Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Motor Trend Puts The ZL1 & GT500 to The Test!

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 01:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by -Ross-
For me, it all comes down to a few things:
Looks - I'd call it a tie even though I like the GT500's looks more...looks are subjective.
See that's another big thing for a customer that could careless what badge is on the car and I dare say even which one is faster since there both fast but one a little quicker is "looks". A person won't buy a car no matter how fast or how well it handles if they don't like the way it looks especially for that kind of money.I hope they both sell like crazy so we all have something to look forward to other then which one has more volts then the other......
Old 07-03-2012, 01:43 PM
11 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

In the end, the "Chevy Guys" are going to buy the ZL1 and the "Ford Guys" are going to buy the GT500. The "enthusiast" (like myself) would have to make an actual decision. What am I buying this car for? I wouldn't be daily driving either, so "smoother ride" goes out the window. Most of my spirited driving occurs on a dragstrip, a city street, or highway.

For me, it all comes down to a few things:
Looks - I'd call it a tie even though I like the GT500's looks more...looks are subjective
Warrantied Performance - GT500 clearly wins this (for what I'd use it for).
Ease/Cost of basic updrades and their resulting performance - GT500

I really like the GT500's ability to go VERY fast without having to tear into the motor.
I agree with this post on everything except the bold. I love the backroads and turns (hence why my Chevelle leaves the line flat as a board at the track...it's set up to turn). If I were intending to purchase I would drive both, but honestly I can't see preferring either one to a Grand Sport Corvette.
Old 07-03-2012, 02:15 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by thunderstruck507
I agree with this post on everything except the bold. I love the backroads and turns (hence why my Chevelle leaves the line flat as a board at the track...it's set up to turn). If I were intending to purchase I would drive both, but honestly I can't see preferring either one to a Grand Sport Corvette.
I live south of Houston, Texas. There are no winding roads around here. None.

The ZL1 and the GT500 would both run away from a GS at the dragstrip and on a road course.
Old 07-03-2012, 02:29 PM
11 Second Club

The ZL1 and the GT500 would both run away from a GS at the dragstrip and on a road course.
I haven't looked at enough of the numbers to know for sure, but my comment was directed more at the driving experience as a whole.

My car would rape a z51 C5 by around a second and a half at the strip and holds its own quite well in the turns, but driving the C5 is something completely different.

I haven't got to drive a C6, much less a higher model C6

EDIT:

You made me curious so I looked. Found a decent list of "showroom stock" ls3 Corvettes running 11s and low 12s@116-120mph. Pretty well in line with the ZL1 stock for stock. Tune and tire they go mid 11s it seems. I can tune it for free since I have EFI live and credits...

Not sure the best way to compare course times but the Nurburing times listed for a ZL1 and a base C6 hint you might be correct on that front, hard to say without knowing the tires used and specifics.

Like I said I would like to drive the cars if I were shopping for something. But honestly would never buy new and with used z06 prices in the low-mid $40s last I looked, I would be swayed that direction I'm sure. Another big factor being the looks. I think a GS or Z06 body C6 looks much more aggressive and sleek than the ZL1 or GT500.

Last edited by thunderstruck507; 07-03-2012 at 02:52 PM.
Old 07-03-2012, 06:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I live south of Houston, Texas. There are no winding roads around here. None.
Yet there are available 16 road courses...
Road race, or even autox once, you won't go back to drag racing.

The ZL1 and the GT500 would both run away from a GS at the dragstrip and on a road course.[/QUOTE]
Depends on the track. Even so, the Corvette is a FAR better platform to start with for road racing.
Old 07-04-2012, 05:11 PM
10 Second Club

The ZL1 and the GT500 would both run away from a GS at the dragstrip
The (2013) GT500 definitely...the ZL1, probably.

The ZL1 and the GT500 would both run away from a GS on a road course.
Possibly, but certainly not on every single type of road course.

I haven't looked at enough of the numbers to know for sure, but my comment was directed more at the driving experience as a whole.

My car would rape a z51 C5 by around a second and a half at the strip and holds its own quite well in the turns, but driving the C5 is something completely different.

