Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

most and least reliable brands

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 05:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Default most and least reliable brands

http://www.wjla.com/pictures/2012/02...7166-1216.html

slideshow here. chrysler is terrible as usual.

http://www.wjla.com/articles/2012/02...ays-72651.html
Old 02-19-2012, 05:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

camaro gets a recommended buy.

http://autos.yahoo.com/articles/auto...reliable-cars/
Old 02-19-2012, 06:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Hmmmm, Chrysler seems like they have been putting out some really nice stuff in recent years, kind of surprised at that.

Good to read that GM has truly supposedly improved their quality though, I know ours always have some type of problem going on with them. We have 3 GM's at our household and each of them have their own quality related issues, even the 10k mile C6. The Toyota FJ we have has 80k HARD miles on it and it's perfect however.
Old 02-19-2012, 10:20 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Next door neighbor sold me his "POS" 2000 Chevy Silverado for $1000....had 120k miles at the time. He then bought a new FJ and that thing started squeaking as bad as the 120k mile Silverado within 2k miles. Took it in several times, but Toyota couldn't track it down. He said screw it and put a lift on it, made it into a pretty badass trail ride.

Btw, the Silverado has 165k miles now and hasn't missed a beat. I tuned it up when I first got it and haven't touched it since. Still squeaks like hell though!

Last edited by 99Hawk262; 02-19-2012 at 10:29 PM.
Old 02-19-2012, 11:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yet again VW so bad they aren't even on the list. Ouch.
Old 02-19-2012, 11:58 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Marc3.4V6
Yet again VW so bad they aren't even on the list. Ouch.
Sure they are, just not in the top or bottom 5.

http://businesscenter.jdpower.com/JD...12008-vds1.pdf(scroll down to pg four and see the list), which includes VW at "only" 169 PP100 vehicles.

There are a few surprises for me, including that Dodge nameplates rank so badly they're in all of the lowest 3 spots. That's just plain sad. I was also surprised that BMW was so low.
Old 02-20-2012, 02:16 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by TransAmWS.6
Good to read that GM has truly supposedly improved their quality though, I know ours always have some type of problem going on with them. We have 3 GM's at our household and each of them have their own quality related issues
I guess I've been pretty damn lucky...my now 12 year old Camaro Z28 (that's been mildly modified (high 11s) and VERY raced since it was 5 months old) and 5 year old C6 (also modified, runs 10s) have shown absolutely impeccable reliability/dependability and are both still squeak and rattle free to this day (especially the Corvette).
My brother's Z28 has been the same way (we ordered them at the same time) too.
Old 02-20-2012, 02:18 AM
Launching!

no surprises really...
Old 02-20-2012, 09:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 99Hawk262
Next door neighbor sold me his "POS" 2000 Chevy Silverado for $1000....had 120k miles at the time. He then bought a new FJ and that thing started squeaking as bad as the 120k mile Silverado within 2k miles. Took it in several times, but Toyota couldn't track it down. He said screw it and put a lift on it, made it into a pretty badass trail ride.

Btw, the Silverado has 165k miles now and hasn't missed a beat. I tuned it up when I first got it and haven't touched it since. Still squeaks like hell though!
Don't know what the deal is with the Toyota, ours has been running flawless now and my father beats on that truck very hard. It's taken it much better than the 2 Chevy trucks we have had that played the same role as the FJ does.

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
I guess I've been pretty damn lucky...my now 12 year old Camaro Z28 (that's been mildly modified (high 11s) and VERY raced since it was 5 months old) and 5 year old C6 (also modified, runs 10s) have shown absolutely impeccable reliability/dependability and are both still squeak and rattle free to this day (especially the Corvette).
My Dad's '07 C6 has 10k miles on it (bolt-on's), car is a garage queen, completely babied since day 1, the targa rattles badly and the heat and A/C when blowing creates an annoying little tapping noise under the dash. Not a big deal or anything, but kind of strange for a car that gets treated the way that C6 does.

