic, but not a GS-R or Type R. S2000 was only available as a manual as well. So there is definitely a precedent for what I am talking about.
Old 09-13-2011, 11:12 AM
TECH Apprentice

True, if I wanted to go slower that is.
And my Z28 has neither of those intrusions.
I personally don't trust my abilities with stabilitrak off.
Old 09-13-2011, 12:14 PM
10 Second Club

Lightbulb

And there are lots of car companies where they either have models or trim levels that are manual only. Chevrolet does it with the Corvette Z06 and ZR1. Dodge did it with the Viper. You could buy an MAX automatic, but only with the lower-performance engine. You could buy an Integra automatic, but not a GS-R or Type R. S2000 was only available as a manual as well. So there is definitely a precedent for what I am talking about.
Very true, but often that was done more out of design necessity (higher RPM/redline levels, torque capacity/ratings, weight/space/fitment limitations, road racing orientation etc.) than for the 'manuals are just more cool' spiritual aspects/reasons.
But it is what it is, those cars were manual only regardless of the reason.
Old 09-13-2011, 12:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I dont know why people are complaining about the auto option either, it's great for drag racing. Also (in theory) it should keep prices down somewhat too because they will sell way more automatics than manuals I bet, and a larger number of ZL1's overall with both tranny options.

Also,
Chances are this will be probably the best handling camaro of all time as well, for those concerned about the weight.
Old 09-13-2011, 12:34 PM
***Repost Police***

Very true, but often that was done more out of design necessity (higher RPM/redline levels, torque capacity/ratings, weight/space/fitment limitations, road racing orientation etc.) than for the 'manuals are just more cool' spiritual aspects/reasons.
But it is what it is, those cars were manual only regardless of the reason.
Agreed.

Quick Reply: Official ZL1 Power Figure and Other Details Released