EDIT:

You made me curious so I looked. Found a decent list of "showroom stock" ls3 Corvettes running 11s and low 12s@116-120mph. Pretty well in line with the ZL1 stock for stock. Tune and tire they go mid 11s it seems.
True. Bone stock base LS3s have run 11.8s and even an 11.7 in excellent air/track conditions, and the Grand Sport models might actually be ever so slightly slower than the base cars (extra weight from the wheels/tires/brakes) too.
I do believe that the quickest bone stock ZL1 (we haven't seen it's best yet) will end up being quicker than that. And the 2013 GT500 has already 'bested' those numbers and will put up even quicker ETs before the end of the year as well of course.
Old 07-04-2012, 06:07 PM
TECH Resident

EDIT:

You made me curious so I looked. Found a decent list of "showroom stock" ls3 Corvettes running 11s and low 12s@116-120mph. Pretty well in line with the ZL1 stock for stock. Tune and tire they go mid 11s it seems. I can tune it for free since I have EFI live and credits...

Not sure the best way to compare course times but the Nurburing times listed for a ZL1 and a base C6 hint you might be correct on that front, hard to say without knowing the tires used and specifics.

Like I said I would like to drive the cars if I were shopping for something. But honestly would never buy new and with used z06 prices in the low-mid $40s last I looked, I would be swayed that direction I'm sure. Another big factor being the looks. I think a GS or Z06 body C6 looks much more aggressive and sleek than the ZL1 or GT500.
but you're pulling the corvette comparison out again.
Old 07-05-2012, 07:43 AM
12 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

For the Ford guys here that think the GT500 is such a better car, they sure do spend a lot of time here and on other GM sites trying to convince everyone else that the zl1 isnt the better car. Its funny to goole user names. lol

Somebody wants attention.....hmm hemmmm....1ltcap...hemmmm hem.
Old 07-05-2012, 10:12 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1ltcap
but you're pulling the corvette comparison out again.
That's because as I stated, I would be cross shopping them whether they are intended competition or not. And honestly I believe a lot of other buyers would be doing the same...you're talking about $55-65k Camaros and Mustangs (performance cars)...that price brings the Corvette (performance car) into the market.

Just making conversation, didn't mean to interrupt the Camaro vs Mustang butt hurt from people who will never even sit in either car.
Old 07-05-2012, 10:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

That's because as I stated, I would be cross shopping them whether they are intended competition or not. And honestly I believe a lot of other buyers would be doing the same...you're talking about $55-65k Camaros and Mustangs (performance cars)...that price brings the Corvette (performance car) into the market.

Just making conversation, didn't mean to interrupt the Camaro vs Mustang butt hurt from people who will never even sit in either car.
How dare you!
Old 07-05-2012, 10:27 AM

sound like a bunch of rice grinders in here its a good thing that I dont run my cart in the twisties other wise one of you guys might pass me and make me feal bad , of course if I were to race in the twisties and had brake problems i would imagine a good set of behr brakes would be in order that would pretty much end that discussion , the camero is a good grocery getter and kid hauler by the sounds of it , if you want chevey performance go by a Corvette there is where its at , unfortunantly for some of you the ride is to stiff and you feal every bump in the raod and that is a bad thing , FOR SOME NOT ALL. Buy a Vette if you want to rung with the big dogs , quit whineinign and trying to make it more than it is a Camero Glorified station wagon with a big engine in it 4000 lbs of rolling well lets leave that for another time , and yes I own a Shelb y and a Mustang 2 corvettes and a 69 camero and a 70 road runner so before you go off the deep end and ranting about a ford guy understand I like all cars , and own alot of them i am also in the process of retro modding my 1979 Corvette i bought a month ago with an LS engine
Old 07-05-2012, 10:32 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by lichtyr
sound like a bunch of rice grinders in here its a good thing that I dont run my cart in the twisties other wise one of you guys might pass me and make me feal bad , of course if I were to race in the twisties and had brake problems i would imagine a good set of behr brakes would be in order that would pretty much end that discussion , the camero is a good grocery getter and kid hauler by the sounds of it , if you want chevey performance go by a Corvette there is where its at , unfortunantly for some of you the ride is to stiff and you feal every bump in the raod and that is a bad thing , FOR SOME NOT ALL. Buy a Vette if you want to rung with the big dogs , quit whineinign and trying to make it more than it is a Camero Glorified station wagon with a big engine in it 4000 lbs of rolling well lets leave that for another time , and yes I own a Shelb y and a Mustang 2 corvettes and a 69 camero and a 70 road runner so before you go off the deep end and ranting about a ford guy understand I like all cars , and own alot of them i am also in the process of retro modding my 1979 Corvette i bought a month ago with an LS engine
That 69 Camero must be rare as ****. All the ones I see have misspelled Camaro badging.

