Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Motor Trend Puts The ZL1 & GT500 to The Test!

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2012 | 06:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

[QUOTE=1ltcap;16486636]is it me, or does this guy sound like that 5.0tech guy that just got a vacation?[/]

I wouldn't be surprised if its the same guy, must be his "other" brother....lol
Old 07-05-2012 | 07:02 PM
TECH Resident

[QUOTE=firebird99;16488053]
Originally Posted by 1ltcap
is it me, or does this guy sound like that 5.0tech guy that just got a vacation?[/]

I wouldn't be surprised if its the same guy, must be his "other" brother....lol
you mean his brother darrel, or his other brother darrel?
Old 07-05-2012 | 07:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

^^^curious to know if it's the same ip address again
Old 07-05-2012 | 07:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

^^^curious to know if it's the same ip address again
Old 07-05-2012 | 08:05 PM
TECH Resident

Old 07-05-2012 | 10:56 PM
TECH Resident

Old 07-06-2012 | 12:36 AM
Launching!

Wow they really don't like the Ford's breaks do they?

And isn't the Ford's break bigger? And the car also weighs less...

And the Camaro's breaks are smaller and it's stopping an additional 300lbs...

So I doubt it's the Brembo's at fault as much as are the engineers
Old 07-06-2012 | 03:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by D3VIL

I think it has bigger front brakes but smaller rear so maybe it's stressing the fronts out to much since the car does carry some nasty speed into turn compared to the camaro but your right it does weigh a few hundred pounds less.

I can't believe they actually called the GT500 a "One Trick Pony"!!!!!
Old 07-06-2012 | 06:09 AM
On The Tree

I dont feel like searching for it (im sure someone will correct me if im wrong), but I believe the ZL1 has brake cooling ducts where the GT500 doesnt.
Old 07-06-2012 | 08:15 AM
TECH Resident

i'm not sure what rears they have. the fronts are six piston brembos. they're not bigger than the zl.
Old 07-06-2012 | 08:17 AM
TECH Resident

what i found very amusing, is that once again, the shelby was better in virtually every test they gave it, yet they go and say the zl is the winner. i guess losing is the new winning
Old 07-06-2012 | 08:59 AM
TECH Resident

evolve.......could you check with your friend over at revan racing? what brakes does his shelby have, front and rear? and cooling ducts?
Old 07-06-2012 | 09:38 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1ltcap
what i found very amusing, is that once again, the shelby was better in virtually every test they gave it, yet they go and say the zl is the winner. i guess losing is the new winning
Devil's advocate post:

It's sounding very similar to the pitching a bitch people on this site did about the BRZ/FT86 Toyota/Subaru/Scion thing versus the Mustang v6...the v6 was quicker around the track but from the drivers seat feels like **** in comparison. They are also selling as quick as dealerships can get them.

A lot of people keep saying "how often will these cars see a course?". On that same token how much will they see a drag strip, a slalom, a 0-60-0 test, etc versus the time they will spend on the street doing what normal people do with cars. Not necessarily talking about "comfort" or "sissy factor" as much as just enjoying driving the car.

Throw a race prepped car and a street prepped car at the average person and ask them which one they want to drive every day (even if the race prepped car will do everything a little better).

IIRC magazines favored the new edge SN95 over the 4th gen for the same reasons even though the 4th gen would walk to floor with it at pretty much everything. I doubt it is coincidence the mustang was the big seller during that time either even though the competition was "the better car".

And it could also be a bunch of BS trying to not make one car look bad and **** off advertisers...only way to know is to drive the cars yourself instead of bench racing magazine articles.
Old 07-06-2012 | 09:50 AM
Staging Lane

