Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Motor Trend Puts The ZL1 & GT500 to The Test!

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2012 | 11:01 PM
Teching In

Hmmmmm, which car is the "one trick pony"??

Looks like a no trick pony

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hc1U...ature=youtu.be
Old 07-01-2012 | 11:09 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 88lx418
Owner is known for his track skills, but the car was reportedly having heatsoak issues despite an aftermarket H/E

GT500 owner said he was really testing the brakes just to see if they faded like MTs test car did, then he cancelled his subscription lol

You got to figure a 10+mph pull is HUGE, video below is the same car getting drug down the 1/4....

But yo. ZL1-4 Gt500-0 in magazine land
so the zl driver knew what he was doing then...it was mechanical failure?
Old 07-01-2012 | 11:11 PM
TECH Resident

Ford Mustang Unleashed
Mustang Makes Zero Compromises. Test Drive Legendary Ford Mustang.
www. ford. com/ Mustang

that's the ad at the bottom of this page on my puter........kind of appropriate, lolololol
Old 07-01-2012 | 11:46 PM
TECH Addict

I don't get why the magazines are making their personal opinion such a staple in their supposed testing... These two cars have been tested several times now and the magzines keep begging us all to believe the ZL1 is better, all the while showing us better overall results from the GT500.

To me it's very simple: Which one is faster? The fact of the matter is, these cars were built for performance, not making us feel comfortable. While the ZL1 is(as expected by the entire industrialized world) more comfortable, the GT500 is the better performer; end of story.... Well, we know it isn't, but for now, the Mustang retains its title.
Old 07-02-2012 | 01:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by It'llrun
I don't get why the magazines are making their personal opinion such a staple in their supposed testing... These two cars have been tested several times now and the magzines keep begging us all to believe the ZL1 is better, all the while showing us better overall results from the GT500.

To me it's very simple: Which one is faster? The fact of the matter is, these cars were built for performance, not making us feel comfortable. While the ZL1 is(as expected by the entire industrialized world) more comfortable, the GT500 is the better performer; end of story.... Well, we know it isn't, but for now, the Mustang retains its title.
Yes and no....Like I said before I think Chevy knew they were better off building a car that did everything including great street manners because they know they can't compete with the Shelby (power,1/4,) as long as the vette is around do yeah it was built for speed and comfort. If they were built for just performance they wouldn't have half the stuff they do.So in the end there both made to do EVERYTHING!!!!!!!
Old 07-02-2012 | 08:11 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by firebird99
Yes and no....Like I said before I think Chevy knew they were better off building a car that did everything including great street manners because they know they can't compete with the Shelby (power,1/4,) as long as the vette is around do yeah it was built for speed and comfort. If they were built for just performance they wouldn't have half the stuff they do.So in the end there both made to do EVERYTHING!!!!!!!
WELL apparently, the zl doesn't do anything better than the shelby once you get out of the magazine world......not judging by the videos posted in the other thread. i noticed that the shelby was even able to close up the distance in the turns, which the magazines said it couldn't do.
Old 07-02-2012 | 08:22 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

I think it is more that Chevy aimed for the wrong bench mark (the 2012 GT500), not expecting that Ford would make such a dramatic change in power output in just one model year. Caught with their pants down, they had no choice but to highlight the other, more subjective areas such as ride comfort, etc., and the magazines seem to have picked up on this and ran with it.
Old 07-02-2012 | 10:23 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by ULTIMATEORANGESS
maybe people like what they like and arent concerned what others think.
And if they are that way, this magazine article won't really matter now, will it?
Old 07-02-2012 | 04:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Smile

Originally Posted by -Ross-
And if they are that way, this magazine article won't really matter now, will it?
nope,sure wont. just like your opinion.

fact is i see people driving expensive sports cars all the time and its obvious they have no interest in racing. they just enjoy it because they like it and theres nothing wrong with that.

with cars like these id prefer power over everything but maybe some people that buy these cars want other things too.
Old 07-02-2012 | 04:39 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ULTIMATEORANGESS
nope,sure wont. just like your opinion.

fact is i see people driving expensive sports cars all the time and its obvious they have no interest in racing. they just enjoy it because they like it and theres nothing wrong with that.

with cars like these id prefer power over everything but maybe some people that buy these cars want other things too.
Couldn't help but notice you said the articles won't matter, just like his opinion(won't matter)... Then added your own opinion, basically saying his opinion ... is better than the magazines... Like he seemed to imply, you prefer the more powerful vehicle. As do the majority on sites like this. As Meents said, GM apparently aimed for the 2011/2 GT500, not having any clue that Ford would pull the trigger on one HELL OF AN ENGINE!

