Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

ZL1 outruns GT500 at VIR: Lightning Lap 2013

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2012, 06:58 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The only way the GT500 would beat the ZL1 around a road course is if the GT500 blocks the ZL1 around turns and chicanes.

Of course, that would be dangerous and the GT500 owner would be flagged and told to leave.
Old 12-28-2012, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by DiscerningZ32
The only way the GT500 would beat the ZL1 around a road course is if the GT500 blocks the ZL1 around turns and chicanes.

Of course, that would be dangerous and the GT500 owner would be flagged and told to leave.
I don't know who told you how racing goes but blocking is a big part. Its one thing to be faster its another to pass someone! I still think the 1le is the best car for money out of the test but you still have to pass the gt500 that beat you by 30 feet into the first turn. Now if you talking track day that is totally different but thats not racing thats learning.
Old 12-28-2012, 07:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nanokpsi
The IRS and a lot more tire are a big advantage on the road course. Unless you are a track junkie, I think the lighning lap is kind of silly but it is still neat to read.

You can see how much of a straight line advantage the GT500 has though. Even though it carries less speed through the corners, it hit a 5mph higher top speed on the course.
Can't give credit where credits do huh? Silly ford fan boy.....
Old 12-28-2012, 07:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Even after this I would still like to see a direct comparison between the boss and the SS(with 1le option) to end all of the crying from the ford camp. So untill that day comes Chevy wins out on the road course and ford wins out on the drag strip both both can be modded to perform great on both. Things should get real nasty once both new models drop (camaro&mustang) and the lt1 is added into the equation.

Last edited by firebird99; 12-28-2012 at 07:43 PM.
Old 12-28-2012, 07:39 PM
10 Second Club

I wouldn't have expected it to be that fast with the changes GM made and all that weight still being lugged around.

I must admit, I like them a lot more than when the 5th gen first came out.

I didn't even know they offer Navigation now.
Honestly, the only thing I don't like about the 5th gen is its weight.
I like everything else.

Only thing that bugs me about the 1LE is the black hood.
My favorite colors for the 5th gen are yellow and white.
Don't like the way they look with a black hood though. :\
I wasn't a fan of the 5th gens until I test drove a ZL1. I loved it so much; I bought it. Even with the weight, the car hauls *** and just flat out handles like it's on rails with no body lean AND it's perfectly civil when just cruising around. The MRC and PTM may seem like a gimmick to some; but it works as promised. The 2013's have the new Mylink infotainment system with some pretty cool features like Nav, Bluetooth, backup camera, etc.

Originally Posted by LEO
GM really did its homework when it came to the suspensions on the ZL1 and 1LE. Nice work GM.
Yes they did. As I mentioned above the car flat out handles like it's on rail; without the lumber truck feel you get with a live rear axle with a stiff suspension.

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
Inb4thefordexcusemakers.

Anyone else notice the 1LE was only .9 off a GT500 on that lap time. That goes to show just HOW MUCH BETTER the Camaro chassis really is that the Mustangs....hands down no excuses on that. The 1LE is 230hp down to that car.....that's damn impressive.
Yes the naysayers will come a plenty. The 1LE is a well engineered package at a great price. Well done GM indeed.

Originally Posted by jmurray87
The ZL1 is very impressive, why it gets bashed so much is beyond me. The car weights that much more then a GT500 and makes less power yet still put down a better lap time. GM did a real good job with the cars setup and built a great all around car since it's not all about straight line times. At the same time I do still wish it was a little bit lighter but oh well it's a heavy platform.

That being said, the 1LE is also still showing how impressive it is being just a few suspension options on an SS has beat the Boss302 several times now and it's cheaper.
I agree. It's a great value even at the price. I too wish it was lighter; but the car drives and handles much smaller than it really is which is a testament to the great engineering job GM did. As a former 4th gen owner (had the TA for 12 years) the fact is; it's light years ahead of the 4th gen in all aspects even with the extra weight. Once Spring comes I can't wait to hit the track to go for 11's. It dyno'd at 535 rwhp bone stock so I know it can do it; but it comes down to the driver.
Old 12-28-2012, 08:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by firebird99
Can't give credit where credits do huh? Silly ford fan boy.....
I don't need to give itbcredit as it earned it by posting the better time. I was just stating why the zl1's chassis hasvan advantage. I actually really like the zl1.
Old 12-28-2012, 09:01 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by topher3134
I don't know who told you how racing goes but blocking is a big part. Its one thing to be faster its another to pass someone! I still think the 1le is the best car for money out of the test but you still have to pass the gt500 that beat you by 30 feet into the first turn. Now if you talking track day that is totally different but thats not racing thats learning.
You couldn't be any more wrong about blocking.

