Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Revealed - Toyota FT-86 (Scion FR-S/Subaru BRZ in the US) RWD sports car

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 09:33 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by justin455
^If you can fit in the Mustang or Genesis (or anything close in size to them, like say a 4th gen Fbody) then you can fit in a Miata or this car. Look at the picture again, but remember which ones have 2+2 and which one just have the 2.
The Scion and Subie are both 2+2s, not to mention have a much lower roof line. I am too staright to sit in a Miata, so I am assuming my 6'3", 225lb frame will not fit very well.
Old 12-01-2011, 09:57 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by TriShield
Jalopnik summed up this car nicely.

The GT 86/FR-S/Subaru BRZ has us more excited than pretty much almost any car of the last decade. Unlike heavier, more powerful coupes, this 197 HP, 2,689 Lbs 2+2 appears to be the most pure driver's car on sale this side of a Lotus Elise. It should be cheap too; we're hoping for mid-$20s.

What's so hard to understand about this? Especially for a forum full of people who regularly complain about curb weight.
Most of the people on here are complain about weight becasue it is dilutive to the power to weight ratio. Removing weight will make those pople happy, but not if it doesn't have enough power.

Remember your audience is predominately made up of drag racers and street racers who like to go fast, not road racers and auto-xers that are much more concerned about vehicle balance and handling.

As far as comparisons to the civic SI, that car was also a turd that has a hard time out pacing a camry. Looking at this, it seems the 2012 V6 Camry will actually be faster than both from 0-60 and the 1/4 mile. (5.8 and 14.1 @ 101mph)
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...ad-test-review

Think about that for a second. They developed a "sports car" that is slower than their very own large family sedan, which is widely viewed as boring and appliance like.

Mazda's Rx-8 was also billed as a driver's car that possesed very nice handling, but was also under powered. I think we all know how well that worked. The more irksome part here is that the hotter motors are readily available and would probably bolt in with minimal changes, yet they come forward and say they will not offer them.

At least Toyota knows the DI doesn't work without some manner of port fuel injection.
Old 12-01-2011, 12:04 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by nanokpsi
The Scion and Subie are both 2+2s, not to mention have a much lower roof line. I am too staright to sit in a Miata, so I am assuming my 6'3", 225lb frame will not fit very well.
same thing i though about a Lotus Exige, but i was able to slide my 6'2" 210lbs frame into one quite easily, and it was quite comfortable (too bad i didn't get to drive it though). just because a vehicle is a little on the smaller side, doesn't mean it's small on the inside.
Old 12-01-2011, 08:28 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
Instead of saying it "will" be this and "will" be that, wait until there is some actual data available. You're making too many assumptions. For all we know they put a crappy suspension design in it, or a slow steering rack, or did something else lame.
And the same goes for those who assume this won't sell well or actually be a competitive car.

I honestly see this as a prime competitor for the Miata/Lotus which it what they were aiming for in design.

Last edited by TheHitman; 12-01-2011 at 08:34 PM.
Old 12-01-2011, 09:34 PM
10 Second Club

Exclamation

Most of the people on here are complain about weight becasue it is dilutive to the power to weight ratio. Removing weight will make those pople happy, but not if it doesn't have enough power.

Remember your audience is predominately made up of drag racers and street racers who like to go fast, not road racers and auto-xers that are much more concerned about vehicle balance and handling.

As far as comparisons to the civic SI, that car was also a turd that has a hard time out pacing a camry. Looking at this, it seems the 2012 V6 Camry will actually be faster than both from 0-60 and the 1/4 mile. (5.8 and 14.1 @ 101mph)
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...ad-test-review

Think about that for a second. They developed a "sports car" that is slower than their very own large family sedan, which is widely viewed as boring and appliance like.

Mazda's Rx-8 was also billed as a driver's car that possesed very nice handling, but was also under powered. I think we all know how well that worked. The more irksome part here is that the hotter motors are readily available and would probably bolt in with minimal changes, yet they come forward and say they will not offer them.
Exactly.

The red one in the photo one page back doesn't look too bad and it could possibly be a nice overall package if it really does come out in the $25k range. But personally, I'd still find a way drop the extra coin and be all over a base 370Z (only $31k before haggling, also fantastic handling and umm, oh yeah, 332hp LOL) long before this torqueless wonder.
And please don't throw the "yeah but this one has back seats" retort at me, this FT-86 has "back seats" much in the way that a Miata has good towing capabilities.
Old 12-02-2011, 01:26 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
Definitely going for a test drive when they hit dealers.
x2...
Old 12-02-2011, 01:31 AM
***Repost Police***

What I think when I read about that car is... S2000 - 200lbs - 40hp + better handling. While not very fast, sounds like a helluva car to drive hard. Cuz there are roads around here where you can do that.
Old 12-02-2011, 11:28 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by TheHitman
And the same goes for those who assume this won't sell well or actually be a competitive car.

