Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Porsche 4-Door Sedan

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2004 | 09:37 AM
TECH Addict

Default Porsche 4-Door Sedan

This is a PhotoChop impression of an upcoming 4-Door Porsche.

another

And Another

And Yet another

And finally...

Then from the Waaaaaay Back Machine of the early 90's

hele oude scoops van www.flat-6.net (goeie porsche-site). Dit schrijven ze:

The 989 was intended to become first 4-door Porsche ever, having a true back seat. Plans were for it to be powered by a large 4.2 litre, all alloy, water cooled V8, and for it to be the successor to the 928. Not too far into the development, it was trashed, due to the extreme development costs and limited number of potential buyers.

The control arm suspension, which was later featured on the 993, was developed for the 989. The most striking feature are the headlight and tailight clusters, which are exactly like the ones found on the latest 911, the 996. Porsche had this 1998 styling developed all the way back in 1991! Even though the project was scrapped, it was not a total loss, as it eventually served as the predecessor for the 1998 evolution of the 911 nameplate. Try to imagine the side photo of the 989 with only one set of doors, and you'll see a striking resemblance to the 996.
Old 04-13-2004 | 12:53 PM
Humanitarian

Man... seems like everyone is coming out with better looking and faster cars and Porsche is coming out with these turds (first the truck, now this).
Old 04-13-2004 | 01:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thumbs down

Amen. Like other car manufacturers, they've lost their focus. It's all about going where the money is instead of staying true to your tradition. It's tarnishing the alure of a once proud legend, IMO.

What's next? A 4WD Cadilac with a 20" wheel option and a 12" 10 lb BLING BLING orament on the back? Oh wait...they've already done that.

BTW, didja know that Lamborghini once made a HUGE 4WD sport utility? It cost like $380K way back in the late 80-early 90s. That one didn't make it long thank goodness.

Oh well, check Porsche off of my dream car list.

Ferrari? Are you next? Poor 'ole Enzo will roll over in his carbon fiber 200 MPH V12 Ferrari-red grave.
Old 04-13-2004 | 02:23 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Colonel
Ferrari? Are you next? Poor 'ole Enzo will roll over in his carbon fiber 200 MPH V12 Ferrari-red grave.
...Actually....

-Adam
Old 04-14-2004 | 01:38 PM
Humanitarian

Oh my goodness, what the heck are these people doing. Supercars turn into everyday mobiles and the everyday mobiles turn into something mean (Caddy SUV's getting V-12's and silly stuff like that).

Whats going on, jeepers creepers.
Old 04-14-2004 | 01:43 PM
Customizing Director

4 door porsche and a ferrari wagon... just plain wrong
Old 04-14-2004 | 03:57 PM
TECH Addict

Here are some more

Old 04-15-2004 | 12:36 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by MadIceV8
4 door porsche and a ferrari wagon... just plain wrong
Or plain cool.
Old 04-15-2004 | 02:16 PM
TECH Veteran

While its nice to cater to the high end customer and keep your passion about the cars, that is what almost killed Porsche in the 80s. And why it is now owned by VW, im sure the people who run the finances of Porsche make sure they design money making cars. Is it wrong to want to stay in business? While some people bash Porsche for their SUV if you have driven a Cayenne Turbo the thing is amazing. I got to flog one on the highway and it was amazingly fast. And the thing weighs nearly 6000 pounds.
Old 04-16-2004 | 10:24 AM
TECH Addict

I don't think the Porsche is all that bad looking. The Ferrari on the other hand...
Old 04-16-2004 | 12:02 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by maddboost
While its nice to cater to the high end customer and keep your passion about the cars, that is what almost killed Porsche in the 80s. And why it is now owned by VW, im sure the people who run the finances of Porsche make sure they design money making cars. Is it wrong to want to stay in business? While some people bash Porsche for their SUV if you have driven a Cayenne Turbo the thing is amazing. I got to flog one on the highway and it was amazingly fast. And the thing weighs nearly 6000 pounds.
I HATE the way the Cayenne looks. If I bought one the first thing I would do is put on VW Touregg exterior body panels and a VW interior. Drove a V8 Tour-egging (about $15K cheaper than the Cayenne S) and really liked it. Very sporty, handles quite well for a 6,000 pound truck and has an amazing interior for the price. I might get one for the Wife-Unit some time in the future.

-Adam
Old 05-21-2004 | 03:24 PM
TECH Addict

from:http://www2.autospies.com/article/in...&categoryId=10
Dear 001,

Just got off the phone with my mole inside Porsche who told me the four door 911 sedan is guaranteed to come to market by 2007.

I know you're going to ask why do they have to do this car?

Plain and simple, the classic 911 doesn't have the stuff to convert customers fleeing the brand for E55's, M5's and others, even with the intro of the 997.

And it's not Porsche's fault.

Most people need the extra room that the 4-door super sedans offer and there is virtually no performance tradeoff.

Especially, American customers.

In my opinion, the car makes even more sense to combat the departing customers than the Cayenne.

Finally, there's one last reason.

Porsche's brand suffers by not being able to live up to their slogan of "There is no substitute". Frankly, in today's market there are MANY substitutes.

I know I would much rather have an M5 than a 997.

That said, the business cases are strong and you can take it to the bank that it's coming soon.

Porsche doesn't like to be in second place to anyone.

And to make matters worse is that MB and BMW have been rubbing their faces in the sand which isn't sitting too well with Porsche execs.

All the best to your readers,

Johnny 'Bump City' Bumpus

What do you think? Is this car important to Porsche or should they forget it?
Old 05-21-2004 | 08:43 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by maddboost
Porsche is NOT owned by VW. This is a very common misconception. They cooperate and collaborate with VAG quite often (The 997 may receive Audi's DSG in a few years, the Cayenne/Touareg twins and Tiptronic Transmissions are all projects or technologies which have been or will be shared and/or worked on by both companies, but Porsche is still an INDEPENDENT car manufacturer). That was the whole reason for the Cayenne in the first place. Build a moneymaker to enable Porsche to survive on its own keeping it away from the hands of another manufacturer (probably VAG).
Old 05-21-2004 | 08:45 PM
TECH Resident

It just occurred to me that you probably meant to say noT instead of noW in your post. hehehe. Oh well, I'll leave my post there for those who don't know.

Quick Reply: Porsche 4-Door Sedan