Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Motor Trend Puts The ZL1 & GT500 to The Test!

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 10:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 172 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by 1ltcap
i fully understand they all build em all over the place. that doesn't mean i hafta like it though. wonder what kind of can o worms i'd open up if i said that i thought that NAFTA was the beginning of the end for this country.

that all said, what you guys are missing, is that i LIKE the camaro. i just happen to like the mustang a little better. that's a large part of why it pisses me off so badly that it's not built at home.....and that they went down under for the chassis. chevy's better than that.
ROTFL - NAFTA bad for U.S. Don't worry, we will just double the cost of your crude for a month and see how that makes you feel about gas at the pump and who can afford energy at that point.

Of course, that won't happen, just saying, your northern neighbour provides over 50% of your imported crude.
Old 07-09-2012, 11:21 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NW-99SS
ROTFL - NAFTA bad for U.S. Don't worry, we will just double the cost of your crude for a month and see how that makes you feel about gas at the pump and who can afford energy at that point.

Of course, that won't happen, just saying, your northern neighbour provides over 50% of your imported crude.
unless i'm missing something....and i very possibly am......we were already trading with you guys, and other countries. nafta was a way to allow jobs to leave the country from my understanding. again, i could be wrong.
Old 07-09-2012, 02:10 PM

who friggin cares Harleys are assembled in the U.S and every part on em comes from all over the world , again who cares , our government likes it that way and that is the way it will stay, Mr. Obama will soon make sure the muscle cars and anything else that uses fossle fuel will be dead and gone. we can as they do in the third world walk ride a bicycle, or sit in our dark cave and rot for all he and his cronies care, get used to it cause the next 4 years will be the end of the automobiles as we know it, when the GM boys he bailed out get him re elected then the hammer will drop, 4 more years of nothing to stop him executive order one after another will kill this country just give him the 4 he needs he will take care of the rest for you
Old 07-09-2012, 02:19 PM
Douchebag On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by lichtyr
who friggin cares Harleys are assembled in the U.S and every part on em comes from all over the world , again who cares , our government likes it that way and that is the way it will stay, Mr. Obama will soon make sure the muscle cars and anything else that uses fossle fuel will be dead and gone. we can as they do in the third world walk ride a bicycle, or sit in our dark cave and rot for all he and his cronies care, get used to it cause the next 4 years will be the end of the automobiles as we know it, when the GM boys he bailed out get him re elected then the hammer will drop, 4 more years of nothing to stop him executive order one after another will kill this country just give him the 4 he needs he will take care of the rest for you
Old 07-09-2012, 02:45 PM
11 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Can't tell if this guy is serious or trying to give Simple Jack a run for the title on tech.
Old 07-09-2012, 06:13 PM
Launching!

the only problem with that situation is that the Canadian Military is woefully unprepared for a US offensive.
Old 07-09-2012, 07:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

i fully understand they all build em all over the place. that doesn't mean i hafta like it though.
Im pretty sure just about everyone here doesn't like it either, but you were pointing fingers like they want to build them there and "don't care about US jobs", please do some damn research before posting.

that all said, what you guys are missing, is that i LIKE the camaro. i just happen to like the mustang a little better. that's a large part of why it pisses me off so badly that it's not built at home.....and that they went down under for the chassis. chevy's better than that.
The Fbody hasn't been built at home for quite some time now, not many people can do anything about it until the contract is up.
As far as the chassis goes, what else were they supposed to do? They certainly didn't have the funding to develop a completely new chassis for just one car, and that would have taken even longer as well (think about how much more people would be bitching if it took even longer than it already did). Its a global chassis anyway (although mainly used in australia).
Its not like Ford didn't do the same, the s197 is based off an old Jaguar chassis...
Old 07-09-2012, 07:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by lichtyr
Mr. Obama will soon make sure the muscle cars and anything else that uses fossle fuel will be dead and gone.
The big 3 are currently making the most powerful, fastest cars they have ever made by a long shot, Obama sure is working overtime on getting rid of the muscle car isn't he?
Old 07-09-2012, 07:41 PM
***Repost Police***