I honestly see this as a prime competitor for the Miata/Lotus which it what they were aiming for in design.
Competitive against what, and in what capacity? People are not going to cross shop this with the Elise or the Miata. This platform is flexible enough to offer both a convertible and a sedan off of, so maybe then it can look at taking some miata sales which were about 6300 in the US last year, and will be under 6000 for 2011.

Don't get me wrong. I like the fact that they are getting back into this market somewhat, but give the car some power. Even the base WRX engine would leave more room for aftermarket upgrades.
Old 12-02-2011, 11:35 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by justin455
^If you can fit in the Mustang or Genesis (or anything close in size to them, like say a 4th gen Fbody) then you can fit in a Miata or this car. Look at the picture again, but remember which ones have 2+2 and which one just have the 2.
Being able to fit, and getting in and out without looking like a jackass are different stories...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=pf0Fcbk_2t0
Old 12-02-2011, 12:35 PM
TECH Veteran

Remember your audience is predominately made up of drag racers and street racers who like to go fast
I already know this, just trying to broaden some horizons.
Old 12-02-2011, 02:42 PM
On The Tree

yes please.
Old 12-02-2011, 02:45 PM
***Repost Police***

Yeah, I'd hit that.
Old 12-02-2011, 02:51 PM
On The Tree

i've always loved the Genesis... but have heard warry stories regarding the powerplant. This might be a better alternative, toyota makes some pretty nice things. Gutless or not, still probably a blast to drive, just like an S2K.
Old 12-02-2011, 06:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
Yeah, I'd hit that.
x2.

With a sledgehammer.
Old 12-02-2011, 11:57 PM
Staging Lane

Give the aftermarket time to catch up, and this thing will be a monster. Internals swap, turbo, and the tuning bugs figured out.. it has legend potential IMO. Hopefully, the block is tough, but what block isn't these days?
Old 12-03-2011, 12:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mellor_21
Give the aftermarket time to catch up, and this thing will be a monster. Internals swap, turbo, and the tuning bugs figured out.. it has legend potential IMO. Hopefully, the block is tough, but what block isn't these days?
Wait so you spend how much money buying a brand new car and then dump a bunch of money into it just to make it as fast as what... a stock LS1 from the late 90s?

Forgive my bench racing but I imagine this car stock should be good for 14s. Getting this car into the 12s isn't going to be a piece of cake. It already weighs nothing so I doubt there's much to be gained with weight reduction, it's not already boosted so a turbo setup would have to be fabricated, etc.

For the money I'd rather buy a clean C5 Z06 that'll whoop this little ricer at the dragstrip AND around a circuit.
Old 12-03-2011, 01:10 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Latch
For the money I'd rather buy a clean C5 Z06 that'll whoop this little ricer at the dragstrip AND around a circuit.
Oh but who cares if this car gets its *** kicked at the drag strip and the race track, it's all about having a car that puts a smile on your face as you watch someone blow by in their Camry (at the strip and I honestly thing around a track, probably not an auto-x course though), or when some soccer mom shuts you down with her minivan when you try to pass her

Hopefully they come out with a version that's equipped with the WRX engine so it will at least keep up with V6 Mustangs
Old 12-03-2011, 11:47 AM
***Repost Police***

I doubt people looking to buy this car will even think about getting an AT MINIMUM 8 year old Corvette. I swear, this is like trying to explain to RedHotG8 why I prefer manual transmissions
Old 12-03-2011, 11:57 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Latch
Wait so you spend how much money buying a brand new car and then dump a bunch of money into it just to make it as fast as what... a stock LS1 from the late 90s?

Forgive my bench racing but I imagine this car stock should be good for 14s. Getting this car into the 12s isn't going to be a piece of cake. It already weighs nothing so I doubt there's much to be gained with weight reduction, it's not already boosted so a turbo setup would have to be fabricated, etc.

Why are you comparing a BRAND NEW car to a car that's 10 years old with no warranty. Some people care about those things. Not everyone is like you and willing to buy a car that's not covered by a warranty.
Old 12-03-2011, 12:35 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by TheHitman
Why are you comparing a BRAND NEW car to a car that's 10 years old with no warranty. Some people care about those things. Not everyone is like you and willing to buy a car that's not covered by a warranty.
Looking at cars in the same price range (under $30k) that have been out for a few years already this car is going to get beat everywhere; so even comparing it to brand new cars shows that it sucks performance-wise. I just don't understand why they build such a great platform and then kill any chance it had at competing by not giving it any power.

Quick Reply: Revealed - Toyota FT-86 (Scion FR-S/Subaru BRZ in the US) RWD sports car