Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Revealed - Toyota FT-86 (Scion FR-S/Subaru BRZ in the US) RWD sports car

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2011, 12:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 171 Likes on 119 Posts

I don't think anyone here considers 7000rpm "lofty".

For the Camry vs Civic Si same family comment - HONDA Civic, TOYOTA Camry, not offered by the same company.

The looks arguement could last forever as it's purely subjective, so I won't say either way, but I bet this car appeals to certain people no doubt.

Driving dynamics - the arguements on hp vs weight/handling, etc are all valid based on individual driving preferences. Most here want torque, throttle response, then handling/low weight. However, this is a small community of car owners compared to the general public, and the general public rarely cross-shops 1/4 mile ETs when buying a car....
They go into a showroom, take the saleperson's pitch for a test drive, love or hate the car and make their decision from there.

My problem with this type of car is the same as say my issue with the RX-8. It gives the impression that it's fast when driving/riding in this small type of car....then every uneducated kid who gets their hands on one, goes out street racing every car he can find - his/her excuse for losing - "Yeah, but my car handles better and is way lighter than your pig," which is sometimes true, but remember that handling prowess doesn't always go to the lightest car. It is true that a car can have more weight, more power, and BETTER handling.

I'm not trying to say this car is garbage, I don't mind it at all. It's not for me, but I do think they will sell to a certain market. (I will be surprised to see it hit Miata sales figures, but who knows).
Old 12-03-2011, 12:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Some people want a great all around performance car without breaking the bank too much, and being reliable. Those people will buy a C5 Z06.
Some people want a light weight, bare bones, all out drivers cars. Those people will buy an Elise.
Some people want to be trendy, brand loyal and get a warranty. Those people will buy the FT86/BRZ.

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
I doubt people looking to buy this car will even think about getting an AT MINIMUM 8 year old Corvette. I swear, this is like trying to explain to RedHotG8 why I prefer manual transmissions
Good god, the horse is long dead, mangled, limbs coming off and everything. We get it, you think this car will be fun despite its lack power, just drop it already. Will the car be fun pushing the limits on the track? Very likely! Will the car be fun driving around on the street? Highly doubt it, atleast not for some. When you are used to endless torque at the touch of the throttle, beautiful sounds coming out of the exhaust (even at idle), and just that overall muscle feel you will likely be bored driving this on the street.
Ive driven a couple miata's before, I know the they are great fun pushing 11/10ths on the track because of their size/weight, nimbleness and they just go where you point them, easy to control etc. But on the street(not a curvy back road), good lord they are boring. Gutless, slow, sound terrible, and not enjoyable until you push them hard.
In contrast just cruising on the street in something like a C5 Z06, hearing that gorgeous exhaust rumble, and feeling all that torque, without pushing the car at all, is something completely different, fun - and you still get that very tight, taught feel.
Old 12-03-2011, 01:41 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gocartone
Looking at cars in the same price range (under $30k) that have been out for a few years already this car is going to get beat everywhere; so even comparing it to brand new cars shows that it sucks performance-wise. I just don't understand why they build such a great platform and then kill any chance it had at competing by not giving it any power.
That is stupid logic because, because comparing a brand new car to a car a few years old, I can get a used C6 Z06 for a lower price than a brand new GT500 and even to an extent less than a brand new fully loaded Gen 5 Camaro or CTS-V. Also we don't know what its gonna do exactly performance wise. They state 197hp and 2689lbs thats all we know. Just because a 2012 Camry can do something performance wise doesn't mean its going to be a better performer all around.
Old 12-03-2011, 01:50 PM
TECH Regular

Toyota should stop being retarded and catch up with nissan and and remake the supra and acura should drop the nsx bomb on us already.. I would like to see a worthy import battle again. instead of lame evo vs sti, that is old already.
Old 12-03-2011, 01:51 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Some people want a great all around performance car without breaking the bank too much, and being reliable. Those people will buy a C5 Z06.
Some people want a light weight, bare bones, all out drivers cars. Those people will buy an Elise.
Some people want to be trendy, brand loyal and get a warranty. Those people will buy the FT86/BRZ.
You know an elise is more expensive than both of the cars you mentioned. Also you aren't going to break the bank with a FT86. Its not all about being trendy. The BR-Z isn't out yet so we have yet to say that it isn't a drivers car or a decent track car. The Miata is not fast but its a great track and drivers car.

