TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default New C7 Info - GM says no Split window, no 5.5L

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/11/09/n...-split-window/

Very nice minor details.
Old 11-09-2011, 08:09 PM
TECH Addict

Interesting. I know alot of people were looking forward to the DI 5.5.

However the 7spd manual is a nice twist.
Old 11-09-2011, 09:13 PM
***Repost Police***

Good, they're doing major work on the interior. That is one of the biggest things holding it back.
Old 11-10-2011, 12:10 AM
Douchebag On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by djsanchez2
Interesting. I know alot of people were looking forward to the DI 5.5.

However the 7spd manual is a nice twist.
I read that part and was quite taken aback.

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
Good, they're doing major work on the interior. That is one of the biggest things holding it back.
Definitely. Although the Centennial edition is quite a nice upgrade.

Old 11-10-2011, 12:18 AM
***Repost Police***

Nice upgrade sure, but still not up to par with the competition. Which is no surprise, considering the discrepancy between prices of the base Corvette and the more-expensive competition. The problem is, that interior becomes a bigger issue when the price reaches and surpasses $100k.
Old 11-10-2011, 01:05 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
Corvette sales are among the worst they've been in the model's history. I think the biggest thing holding it back is it looking like it does sitting in showrooms next to the Camaro, which handily overshadows it.

The general overall look of the Corvette hasn't changed much since the C4 debuted and it's become the most vanilla looking sports car money can buy. Nothing about the style is distinctive or exciting. The Ford GT is a head turner, any Viper is a head turner while the Corvette is just a Corvette. GM's other performance models from the CTS-V to the Camaro are much more interesting to behold.

The car needs a total heritage inspired rethink in looks like the Camaro recieved. I was hoping it would get the same treatment but I guess not. Too bad.
Old 11-10-2011, 01:15 AM
***Repost Police***

I hope they don't try to go too retro with the Corvette...it always has been very progressive, and I think that's how it should be.
Old 11-10-2011, 01:36 AM
On The Tree

Im just glad they are sticking with the pushrod engine.
Old 11-10-2011, 05:20 AM
LEO
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I actually like the look of the current Corvette, and I'm glad to see GM going with a 7 speed manual and addressing the issue with the interior. I think the interior has more to do with lagging sales then the exterior. Most European cars when spending $50K+, you get a really well appointed interior with options galore, with the Corvette you get a great engine, brakes and transmission.
Old 11-10-2011, 05:54 AM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah i think the c6 looks bad ***, honest when ever i see a c6z or grand sport i will break my kneck to get a longer look, i agree on the int though, i wonder if its going to have the new tech, in it that the caddys are going to start to come out with, i think that would be a good idea, a vette with a super comp, lol
Old 11-10-2011, 08:07 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Split window and 5.5L DI for Sting Ray
For cryin' out loud how many more gears do we need? I am starting to think if I ever buy a new sports car I might need to go to 18-wheeler school first...
Why not make the final drive ration higher (i.e. 3.25:1) and adjust the first 4 ratios in the tranny for acceleration? Keep the OD 5th and 6th like they are. I mean really, if you are using 5th gear for acceleration you are clearly not concerned with fuel economy.
Old 11-10-2011, 09:13 AM
10 Second Club

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by TriShield
The general overall look of the Corvette hasn't changed much since the C4 debuted and it's become the most vanilla looking sports car money can buy. Nothing about the style is distinctive or exciting. The Ford GT is a head turner, any Viper is a head turner while the Corvette is just a Corvette.
I sort of have to disagree.
The Corvette only appears or seems to look that way because it is still a relatively mass produced car.
Trust me, if they only produced a couple thousand C5s or C6s your reaction to seeing one likely wouldn't be all that far off what it is when you see a Ford GT or Dodge Viper. Corvettes are VERY high impact but there are simply a lot of them out there as well (there's a valid reason for that, it's an amazing car overall).
By the same token, if they'd made well over 150k GTs and/or Vipers those too might also start to take on a somewhat common, vanilla looking aura about them.
It's ALL relative, though the numbers are what they are and we can't really alter our perceptions based on 'if/then' or 'what if'.
I know the current Corvette has 'impact' or panache because when mine is clean and I'm out driving in it I still get kids pointing/staring in awe at it and plenty of adults yelling out "nice car!" at me, and this is in somewhat affluent neighborhoods and YEARS after the car was first released. GT and Viper likely get that even more so of course.

