Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

ZL1 Wins overall vs new GT500

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2012, 06:02 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ULTIMATEORANGESS
and a zl1 has enough power for more than 90% than most need but who cares. if you drive like an idiot you'll wreck regardless.

i prefer straight line performance also but i also like a car that handles well. it makes driving more enjoyable.
Are you implying the GT500 doesn't handle well? I bet you would be more than satisfied with its handling on the street and road course. I also bet you and the vast majority of the public would use the GT500's straight line power advantage much more than the ZL's handling advantage.
Old 06-14-2012, 06:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Smile

Originally Posted by MI-Z/28
Are you implying the GT500 doesn't handle well? I bet you would be more than satisfied with its handling on the street and road course. I also bet you and the vast majority of the public would use the GT500's straight line power advantage much more than the ZL's handling advantage.
i never implied any such thing.

and i doubt were going to see enough of these cars to matter how theyre driven.

but since you brought it up most people i see driving gt500s are older people and they didnt seem interested in racing.
Old 06-14-2012, 06:19 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by firebird99
Like I said you can't comprehend the fact that Hp and et's aren't everything. You further prove that buy saying people that buy the ZL1 are either fan boys or track queens is plan ignorant. It's a great all around car that is very capable to do anything you want as does the GT500 but it's seems based of this comparison that the ZL1 is better why can't you accept that? Maybe your to much of a fanboy to see the truth.....
Lol me a fanboy? No. Im just here sharing my opinion, ive owned several hondas, worked on mustangs, this firebird being my first GM car, i love it. Im a fan of all cars. Is the ZL1 a nice car? Yes (never said it wasn't).

But the whole argument the OP has is that it is the ZL1 is the better "overall" car because it handles better?

Do you think someone who plans to daily drive, occasionally drag race (whether street or strip) will be interested in the ZL1? If he has the more powerful GT500 with the same price tag, also being that the GT500 is forged from factory, not cast like the ZL1.

So by that being said the only way anyone would pick the ZL1 over the GT500 is because the potential buyer is either a big fan of GM or he will be using it at the track alot.

If handling is your only motivation to choose the ZL1 over the GT500 and straight line performance is of no concern to you then go out and buy that turd *** scion FR-5 and save your money.
Old 06-14-2012, 07:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by adamantium
Lol me a fanboy? No. Im just here sharing my opinion, ive owned several hondas, worked on mustangs, this firebird being my first GM car, i love it. Im a fan of all cars. Is the ZL1 a nice car? Yes (never said it wasn't).

But the whole argument the OP has is that it is the ZL1 is the better "overall" car because it handles better?

Do you think someone who plans to daily drive, occasionally drag race (whether street or strip) will be interested in the ZL1? If he has the more powerful GT500 with the same price tag, also being that the GT500 is forged from factory, not cast like the ZL1.

So by that being said the only way anyone would pick the ZL1 over the GT500 is because the potential buyer is either a big fan of GM or he will be using it at the track alot.

If handling is your only motivation to choose the ZL1 over the GT500 and straight line performance is of no concern to you then go out and buy that turd *** scion FR-5 and save your money.
I guess your interpretation to the term "better overall" is different then most and based on that you will never understand why they placed them the way they did.
Old 06-14-2012, 07:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MI-Z/28
I'm tired of the handling argument. The GT500's handling capabilities are well beyond what I or 90% of everyone else can take advantage of. I think for most people the GT500 is the better performer. Stop light to stop light and passing on the highways and county roads are where the vast majority of us will take advantage of a vehicle's performance. I don't need the ability to take a hairpin turn at 100mph on shitty public roads. Much better chance of wreaking my car trying to be a canyon carver than straight line sprints.
Funny you bring up stop light to stop light because most people can't launch a 6 speed car as hard as a auto car and it becomes even more so on the street so the ZL1 will not be a slouch in that department either.
Old 06-14-2012, 07:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Smile

