Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Motor Trend: ZR1 vs '13 Viper

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 01:36 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motor Trend: ZR1 vs '13 Viper

Looks like the Viper and ZR1 are pretty evenly matched, with the nod around the track going to the ZR1 and its stickier rubber.

Also, interestingly, the ZR1 barely bested the old ACR's time around Laguna Seca.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...s/viewall.html

They got the same ET, with the ZR1 just barely trapping higher (.1mph!).

They have the same lateral G's (1.08)

The ZR1 stops shorter (again, BARELY)

The ZR1 also handles the figure eight a little better too.

Despite the similarities, the ZR1 was just over two seconds quicker around Laguna Seca.

1:33.7 VS. 1:35.8

Randy Pobst explains that the ZR1 was quicker due to something much less objective, Confidence...
He likens it to the GT-R's blisteringly quick times around the 'Ring.

He says: “Confidence. You can drive it faster because you’re more confident.”

It appears this is where the ZR1 ultimately beats the Viper around a road course.
The added grip or the chassis is confidence inspiring enough to muster a decently quicker time.

Regardless, these are two seriously quick machines.
Old 12-17-2012, 02:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Definitely two fast cars. I'd like to see the Viper times after they've been out for awhile. The car is still too new for a definitive benchmark or comparison. As stated, confidence accounts for a lot. Hard to be confident in a car that is redesigned. Seat time will build confidence. On paper, I see these cars as being about as close as the old "LS1 F-body vs. Mach 1" debates.

I'd still rather own the new Viper over the ZR1.
Old 12-17-2012, 09:38 PM
TECH Veteran

It makes you wonder how capable a new ACR will be if a "plush" GTS performs this well.
Old 12-17-2012, 10:08 PM
10 Second Club

Received 479 Likes on 376 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

The ACR was pretty much a showroom stock scca racer though. I really don't compare it to a ZR1.
Old 12-18-2012, 09:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 172 Likes on 119 Posts

If BG on the LT1 thread is to be believed, the Viper better lookout for the C7s. This is a laughable test at best, comparing 4 year old C6 tech to a brand new Viper for 2013.

Although we are not sure how long it will take for GM to release the big dog C7 models either, so I understand that side of the arguement as well.
Old 12-18-2012, 12:16 PM
TECH Resident

Not really fair comparison when the test driver has spent a TON of time behind the C6 and none in the Viper. Even more so considering Randy picks the easier to drive car, and goes faster in it, 9 out of 10 times. Everything else from the test leads me to believe these cars are identical in performance when driven at the same level. I was expecting more, but I would still take the Viper over the ZR1 every time.
Old 12-18-2012, 12:22 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

To me, this outcome wasn't all that unexpected...I was hoping it would be closer than 2 seconds, but it is what it is. I've driven C6s (Grand Sports and ZO6s) in anger around a road course, and I would agree that the Vette is much more confidence inspiring than my current Viper. Now, I haven't driven a Gen V, but there's only so much you can do to the Viper to really give the driver confidence that it isn't trying to kill you (or at least send you off course).

This is what happens when you use the ZR1 as a benchmark, and then fail to set the bar higher than that benchmark. The engine output, platform weight, etc. point directly them wanting to achieve ZR1-like performance, but not greatly outperform it, if at all.
Old 12-18-2012, 12:28 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
This is what happens when you use the ZR1 as a benchmark, and then fail to set the bar higher than that benchmark. The engine output, platform weight, etc. point directly them wanting to achieve ZR1-like performance, but not greatly outperform it, if at all.
Agreed, and I'm not sure why they made it like that. I see no reason why they didn't aim to beat the ZR1 by at least a noticeable amount.
Old 12-18-2012, 01:12 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gocartone
Agreed, and I'm not sure why they made it like that. I see no reason why they didn't aim to beat the ZR1 by at least a noticeable amount.
All the low hanging fruit is gone. It becomes harder and harder to make improvements at this level. Compared to the ZR-1 the output is similar, the weight is similar, the suspension is less advanced, the brakes are less advanced, have no idea how the gearing is different. We are reaching the point where without a huge increase in ouptut or decrease in weight, road car performance is reaching a ceiling. Even if this thing came with 700hp, you would still have to be able to hook it up, whether from a standing start or exiting a corner.

I would not be shocked if you took a Aventador, whatever the new top level Ferarri is, a Porsche Turbo S, and these to cars to the track. On the same day same driver, you would probably get times that were within a reasonably percentage of each other.

