Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Road and Track ZL1 vs GT500

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 12:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
That is torsional rigidity at work.
Wrong. That's rear end GRIP at work. The Shelby's less optimal front to rear weight distribution ratio is made all the worse by not having enough rubber under the back end...all the while trying to plant nearly 100 more horses to the ground. This is one place where the ZL1's weight actually works in its favor. More weight over the backend = more composure in the corners. Then you throw in the magnetic suspension on top of that and this is what you get. The Shelby...once again...just isn't able to use as much of its power as the ZL1 can on the track. Has little to do with how rigid the chassis of either car is. I assure you both chassis are more than up to the task.
Old 07-31-2012, 12:36 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by baalic
I mean who goes to the track and keeps things stock...
Actually, lots of people do.
Old 08-01-2012, 10:24 AM
10 Second Club

Received 427 Likes on 337 Posts

Originally Posted by -Ross-
Please explain.
Originally Posted by Johnnystock
explains x2, how can a 480rwhp car can be on top of another mod for mod when the other is 600rwhp stock??
The gt500 is on 15lb of boost. It's not gonna take much more and it's gonna need a alternative gas, the ZL has plenty of room to grow in the boost department. And it will make more power on the same amount of boost. When serious mods start to happen it's all Zl then. 400+ cubes and boost, The gt500 can't get there.
Originally Posted by ThisBlood147
Wrong. That's rear end GRIP at work. The Shelby's less optimal front to rear weight distribution ratio is made all the worse by not having enough rubber under the back end...all the while trying to plant nearly 100 more horses to the ground. This is one place where the ZL1's weight actually works in its favor. More weight over the backend = more composure in the corners. Then you throw in the magnetic suspension on top of that and this is what you get. The Shelby...once again...just isn't able to use as much of its power as the ZL1 can on the track. Has little to do with how rigid the chassis of either car is. I assure you both chassis are more than up to the task.
You guessed part of it.

You can tell by watching the cars that the Shelby is much less predictable. In a couple of spots in the vid is was pushing like a dump truck right into a snap loose situation. That's the chassis giving up. Tires could mask it for a while. But more than likely it would aggravate it once wear started.
Old 08-01-2012, 10:35 AM
***Repost Police***

There will be GT500s in the 9s no problem with the stock blower. The shortblock can take over 1,000rwhp. LSA can't do that. And we all know how much you value abilities using stock parts.
Old 08-01-2012, 11:57 AM
10 Second Club

There are pick-up truck ls shortblocks running around with 800+ whp on pump. What makes you think the lsa won't do it? How do you know that 5.8 is good for 1000hp? Do you have one? 03-04 termi's was suppose to be good for alot of power. I have one that blew up @ 458.
Old 08-01-2012, 12:31 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
There will be GT500s in the 9s no problem with the stock blower.
There already are.
Although the very first one to do it (Evolution Performance) has since blown their stock 2013 GT500's engine up after they hit 9.6.
Still damn impressive though.

There are pick-up truck ls shortblocks running around with 800+ whp on pump. What makes you think the lsa won't do it? How do you know that 5.8 is good for 1000hp? Do you have one?
Point taken.
Old 08-01-2012, 01:24 PM
***Repost Police***

There are pick-up truck ls shortblocks running around with 800+ whp on pump. What makes you think the lsa won't do it? How do you know that 5.8 is good for 1000hp? Do you have one? 03-04 termi's was suppose to be good for alot of power. I have one that blew up @ 458.
And there are '03-'04 Cobras with 800rwhp that are regularly driven. The 5.8 is a bigger 5.4, so there is no reason to believe that they won't at least handle as much power. Are you arguing that the cast LSA is stronger than the forged 5.8?
Old 08-01-2012, 01:54 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

The gt500 is on 15lb of boost. It's not gonna take much more and it's gonna need a alternative gas, the ZL has plenty of room to grow in the boost department. And it will make more power on the same amount of boost. When serious mods start to happen it's all Zl then. 400+ cubes and boost, The gt500 can't get there.
What planet are you from?
Old 08-01-2012, 02:10 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think this was a more fair review:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=FF-db7bX9LI
Old 08-01-2012, 02:15 PM
10 Second Club

And there are '03-'04 Cobras with 800rwhp that are regularly driven. The 5.8 is a bigger 5.4, so there is no reason to believe that they won't at least handle as much power. Are you arguing that the cast LSA is stronger than the forged 5.8?
I'm arguing that the ls platform is stronger.You keep wanting to say how stout the ford is. I have a broken ford on my carport that made 458rwhp. When I got to looking it's not the only termi motor that has blown up with pretty mild mods.....in fact there is alot of them that has. Now we have a broken ford at a 9.6......well guess what sweety? It don't take 1000hp to run a 9.6.
Originally Posted by -Ross-
What planet are you from?
Earth.....and the land of common sense.
Old 08-01-2012, 03:56 PM
Teching In

You guessed part of it.