Funny you bring up stop light to stop light because most people can't launch a 6 speed car as hard as a auto car and it becomes even more so on the street so the ZL1 will not be a slouch in that department either.
good point.

bottom line is both of these cars are priced out of range for most enthusiasts anyway.
Old 06-14-2012, 09:40 PM
TECH Resident

look at the numbers. very close.

zl1= so easy a cave man can drive it.
shelby= drivers car.
Old 06-14-2012, 09:41 PM
TECH Resident

some can.
Old 06-14-2012, 10:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 1ltcap

shelby= drivers car.
Weak sauce

some can.
Ahh that sir is why I said "most" and not "all" either way you didn't disagree........
Old 06-14-2012, 10:51 PM
On The Tree

There was a good comparison between the ZL1 and the Boss 302 Laguna Seca. Nobody is gonna argue that the Boss 302 is set up much better in the handling department then the gt500 even though it has less power. The comparison shows the Zl1 has the advantage over the boss 302 in all the categories except long sweepers where the lighter 302 can grip better then the heavier ZR1 which is pulled out mid corner. Other then that small setback the ZL1 still won that comparison as well.

Old 06-14-2012, 11:01 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by thatoneguybriz
There was a good comparison between the ZL1 and the Boss 302 Laguna Seca. Nobody is gonna argue that the Boss 302 is set up much better in the handling department then the gt500 even though it has less power. The comparison shows the Zl1 has the advantage over the boss 302 in all the categories except long sweepers where the lighter 302 can grip better then the heavier ZR1 which is pulled out mid corner. Other then that small setback the ZL1 still won that comparison as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OE4AH4DZtEI
True but what you failed to realize is that the 13' GT500 was created with beating its "juniors" in everything. The 5.0s were bolting on mods and running 10s and the Boss was out handling the older GT500s. Ford stepped up their game in all departments to create the GT500. I am not saying it will beat the ZL1, but it was not made to beat a ZL1 in corners. It was made to beat the Boss and GT in both cornering, breaking, and speed.
Old 06-14-2012, 11:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by evolve
I am not saying it will beat the ZL1, but it was not made to beat a ZL1 in corners. It was made to beat the Boss and GT in both cornering, breaking, and speed.
That is the first time I've ever heard someone say it wasn't built to beat the ZL1 in the corners.
Old 06-15-2012, 12:15 AM
Launching!

again, bear in mind, most of the guys you see putting the zl1 down on here, are the chevy guys. most of the ford guys seem to be giving it the respect it deserves.......
Well what can we say, us GM guys are just used to comparing the numbers to the corvette, which is always a big step up from the camaro. It sounds like an excuse to the ford kids, but it really isn't. We have an older brother in our family, and we just can't be better than it.

And the initial reason why the 5th gen didn't get the respect it deserved is because for being gone 8yrs, it barely improved numbers wise versus the fbody, which was slap in the face to the enthusiasts.

But with that said GM doesn't make money off the enthusiasts, they make money selling cars to the masses and the 5th gen has been kicking mustangs *** from the day it came out so GM really did win!
Old 06-15-2012, 12:28 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ULTIMATEORANGESS
and a zl1 has enough power for more than 90% than most need but who cares. if you drive like an idiot you'll wreck regardless.

i prefer straight line performance also but i also like a car that handles well. it makes driving more enjoyable.
And lets not forget about the ride quality of the vehicle. Anybody that moved from an f-body to a c5 can attest for this statement of how much better their butts felts lol

And all you kids need to chill out cause probably within a week or two both MotorTrend and Car&Driver and bunch of tuner magazines will have compared the two on the track and the definite truth will be out as far as how much faster(or even) the two are in the twisties(cause we already know the cobras faster in the straight line).
Old 06-15-2012, 12:35 AM
Launching!

shelby= drivers car.
That is THE stupidest way to interpret that, says the mustang owner

You ask any professional race car driver and they'll answer and praise the same of how much the car was giving them perfect feedback and giving them the confident to push the car to it's limit ect. Not how much they loved the haste of wrestling with the car that didn't give them confident to push it.

