Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

ZL1 Tested vs BOSS

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 12:14 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by evolve
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...2_laguna_seca/

Like one should expect, the ZL1 did better at Laguna Seca. Good stuff GM. Next matchup... Well, we all know what that will be.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...l1-test-review

Car and Driver tested it at Indy in the 1/4 mile. 12.3 @ 119. The track was crap so we can assume a .1 or .2 second decrese in time with better conditions. We will see a stock ZL1 run 11s one day, just not that day.

looks to me like they ran it at inde motorsports park, not laguna.

of course a $54k 580hp car is going to hammer a $47k 444hp car. but wait...did it really hammer it, or just beat it a little?

while it's impressive on the surface.......it's not that impressive at all, although i'll say good job on them finally waking up and building a good car.
Old 01-24-2012, 12:20 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by UltraZLS1

I would like to see them test the 2012 SS and 2012 GT on a road course again and see what happens. I wouldnt be surprised if the camaro won handily.
I think the new suspension package on the Camaro should be tested against the Boss (non LS) rather than the GT, unless it comes standard. I highly doubt you will be able to get one for under $40k, which is what the standard Boss costs.
Old 01-24-2012, 12:55 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 1ltcap
looks to me like they ran it at inde motorsports park, not laguna.

of course a $54k 580hp car is going to hammer a $47k 444hp car. but wait...did it really hammer it, or just beat it a little?

while it's impressive on the surface.......it's not that impressive at all, although i'll say good job on them finally waking up and building a good car.
On a course like that, 2.45 seconds is an eternity, especially considering just how good the Boss already is. IMO, it got hammered.
Old 01-24-2012, 12:59 PM
TECH Junkie

I agree.

Also...GM produces 5 variants of the corvette as well. Ford only has the mustang to produce so it would only be logical they would offer more variations.
GM has a camaro v6, camaro ss, camaro zl1, regular corvette, corvette grand sport, corvette zo6, zo6 carbon, and corvette zr1. I think they may produce something like a z28 eventually though.
And for 2013, the 427 Convertible
Old 01-24-2012, 01:10 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
On a course like that, 2.45 seconds is an eternity, especially considering just how good the Boss already is. IMO, it got hammered.
ok......then it hammered a car that isn't even in the same class.......kinda like the vette hammering the shelby. 2 different classes. how does the zl1 stack up to the gt500 that's on the roads right now? after all, that's the one that's in its class.

i don't think there's a version of the camaro to go against either boss really.........i think both of the v8's are about in the class of the gt........perhaps chevy's got something else up their sleeve?
Old 01-24-2012, 01:18 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

ok......then it hammered a car that isn't even in the same class.......kinda like the vette hammering the shelby. 2 different classes. how does the zl1 stack up to the gt500 that's on the roads right now? after all, that's the one that's in its class.

i don't think there's a version of the camaro to go against either boss really.........i think both of the v8's are about in the class of the gt........perhaps chevy's got something else up their sleeve?
The BOSS was definitely the correct model to compare to, at least based off this article:

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...t/viewall.html

It has proven itself to be much more capable than the GT500 around a road course, which is what is being discussed here.
Old 01-24-2012, 01:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by gocartone
I think the new suspension package on the Camaro should be tested against the Boss (non LS) rather than the GT, unless it comes standard. I highly doubt you will be able to get one for under $40k, which is what the standard Boss costs.
No man... it isnt extra.

The fe4 is standard equipment on all SS models. You can get it on a 31k 1SS. That is why I was saying they should give the camaro another shot at the road course against a 12 GT...it only lost by .1 last time with the original suspension which was far too tame and unbalanced. You wouldnt believe the difference in my car after springs and PFADT sways.

If it is good enough...I think it would be nice to see it up against a Non LS BOSS. But I am guessing it was designed by GM to just edge out the GT. Not sure they would care about going after a Boss with an SS.

We will see.
Old 01-24-2012, 02:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

A purpose built track car with adjustable suspension, track key, a cage, race compound tires and no back seat with an msrp of 48k isnt in the same class as a ZL1 at 55k that comes with full options, a back seat and all creature comforts?
Ford boys would usually cry foul on the no back seat alone.

Parnelli jones would be disappointed to hear you say that lmao. Ford gave it everything they had with the boss from the shows I watched about it...they did everything but nut on the hood when they talked about it.