I seen the test and it seems to me that
the ZL1 was the all around car and the
Mustang just did good at the track.
If you are talking performance and
apples to apples put 650hp on the
Camaro and lets see who wins.
Am I right fellas...
P.S and the Camaro is 800lbs more
Old 07-06-2012 | 01:39 PM

mustang every time its lighter more agile shelbys are built for track use that was how it started thats how it is Just like the Vette it to was built for the track to compete with the ferraries and lambos simple and easy its the facts the new camero is a 2 ton beast its heavy and big just as the challengers are , mustangs competeing against the camero with 450 HP vs the 4.6 315 the stangs still won its a power to weight ratio simple math, if you dont believe me look it up on all levels the camero lost , Now the camero is a nice car just not the same the ride is better due to weight and suspension the interieors are more plush ect ,
Old 07-06-2012 | 02:17 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by lichtyr
mustang every time its lighter more agile shelbys are built for track use that was how it started thats how it is Just like the Vette it to was built for the track to compete with the ferraries and lambos simple and easy its the facts the new camero is a 2 ton beast its heavy and big just as the challengers are , mustangs competeing against the camero with 450 HP vs the 4.6 315 the stangs still won its a power to weight ratio simple math, if you dont believe me look it up on all levels the camero lost , Now the camero is a nice car just not the same the ride is better due to weight and suspension the interieors are more plush ect ,

Oh and the 4.6 stock couldn't outrun a one armed man in a wheel chair race, there is a reason they developed the 5.0
Old 07-06-2012 | 03:18 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by thunderstruck507
Devil's advocate post:

It's sounding very similar to the pitching a bitch people on this site did about the BRZ/FT86 Toyota/Subaru/Scion thing versus the Mustang v6...the v6 was quicker around the track but from the drivers seat feels like **** in comparison. They are also selling as quick as dealerships can get them.

A lot of people keep saying "how often will these cars see a course?". On that same token how much will they see a drag strip, a slalom, a 0-60-0 test, etc versus the time they will spend on the street doing what normal people do with cars. Not necessarily talking about "comfort" or "sissy factor" as much as just enjoying driving the car.

Throw a race prepped car and a street prepped car at the average person and ask them which one they want to drive every day (even if the race prepped car will do everything a little better).

IIRC magazines favored the new edge SN95 over the 4th gen for the same reasons even though the 4th gen would walk to floor with it at pretty much everything. I doubt it is coincidence the mustang was the big seller during that time either even though the competition was "the better car".

And it could also be a bunch of BS trying to not make one car look bad and **** off advertisers...only way to know is to drive the cars yourself instead of bench racing magazine articles.
the magazines chose that pos over the 4th gen camaros? i like my mustangs, but couldn't really stand the sn's. didn't like anything about them.

but i see your points though.
Old 07-06-2012 | 10:17 PM
10 Second Club
20 Year Member

Talking

Originally Posted by mach.80
P.S and the Camaro is 800lbs more

Originally Posted by mach.80
Am I right fellas...
^ Not about that part LOL.

Originally Posted by lichtyr
Not sure if you'd heard yet but Chevrolet actually changed the spelling of the name on their favorite pony car, about 46 years ago LOL.
It's spelled Camaro now.
Old 07-06-2012 | 11:12 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by LS1LT1

^ Not about that part LOL.

Not sure if you'd heard yet but Chevrolet actually changed the spelling of the name on their favorite pony car, about 46 years ago LOL.
It's spelled Camaro now.
how come they used red only on the "A"?
Old 07-07-2012 | 02:08 AM
TECH Addict

so here seems to be the dilemma with the new ZL an the GT5

To Ford ----Subject - GT500----how can you have bigger brakes and less weight than the ZL1 and still have fade like that....did you not track test the thing enough to even notice?

To GM----Subject----ZL1-- How can the ZL1 be equipped with a 6.2L vs the Gt500's 5.8 liter with a similar sized blower, and still be making a whopping 80-95rwhp less.

Id say out of the two dilemmas , that ford has a much easier question to answer on there hands, and less pride to be hurt.

It seems to me, that somewhere along the line, someone did not stress test those brakes, and someone had no clue how much power an LS engine is capable of tolerating. I mean 5.3 Junkyard motors out there pushing well over 600 at the wheels pass after pass, and holding, and this flagship motor is being treated like an old lady in a retirement home right out of the box. I detect a lack of faith on the engineers part, but the thing is.......itll hold.

Solution.....GM needs to unleash that 6.2L crank up that boost, and put it on a diet.....DO SOMETHING!

Ford.....just needs to keep doing what they are doing because its awesome. They dont sit around and wait 5-7 years to redesign the car damn near entirely. Hopefully the new vette will raise the bar high enough to allow gm to build the camaros with enough power to haul that fat *** around.

Quick Reply: Motor Trend Puts The ZL1 & GT500 to The Test!