Good god, the horse is long dead, mangled, limbs coming off and everything. We get it, you think this car will be fun despite its lack power, just drop it already. Will the car be fun pushing the limits on the track? Very likely! Will the car be fun driving around on the street? Highly doubt it, atleast not for some. When you are used to endless torque at the touch of the throttle, beautiful sounds coming out of the exhaust (even at idle), and just that overall muscle feel you will likely be bored driving this on the street.
Ive driven a couple miata's before, I know the they are great fun pushing 11/10ths on the track because of their size/weight, nimbleness and they just go where you point them, easy to control etc. But on the street(not a curvy back road), good lord they are boring. Gutless, slow, sound terrible, and not enjoyable until you push them hard.
In contrast just cruising on the street in something like a C5 Z06, hearing that gorgeous exhaust rumble, and feeling all that torque, without pushing the car at all, is something completely different, fun - and you still get that very tight, taught feel.
This whole comment is subjective. Just because you like a certain exhaust tone or type of throttle response doesn't mean its for everybody. Its easy to say these things here but in the general car community the opnions will be vastly different.

Bottom line the car wasn't aimed at most of the people here who are looking for price for performance and a crapload of power, its for the guys looking for a car similar to the Miata, thats a hardtop etc.

As one person said above though which I fear is that some ricer will take the car and act like its the fastest car on the road just because its a light car.
Old 12-03-2011, 02:07 PM
***Repost Police***

So you must think the V6 Camaro REALLY sucks, gocart. Runs 14s AND weighs a thousand pounds more than this

Last edited by Irunelevens; 12-03-2011 at 02:12 PM.
Old 12-03-2011, 02:35 PM
TECH Resident

^Yes I do, but even with an extra 1000lbs of weight I would still put my money on that car beating this one everywhere.

Originally Posted by TheHitman
That is stupid logic because, because comparing a brand new car to a car a few years old, I can get a used C6 Z06 for a lower price than a brand new GT500 and even to an extent less than a brand new fully loaded Gen 5 Camaro or CTS-V. Also we don't know what its gonna do exactly performance wise. They state 197hp and 2689lbs thats all we know. Just because a 2012 Camry can do something performance wise doesn't mean its going to be a better performer all around.
Where did I say anything about a used car? I'm talking brand new cars that have been out for a few years already that beat this car everywhere with an MSRP under $30k. The V6 and V8 Mustang, Genisis V6, V6 Camaro (and possibly the V8 depending on where they price this car), just to list a few.
Old 12-03-2011, 02:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Latch
Wait so you spend how much money buying a brand new car and then dump a bunch of money into it just to make it as fast as what... a stock LS1 from the late 90s?

Forgive my bench racing but I imagine this car stock should be good for 14s. Getting this car into the 12s isn't going to be a piece of cake. It already weighs nothing so I doubt there's much to be gained with weight reduction, it's not already boosted so a turbo setup would have to be fabricated, etc.

For the money I'd rather buy a clean C5 Z06 that'll whoop this little ricer at the dragstrip AND around a circuit.
I see your point and agree with you since I feel kind of the same way, to an extent. However, this Toyota is I guess what's called a "drivers car", similar to an S2000, Miata, etc., while they're slow, they are a blast to drive at the limit. That pretty much seems to be the purpose of this car, it's not really meant to be very competitive, just a fun, inexpensive little car. Which is cool, but at the end of the day it's still slow
Old 12-03-2011, 04:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why are you comparing a BRAND NEW car to a car that's 10 years old with no warranty. Some people care about those things. Not everyone is like you and willing to buy a car that's not covered by a warranty.
So you're saying you have to buy this slow car because of the warranty, but if you mod it to make it half way fast, the warranty will be voided anyway. Z06 please.
Old 12-03-2011, 05:02 PM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by JD_AMG

I understand the merits of both types of cars. And I also understand that most of the stuff you mentioned is purely subjective. Both types of cars we're talking about are fun in their own ways, and it's up to each individual buyer to decide what they want from a car. And you're right, this has been beaten to death. From both sides.
Old 12-03-2011, 06:15 PM
On The Tree

So you're saying you have to buy this slow car because of the warranty, but if you mod it to make it half way fast, the warranty will be voided anyway. Z06 please.

Who said the person buying the car is going to mod it. Also as a C5 Z06 owner I can tell you there are people who aren't overly concerned with going fast and actually want a car that doesn't have outdated pop up headlights or a sub par interior. Lets not forget to mention the record of that used Z06 you buy due to people like me and some others who possibly will return their cars to stock when they sell them after putting a crap load of mods in the car, making it a gamble with the record of the used Z06.