Loosely. It uses mostly new architecture, mostly in the suspension of course.
Old 07-09-2012, 08:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Talking

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
Loosely. It uses mostly new architecture, mostly in the suspension of course.
compromised lol. cmon thats funny!
Old 07-09-2012, 09:07 PM
***Repost Police***

That is a big stretch you are hinting at.
Old 07-09-2012, 09:35 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Im pretty sure just about everyone here doesn't like it either, but you were pointing fingers like they want to build them there and "don't care about US jobs", please do some damn research before posting.

The Fbody hasn't been built at home for quite some time now, not many people can do anything about it until the contract is up.
As far as the chassis goes, what else were they supposed to do? They certainly didn't have the funding to develop a completely new chassis for just one car, and that would have taken even longer as well (think about how much more people would be bitching if it took even longer than it already did). Its a global chassis anyway (although mainly used in australia).
Its not like Ford didn't do the same, the s197 is based off an old Jaguar chassis...
Considered a new platform by Ford Motor Company, D2C is loosely based on the Ford DEW platform which served as the basis for the Lincoln LS, Ford Thunderbird, and Jaguar S-Type.

so actually the s-type was based on a ford platform.
Old 07-10-2012, 10:17 AM
12 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Considered a new platform by Ford Motor Company, D2C is loosely based on the Ford DEW platform which served as the basis for the Lincoln LS, Ford Thunderbird, and Jaguar S-Type.

The platform was developed by both Ford and Jaguar engineers, and debuted in the Lincoln LS sedan.

So actually you are wrong again. How jaded you are when it comes to ford is actually sad.
Old 07-10-2012, 10:42 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ss1129
The platform was developed by both Ford and Jaguar engineers, and debuted in the Lincoln LS sedan.

So actually you are wrong again. How jaded you are when it comes to ford is actually sad.
THE lincoln ls is on a different platform. try again.
Old 07-10-2012, 10:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 172 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Sax1031
the only problem with that situation is that the Canadian Military is woefully unprepared for a US offensive.
I expected this to come up....

You can fight China for it, lol!!!
Old 07-10-2012, 01:07 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I expected this to come up....

You can fight China for it, lol!!!
If that's the case the sooner the better, time only benefits them.
Old 07-10-2012, 04:35 PM
Douchebag On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You do realize you just contradicted your own post from about an hour earlier, right?

Also, you were right the first time. The S-Type, Thunderbird, and THE Lincoln LS all share the same chassis. Same power trains too in the case of the Tbird and LS.
Old 07-10-2012, 04:37 PM
12 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

D2C is loosely based on the Ford DEW platform

Do not even read the things you actually post yourself?
Old 07-10-2012, 04:48 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by justin455
You do realize you just contradicted your own post from about an hour earlier, right?

Also, you were right the first time. The S-Type, Thunderbird, and THE Lincoln LS all share the same chassis. Same power trains too in the case of the Tbird and LS.
no, i didn't. it is loosely based. it is not the same. it is different. and again, it was a ford chassis under the s-type. and for what it's worth, i thought that ford took a shitty product(jaguar) and made it so much worse, that the shitty jags looked good compared to the ford jags.

but the chassis is different, and it also isn't a "global" chassis.

A less-expensive variant known as DEW Lite was originally to be used for the 2005 Ford Mustang, but the platform was significantly redesigned to become the Ford D2C platform instead.

Differences between D2C and DEW98 are most noticeable in the suspension: The DEW98-based Lincoln LS uses a 4-wheel independent double wishbone suspension. The D2C platform's MacPherson strut front suspension and solid axle rear suspension are less expensive to produce than DEW's more complicated setup.

Quick Reply: Motor Trend Puts The ZL1 & GT500 to The Test!