Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Edmunds Track-Test - 2012 Camaro ZL1 vs 2013 Mustang GT500

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 10:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
So I guess nobody will argue against me that S2000 > F-body, right? 8mph slower in the 1/4 mile, but the handling/feel difference is WAY bigger than the GT500/ZL1 comparison, so this should be an easy consensus, right?
Great comparison.

On a side note the gap in 1/4 mile times is consistently half a second
Old 06-28-2012, 05:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

So I guess nobody will argue against me that S2000 > F-body, right? 8mph slower in the 1/4 mile, but the handling/feel difference is WAY bigger than the GT500/ZL1 comparison, so this should be an easy consensus, right?
You know what you are doing...
Very apples to oranges comparison there, drop top gutless/buzzy sports car vs muscle car.
Both the GT500 and ZL1 are fast, powerful muscle cars, the Zl1 just drives more refined/better (according to the articles). So you still get a powerful muscle car that is also refined.
Where as with the 4th gen fbody vs S2000, the S2K is pretty slow regardless (yes, 14s @ 100 launching the car like you stole it is slow) - even though its only an 8mph difference, the Fbody has torque everywhere and doesn't have to be driven like you hate it to get good numbers out of it (whether that be in a strait line or on a track). If both cars had atleast similar character to them like the GT500/ZL1 it would be a different story.

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
I think what bothers me the most is that these magazine articles are using an unknown, subjective weighting system to determine the overall winner, but are passing it off like they were 100% objective about the whole thing. That's fine if they want to declare a winner based off of the fuzzy, warm feelings they get from the ZL1, but at least be honest that that's what you are doing.
Im not rooting for either car (I couldn't care less, for that price Id buy a vette) but they are picking the car by the way its feels/drives vs the [similar] numbers it puts down while still having the muscle car character like the GT500.
Old 06-28-2012, 06:28 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Very apples to oranges comparison there, drop top gutless/buzzy sports car vs muscle car.
Both the GT500 and ZL1 are fast, powerful muscle cars, the Zl1 just drives more refined/better (according to the articles). So you still get a powerful muscle car that is also refined.
Where as with the 4th gen fbody vs S2000, the S2K is pretty slow regardless (yes, 14s @ 100 launching the car like you stole it is slow) - even though its only an 8mph difference, the Fbody has torque everywhere and doesn't have to be driven like you hate it to get good numbers out of it (whether that be in a strait line or on a track). If both cars had atleast similar character to them like the GT500/ZL1 it would be a different story.
The GT500/ZL1 battle is exactly the same as the S2K/F-body when talking straight line performance. Sure, both cars are fast, but the GT500 makes the Camaro look slow, just as the F-body does to the S2K. Mid-13s at 105 isn't that much faster than 14s at 100 to compare apples to apples.
Old 06-29-2012, 01:18 PM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by JD_AMG

Im not rooting for either car (I couldn't care less, for that price Id buy a vette) but they are picking the car by the way its feels/drives vs the [similar] numbers it puts down while still having the muscle car character like the GT500.
I intentionally exaggerated (slightly) the comparison to highlight the ridiculousness of the discussion. If this was a 2002 F-body v. 2005 Mustang comparison, nobody that is defending this comparison would agree that the Mustang is the better car (which it is) for the sole reason that it is a little slower. Closer than the GT500/ZL1, truthfully.
Old 06-29-2012, 06:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I intentionally exaggerated (slightly) the comparison to highlight the ridiculousness of the discussion. If this was a 2002 F-body v. 2005 Mustang comparison, nobody that is defending this comparison would agree that the Mustang is the better car (which it is) for the sole reason that it is a little slower. Closer than the GT500/ZL1, truthfully.
Some people will always be blinded by there dedication to there favorite brand regardless of the facts and there's nothing we can do about that. Everyone has there own idea of what a sports car should be and some would like more power others would like a more balanced package and thankfully we have two badass cars to choose from regardless of which camp you stand behind. Anyone that's surprised that the zl1 is winning all the mag guys over shouldn't be because we know there testing these cars based on every aspect of the car not only on performance stats. Now for those who say the zl1 sucks because it's slow I hope you drive a car that's faster stock since comparing your modded car to a stock car opens an infinite can of worms that would never stop.

Quick Reply: Edmunds Track-Test - 2012 Camaro ZL1 vs 2013 Mustang GT500