Like I said before comparing an old car to a new car is retarded at best.
Old 12-03-2011, 06:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Who said the person buying the car is going to mod it. Also as a C5 Z06 owner I can tell you there are people who aren't overly concerned with going fast and actually want a car that doesn't have outdated pop up headlights or a sub par interior. Lets not forget to mention the record of that used Z06 you buy due to people like me and some others who possibly will return their cars to stock when they sell them after putting a crap load of mods in the car, making it a gamble with the record of the used Z06.
The C5 with its "outdated" pop-up headlights looks 100000x better than this Toyota. So the interior of the C5 isn't that great, well I don't see anything nice about this car's interior either.

And considering that you can get a C6 these days for under $30k, with its updated styling and better interior, walking away from a clean used C6 (which are mostly owned by 60 year old men who drive them at 40 mph) or C5 Z06 for a slow, ugly Toyota, now that's retarded.
Old 12-03-2011, 08:01 PM
Staging Lane

Wait so you spend how much money buying a brand new car and then dump a bunch of money into it just to make it as fast as what... a stock LS1 from the late 90s?

Forgive my bench racing but I imagine this car stock should be good for 14s. Getting this car into the 12s isn't going to be a piece of cake. It already weighs nothing so I doubt there's much to be gained with weight reduction, it's not already boosted so a turbo setup would have to be fabricated, etc.

For the money I'd rather buy a clean C5 Z06 that'll whoop this little ricer at the dragstrip AND around a circuit.
I'd be okay with this car as fast as a stock ls1 from the 90's.. but, no. I'm talking a real turbo and real tuning, more in the 400-500+ hp range. And whatever else the aftermarket comes up with. We all know that it'll be underpowered as all hell, which should kill a bit of the market price after say 3-5 years, which is when I'm hoping on the aftermarket to come in. Will it take a C5 Z06 dollar for dollar? Maybe, but that's also one HELL of a car to be compared against and, I believe, says a lot about the potential we're discussing.

Cliffs: It has a great setup and huge potential in my opinion. Fix the weak engine with some boost and a tune that takes advantage of the DI, plus internals.. and it will compare to a C5 Z06. On the track, street, or the strip. Especially once it's as old as the Z06 is now.
Old 12-03-2011, 08:20 PM
TECH Regular

Civic Si vs camry, is not even the same class. Civic si would be against corolla, and the camry would have to go against the accord or TL, Honda owns toyota (Excluding SUpra and yes LFA but that is 400k price tag( which is not worth that.) Anyways, subaru and toyota combining to create a car, and this is what they come up with I am dissappointed. Miatas are dead, they should not even make those cars anymore I never see them.
Old 12-03-2011, 08:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by mellor_21
Will it take a C5 Z06 dollar for dollar? Maybe, but that's also one HELL of a car to be compared against and, I believe, says a lot about the potential we're discussing.
The opposite is true. It just shows how useless this car is when it's going to be losing quite badly to cars that were brand new when I was still in elementary school.
Old 12-03-2011, 08:38 PM
***Repost Police***

Dude...this car is gonna be close to $20k. It's not exactly terrible that it doesn't perform like a $55k car did 7-10 years ago.
Old 12-03-2011, 09:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
Dude...this car is gonna be close to $20k. It's not exactly terrible that it doesn't perform like a $55k car did 7-10 years ago.
A basic LS1 Z28 was $20k back in 1998. I'm not saying a stock F-body will handle as well as this Toyota but it'll rape this thing in a straight line.
Old 12-03-2011, 09:13 PM
***Repost Police***

Sure will, very good!
Old 12-03-2011, 09:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

It's a completely different type of car, it's not meant to be compared to old 10 year old Corvette's and F-Body's. Like I said before, it's a new, inexpensive, responsive, fun, small car, similar to a Miata or an S2000. It is not meant for being super competitive, that kind of thing is for a different market of buyers and this car does not fall into that category. The hillbilly's in here can't seem to comprehend that though...
Old 12-03-2011, 09:17 PM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by TransAmWS.6
It's a completely different type of car, it's not meant to be compared to old 10 year old Corvette's and F-Body's. Like I said before, it's a new, inexpensive, responsive, fun, small car, similar to a Miata or an S2000. It is not meant for being super competitive, that kind of thing is for a different market of buyers and this car does not fall into that category. The hillbilly's in here can't seem to comprehend that though...
*Like*

Quick Reply: Revealed - Toyota FT-86 (Scion FR-S/Subaru BRZ in the US) RWD sports car