Especially if you could fit them all with the same brand and model of tire.
Old 12-18-2012, 03:43 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Good read!
Old 12-18-2012, 06:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've always found it odd when one car has super grippy tires compared to another when they track test two cars against each other. Always leaves me wondering what the lap times would be if both cars had similar tires. I remember them testing the Lotus Exige against a few other cars and the Lotus had the same lap times but had barely street legal sticky race tires and the others were on hard all terrain tires. Nevertheless, I didn't expect the new Viper to be down 2 whole seconds on Leguna. That's a big chunk of time for one lap. After a handful of laps it's gonna be way behind, I'm a little dissapointed.
Old 12-18-2012, 08:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Put a blower on the Viper and see what happens
Old 12-18-2012, 09:12 PM
LEO
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by CranMaro99
Put a blower on the Viper and see what happens
Add 2.2 liters of displacement and 2 cylinders to the ZR1 and see what happens.
Old 12-18-2012, 09:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I didn't think it was too bad of a read, just kind of goes to show how impressive the ZR1 is. I find it pretty cool that it was able to go out and pretty much perform right on par with a brand new platform that was meant to one-up it.

With that said, I'm a diehard GM guy but I would also have to choose the Viper in this case, that really is one of the best looking cars I think I've seen.
Old 12-18-2012, 10:05 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SSCamaro99_3
All the low hanging fruit is gone. It becomes harder and harder to make improvements at this level. Compared to the ZR-1 the output is similar, the weight is similar, the suspension is less advanced, the brakes are less advanced, have no idea how the gearing is different. We are reaching the point where without a huge increase in ouptut or decrease in weight, road car performance is reaching a ceiling. Even if this thing came with 700hp, you would still have to be able to hook it up, whether from a standing start or exiting a corner.

I would not be shocked if you took a Aventador, whatever the new top level Ferarri is, a Porsche Turbo S, and these to cars to the track. On the same day same driver, you would probably get times that were within a reasonably percentage of each other.

Especially if you could fit them all with the same brand and model of tire.
Well said, and people look down at ZR1 now, cause there are new cars coming left and right everyday. But forgetting that the ZR1 was just compared to the McLaren MC12 and the 458 only a few months ago with the result of all the three being almost identical, all within 1 second of each other.

YES those are more refined, and Yes they have better interiors, but they also cost more than 3x the amount... I'm sure with the 200k you save you could custom make a gucci interior if you wanted to.
Old 12-18-2012, 10:58 PM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by D3VIL
Well said, and people look down at ZR1 now, cause there are new cars coming left and right everyday. But forgetting that the ZR1 was just compared to the McLaren MC12 and the 458 only a few months ago with the result of all the three being almost identical, all within 1 second of each other.

YES those are more refined, and Yes they have better interiors, but they also cost more than 3x the amount... I'm sure with the 200k you save you could custom make a gucci interior if you wanted to.
Don't do that. Compare the cars as they are, buy the one that you like the most. You can do that with things like wheels/tires/stereo, etc, but the entire interior is a bit of a stretch...
Old 12-19-2012, 12:16 AM
Douchebag On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
Don't do that. Compare the cars as they are, buy the one that you like the most. You can do that with things like wheels/tires/stereo, etc, but the entire interior is a bit of a stretch...
I understand you point completely, feeling the same way, but if you love the ZR1 that much and you're willing to drop 110-120k on one, spending another 10k on interior wouldn't be much of a stretch. You can wrap everything in premuim leather, alcantara, and put in some nice seats. Done, and you've made up the car's only real shortcoming.

Not the best color combo IMO, but still, vast improvement. I'd still wait to see the C7 first if it was me, though.

Old 12-19-2012, 01:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Congrats to the ZR1 on setting a new record at Laguna... I want a vid!
Old 12-19-2012, 02:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TheBlueKnight
I've always found it odd when one car has super grippy tires compared to another when they track test two cars against each other. Always leaves me wondering what the lap times would be if both cars had similar tires. I remember them testing the Lotus Exige against a few other cars and the Lotus had the same lap times but had barely street legal sticky race tires and the others were on hard all terrain tires. Nevertheless, I didn't expect the new Viper to be down 2 whole seconds on Leguna. That's a big chunk of time for one lap. After a handful of laps it's gonna be way behind, I'm a little dissapointed.
You do realize the viper has the softer compound of the two don't you?
Old 12-19-2012, 02:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gocartone
Not really fair comparison when the test driver has spent a TON of time behind the C6 and none in the Viper. Even more so considering Randy picks the easier to drive car, and goes faster in it, 9 out of 10 times. Everything else from the test leads me to believe these cars are identical in performance when driven at the same level. I was expecting more, but I would still take the Viper over the ZR1 every time.
Trying a little hard to discredit the zr1 huh? Everyone says they want the same driver on the same day on the same track to prove a cars worth then when they do people like you try to find away to make excuses because it wasn't the outcome YOU wanted.

Quick Reply: Motor Trend: ZR1 vs '13 Viper