God that was a dumb logic, I hope you were joking!
Old 06-15-2012, 12:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

these cars sound too quiet
Old 06-15-2012, 01:50 AM
10 Second Club

Lightbulb

Good point...in any straight line contest the 2013 GT500 is clearly the winner every single time (against the manual or automatic ZL1) with a good driver in both cars. But when talking about just 'average' or 'new to a manual trans' type drivers the automatic ZL1 will put up a very solid fight.
Now, I'm never one to look at the 'average' or the 'what most people run' numbers when it comes to performance, only the all out best capabilities so from that perspective it's still all GT500, in a straight line at least.
Old 06-15-2012, 04:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
Good point...in any straight line contest the 2013 GT500 is clearly the winner every single time (against the manual or automatic ZL1) with a good driver in both cars. But when talking about just 'average' or 'new to a manual trans' type drivers the automatic ZL1 will put up a very solid fight.
Now, I'm never one to look at the 'average' or the 'what most people run' numbers when it comes to performance, only the all out best capabilities so from that perspective it's still all GT500, in a straight line at least.
I agree with you on the GT500 being the out right fastest in a straight line but alot of people are butt hurt by the ZL1 beating the GT500 in this comparasion because they say people spend more time going fast then taking the twisties so to that I say most of us play from lights or impromptu dig races at which the auto will be hard to beat.
Old 06-15-2012, 06:21 AM
On The Tree

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by adamantium
The cars alright but like i said, you can't compare the ZL1 with the GT500. The GT500 is on another level. I can see someone preferring the ZL1 over the GT500 only if A. They are GM fan boys or B. If they are going to be at the track every week. Lets be serious here though 1/10 people on here go to the track enough to justify the tiny marginal difference between the two on the track. People on here are such nut hugging GM fan boys. That they wont let this die already. Ford decimated GM this year.

Funny you say ricer, you are aware that japan has always had superior handling cars than the U.S right? So saying that the ZL1 is AWESOME because it handles great and then saying japanesse or hondas are ricer then it just shows how retarded you are.

Have you ever owned a civic? have you ever owned a FWD car and taken turns with it? Im not sure if your aware but there are NA civics out there at the track destroying vipers/corvettes and other high end cars. So saying a FWD CANT handle is just a retarded opinion if obviously there are other out there doing work with them at the track

Let me know when IRL goes FWD, because its obviously superior...

Did you know that japan has always had more reliable cars as well?

Sorry, I was unaware of Civics handling capabilities, can you show me a comparo of these STOCK civics vs. Vipers/Corvettes? Handling only obviously.

"Ford decimated GM this year."- yeah, we are the fanboys. you keep on

*Edit- "I can see someone preferring the ZL1 over the GT500 only if A. They are GM fan boys or B. If they are going to be at the track every week." LOL, you talk like 580 is nothing because the GT500 has more? get your head out of your *** and realize that you dont have to be racing every weekend to prefer one over the other when both of which have more than enough power for the street.

Last edited by zz4camaro1980; 06-15-2012 at 07:29 AM.
Old 06-15-2012, 06:59 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by unit213
Straight line performance is flat out an embarrassment.
GM flapping their gums about the ZL1 dominating the GT500 is an embarrassment. Being happy with "the twisties" is an embarrassment. Ford kicked GM's ***. That should be an embarrassment.

Handling? Is this Honda tech.com?
+1... I dont care for the new Camaro at all. Stop putting on weight and offsetting the extra power you are giving these cars GM. Pull your head out of your *** and get back down to 3400lbs. Trash the retro look and come up with something new. Above all else, When we are beat, dont go ranting about handling/ride quality. This is ls1tech, not 240sx forums. /endrant.

Quick Reply: ZL1 Wins overall vs new GT500