GT racing, Trans AM, Le Mans, F1, etc all have rules against blocking.

The SCCA is the "go to" sanctioning body for most all racing in the US.
Here's their official rule book: http://cms.scca.com/documents/2011%2...d%20August.pdf

GCR page 62: "The overtaking driver is responsible for the decision to pass another car and to accomplish it safely. The overtaken driver is responsible to be aware that he is being passed and not to impede or block the overtaking car. A driver who does not use his rear view mirror or who appears to be blocking another car attempting to pass may be black flagged and/or penalized, as specified in Section 7."

Nearly every racing series has a rule against blocking.

In fact, it became an official rule in F1 this year.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/16416932
Intentional blocking in these classes leads to time penalties and possibly even disqualification if they persist.

Intentional blocking can be EXTREMELY dangerous.

Also, you WILL be tossed out of an open track day if you go around blocking people.

Last edited by DiscerningZ32; 12-28-2012 at 09:09 PM.
Old 12-28-2012, 09:06 PM

Yah I forgot they just move over and let people by in f1. That's why those cars end up airborne when they run over each other.
Old 12-28-2012, 09:15 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by topher3134
Yah I forgot they just move over and let people by in f1. That's why those cars end up airborne when they run over each other.
Yeah. I watch too much Trans Am and GT racing.

It comes up from time to time.

Most cars don't do it though. The driver and the car is either faster, or it isn't.

There hasn't been much blocking in racing since the good old days of the BTCC.
Old 12-28-2012, 09:28 PM

I went to the f1 race in Austin and the passing was very limited compared to watching some of the multi class racing series. Which is pretty much where your rules apply. The don't like crazy prototype cars held up by rx8s
Old 12-28-2012, 09:44 PM
Launching!

Plain and simple the people bashing the zl1 have never driven one.
Old 12-28-2012, 09:49 PM

Zl1 is great looking car. I like the 1le would buy this but wish it was called the z/28. If I wanted to run 1/4 miles it would be the gt500
Old 12-29-2012, 01:17 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by chevydan
Plain and simple the people bashing the zl1 have never driven one.
I promise the same is true for the gt500, although not much bashing in here. The z is much slower acceleration wise, but holds the advantage in handling. I just wish the camaro interior wasn't so blah to me, so I could get one. I hate the dash and gauge layout.
Old 12-29-2012, 09:57 AM
Teching In

I promise the same is true for the gt500, although not much bashing in here. The z is much slower acceleration wise, but holds the advantage in handling. I just wish the camaro interior wasn't so blah to me, so I could get one. I hate the dash and gauge layout.
I agree on the interior, the NAV and steering wheel update helped some. I like the console gauges but hate the speedo, tach and the heat/ac boob controls. Never a fan of the front or rear of the car but the ZL1 updates helped the exterior and the rims are sweet. A few tenths here, or a few secs there around a track are not what make my decision. Its the over all looks, feel and performance mixed together and that is where the GT500 wins in my eyes. Ford missed out on the pricing war but that engine is a work of art when the hood if opened, I used to feel that way about the TPI's in the 3rd Gens.
Old 12-29-2012, 11:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Smile

i have to rub it in again on how people said on here how GM half assed this car and used what was available instead of waiting and seeing.

these cars are very capable of doing anything you want close to or just as well as its competitors. and at a fair price.
Old 12-29-2012, 11:57 AM
10 Second Club

I use the HUD to monitor rpms and mph. It's real nice once you get used to it. It has 4 different formats including a ZL1 specific one which has a g meter (my highest was 1.10) that holds the highest number a second after the turn and a shift light.
Old 12-29-2012, 12:11 PM
10 Second Club