Most of us are in agreement here that the GT500 is indeed the better performer. Frankly, as close as anyone can make it look, it isn't remotely close where it counts... on the track. Reality proves that most of these cars will spend much more time at a drag strip than a road course. Doesn't even matter though because in all honesty, who wants to go away from the drag strip and then the road track saying, "Yeah, well I got pounded today, but my car looks better to me and rides smoother, so I'm the real winner!" Nobody... EVER. Getting hammered is only cool when you're having a bachelor party or the like; not on a race track.

Bottom line: GT500- 1, ZL1- 0. That's taking nothing away from the ZL1, as it is still truly a pig on wheels with no rear visibility, BUT... A great performer, nonetheless. The GT500 is simply an astounding version of the Mustang, the likes of which none of us saw coming. We even joked that Ford would have to unleash a 600hp version and thought that was wishful thinking... Color us amazed.

Kudos to Ford for smacking the world upside the head and having the world smile about it.

Shame on the magazines for reporting the truth, then telling everyone to overlook that truth because one car is easier for sissies than the other. For any of those trolls to tell us all that one performed far better really, then turn around and claim the slower, less powerful, less efficient vehicle is actually better... Sacrilege(for ANY performance oriented magazine).
Old 07-02-2012 | 05:41 PM
TECH Regular

I was also surprised how much personal opinion skewed their results and basically threw them out the window. They may be track guys but your average person doesn't have access to a track never mind the cost of track racing, finding a drag strip these days is hard enough. They want to throw in their personal opinion to outweigh all but they haven't asked the most obvious question, how many here in America actually drive their cars hard in the twisties, or have any interest in doing so (besides dumb kids that just got their license, crash into a tree and raise our insurance rates).

Most people realize with the roads here it's just plain stupid and reckless. To take cars with this much power that are affordable for the average Joe who may not be well off enough to bring it to the track when ever he/she feels like since they still work their *** off until retirement, to then make it seem like it's ok to drive like an idiot on mountain roads and practically disqualify a car that won every test because it can't drive recklessly for a long period of time, this is just stupid. Those magazine drivers are too pampered and need to come back to the real world and realize what average people are looking for in a car. That said, brakes are important, and I'm glad they emphasized the issue.
Old 07-02-2012 | 06:34 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by jimmy169
That said, brakes are important, and I'm glad they emphasized the issue.
Did they do enough, correctly though? I didn't read each article and don't know if any, let alone all tests included the GT500 with the upgrades like brake ducting... If these tests were done using the available upgrades and the cars still lost braking as soon as we've read, that's an issue. Of course, the video of the guy driving his GT500 didn't make it look like his brakes were an issue, so who's "most right" on this? The mag tester guys or the real world owner who apparently drives far better than they??? Not my decision to make, but it really didn't look like the brakes were an issue in actual video(as opposed to their statements without video). Besides, what was so bad about the GT500's brakes? Why haven't we heard these horror stories about the 2011/12 model, which supposedly got less braking power? Idonno, but I smell more than brake dust in these stories...

