Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Edmunds Track-Test - 2013 Dodge/SRT Viper GTS

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2012, 01:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ramairetransam
the reviews are dissapointing , hopefully some software tweaks and they will fix the lc . Maybe some better tires, and im surprised they dont have carbon ceramic brakes either. I think id take this over the zr1 if i had a choice just because you see vettes all the time , never vipers. Thats just me.
On article I read said they skipped Carbon ceramic becasue it would have required 19 inch front wheels. Just what I read.
Old 12-14-2012, 03:07 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think it was more because the performance benefits weren't enough to outweigh the added production costs. The Gen IV Viper brakes worked well to begin with, so they just flipped the placement of the parking brake and caliper in the rear and called it a day. Do they weigh more than carbon ceramics? Absolutely. Maybe it will be offered as an option the next time they bring an ACR back to the table.

At $140k-$150k fully optioned, it's expensive enough as is.
Old 12-14-2012, 04:30 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MeentSS02

I don't think it's going to be any more than $130k fully loaded The base Viper is coming in at under $100k, and the GTS starts at $122k. I think it comes pretty much fully loaded as is. I really doubt they are going to pull what GM started with the Corvette and have a ~30% increase in price for options on one model (Z06 starts at $75k and ends at $105k). Wasn't it only like a $10-20k difference from a base SRT10 Viper and an ACR?

Motortrend tested this against the ZR1 and beat the previous record (ACR Viper) with one of the two at Laguna Seca. Seeing as the 2009 ZR1 (2sec slower than the ACR) and a 2012 Z06 (0.5sec slower) have already been tested there, my money is on the new GTS. They will be posting the results on Monday.
Old 12-14-2012, 04:48 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

When I say fully optioned, I'm including paint options - stryker red (the color the car was unveiled in) is a $14,000 option. Want stripes? $5,000. The Launch Edition (150 being made) starts at $137,890.

Then there's the dealer markups.
Old 12-14-2012, 05:17 PM
TECH Resident

Holy ****, I didn't realize they had a $14k paint option! At that point why wouldn't you just bring it someplace to get it painted a custom color. $14k buys you a pretty goddamn nice paint job, way more than likely one that's of a much higher quality than what they are giving you. Same goes for the stripes.
Old 12-14-2012, 05:59 PM
TECH Regular

11.5 @ 127.3?
More than respectable, but I was expecting more.
Something in the low 130's.

The media has gotten 128mph out of the ZR1 and 126 out of the Z06.

It will be interesting to see if C&D or R&T can coax more out of the Viper.

The handling figures are very remarkable though.
That interior is very striking as well. They did a good job.
Old 12-14-2012, 11:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
I've heard people complain about the price a lot on the viper forums but seriously, what can you buy new for around that price that offers the same level of performance? Yeah I guess a gtr will match it in 1/4 mile and 0-60 numbers but that's because of awd. Other than that and a zr1, there don't seem to be any other options to me. For once the viper has the nicest of the options out there in that price range.
Old 12-18-2012, 10:41 PM
On The Tree

I wouldn't say im let down by the car, only the price tag (i feel the same way about the ZR1 as well). Both are great performers, but anything over $100k for either one is too much in my opinion. As far as the vipers sound, it is a bit of a hit or miss thing for me, I think they have gotten a little better with each generation. But I think this is one of the best sounding gen II vipers.
Old 12-19-2012, 07:49 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Originally Posted by SlowFRC
I've heard people complain about the price a lot on the viper forums but seriously, what can you buy new for around that price that offers the same level of performance? Yeah I guess a gtr will match it in 1/4 mile and 0-60 numbers but that's because of awd. Other than that and a zr1, there don't seem to be any other options to me. For once the viper has the nicest of the options out there in that price range.
I guess I have to take a small step back...the SRT version, while not quite as nice in the interior department, will still have every bit as much in the performance department as the more expensive GTS. If I'm not mistaken, ~$103k-ish will get you an SRT with the track pack...at that point, the only thing missing is the ride-selectable shocks, which could easily be remedied with ~$5k worth of MCS shocks. I'm not sure what the production numbers will look like, but I'd guess they'd sell quite a few more SRT models than the GTS. Thankfully, the engines and everything else is identical.

While there are a few very well-to-do Viper owners out there, it seems like the vast majority are just hard-working, middle class guys that scrapped and saved to get their car. That is something SRT hasn't forgotten...otherwise, there would only be the GTS offered.

Quick Reply: Edmunds Track-Test - 2013 Dodge/SRT Viper GTS