Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

ZL1 Tested vs BOSS

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 01:43 PM
10 Second Club

Received 443 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by 1QWIKZ
Right on with what??? Are u saying that a SS can give a GT500 a run for its money? Wow, gimme one of those SS factory freaks if thats the case...cuz as far as I have seen, an SS can't beat a GT..muchless a GT500
Please feel free to quote where I said that.
My buddy's 2012 SS Camaro ran a 12.9 @ 110.9 completely stock with 1300 miles, I'm sure it will get faster with break-in. All the gt500's I have seen has had atleast drag radials and have been between 12.7-11.8. Seems very similar results to me with the GT500 being faster.
Originally Posted by Irunelevens
Arguing with him is pointless. He's in a different world.
Yep....it's called reality. You should get off the net and try it sometime.
Old 01-20-2012, 01:48 PM
***Repost Police***

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
Please feel free to quote where I said that.
My buddy's 2012 SS Camaro ran a 12.9 @ 110.9 completely stock with 1300 miles, I'm sure it will get faster with break-in. All the gt500's I have seen has had atleast drag radials and have been between 12.7-11.8. Seems very similar results to me with the GT500 being faster.

Yep....it's called reality. You should get off the net and try it sometime.
So in your mind, GT500s are high 12s cars, because that's what you have personally seen? I'm not the only person telling you that thought process is flawed. But you just don't seem to understand.

Edit: Wait a sec, re-read what you said... 12.7-11.8? You don't think maybe that 12.8 was just a shitty driver? You're really gonna say that a time spread as large as that, is "similar" to a car that ran a 12.9, and only has potential to get a couple/few tenths faster?

Last edited by Irunelevens; 01-20-2012 at 01:53 PM.
Old 01-20-2012, 01:54 PM
10 Second Club

I do tend to go by what my eyes have seen, so yes if that is flawed then I guess I'm flawed.....am I the only one?

What don't I understand???? Is what I read on the et boards at the track wrong?.....Are these testers in the vid's I posted wrong? They seem to be right-on with the Camaro.

Please help me see threw my blindness and lack of understanding.
Old 01-20-2012, 02:00 PM
***Repost Police***

You simply ignore times that people run everywhere else in the country. To get a realistic idea of what a car is *capable* of, you need to take into account what all sorts of people are running. Cuz guess what? All this stuff you are saying is nothing but "internet times" too. Just because it didn't happen at your track, doesn't make it any less "real-world."
Old 01-20-2012, 02:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gocartone
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this the same guy (the test driver) that loved the numb feeling of the GTR and hated the raw feeling of the Z06? Maybe they should hire someone else to do the test driving
I commented on that as well. His comments on the Boss seem to be the opposite of what every other tester has said, including other MT testers. MT had it in contention for "driver car of the year" lol.

http://www.motortrend.com/features/p...car_contender/
Old 01-20-2012, 03:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 88blackgt
I commented on that as well. His comments on the Boss seem to be the opposite of what every other tester has said, including other MT testers. MT had it in contention for "driver car of the year" lol.

http://www.motortrend.com/features/p...car_contender/
OK... I guess I will be the first to say. ZL1 vs LS Boss test was BS. let the flamming begin.
Old 01-20-2012, 03:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Arguing with him is pointless. He's in a different world.
Starting to see that too...and i thought i was delusional
Old 01-20-2012, 04:41 PM
10 Second Club

So in your mind, GT500s are high 12s cars, because that's what you have personally seen? I'm not the only person telling you that thought process is flawed. But you just don't seem to understand.

Edit: Wait a sec, re-read what you said... 12.7-11.8? You don't think maybe that 12.8 was just a shitty driver? You're really gonna say that a time spread as large as that, is "similar" to a car that ran a 12.9, and only has potential to get a couple/few tenths faster?
Maybe you should reread it again and notice where I said all were on a drag radial....that means not stock. 2 of the 3 definitly had atleast exhaust and only 1 made it to the high 11's. I guess you've never heard of modifications.

You simply ignore times that people run everywhere else in the country. To get a realistic idea of what a car is *capable* of, you need to take into account what all sorts of people are running. Cuz guess what? All this stuff you are saying is nothing but "internet times" too. Just because it didn't happen at your track, doesn't make it any less "real-world."
I know there are other times on the cars but I was comparing same day, same track which is the only way to keep it somewhat accurate. We are talking stock cars not what they are "capable" of. The record for a stock 5th gen is 12.6.....by your standards that is what it is "capable" of??????

So your saying the times I have seen at the track with my own eyes are "internet times"?
Originally Posted by 1QWIKZ
Starting to see that too...and i thought i was delusional
You must be as twisted as he is.
Old 01-20-2012, 05:10 PM
TECH Resident

Old 01-20-2012, 06:17 PM
***Repost Police***

Maybe you should reread it again and notice where I said all were on a drag radial....that means not stock. 2 of the 3 definitly had atleast exhaust and only 1 made it to the high 11's. I guess you've never heard of modifications.

I know there are other times on the cars but I was comparing same day, same track which is the only way to keep it somewhat accurate. We are talking stock cars not what they are "capable" of. The record for a stock 5th gen is 12.6.....by your standards that is what it is "capable" of??????