Received 423 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by MI-Z/28
Now imagine how much the 1LE would shine with the LS7 in it. I really hope GM builds that car.
It would probably out perform the ZL1 on the road course.
Originally Posted by 2000SSNavyblue
I like the GT500 more myself as well even if it a bit slower around some tracks. Fact is, if the ZL1 and GT500 were lined up side by side on the track and raced around it at the same time, the GT500 gets the jump and stays in front the whole time. ZL1 would not be able to pass at all and this is how I like to compare them. Now price wise the ZL1 beats the GT500, and it comes with a sunroof which I prefer, the ZL1 package helps the looks a bunch as Im not a fan of the standard 5 gens and its currently assembled outside the USA boarders and built by a failed company in my eyes. Now as an ex-5 time camaro owner, I have luved the GT500s, not going to spend 55k plus for any car but I will spend a bit over $40k soon and pick up a nice, clean used 2011 or 2012 GT500 and perhaps toss a pulley and tune at it and be somewhere between the two new HP wise. The average Joe and more will never know the difference performance wise but will notice 10grand plus more in his pocket.
Not at all. Standing start and I bet the ZL! holeshots the gt500 and never looks back. With as big as handling disparity(and it's ******* huge weather you want to admit or not) there is between the the gt500's tires will be used up long before the ZL's. It would start looking real ugly for the gt500 after 3laps.
Really? Show me one. You may want to look up big words so you know what they mean before you use them. Pointing out advantages is not giving an excuse dipshit.
You hole post was a excuse dumbass.

And again....
Not at all. Standing start and I bet the ZL! holeshots the gt500 and never looks back. With as big as handling disparity(and it's ******* huge weather you want to admit or not) there is between the the gt500's tires will be used up long before the ZL's. It would start looking real ugly for the gt500 after 3laps.
Old 12-29-2012, 12:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I was really happy when I first heard that GM will be making a car to compete with the Boss 302. But seeing that it can out perform the Laguna Seca & even almost the GT500 at VIR is very impressive. Its a ZL1 without the LSA. Props to them! Now that the 6th gens are going to be made with Cadillacs I'm sure its weight will be in the average 3600 lb range!
Old 01-01-2013, 10:41 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
It would probably out perform the ZL1 on the road course.

You hole post was a excuse dumbass.

And again....
How exactly will the ZL1 get the hole shot ever, if every mag has consistently shown the GT500 quicker 0-40, 0-60, etc? Its just not going to happen no matter how much you wish that it would, all things being equal. I understand the brake fade and we are comparing stock vehicles. However, after some use, pads, rotors and fluid are changed at some point and as many members do here, they do not replace with stock items, at times even improved items. For a few hundred you can get brake cooling kits, if your going to track your GT500 you may as well spend the money. Even still, Ford should be working to address the brakes for the 2014 GT500 with cooling ducts or better. As far as those of you who talk about racing and moving over, I'm comparing the two on the same track at the same time. Me in a GT500 and you in a ZL1, I get the jump and stay in the lead the whole 1st lap, Im not going to move over for you to pass if your on my tail, in a turn, plus after the turn, Im going to stomp on it and your going to fade back, then you may catch up in a turn again but again, not enough hp or handling to pass me in the turn so your on my tail, then the turn ends and I stomp on it and you fade again. Repeat cycle, over and over, lap ends and I win. Now we do this a 2nd lap and the same. Now Im seeing my brake issue, I have won 2 laps and have to stop, your over there making excuses about going more laps and you would have won, Im like sure, sure you got me, wink, wink. 2 weeks later we do the same and I have a brake cooling kit on for $300 or less and we do more laps and low and behold, no brake fade and you are doing the same repeat cycle except this time you are saying how I had to spend $300 to win. Next time you come with a pulley and tune but guess what I did the same and the cycle repeats, until the tires go bald on the GT500 first, blow out and then you pass, or maybe you run out of gas before that happens as the ZL1 can't get the MPG's. Bottomline there is no hole shot and as a daily driver, we know which car will dominate the other each and everytime. Either way, GM did good with the ZL1 and competition is a good thing.
Old 01-01-2013, 11:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Here is the official video for the Lighting Lap.

Just to point out, the GT500 tested was 62k vs the ZL1 at 56k. Which explains why they were in different classes since they put them in classes based on price.

Quick Reply: ZL1 outruns GT500 at VIR: Lightning Lap 2013