Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 10:36 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 11-30-2011, 11:08 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by nanokpsi
To make matters worse, it appears that only elfs will be able to fit in it, lol.
Yeah I didn't realize it was actually that small LOL.
When I see a car that small it had better offer something REAL special in exchange for that sacrifice in space/interior room...and by that I mean WEIGHT.
In my opinion, before it warrants any kind of high praise and/or engineering honors it had better be super light if it's going to have under 200hp and be 'Miata sized'.

While it's not exactly earthshatteringly attractive, it's certainly not a bad looking car in some of those photos. I do like the smaller/lighter sports car (Lotus Elise for example) approach and the emphasis on lower center of gravity is a strong point as well.
Old 11-30-2011, 01:15 PM
***Repost Police***

Did you not see the weight?
Old 11-30-2011, 02:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Every inch of that car is overstyled. It's like the designers just threw as many different curves and creases and shapes together as possible and then called it a day. Nothing flows or makes any sense. And the interior is the same, just looks way too busy.

I guess I'm not the target buyer for this car, it's clearly styled to appeal to the Fast & Furious types. All it needs is a Supra wing and a horrible body kit and it's a ricer's wet dream.
Old 11-30-2011, 03:48 PM
TECH Resident

That engine bay looks like it's going to be a nightmare to work on!

Maybe Toyota is planning on coming out with a Supra replacement soon and that's why they left all of the fun out of this one? Otherwise I really don't see why they are coming out with a car that's going to be right in the middle of the pack when it comes to under $30k cars that have already been out for a couple years.
Old 11-30-2011, 04:17 PM
***Repost Police***

Besides hoses and wires, I don't see what's so bad about that engine bay...and you keep only focusing on the engine. Hard concept for some on this site, but there is more to a car than its engine. Would this car suffer from a little more power? Of course not. But that does not make it a bad car. I can't wait to test drive one "enthusiastically."
Old 11-30-2011, 05:28 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
Besides hoses and wires, I don't see what's so bad about that engine bay...and you keep only focusing on the engine. Hard concept for some on this site, but there is more to a car than its engine. Would this car suffer from a little more power? Of course not. But that does not make it a bad car. I can't wait to test drive one "enthusiastically."
I keep focusing on the engine because it's the Achilles’ heel of this car. I love everything about this car other than that (well, I don't LOVE the looks, but it looks pretty good IMO), but the fact that it comes with no power and no real option to upgrade it without investing some serious cash kills it. Had they gone with an engine that could take some boost (I know nobody has tried with this one yet, but a 12.5 to 1 compression ratio is more than likely not going to be a fan of boost) it wouldn't be so bad, but without ripping the engine apart I don't see this car making much more than 200whp, which is pretty weak by any standards.
Old 11-30-2011, 05:58 PM
***Repost Police***

Power/weight is important. This car is gonna be quicker than a Civic Si (most likely), weigh less, and be RWD. And even though it is most likely going to be a tick slower than a V6 Camaro, it is going to be so much better and more responsive in every other performance aspect. Some people will gladly trade a little speed for way better everything else.
Old 11-30-2011, 06:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Instead of saying it "will" be this and "will" be that, wait until there is some actual data available. You're making too many assumptions. For all we know they put a crappy suspension design in it, or a slow steering rack, or did something else lame.
Old 11-30-2011, 06:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Power/weight is important. This car is gonna be quicker than a Civic Si (most likely), weigh less, and be RWD.
I understand your point, but that's not exactly a good thing. Those cars are fun to drive, but they are really not great performers. I have a feeling this car will have the EXACT same thing going for it. Yeah, it should be fun to drive, might have nice handling and all that, but at the end of the day, it's still a slow, non-competitive car.
Old 11-30-2011, 06:34 PM
***Repost Police***

Well it does have struts in the front, but it has double-wishbone out back. And the smallest steering wheel ever put in a Toyota (if I recall)...so I doubt it has a slow steering rack. But sure, we can wait
Old 11-30-2011, 07:32 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like it, if I ever relocate back to an area with twisty roads in the daily drive I'd consider one.

To this day I've still want to drive a S2000 or a Lotus, the BRZ is in the same category.
I knew Fbodies were kinda large, but after this parked next to me one day it really put things in perspective size wise:

I'm itching to drive something small and light.
Old 11-30-2011, 07:32 PM
Douchebag On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

^If you can fit in the Mustang or Genesis (or anything close in size to them, like say a 4th gen Fbody) then you can fit in a Miata or this car. Look at the picture again, but remember which ones have 2+2 and which one just have the 2.
Old 11-30-2011, 09:30 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by camar0corey
I like it, if I ever relocate back to an area with twisty roads in the daily drive I'd consider one.

To this day I've still want to drive a S2000 or a Lotus, the BRZ is in the same category.
I knew Fbodies were kinda large, but after this parked next to me one day it really put things in perspective size wise:

I'm itching to drive something small and light.
the lotus is less than 2000lbs...
Old 11-30-2011, 09:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

That lotus is so small, it only has one windshield wiper! Haha I never noticed that
Old 11-30-2011, 11:09 PM
10 Second Club

Lightbulb

Did you not see the weight?
In the original post/article (which is from Great Britain btw)? No, I didn't. Did you?
What I did see was a lot of preliminary speculation and assumption which really does make it quite difficult to differentiate fantasy from reality.
I think we need to wait until the actual left hand drive U.S. spec version is fully tested before knowing it's actual weight for sure.
Old 11-30-2011, 11:16 PM
***Repost Police***

I posted up Subaru's press release on page 4, though I do believe those are the UK specs. 2,689lbs for that version, and I don't see our version being much heavier. While that is an assumption, I'd say it's a fairly safe assumption that it will be very close to that.
Old 12-01-2011, 12:27 AM
TECH Veteran

Jalopnik summed up this car nicely.

The GT 86/FR-S/Subaru BRZ has us more excited than pretty much almost any car of the last decade. Unlike heavier, more powerful coupes, this 197 HP, 2,689 Lbs 2+2 appears to be the most pure driver's car on sale this side of a Lotus Elise. It should be cheap too; we're hoping for mid-$20s.

What's so hard to understand about this? Especially for a forum full of people who regularly complain about curb weight.
Old 12-01-2011, 12:30 AM
TECH Veteran

The US market version.

The car is virtually the same with just a badge swap retaining it's svelte curb weight and a full 200hp at a lofty 7,000 RPM.
Old 12-01-2011, 12:46 AM
***Repost Police***

Definitely going for a test drive when they hit dealers.

Quick Reply: Revealed - Toyota FT-86 (Scion FR-S/Subaru BRZ in the US) RWD sports car