Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Nearly Full specs of the ZL1 available

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 10:15 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteKnight '01
Probably being ignorant when I say this, but I think I could definitely see this thing hitting low 12's. That's not too much of a stretch if it's got 550HP.
585Hp is what the ZL1 will have.

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
High 11s/Low 12s at ~120mph.
Thats what the current CTs-v Runs (with 30 less Hp, more weight, and less advanced suspension)

Regardless of what you have seen, stock Z06s (down to the tires) have run LOW 11s, and one or two of even dipped into the 10s. STOCK. At 126-129mph. Like I said, a C6 Z06 would butt-rape a ZL1 in a straight line. The ZL1 will be a great race for a C5 Z06 though from a dig, and probably pull a bit from a roll.
The ZL1's should easily outrun the CTS-V with more power, better suspension, and less weight.

Putting the Z06 in the low 11 second/high 10 second range I think is giving it a little too much credit. Sure, it has been done, but any joe shmoe isnt going to do that on every run. Some late 4th gens have seen mid 12's in the 1/4 stock, should you expect every 98-02 LS1 to perform like that? Hell no. Mid 11's is the norm run I'd say with any amateur driver (with a little experience behind the wheel).

I could easily see the ZL1 being a high/mid 11 second car. Plus remember the 2012 ZL1 is also going to have more advanced suspension the current ZR1.
Old 10-25-2011, 10:24 PM
***Repost Police***

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MasterTomos
585Hp is what the ZL1 will have.

Thats what the current CTs-v Runs (with 30 less Hp, more weight, and less advanced suspension)

The ZL1's should easily outrun the CTS-V with more power, better suspension, and less weight.

Putting the Z06 in the low 11 second/high 10 second range I think is giving it a little too much credit. Sure, it has been done, but any joe shmoe isnt going to do that on every run. Some late 4th gens have seen mid 12's in the 1/4 stock, should you expect every 98-02 LS1 to perform like that? Hell no. Mid 11's is the norm run I'd say with any amateur driver (with a little experience behind the wheel).

I could easily see the ZL1 being a high/mid 11 second car. Plus remember the 2012 ZL1 is also going to have more advanced suspension the current ZR1.
I am talking about the POTENTIAL OF THE CAR. The Z06 has the POTENTIAL to run low 11s. Maybe one or two built on a good day can crack 10s. That is factual information. If you want to talk about what Joe-shmoe is gonna run in a Z06, you might want to add quite a bit of time to that mid-high 11s estimate for the ZL1. You can't compare one car's potential to another car's average. The Z06 has been proven to be SIGNIFICANTLY faster in a straight line than the ZL1 even has the potential to be. So like I said... if you want to hold all these 'Ring times as gospel, you have to hold the opinion that the 4,120lb ZL1 handles considerably better than the 1,000lb-lighter Z06. Quit skirting the issue.

Edit: BTW, has anyone actually run 11s in a completely stock CTS-V? 12.1 is the quickest I have heard of so far.
Old 10-25-2011, 10:36 PM
TECH Junkie

I am talking about the POTENTIAL OF THE CAR. The Z06 has the POTENTIAL to run low 11s. Maybe one or two built on a good day can crack 10s. That is factual information. If you want to talk about what Joe-shmoe is gonna run in a Z06, you might want to add quite a bit of time to that mid-high 11s estimate for the ZL1. You can't compare one car's potential to another car's average. The Z06 has been proven to be SIGNIFICANTLY faster in a straight line than the ZL1 even has the potential to be. So like I said... if you want to hold all these 'Ring times as gospel, you have to hold the opinion that the 4,120lb ZL1 handles considerably better than the 1,000lb-lighter Z06. Quit skirting the issue.

Edit: BTW, has anyone actually run 11s in a completely stock CTS-V? 12.1 is the quickest I have heard of so far.
Magazines have done 11.8's and 11.9's several times ( around 122mph IIRC), along with a number of amateurs.

I'm not saying they will be neck and neck contenders necessarily, but it will definitely be closer than you giving credit to being possible. I'm betting the 11.70 range wont be an uncommon run for the ZL1 given the advantages it has over the CTS-V that runs low 12's very commonly.

Only time will tell, but I think everyone will continue to impressed (or butthurt for whatever reason) with the ZL1's performance as time goes on.

I also forgot to add the ZL1 has much better, wider tires (305 "summer only" directional tires on a 20x11 rim) than the CTS-V, which has fought traction and wheel hop in many runs.

Last edited by MasterTomos; 10-25-2011 at 10:45 PM.
Old 10-25-2011, 10:42 PM
***Repost Police***

The fact that you think I am "butthurt" at all by this car's performance is laughable. I am using the same "common sense" that has been used to explain why the GT500 can't be faster around a track than the Z06.
Old 10-25-2011, 10:56 PM
TECH Junkie

The fact that you think I am "butthurt" at all by this car's performance is laughable. I am using the same "common sense" that has been used to explain why the GT500 can't be faster around a track than the Z06.
I didnt say any names, I really dont care what you think at all (and as you put it earlier MANY MANY others agree with me).

Lots of people read this stuff, I'm just doing my duty displaying a different opinion and distributing more facts just like you're attempting to. At this point, its mostly speculation, but as new facts arise you keep saying the same stuff while others are making new speculations. I will be damned if every ZL1 thread on LS1tech is only filled with your negative comments because you see it as your duty to storm in and bitch about everything every time something pops up about it.

