Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

New C7 Info - GM says no Split window, no 5.5L

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 05:13 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jalopnik (and the rest of the media) has apparently seen the car but can't talk much about it or release any photos. So they came up with this sketch instead.

Most new Chevrolets have tails inspired by the Camaro, it looks like the Corvette will too. Many new Chevrolets also have interior styling inspired by the Camaro, chiefly the 60s-esque dual-pod layout.
Old 11-14-2011, 05:17 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TriShield
They are bland. They disappear when parked next to a Viper, Ford GT or a common Camaro or Challenger.
VIPER- Yes
GT- Yes
CAMARO- No
CHALLENGER- No

Not even the base C6. Best looking Corvette GM's ever made IMO (many others will disagree, but oh well). Looks fantastic. I can't see much bland in it, but opinions are like ********...

I would do very bad things for a Ford GT though.
Old 11-14-2011, 05:43 PM
TECH Regular

I'm really liking the quarter panel and side arches.
Old 11-14-2011, 06:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I think they just made the tails more angular vs round, to fit the more angular styling the whole car has.

I like that sketch, over all
Old 11-14-2011, 06:49 PM
10 Second Club

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by WSsick
Disagree. I think the C6 models, especially the Z06/ZR1, look amazing. I mean, basing it solely on looks, I would take a ZR1 or even a Z06 over say, a 599. You see many more C6s than you do it's competitors, making it seem bland.
Originally Posted by WSsick
Not even the base C6. Best looking Corvette GM's ever made IMO (many others will disagree, but oh well). Looks fantastic. I can't see much bland in it, but opinions are like ********...
....... ^ This ^
Old 11-14-2011, 07:09 PM
LEO
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I really like this rendering of the C7, looks to be the most realistic one yet. Definitely an evolution of the C6 design, sharper angles, more aggressive - I LIKE IT! Don't care so much for the tail lights but that is a small matter. I also hope that the vents in the hood and rear quarter panels are functional and not for show. Make it happen GM.
Old 11-14-2011, 07:33 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,789 Likes on 1,276 Posts

They are bland. They disappear when parked next to a Viper, Ford GT or a common Camaro or Challenger.

Wow. The 5th gen Camaro looks like a cartoon parked next to any C6, especially a Z06/ZR1. I like the other cars you mentioned, but it's almost laughable that anyone would think a C6 could disappear next to a "common Camaro or Challenger".

I'm thankful that the Corvette isn't more like the Viper, and by that I mean rare and discontinued.

Most new Chevrolets have tails inspired by the Camaro, it looks like the Corvette will too.
That doesn't mean it looks good. It's a poor design, but then again so is the entire rear of the new Camaro. I hope they clean up that rear styling on the next gen of Camaro.
Old 11-14-2011, 07:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I can agree there. I like the Camaro over all, but the back end needs something.

I'm just glad however that GM stayed true to the Camaro's concept instead of showing one thing then producing something totally different like they had done a few times in the past.
Old 11-14-2011, 08:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Wnts2Go10O
GM fails again.
Originally Posted by RPM WS6
The only thing GM has done well in the last half dozen years has been the C6, IMO. It's the only car I notice when I stop at the Chevy dealer.
Wait what??? How does GM fail when its the #1 auto maker IN THE WORLD yet again after bouncing back from bankruptcy? http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-0...ter-quake.html Please explain that one for me buddy. GMC Acadia, Buick Enclave, Cadillac CTS-V, Cadillac Cue technology, Chevrolet Corvette, Camaro, Volt, Cruze, Equinox, Tahoe, Suburban, Silverado?
Old 11-14-2011, 08:56 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by DoggyB22
Wait what??? How does GM fail when its the #1 auto maker IN THE WORLD yet again after bouncing back from bankruptcy? Please explain that one for me buddy. GMC Acadia, Buick Enclave, Cadillac CTS-V, Cadillac Cue technology, Chevrolet Corvette, Camaro, Volt, Cruze, Equinox, Tahoe, Suburban, Silverado?
I like the CTS series. I also like the full-sized trucks/SUVs....I mistakenly omitted those models in the post you quoted. But Corvette is a shining example of a new car that I find extremely attractive....moreso than anything else GM sells at the moment.
Old 11-14-2011, 08:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Wait what??? How does GM fail when its the #1 auto maker IN THE WORLD yet again after bouncing back from bankruptcy? http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-0...ter-quake.html Please explain that one for me buddy. GMC Acadia, Buick Enclave, Cadillac CTS-V, Cadillac Cue technology, Chevrolet Corvette, Camaro, Volt, Cruze, Equinox, Tahoe, Suburban, Silverado?
the Acadia, Enclave, and Traverse are terrible. they are ALWAYS in the shop for one thing or another (i work at a dealership)
Old 11-14-2011, 11:47 PM
10 Second Club

