Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Road and Track ZL1 vs GT500

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2012, 12:15 PM
10 Second Club

Received 423 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by SSCamaro99_3
They are commenting on what you said about the 5.8 Trinity engine being a bigger 5.0 Coyote. It is not. The 5.0 Coyote only share bore spacing, deck height, rod length, and bellhousing patterns with the older modular engine. The 5.8 Trinity is based off of the tall deck 5.4 block in order to fit the 4.165 in stroke.
It is the same basic architecture. Taller deck for more stroke. Just as the 5.4 was a taller deck for more stroke than a 4.6. It would be like saying a 4.8 and a ls3 has no commonality, same basic architecture there too.
Old 08-02-2012, 12:22 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
And your point is what again?? So let me get this straight. I'm the fanboy and your the Ford guy on a LS sight trying to convince me of the Ford superiority......but I'm the fanboy.

Nice try.
How can you not see that you are off in your own world? Do you ignore all the F-body guys that are completely against what you are saying?? Almost all of even the hardcore GM nutswingers will admit that the GT500 is by far the superior car when it comes to going fast in a straight line, but apparently you are on a whole different level then those guys are.
Old 08-02-2012, 01:11 PM
***Repost Police***

It is the same basic architecture. Taller deck for more stroke. Just as the 5.4 was a taller deck for more stroke than a 4.6. It would be like saying a 4.8 and a ls3 has no commonality, same basic architecture there too.
So the new 5.0 is just a bigger 4.6?
Old 08-02-2012, 01:42 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by gocartone
How can you not see that you are off in your own world? Do you ignore all the F-body guys that are completely against what you are saying?? Almost all of even the hardcore GM nutswingers will admit that the GT500 is by far the superior car when it comes to going fast in a straight line, but apparently you are on a whole different level then those guys are.
I'm pretty sure I said the same thing. I said once mods begins it will be all ZL.
Originally Posted by Irunelevens
So the new 5.0 is just a bigger 4.6?
It's still a modular ain't it. Be a greatly updated over that turd junk they use to sell.
Old 08-02-2012, 02:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The block casting is different in the 5.0 compared to the 4.6/5.4/5.8. Firing order and heads are changed as well on the 5.0. The 5.8 is a 5.4 with the iron liners pulled out, and a thin layer of material applied to the aluminum bores for protection in order to allow for the larger bore. The 5.8 is much more an evolution (and last iteration) of the original modular family. It is much more closely related to the 5.4 than the 5.0.

The new 6.2 shares bellhousing pattern with the older modulars, but little else. It has a much wider bore spacing 4.53 vs 3.937.
Old 08-02-2012, 03:08 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by SSCamaro99_3
The block casting is different in the 5.0 compared to the 4.6/5.4/5.8. Firing order and heads are changed as well on the 5.0. The 5.8 is a 5.4 with the iron liners pulled out, and a thin layer of material applied to the aluminum bores for protection in order to allow for the larger bore. The 5.8 is much more an evolution (and last iteration) of the original modular family. It is much more closely related to the 5.4 than the 5.0.

The new 6.2 shares bellhousing pattern with the older modulars, but little else. It has a much wider bore spacing 4.53 vs 3.937.
Yep. there are few interchangeable parts, but threre are some. One of the criteria for the 5.0 was it had to be manufactered with existing tooling.

I guess a 6.2 could be considered a big block modular.
Old 08-02-2012, 04:23 PM
TECH Resident

I'm pretty sure I said the same thing. I said once mods begins it will be all ZL.
That's the part I was talking about. Explain how a car that's down 100whp, traps ~10mph lower, is weighed down by an extra 200lbs, AND responds worse to mods due to a smaller supercharger/weaker engine is going to have an advantage mod for mod? The GT500 will go high 10s/low 11s on just a tire, it takes quite a bit of work to get the ZL1 down in that range just to catch up.
Old 08-02-2012, 05:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I cant wait to see someone spray the **** out of a ZL1 to prove that it doesn't take alot to go fast just a tire and spray instead of having to run a cam and cnc"d heads since nobody makes a bigger blower yet.
Old 08-02-2012, 05:08 PM
10 Second Club

That's the part I was talking about. Explain how a car that's down 100whp, traps ~10mph lower, is weighed down by an extra 200lbs, AND responds worse to mods due to a smaller supercharger/weaker engine is going to have an advantage mod for mod? The GT500 will go high 10s/low 11s on just a tire, it takes quite a bit of work to get the ZL1 down in that range just to catch up.
Because the 1st thing I would do is change the charger. It's to small from the get go. Besides that it's like I said earlier, you can easily make a 400+ci(even 427 or 440ci) ls motor with a appropriate sized charger is gonna make huge power. Stuff that in the really good but slightly heavy Camaro ZL chassis and it would be one incredible monster. Were not talking 10's here. It could do 9.5 or faster on pump. Hasn't someone already had a h/c ZL in the 9's?
Old 08-02-2012, 05:17 PM
***Repost Police***