The car needs a total heritage inspired rethink in looks like the Camaro recieved. I was hoping it would get the same treatment but I guess not. Too bad.
This I can probably agree with.

Last edited by LS1LT1; 11-10-2011 at 09:41 PM.
Old 11-10-2011, 09:17 AM
10 Second Club

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by LEO
I actually like the look of the current Corvette, and I'm glad to see GM going with a 7 speed manual and addressing the issue with the interior.
Originally Posted by BOBS99SS
yeah i think the c6 looks bad ***, honest when ever i see a c6z or grand sport i will break my kneck to get a longer look
^ This ^
Old 11-10-2011, 09:24 AM

As I know the C7 will not be Wankel rotary-powered
Old 11-11-2011, 11:26 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,717 Likes on 1,232 Posts

The general overall look of the Corvette hasn't changed much since the C4 debuted and it's become the most vanilla looking sports car money can buy. Nothing about the style is distinctive or exciting.
Your posts have always indicated your general dislike for the C6, which is fine and your right to have that opinion, but as usual I have to disagee.

Here is what you get for $50k in the way of a sports car from Porsche:

Here is what you get for $50k in the way of a sports car from Chevy:

You call the Corvette the most vanilla looking sports car on the market, but I simply don't see how an (even remotely) objective eye can view the Corvette as being more boring than such similarly priced competition as this Cayman. To me, the styling seems to be on-par. In general, Porsche styling doesn't change much from generation to generation either. Heritage is nice, IMO.

I agree with LS1LT1, Corvettes will always disappear next to something like a Viper because Corvette is a much more common car and something that many people see on a daily basis. This is the result of comparatively (vs. exotics) high production numbers, not overly bland styling.

Last edited by RPM WS6; 11-11-2011 at 12:28 PM.
Old 11-11-2011, 01:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I kinda like the looks of the new C7 vette. Better than C4, C5, C6. Still needs more styling, but, is better, IMO.
Old 11-11-2011, 03:35 PM
11 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Those pictures are of a C6 z07 Centennial edition, no one has seen the C7 yet.

I don't understand the complaints with the interior either...I have sat in base, z06, and zr1s and I find them to be very nice.

I can't think of another car besides the Viper I have sat in that wowed me as much or more.
Old 11-11-2011, 03:47 PM
Staging Lane

I still wouldn't mind a spare vette to rip around in, still Gm and if it was a Ford would probably be some kind of turbo/dual turbo setup as they are doing to everything now but with a small displacement engine. GM is still cool and fast. Rotary is dead now, they killed it.
Old 11-11-2011, 04:16 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,717 Likes on 1,232 Posts

Not sure why everyone was so excited about a possibile 5.5L; if you were excited about the idea of DI, that's fine, but you can put that feature on a 6.2L displacement engine as well. IMO, stepping down displacement for a factory performance car is never a good thing.

Hopefully DI will be released on a new 6.2L eventually.
Old 11-11-2011, 08:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

I think that DI is almost a certainty on the C7. It's too bad that GM chose the "evolutionary" path though. If the C7 doesn't look far different from the C5 and C6, I think most current vette owners will be less likely to trade up. Can't wait to see the interior though. I know GM is putting some very cool infotainment systems in upcoming caddies...hopefully other platforms will get the goods as well.

Quick Reply: New C7 Info - GM says no Split window, no 5.5L