I'm thankful that the Corvette isn't more like the Viper, and by that I mean rare and discontinued.
Agreed.

Good points.
Old 11-16-2011, 10:04 AM
Launching!

If you are hating on C6 styling, you are on the wrong forum.
Old 11-16-2011, 10:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Wait what??? How does GM fail when its the #1 auto maker IN THE WORLD yet again after bouncing back from bankruptcy?
So much wrong in this statement.
Old 11-16-2011, 10:21 AM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by ledesordre
If you are hating on C6 styling, you are on the wrong forum.
Advice from the seasoned veteran . Calm down buddy, nobody is "hating on" anything.
Old 11-16-2011, 10:24 AM
Launching!

...did you read the thread?

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
Advice from the seasoned veteran . Calm down buddy, nobody is "hating on" anything.
Old 11-16-2011, 10:37 AM
***Repost Police***

If you didn't notice, yes I have read the thread. Saying that the C6 looks a little bland next to some of the competition isn't "hating," it's making an observation. I love the C6Z as much as the next guy, but it does kinda disappear when parked next to a Viper.
Old 11-16-2011, 11:34 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Saying that the C6 looks a little bland next to some of the competition isn't "hating," it's making an observation.
I don't think this observation is correct when making a fair comparison, though I do realize it's all just a matter of opinion. IMO, you just can't compare a base C6 to a Viper or Ford GT, it's just not accurate. If you compare a base C6 to other mainstream, non-exotic sports cars in it's price range (say, the Cayman I posted earlier), it's very hard to support the statement of a C6 being "boring" in comparison.

I love the C6Z as much as the next guy, but it does kinda disappear when parked next to a Viper.
IMO, this is only the case because of the [relative] commonness of the model on which a C6Z is based (a normal C6). If there was no base C6, and the only Corvette we had was the Z06/ZR1 trim level, that general body style would not seem nearly as common and thus much more exotic and comparable to the Viper.

Point being, no matter what the styling of Corvette, it will never seem exotic for long because it has lower trim levels sold in the quantites and price range of more mainstream sports cars. Viper never enjoyed such a market, nor has it managed to survive like Corvette.
Old 11-16-2011, 11:45 AM
10 Second Club

Lightbulb

IMO, this is only the case because of the [relative] commonness of the model on which a C6Z is based (a normal C6). If there was no base C6, and the only Corvette we had was the Z06/ZR1 trim level, that general body style would not seem nearly as common and thus much more exotic and comparable to the Viper.

Point being, no matter what the styling of Corvette, it will never seem exotic for long because it has lower trim levels sold in the quantites and price range of more mainstream sports cars. Viper never enjoyed such a market, nor has it managed to survive like Corvette.
Exactly.
This is what I've been saying for years. If one can just alter their current reality/perception for a moment and imagine a world where the Viper (or the GT, or the Murcielago etc.) was mass produced at 25k+ units per year and the Corvette C6 was the low production (fewer than 500 units) vehicle you'd see EXACTLY what we're talking about.
My first reaction to seeing a C6 was very much akin to my first reaction to seeing a Ferrari 550/575 or even an F360. Nowadays, the 550/575 (as dated as it is) might still give a little more 'flash' to me simply because I do see fewer of them than C6s.
But that is not the reality of course and the perception (and that's what it is, perception or relativity) is what it is.
Old 11-16-2011, 03:33 PM
***Repost Police***

The number of cars on the road is definitely the primary reason. Which is exactly why the next gen will be out relatively soon. But that doesn't stop me from craning my neck to watch a Z06 (or any other clean C6) drive by.

Quick Reply: New C7 Info - GM says no Split window, no 5.5L