Your post has shown me the light. I should sell my 3800 lb boat of a Chevelle and buy a Corvette. I'll have to live in it and give ******** every 6 months to pay insurance...but by damn I can run with the big dogs.
Old 07-05-2012, 10:33 AM
TECH Resident

i can understand that.

sometimes i judge things too closed mindedly. me personally, if i wanted a corvette, there's nothing to shop against it, unless ford brought the gt40 back. i wouldn't cross-shop the camaro/mustang with a vette, as to me, although performance may be similar, i still view them as two totally different cars.
Old 07-05-2012, 10:35 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by lichtyr

is it me, or does this guy sound like that 5.0tech guy that just got a vacation?
Old 07-05-2012, 10:44 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1ltcap
if i wanted a corvette, there's nothing to shop against it
I mostly agree, but if I was getting ready to drop that kind of coin on a car like that, it wouldn't hurt to at least give the ZL1 and GT500 a chance.

I've never even driven a 5th gen, but I have driven an 11 GT and it was really nice to drive. But like my original statement to Ross, the ZL1 or GT500 would have to offer one hell of a driving experience to sway my bias to wanting a Corvette. Which one goes faster in a straight line stock isn't a huge deal compared to how the car drives, how fun it is, how comfortable I am sitting and seeing out of it, and all the other little things.

Hence why I have a ls1 swapped Chevelle with some suspension work instead of a lighter/faster fbody. I can see out of my car, I can see over the hood/front bumper without straining my neck, I can work under the hood without scarring my forearms, and the vibe from an old muscle car is more enjoyable to me.
Old 07-05-2012, 10:45 AM

are you drag raceing or running on the track A chevell is an awsome straight line car one of the best you could get in its day one i would love to have But if I am going road raceing it sure would not be my first choice , and i dont own a 5.0 the new 5.0s are great but the old ones were not much to talk about , I do own a 5.4 in My shelby and 4.6 in the other GT , the Camero has a 327 the Vett has an LS1 My chevy truck has a 5.3 Road runner is a 440 six pack the only 2, I would run an a track is the vette and the shelby my 79 Vette has a 350 soon to be a modified 5,3 fuel injected motor and that car will be just a driver . so if that offends you sorry the Camero is not all its cracked up to be , If i buy something new for performance it will be a Vette or a Shelby
Old 07-05-2012, 11:09 AM
11 Second Club

The Chevelle sees drag strips, back roads, road course, cruise nights, 300+ mile road trips, and is fully capable of being daily driven.

I can't afford to have a different car for everything, so I built a car that can do everything.

It runs 11s, starts every time, gets 20mpg+ highway, stops, turns, has a stereo with sub, and the only thing I wish it had was better paint, better wheels/tires, and A/C. Just making do with what I have and what I can currently afford to blow money on. One day I will have a Corvette, but the Chevelle does well at making do until then.
Old 07-05-2012, 12:23 PM
TECH Resident

I can work under the hood without scarring my forearms
There is so much truth to this! My Corvette is WAY easier to get at anything under the hood than my Formula was. I don't know what the **** GM was thinking when the put the engine of those cars under the windshield!!
Old 07-05-2012, 03:03 PM
TECH Resident

The Chevelle sees drag strips, back roads, road course, cruise nights, 300+ mile road trips, and is fully capable of being daily driven.

I can't afford to have a different car for everything, so I built a car that can do everything.

It runs 11s, starts every time, gets 20mpg+ highway, stops, turns, has a stereo with sub, and the only thing I wish it had was better paint, better wheels/tires, and A/C. Just making do with what I have and what I can currently afford to blow money on. One day I will have a Corvette, but the Chevelle does well at making do until then.

the only bad thing abuot those old chevelles, is that you don't see enough nice ones on the street anymore. it almost seems like too many people forgot that chevy built other cool cars besides the camaro.

that said, there's a guy right up the street from my shop, has 3 gorgeous chevelles. all big blocks.
Old 07-05-2012, 06:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

[QUOTE=1ltcap;16486636]is it me, or does this guy sound like that 5.0tech guy that just got a vacation?[/]

I wouldn't be surprised if its the same guy, must be his "other" brother....lol

Quick Reply: Motor Trend Puts The ZL1 & GT500 to The Test!