Last edited by UltraZLS1; 01-24-2012 at 02:24 PM.
Old 01-24-2012, 02:40 PM
TECH Resident

A purpose built track car with adjustable suspension, track key, a cage, race compound tires and no back seat with an msrp of 48k isnt in the same class as a ZL1 at 55k that comes with full options, a back seat and all creature comforts?

Parnelli jones would be disappointed to hear you say that lmao. Ford gave it everything they had with the boss from the shows I watched about it...they did everything but nut on the hood when they talked about it.
no need to cry foul. chevy had to pull out all the stops to do this.

and you know as well as i do that the back seat in either of these cars is useless.
Old 01-24-2012, 03:12 PM
TECH Junkie

and you know as well as i do that the back seat in either of these cars is useless.
I disagree with this. They could have just as easily put the LS9 in there, put racing seats in there and ditched the back seat. But with the ZL1 you still get all the gadgets, creature comforts, and bling, which is nice for most buyers.
Old 01-24-2012, 03:22 PM
***Repost Police***

No, it's not. The ZL1 and the GT500 are the only cars in their class. Comparing either one to a different model is retarded.
Old 01-24-2012, 03:31 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by evolve
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...2_laguna_seca/

Like one should expect, the ZL1 did better at Laguna Seca. Good stuff GM. Next matchup... Well, we all know what that will be.
At Laguna Seca? The track I see from the link is in Arizona... LS is in California... The Mustang tested against the ZL1 in this case is the Laguna Seca, but that's not the track... it looks much like it though.

That said, I think that gap is enough to say the ZL1 will all but certainly also beat the current GT500. The next... Idonno. It's gonna be much more powerful(100 or so) and have what I expect are far stickier tires than it's been using.

Originally Posted by NW-99SS
I will be the first to say it...I am impressed that it beat the Boss Laguna Seca around the track. The fact that it was faster through all the corners except one says a lot about the suspension and tire choice on the ZL1.
That's impressive, no doubt.

Originally Posted by MasterTomos
Also, has anyone noticed the GT500 doesn't exist yet? Meaning until it does actually debut and start production, the ZL1 is the fastest and best bang for the buck car $55k and under.
Huh? When did Ford pull the GT500 from showrooms? I've not seen the 1st ZL1 on a showroom floor and GM says it will be available in the spring(it's winter). So which isn't available yet?

I know, you meant the 2013 GT500, but hey... At least there is a GT500 available. That is, I could go to any number of dealerships and purchase 1 today if I wanted... AND then drive it off the lot the same day, if I wanted. I don't think I can say the same for the Camaro ZL1. Perhaps you can tell me where I can go drive one today??

Btw, does anyone know the pricing for the 2013 GT500? I'm guessing GM gave Ford a reason to bump pricing another 5-7k... Great for Ford and GM... Not great for the customer. Of course, the ZL1 is priced extremely low impo, because it surely has a production cost somewhere near the asking price. The next GT500 will be more of the same, but in a lesser fashion as far as I can tell... I believe it will cost more for GM than Ford to produce their respective model.
Old 01-24-2012, 04:13 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by MasterTomos
I disagree with this. They could have just as easily put the LS9 in there, put racing seats in there and ditched the back seat. But with the ZL1 you still get all the gadgets, creature comforts, and bling, which is nice for most buyers.
nope. they're using electronic suspension from the ctsv? and the supercharger from the top of the line vette i believe?
so they're using higher end stuff with a big engine with a supercharger in order to manage to beat a car with a "whacking great girder" for rear suspension with a little engine that's naturally aspirated.

now, if we go to the gt500, it's still got that same "whacking great girder" for rear suspension, and it's still got a little engine....but at least it's got a supercharger.
Old 01-24-2012, 04:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

They pulled out all the stops but didnt even use an LS9? They only bumped the power less than 30hp from the cts-v and this is only because of a more efficient intercooler. They threw in a motor that has been on the shelf for 4 years.

If they pulled out all the stops wouldnt they pull the seats? how about a roll cage as well? oh and how about some racing compound tires? How about lightening the car? Their is so much more they could have done it is not even funny.

I am not the one crying foul. You are the one who can not accept the fact that a 4100 lb camaro for 7k more with all the options beat a purpose built BOSS mustang weighing 500lbs less. You are crying foul saying they should not be compared. Fair enough...I disagree.
Old 01-24-2012, 04:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just for future reference.