For me, the proof is in the truth... I think the ZL1 is the best Camaro ever, but it simply doesn't have what the GT500 has, overall. It has several "better" things, but lacks where it counts most... winning.
Old 07-02-2012 | 07:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Most of us are in agreement here that the GT500 is indeed the better performer. Frankly, as close as anyone can make it look, it isn't remotely close where it counts... on the track. Reality proves that most of these cars will spend much more time at a drag strip than a road course. Doesn't even matter though because in all honesty, who wants to go away from the drag strip and then the road track saying, "Yeah, well I got pounded today, but my car looks better to me and rides smoother, so I'm the real winner!" Nobody... EVER. Getting hammered is only cool when you're having a bachelor party or the like; not on a race track.
Funny you say that, yet people still buy pre-SN197 5.0 Mustangs/'13 GT500s when other cars for the same price/cheaper kill them on the track.
A 4th gen will wipe the floor against a pre-5.0 muffstain, and a similarly priced base C6 Corvette (or the even cheaper C5 Z06) will embarrass a pre '13 GT500 on a track. And when I say "track" I mean a real track, one with turns.
Seriously why are you mustang guys on a GM forum trying to argue with people who clearly will not change with opinion?
Who cares who a magazine picks, and who cares if someone likes the ZL1 better? If you dont like people praising GM cars then get off a GM forum.
Old 07-02-2012 | 07:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 1ltcap
WELL apparently, the zl doesn't do anything better than the shelby once you get out of the magazine world......not judging by the videos posted in the other thread. i noticed that the shelby was even able to close up the distance in the turns, which the magazines said it couldn't do.
We already established that that video wasn't 100% to 100% and the Chevy had problems that were never established in any comparison but on the flip side ford didn't have the brake issue that was brought up in one of the comparisons.

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
I think it is more that Chevy aimed for the wrong bench mark (the 2012 GT500), not expecting that Ford would make such a dramatic change in power output in just one model year. Caught with their pants down, they had no choice but to highlight the other, more subjective areas such as ride comfort, etc., and the magazines seem to have picked up on this and ran with it.
Not really caught with there pants down since the they got what they went after but ford had the upper hand by waiting for Chevy to drop there's first and we could really split hairs and compare my to my.
But like I said it will never be faster because of the vette do they HAVE to beat it in other ways that the public will appreciate not just the hard core enthusiast.
Old 07-02-2012 | 08:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Smile

Couldn't help but notice you said the articles won't matter, just like his opinion(won't matter)... Then added your own opinion, basically saying his opinion ... is better than the magazines... Like he seemed to imply, you prefer the more powerful vehicle. As do the majority on sites like this. As Meents said, GM apparently aimed for the 2011/2 GT500, not having any clue that Ford would pull the trigger on one HELL OF AN ENGINE!

Bottom line: GT500- 1, ZL1- 0. That's taking nothing away from the ZL1, as it is still truly a pig on wheels with no rear visibility, BUT... A great performer, nonetheless. The GT500 is simply an astounding version of the Mustang, the likes of which none of us saw coming. We even joked that Ford would have to unleash a 600hp version and thought that was wishful thinking... Color us amazed.

Kudos to Ford for smacking the world upside the head and having the world smile about it.

Shame on the magazines for reporting the truth, then telling everyone to overlook that truth because one car is easier for sissies than the other. For any of those trolls to tell us all that one performed far better really, then turn around and claim the slower, less powerful, less efficient vehicle is actually better... Sacrilege(for ANY performance oriented magazine).

yup, people will buy whatever car they like regardless of what anyone thinks.

thats why calling someone whipped or a sissy isnt going to sway someones preference either.
Old 07-02-2012 | 08:05 PM
Teching In

JD AMG-
Yet no one started arguing or writing articles that pre-sn197s were not really muscle cars, but instead track cars. Throughout that era the Camaro and Firebirds were hands down the fastest cars of the big three (in that price range), no one (sanely) argued they weren't. And for most enthusiasts up until now, that's all they cared about.

Firebird99-
GM has broken that corvette barrier. Remember the ls1? Last I checked the Corvettes and 98-02 Camaro/Firebird's engines were eerily similar, they just underrated the latter. So who says they couldn't or wouldn't do that again?

The funniest thing to me in all of this is that the proof of what GM enthusiasts really care about is on this website! It's called the Street Racing & Kill Stories subsection. Go through that and tell me how many times you see someone posting about how they got onto a set of twisties and narrowly beat about the opposing driver because of his car's superior handling......As compared to side by side drag racing kills.