And I havent said a thing about the GT500. I have mainly talked about the ZL1's 1/4 mile performance.

Last edited by MasterTomos; 10-25-2011 at 11:02 PM.
Old 10-25-2011, 11:13 PM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by MasterTomos
I didnt say any names, I really dont care what you think at all (and as you put it earlier MANY MANY others agree with me).

Lots of people read this stuff, I'm just doing my duty displaying a different opinion and distributing more facts just like you're attempting to. At this point, its mostly speculation, but as new facts arise you keep saying the same stuff while others are making new speculations. I will be damned if every ZL1 thread on LS1tech is only filled with your negative comments because you see it as your duty to storm in and bitch about everything every time something pops up about it.

And I havent said a thing about the GT500. I have mainly talked about the ZL1's 1/4 mile performance.
Talk about butthurt

Edit: And for the record, the car's weight has been something that everyone has speculated about for months... some were right, some were wrong. So I like to make *intelligent* speculations, not hopeful speculations. This car isn't a personal lord and savior. It's a car.
Old 10-25-2011, 11:22 PM
9 Second Club

Interesting.
Old 10-25-2011, 11:32 PM
TECH Junkie

Talk about butthurt

Edit: And for the record, the car's weight has been something that everyone has speculated about for months... some were right, some were wrong. So I like to make *intelligent* speculations, not hopeful speculations. This car isn't a personal lord and savior. It's a car.
Its not hurting my feelings any, I assure you. Just trying to keep the facts out there, provide some additional educated speculation, and keep the trolls at bay
Old 10-25-2011, 11:34 PM
***Repost Police***

Six year troll, going strong
Old 10-26-2011, 01:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Whatever you say buddy. What you call "negative," I call "realistic." Excuse me for not sharing all your opinions.
Whats my opinion exactly? Trollolololol.
Old 10-26-2011, 01:45 AM
***Repost Police***

Apparently the polar opposite of whatever you think my "negative" opinions are
Old 10-26-2011, 02:07 AM
TECH Junkie

I bet bone stock 11.70 or faster runs from the ZL1 will be documented within a month of the ZL1 being available to the public. Any takers?
Old 10-26-2011, 02:15 AM
***Repost Police***

Bone stock, NOTHING changed? That should be interesting.
Old 10-26-2011, 02:50 AM
TECH Junkie

Bone stock, NOTHING changed? That should be interesting.
Thats .1 better than the current best CTS-V time...Theyve added 30mm width to the already upgraded tires, lost a couple hundred pounds off the car, added advanced magnetic suspension, almost 30 hp, and you're skeptical it cant cut .1 off in the 1/4?

Granted, thats the BEST CTS-V time, but nevertheless, I'm not talking about the potential of the ZL1, but the average...Im willing to bet there will be faster than 11.70 runs out there in time bone stock.

Last edited by MasterTomos; 10-26-2011 at 03:12 AM.
Old 10-26-2011, 03:24 AM
10 Second Club

I'll just go ahead and say this before certain people come in and try to convince me of how awesome it is... I don't care about the numbers it puts up. I thought my Mustang was heavy, and this weighs 700lbs more. This weighs almost exactly the same as my old 4-door pickup. Nearly the same as a Hemi Dodge Magnum STATION WAGON. I simply don't want a "sporty" car that weighs that much.
I can't argue with that man, I feel the exact same way about the Nissan GTR.
Old 10-26-2011, 03:30 AM
10 Second Club

Thumbs up

Regardless of what you have seen, stock Z06s (down to the tires) have run LOW 11s, and one or two of even dipped into the 10s. STOCK. At 126-129mph. Like I said, a C6 Z06 would butt-rape a ZL1 in a straight line. The ZL1 will be a great race for a C5 Z06 though from a dig, and probably pull a bit from a roll.
Agreed.
Old 10-26-2011, 11:03 AM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
I can't argue with that man, I feel the exact same way about the Nissan GTR.

I respect the performance this car delivers...but too heavy. The GT-R performs great too, but I would still rather drive a Z06.
Old 10-26-2011, 03:53 PM
Banned

bringing up the GT500 vs a Zo6 and the ZL1 camaro vs the Zo6, while you may think thye are similar, you are off quite a good bit...the ZL1 much like the new mustang BOSS 5.0 is built mainly to handle on tracks..both have impressive suspension setups unlike the GT500 wich just is'nt on par with the BOSS,ZL1 and damn sure not the Z06..so the GT500 being even small competion for the Zo6 is laughable...however the boss 5.0 or the ZL1 is is a competitor all day long for almost any car on any track...i personally find the GT500's to be the MOST OVERATED car's on the planet..550 hp and some ppl cant' even hit mid 12's with then...it's a damn shame what my car does to them at the drag strip...i honestly get tired of racing them..the new 5.0's with some drag radials and a few bolt ons give my SS better runs at the drag strip than a GT500 does..they best add more hp and redo thier suspension if they want to compete with what the ZL1 has to offer
Old 10-26-2011, 03:57 PM
***Repost Police***

You make my brain hurt. Every time you type. A car is overrated because most people can't drive them? But the fact that they have run BOTTOM 11s @ 120mph+ with just drag radials means nothing.
Old 10-27-2011, 12:10 AM
Douchebag On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Irunelevens, while I still stick to what I previously said, I have to apologize. Even though I agree with you now (as I usually do), it was getting a little annoying at the same time. However, I'm sorry it seems I created a bit of a forum Frankenstein out of you.

Quick Reply: Nearly Full specs of the ZL1 available