How in the world is that "mod for mod?" GT500 went 9s bolt-on/pullied.
Old 08-02-2012, 05:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hiossilver-It went 9's but not on pump gas. The crazy part is livernois said the guy who bought it is going to race it not on a drag strip but on a road course crazy huh? A road racer only a tire and race fuel swap away from 9's gotta love the new era of muscle cars...
Old 08-02-2012, 05:58 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Because the 1st thing I would do is change the charger. It's to small from the get go. Besides that it's like I said earlier, you can easily make a 400+ci(even 427 or 440ci) ls motor with a appropriate sized charger is gonna make huge power. Stuff that in the really good but slightly heavy Camaro ZL chassis and it would be one incredible monster. Were not talking 10's here. It could do 9.5 or faster on pump. Hasn't someone already had a h/c ZL in the 9's?
So, you would buy a bigger blower that cost several thousand dollars and a GT500 owner would spend $1k on a pulley, tune and tires and still destroy you.

I'm trying real hard to see where the ZL1 wins in the "mod for mod" department.

You keep digging a deeper hole everytime you post in this thread.
Old 08-02-2012, 06:09 PM
TECH Resident

So, more mods to the ZL1 than the GT500 is going to eventually make it the faster car? NO WAY! They did go 9s at 140+mph on a H/C ZL1 with full bolt ons, compared to the GT500 running the same times on full bolt ons with stock heads and cams. So, again, it took more mods for the ZL1 just to match the GT500. How again is it that the ZL1 the faster car mod for mod??
Old 08-02-2012, 06:49 PM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by -Ross-
So, you would buy a bigger blower that cost several thousand dollars and a GT500 owner would spend $1k on a pulley, tune and tires and still destroy you.

So, more mods to the ZL1 than the GT500 is going to eventually make it the faster car? NO WAY! They did go 9s at 140+mph on a H/C ZL1 with full bolt ons, compared to the GT500 running the same times on full bolt ons with stock heads and cams. So, again, it took more mods for the ZL1 just to match the GT500. How again is it that the ZL1 the faster car mod for mod??
Well it's obvious that you two are Ford nut-swingers
Old 08-02-2012, 07:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

even i cant see a zl1 having an advantage over a 2013 GT500. that thing is a monster. i mean yes im sure theyll be some zl1s running some good times but i see gt500s running faster.
Old 08-02-2012, 08:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by -Ross-

So if you compare the cost of the ZL1+bigger blower it is about the same as a equally equipped GT500 no? Is there not a roughly 6-8000 dollar price difference between the two?

Now don't get me wrong I know the GT500 is a beast but at the same time when it comes down to dollar for dollar a blower swap would put them to about the same money but the ZL1 would problably make more power.
Old 08-02-2012, 09:00 PM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by firebird99
So if you compare the cost of the ZL1+bigger blower it is about the same as a equally equipped GT500 no? Is there not a roughly 6-8000 dollar price difference between the two?

Now don't get me wrong I know the GT500 is a beast but at the same time when it comes down to dollar for dollar a blower swap would put them to about the same money but the ZL1 would problably make more power.
The way this particular car was equipped, yes. But a base GT500 is almost the exact same price as a base ZL1, and if you are that focused on straight line performance that is the car you would get.
Old 08-02-2012, 09:01 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by firebird99

Both cars cost the same, if going fast in a straight line is your only want there's no need for anything other than the "base".
Old 08-02-2012, 09:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ah you forgot to add that one of those cars had to have suspension,brakes and weight reduction while the ZL1 just added power although it did cost more but that's also assuming you don't save a big chunk by doing it yourself which alot guys do so that will lessen the financial hit. The other car that went 9's did it with full weight stock brakes and stock suspension with the help of nitrous but the draw back to that is not having that power at all time since the bottle does run out.

At the end of the day it's all going to come down to who's pockets are deeper.
Old 08-02-2012, 09:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
The way this particular car was equipped, yes. But a base GT500 is almost the exact same price as a base ZL1, and if you are that focused on straight line performance that is the car you would get.
Agreed to a point because the ZL1 will go 9's and still be able to do everything it was built to do as where the GT500 in this case either won't or will but without the added power of the bottle to which I might add leaves you with a one trick pony.
Both cars cost the same, if going fast in a straight line is your only want there's no need for anything other than the "base".
Ok but if you all you care about is going fast for 1320 and nothing else then buying a GT500 is pointless since it would be cheaper to buy a GT and go just as fast if not faster for the same price.

Some people want to go fast and still be able to handle sorta like when guys go from a fbody to a vette wait didn't you do that? You of all people should be able to appreciate a car that can not only go fast but hug the corners at the same time.

Quick Reply: Road and Track ZL1 vs GT500