So your saying the times I have seen at the track with my own eyes are "internet times"?

Yes, at a good track with good DA, a well-driven 6spd 5th gen is a mid-high 12s car. Did you not know that? And yes, since YOU are telling ME about times you witnessed, and we are on the internet, technically this is no different than me going on Google and searching. And since you weren't even the one running the times in question, it's second-hand internet information. And I would disregard most of what you say, just like I do now. I would much rather know what a car is capable of from looking at the times that people all across the country run, instead of only what I see. Because you, me, and Jesus all know that 12.8 from a GT500 with drag radials is pitiful. So while you might keep it in the back of your mind that they apparently aren't that easy to launch, you also need to be able to understand what they CAN do in the right hands. And you also need to understand the differences between the years...
Old 01-20-2012, 06:24 PM
10 Second Club

I understand all that. No one ever said what the best times were in the country for a "stock" GT500 which can also be skewed by great da and great track prep. I was comparing same day same track just as the magizines did. Which seems on par.
Old 01-20-2012, 06:27 PM
***Repost Police***

And the entire point was, they might seem on par for what YOU see. But that only means something to YOU.
Old 01-20-2012, 06:55 PM
TECH Resident

I was comparing same day same track just as the magizines did. Which seems on par.
But different drivers, which makes a WAY bigger difference than the track and conditions do. I was (full bolt-ons) outrunning a C6 Z06 at the track all day long, same track same day, does that mean my car is quicker than his?
Old 01-20-2012, 07:03 PM
10 Second Club

I under the different drivers. The mags should use the same drivers, I'm sure they switch off when they're testing these things. Actual track results will very.....drivers will very,. Not evrything is gonna be perfect for everybody......jesus christ you guys nit pick **** to death. Sometimes **** is what it is.
Old 01-20-2012, 08:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

This entire debate is pointless. The Boss is a throwback, track-focused trim level that falls in between the GT and the GT500. The ZL1 is going to be the top dog Camaro. The GT500 has had the King of Hill status to itself for nearly 5 years now...and with very little fan fair as far as I can tell. The ZL1 coming onto the scene will just make things more interesting. The fanboys can soil themselves over these cars and get their panties in a bunch arguing with each other till their blue in the face over which car will reign supreme on race track X or Y. The rest of us will just sit back and think..."****, these damn cars are getting fast".

The day that the losing car on a given track day has to have its production line shut down permanently as a consequence is the day that these fanboy debates will hold water. Until that day, it's just verbal masturbation. I'll repeat something I always say....buy what you like, and stop trying to force everyone else to be impressed with you for your choice.
Old 01-21-2012, 11:39 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Can't we all just get along?

Let's keep in mind that we are living in an era of supreme street car performance. There was a time in the 80's when it seemed this time would never exist. We are truly fortunate.
Old 01-21-2012, 11:47 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by LS1-450
Can't we all just get along?

Let's keep in mind that we are living in an era of supreme street car performance. There was a time in the 80's when it seemed this time would never exist. We are truly fortunate.
I can live with that!

I just can't understand why these guys think this Ford **** is so unbeatable.
Old 01-21-2012, 11:51 AM
***Repost Police***

Nobody thinks that.
Old 01-21-2012, 01:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts

I can live with that!

I just can't understand why these guys think this Ford **** is so unbeatable.
Like how when road and track tested the GT and SS on a road course and the SS lost by .1? And now all we hear is that the SS handles like garbage and the GT is supreme? Now we have a ZL1 beating the BOSS laguna seca by 2.4 seconds per lap and it is too close? All you can do is shake your head and move on.
Now that the SS has the FE4 suspension I would suspect it will pick up a lot more than .1 per lap and now out-handle the GT...something else that is never mentioned. Are they ever going to re-test them on a road course against each other? The 5th gen platform is an awesome handler...they just went a bit too conservative at first and needed some time to dial it in.
After I changed the springs and sways on my car the handling is amazing. It felt decent enough stock...but now it is great.
Old 01-21-2012, 01:47 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by UltraZLS1
Like how when road and track tested the GT and SS on a road course and the SS lost by .1? And now all we hear is that the SS handles like garbage and the GT is supreme? Now we have a ZL1 beating the BOSS laguna seca by 2.4 seconds per lap and it is too close? All you can do is shake your head and move on.
Now that the SS has the FE4 suspension I would suspect it will pick up a lot more than .1 per lap and now out-handle the GT...something else that is never mentioned. Are they ever going to re-test them on a road course against each other? The 5th gen platform is an awesome handler...they just went a bit too conservative at first and needed some time to dial it in.
After I changed the springs and sways on my car the handling is amazing. It felt decent enough stock...but now it is great.
I've mentioned it...but that goes right over their heads. I drove my buddies new 12 fe4 car on some backroads the other week. It's the best handleing car I have driven short of race cars.

FYI ....I used to do some independant acceleration testing for BMW, M3's, M5's, Z3's...their whole line really. So yes I know how good those cars are.

Quick Reply: ZL1 Tested vs BOSS