If the 2013 GT500 with its performance options (like they always have) costs 5k or more over the ZL1 I will cry foul and the test will mean nothing. And I will point directly to this thread.

And not to mention...it is a 2013 model gt500 vs a 2012 model zl1. The Zl1 could still counter with a 2013 update. Ford is scrambling to catch up. If the 2012 zl1 beats the 2012 GT500 that is all that matters. The only way the gt500 gets any bragging rights is if it is priced within 5k of the zl1 with its options and is the same model year.

We are not allowed any type of leeway in comparison...so I will be just as stupid. I cant wait for the hypocritical comments in the future.
Old 01-24-2012, 04:47 PM
TECH Resident

Just for future reference.

If the 2013 GT500 with its performance options (like they always have) costs 5k or more over the ZL1 I will cry foul and the test will mean nothing. And I will point directly to this thread.

And not to mention...it is a 2013 model gt500 vs a 2012 model zl1. The Zl1 could still counter with a 2013 update. Ford is scrambling to catch up. If the 2012 zl1 beats the 2012 GT500 that is all that matters. The only way the gt500 gets any bragging rights is if it is priced within 5k of the zl1 with its options and is the same model year.

We are not allowed any type of leeway in comparison...so I will be just as stupid. I cant wait for the hypocritical comments in the future.
bolded...you've got that slightly backwards. it wasn't ford that had to add a supercharger and electronic suspension to beat the camaro, but rather chevy that had to do that to beat a mustang.
Old 01-24-2012, 04:51 PM
***Repost Police***

They pulled out all the stops but didnt even use an LS9? They only bumped the power less than 30hp from the cts-v and this is only because of a more efficient intercooler. They threw in a motor that has been on the shelf for 4 years.

If they pulled out all the stops wouldnt they pull the seats? how about a roll cage as well? oh and how about some racing compound tires? How about lightening the car? Their is so much more they could have done it is not even funny.

I am not the one crying foul. You are the one who can not accept the fact that a 4100 lb camaro for 7k more with all the options beat a purpose built BOSS mustang weighing 500lbs less. You are crying foul saying they should not be compared. Fair enough...I disagree.
They simply aren't competitors. Period.
Old 01-24-2012, 04:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

bolded...you've got that slightly backwards. it wasn't ford that had to add a supercharger and electronic suspension to beat the camaro, but rather chevy that had to do that to beat a mustang.
The mustang the zl1 beats has a supercharger as well. If you dont think it will beat a 2012 GT500 you are crazy. It was benchmarked to do just that. And it has NEVER run away from a boss like the zl1 did in any test.

And from a few tests I have seen...ford beat themselves without adding a supercharger...how freaking stupid is that?

And since when does a supercharger help in the turns?

Keep trying.
Old 01-24-2012, 05:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
They simply aren't competitors. Period.
Why...because you said so? A magazine who compares cars for a living seems to think it was valid enough to compare them. I think they have more of a say than you do whether you like it or not.

I disagree. I think any two cars priced within 7k of each other can be compared.

The SS gets compared to the 392 and the price difference is greater. The SS was compared to the gt500 and the price difference was nearly 20k.

7k would keep you from buying another car with far superior performance? It would not for me personally. Therefor I see them as competitors.
Old 01-24-2012, 05:13 PM
***Repost Police***

Why...because you said so? A magazine who compares cars for a living seems to think it was valid enough to compare them. I think they have more of a say than you do whether you like it or not.

I disagree. I think any two cars priced within 7k of each other can be compared.

The SS gets compared to the 392 and the price difference is greater. The SS was compared to the gt500 and the price difference was nearly 20k.
It's common sense. The GT and SS are competitors, the GT500 and ZL1 are competitors. DIRECT competitors. Now if Chevrolet finally decides to release a track-oriented version of the Camaro in the spirit of the Boss Mustangs, they will be direct competitors. The GT500 is the reason the ZL1 exists. For the time being, the Boss Mustangs have no direct competitors. The GT500 vs. SS comparison was dumb, and the SRT-8 is compared to the Mustang GT and Camaro SS because comparing it to the GT500 would be embarrassing. Car magazines and television shows compare cars all the time that shouldn't really be compared.

Quick Reply: ZL1 Tested vs BOSS