You can tell by watching the cars that the Shelby is much less predictable. In a couple of spots in the vid is was pushing like a dump truck right into a snap loose situation. That's the chassis giving up. Tires could mask it for a while. But more than likely it would aggravate it once wear started.
So wrong, read up on the Shelby powerplant. LSA is not new, it is in the 2012 CTS-V. The Shelby 5.8 is a more free breathing variant of the 2012 5.4 GT500. In 2012, the forged 5.4 > LSA, stock for stock, mod for mod. How do you think the forged 5.8 will compare?
Old 08-01-2012, 04:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

There will be GT500s in the 9s no problem with the stock blower. The shortblock can take over 1,000rwhp. LSA can't do that. And we all know how much you value abilities using stock parts.
To my knowledge nobody has taken the 5.8 to a 1000whp yet and I know it's the same as the 5.4 but it's also running thinner cylinder walls. Ford is hoping their new coating will keep it from blowing apart and they better hope it does because a forged bottom end doesn't mean crap if the block splits and Chevy has already proved you don't need forged anything to run alot of power.
Originally Posted by LS1LT1
There already are.
Although the very first one to do it (Evolution Performance) has since blown their stock 2013 GT500's engine up after they hit 9.6.
Still damn impressive though.
Please post a link because that would make them the fastest so far but I guess they don't want to brag since they blew the motor up going for it huh?
Old 08-01-2012, 04:17 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by kewlv8
So wrong, read up on the Shelby powerplant. LSA is not new, it is in the 2012 CTS-V. The Shelby 5.8 is a more free breathing variant of the 2012 5.4 GT500. In 2012, the forged 5.4 > LSA, stock for stock, mod for mod. How do you think the forged 5.8 will compare?
I know exactly what it is. It's a bigger 5.0 with forged internals. Ford did a great job on it. But mod for mod the bigger motor will win. And upping the boost on the ZL is gonna make a huge difference.

Also fyi.....I don't car what either makes on race gas. So putting a splash in one or the other is not in the conversation.

The lsa has been in the cts-v.....it gets to the 10's pretty slick in a bigger heavier car. Last time at the track I watched a stock auto CTS-v go a 12.1 on just a dr.....and out run the 5.4 gt 500.
Old 08-01-2012, 04:19 PM
TECH Resident

Don't bother, he's just going to keep throwing the "I haven't seen it with my own two eyes" flag, along with pointing out more Terminators that "he's seen" blow up with under 500whp, then he's going to argue the 4.6 is basically the same as the 5.4, and then he's going to point out how many hundreds of stock truck blocks are making over 1000whp, etc, etc....you can't win arguing with nutswinging idiots.
Old 08-01-2012, 04:26 PM
TECH Junkie

I know exactly what it is. It's a bigger 5.0 with forged internals. Ford did a great job on it. But mod for mod the bigger motor will win. And upping the boost on the ZL is gonna make a huge difference.

Also fyi.....I don't car what either makes on race gas. So putting a splash in one or the other is not in the conversation.

The lsa has been in the cts-v.....it gets to the 10's pretty slick in a bigger heavier car. Last time at the track I watched a stock auto CTS-v go a 12.1 on just a dr.....and out run the 5.4 gt 500.
Old 08-01-2012, 04:28 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by gocartone
Don't bother, he's just going to keep throwing the "I haven't seen it with my own two eyes" flag, along with pointing out more Terminators that "he's seen" blow up with under 500whp, then he's going to argue the 4.6 is basically the same as the 5.4, and then he's going to point out how many hundreds of stock truck blocks are making over 1000whp, etc, etc....you can't win arguing with nutswinging idiots.
Yep.....and you can believe everything he says if you want and ride his. Why don't you go and make yourself busy swapping a mod motor in your vette? They're awesome and you need one.

remember Irunelevens has never touched the 13's.
Old 08-01-2012, 04:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You guessed part of it.

So you're saying the Shelby's chassis is......flabby???
Old 08-01-2012, 04:53 PM
TECH Junkie

Yep.....and you can believe everything he says if you want and ride his. Why don't you go and make yourself busy swapping a mod motor in your vette? They're awesome and you need one.

remember Irunelevens has never touched the 13's.

Old 08-01-2012, 05:05 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by ThisBlood147
So you're saying the Shelby's chassis is......flabby???
I don't think it is flabby. But definitely not what the ZL1's is.
Old 08-01-2012, 05:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

To get a ZL1 over 700whp, you need every bolt on, all of the cooling, fuel as well as heads and cam. That is like 12-14k in parts.
A 2013 gt500 needs a pulley, intake, Throttlebody and headers to be over 700whp, and that is in 100 deg weather. Notice it is still only on 15.x lbs of boost so you could run an overdrive lower if you really what to spin it hard.

http://www.fordgt500.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16819

Also, the griggs suspension also VASTLY increases rear end grip with the torque arm.

Quick Reply: Road and Track ZL1 vs GT500