Daily driven Camaro in my sig with 72k miles, well, don't even get me started on all the creaks, squeaks and rattles that car has. But I have to admit, I haven't had any major mechanical problems with it since I bought it with 67k. So, hopefully this one holds up.

So yes, maybe we just have bad luck, but we still love the both of those cars though.

I'll also say that the 5.3 Suburban Z71 we have needed a new motor at 111k miles.
Old 02-21-2012, 07:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by TransAmWS.6
My Dad's '07 C6 has 10k miles on it (bolt-on's), car is a garage queen, completely babied since day 1, the targa rattles badly
Tell him to ditch those runcraps.
Daily driven Camaro in my sig with 72k miles, well, don't even get me started on all the creaks, squeaks and rattles that car has. But I have to admit, I haven't had any major mechanical problems with it since I bought it with 67k. So, hopefully this one holds up.
Take care of the car, replace the rubber bushings (mainly rear LCAs, and swaybar bushings), and most importantly get some good shocks on there(not because the shocks themselves make noise, but because poor shocks like stock or autozone replacement will cause rattles by letting vibrations into the chassis that shouldn't be there in the first place), that should take care of 99% (if not 100%) of the noises.
Old 02-21-2012, 09:58 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
Not for nuthin'... how can the 2 cars both be squeak & rattle free, but "especially" one more than the other?

I'd say you're just so used to it, you don't notice the rattling(particularly an F-body, known practically the world over for squeaks and rattles). I thought little or nothing of the rattles in my old pickup, till I bought an SUV which actually had none. It was like I had inserted ear plugs.
Old 02-21-2012, 11:27 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Tell him to ditch those runcraps.

Take care of the car, replace the rubber bushings (mainly rear LCAs, and swaybar bushings), and most importantly get some good shocks on there(not because the shocks themselves make noise, but because poor shocks like stock or autozone replacement will cause rattles by letting vibrations into the chassis that shouldn't be there in the first place), that should take care of 99% (if not 100%) of the noises.
Good advice.

Originally Posted by It'llrun
Not for nuthin'... how can the 2 cars both be squeak & rattle free, but "especially" one more than the other?
Perhaps I used a bad choice of wording there, both cars are squeak and rattle free and I should've also added (as I normally do when describing how impressed I am with these two cars) that they're both quite structurally solid and tight, with the Corvette being notably more so in that area and also quieter inside (better sound deadening/less 'road noise' etc.).
I know that isn't in total alignment with most people's description of 4th gen F-bodies but my car is a low optioned hard top (pretty light) on stock suspension/16" wheels and is pretty well maintained (if a panel is loose, I tighten it) as well. I think many of the squeaks/rattles that owners experience come from stiffer/lowered suspensions and the lower profile tires that are typically use with 17/18" wheels combined with t-tops.

Originally Posted by It'llrun
I'd say you're just so used to it, you don't notice the rattling(particularly an F-body, known practically the world over for squeaks and rattles). I thought little or nothing of the rattles in my old pickup, till I bought an SUV which actually had none. It was like I had inserted ear plugs.
No, it's not that I'm simply used to it nor am I imagining it LOL, the car is pretty tight.
Old 02-23-2012, 04:14 AM
Staging Lane

Never had any problems with any of the GM vehicles in my sig, except the 98 grand prix having a bad water pump and a bad injector on cyl #4, changed and no further issues
Old 02-23-2012, 04:32 PM
TECH Veteran

they put the same damn company in 4 spots ******* fail
Old 02-23-2012, 04:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Wnts2Go10O
they put the same damn company in 4 spots ******* fail
yes, but theyre different brands.chrysler overall is one big pile of fail.
Old 02-23-2012, 04:58 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by ULTIMATEORANGESS
yes, but theyre different brands.chrysler overall is one big pile of fail.
yes, they are different brands. still all the same parts and pieces.
Old 02-23-2012, 05:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Smile

Originally Posted by Wnts2Go10O
yes, they are different brands. still all the same parts and pieces.
just as if chevy, buick and cadillac have rankings.

but youre right about one thing. they are all the same parts and pieces.....of crap.

Quick Reply: most and least reliable brands