The ZL1 isn't the fastest car and while it may handle better, the GT500s numbers aren't far off from the ZL1s. With all that said, I'm not a brand loyalist. When I close my eyes, I don't have Ford, GM, or Chrysler tattooed on the inside of my eyelids. In this case, Ford did the better job, just like in prior years, GM did.

Last edited by NavyBlue; 07-02-2012 at 09:08 PM.
Old 07-02-2012 | 08:06 PM
Launching!

There are entirely WAY too many ford guys on a GM forum. Are you guys just SVTperformance rejects?

And how can you "car enthusiasts"(both gm and ford guys) say the feel of the car is not important? Oh yea that's b/c you've only been to a strip and never taken your cars into a corner or a track, which is a shame cause it's 100x more rewarding, it's what the Corvette guys have been enjoying for many years now.

The ZL1 wins the magazine's opinions because there is more to a car than straighline performance, and that's why the track is so important, because the Z will get ahead in the corners and the 500 will catch up in the straights, and it'll be a close match. They are both fantastic cars and anybody that buys either one isn't losing anything.

I freakin HATE my fbody b/c when I'm not living life 1/4 at a time I'm driving 1st, 3rd and 5th gear to save gas. The ride comfort is **** and the interior makes me throw up. I'm buying a 2005+ mustang gt or a gto next purely b/c of their comfort. They might not be as fast as the fbody but you've gotta live with these cars daily and i'd rather not have a shattered spine. My point is I'm not a brand fan, I'm a car fan, so respect and appreciate everyone's offerings
Old 07-02-2012 | 08:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Smile

thanks for a few of you that made my point clearer.

despite all of us here that street race and go to a 1/4 track every weekend its possible some buyers of these cars might not.

they might prefer something a little more refined and comfortable and that doesnt mean their wife owns them or theyre sissies. a few buyers might even be female. what would they be considered?

i bought a GTO because i wanted a nice DD. i couldve bought a used c5 or 03 cobra that would be faster and handle better but i wanted something more comfortable.
Old 07-02-2012 | 11:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I think the funny part is after the first comparasion by inside line people said they wanted a pro driver with actual data to back it up and once they got it they still weren't happy that the PRO picked the camaro over the mustang. Guess no matter what some people just can't accept facts or understand the perimeters of there test. There testing wasn't JUST track numbers that's why it turned bad for the GT500 and maybe if some of you guys would stop and realize that these cars do not live on the track because they are STREET CARS!!!!

There is NO STREET CAR that is built solely for any one thing they are built to do everything. No matter what any of us think the percentage of people that will actually track these cars on any track/strip is very low when compared to how many are actually sold. Neither of these cars are aimed at a younger buyer since most (not all ) can't afford them but more towards an older more established customer and they will not settle for a one trick pony which is what makes both of these cars so awesome neither of them are but they both have there pros and cons (price,power,style,comfort,mpg,warranty,durability ) so at the end of the day pick which one you like and stop nit picking the other.
Old 07-03-2012 | 08:03 AM
TECH Junkie

There is NO STREET CAR that is built solely for any one thing they are built to do everything. No matter what any of us think the percentage of people that will actually track these cars on any track/strip is very low when compared to how many are actually sold. Neither of these cars are aimed at a younger buyer since most (not all ) can't afford them but more towards an older more established customer and they will not settle for a one trick pony which is what makes both of these cars so awesome neither of them are but they both have there pros and cons (price,power,style,comfort,mpg,warranty,durability ) so at the end of the day pick which one you like and stop nit picking the other.
In the end, the "Chevy Guys" are going to buy the ZL1 and the "Ford Guys" are going to buy the GT500. The "enthusiast" (like myself) would have to make an actual decision. What am I buying this car for? I wouldn't be daily driving either, so "smoother ride" goes out the window. Most of my spirited driving occurs on a dragstrip, a city street, or highway.

For me, it all comes down to a few things:
Looks - I'd call it a tie even though I like the GT500's looks more...looks are subjective
Warrantied Performance - GT500 clearly wins this (for what I'd use it for).
Ease/Cost of basic updrades and their resulting performance - GT500

I really like the GT500's ability to go VERY fast without having to tear into the motor.

Quick Reply: Motor Trend Puts The ZL1 & GT500 to The Test!