Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

ZL1 outruns GT500 at VIR: Lightning Lap 2013

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 02:48 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One of them did, I read which one it was but I don't want to repeat who because I don't know it to be fact, just what I read off the internet.

My hats off to GM, they have sold as many 5th Gens as they can make and have made them handle exceptionally well, even when straddled with so much weight.
Old 01-08-2013, 02:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

[QUOTE=GotHemi?;17039618]
Originally Posted by HioSSilver
The ZL handles much better, that means it makes time threw the corners. The GT500 makes time down the straights. This means the ZL handles better no matter what the lap times say. How do you morons think the 1LE got within 9 tenths with 236 less hp????
QUOTE]

Hmmm care to explain how it was so close to the ZL1 down 150hp? This was with a missed shift so it would have been even closer to the ZL1's time with no mistakes. Im guessing these two were actually tested on the same day so it makes it much more apples to apples than the GT500 comparison. They are both the same chassis, similiar suspension, but the ZL1 has more grip and a lot more hp.

My guess it's because the ZL1 isnt making advertised hp due to inefficient cooling.

Also youre a nut case if you honestly think the LSA can consistently make more power than a 5.4 or 5.8. Just because ONE failed at a certain power level doesnt me all will. Tunes can be off. Malfunctions happen.

By your logic they can have 100's of 5.4/5.8's @ 900+ rwhp but if ONE fails @ 900 and that means ALL will fail, nevermind the 100's that are well over that mark.

If ONE (LS)A makes 900rwhp yet 100's have let go @ 800rwhp that means they all will make 900rwhp all day every day, nevermind the 100's that failed @ 800.
Like I said before your going to do everything you can to bash the zl1 and call anyone who likes it a fan boy. I guess as long as we keep feeding you your going to continue to troll.
Old 01-08-2013, 07:39 AM
10 Second Club

Received 423 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by Heater
GT 500's have been in the 9's without nitrous, that particular one had a nitrous malfunction and that's what blew it up.

You are one to say someone makes dumb *** comments. Everybody on here thinks you are a joke with the ignorant excuses that you get hung up on. I would hate to walk through life with blinders on.
My eyes are wide open bud. Like I said take a look around and you will find cast pickuptruck motors in the 8's.....and quite a few in the 9's. Do that with your ford ****.

Apparently they're plenty strong. Now run along to your ford sight and play with the other little boys.
Originally Posted by GotHemi?
[

Hmmm care to explain how it was so close to the ZL1 down 150hp? This was with a missed shift so it would have been even closer to the ZL1's time with no mistakes. Im guessing these two were actually tested on the same day so it makes it much more apples to apples than the GT500 comparison. They are both the same chassis, similiar suspension, but the ZL1 has more grip and a lot more hp.

My guess it's because the ZL1 isnt making advertised hp due to inefficient cooling.

Also youre a nut case if you honestly think the LSA can consistently make more power than a 5.4 or 5.8. Just because ONE failed at a certain power level doesnt me all will. Tunes can be off. Malfunctions happen.

By your logic they can have 100's of 5.4/5.8's @ 900+ rwhp but if ONE fails @ 900 and that means ALL will fail, nevermind the 100's that are well over that mark.

If ONE (LS)A makes 900rwhp yet 100's have let go @ 800rwhp that means they all will make 900rwhp all day every day, nevermind the 100's that failed @ 800.
There was almost 4 seconds between the 1le and the ZL.

I think Ford did a great job with the 13 GT500's. The 500's before was turds for their power. The ZL seems to off a bit to me in the acceleration department compared to the CTS-v's. I woulda thought in would've been hands down quicker. But it looks like they got the handling right.
Old 01-08-2013, 05:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Laughing at the fan boys getting butt hurt, thanks for that guys
The 5.8 is all forged, is the LSA?

Who needs to lay the crack pipe down?

Keep drinking the Kool Aid
GT 500's have been in the 9's without nitrous, that particular one had a nitrous malfunction and that's what blew it up.

You are one to say someone makes dumb *** comments. Everybody on here thinks you are a joke with the ignorant excuses that you get hung up on. I would hate to walk through life with blinders on.
One of them did, I read which one it was but I don't want to repeat who because I don't know it to be fact, just what I read off the internet.

My hats off to GM, they have sold as many 5th Gens as they can make and have made them handle exceptionally well, even when straddled with so much weight.
So you join this thread just to laugh at the fan boys when in all reality your one of the fan boys in this thread. Then once you get called out on your misinformation you rebuttal with a idk and throw out a complement. Do yourself a favor and bow out like the other ford swingers.
Old 01-08-2013, 05:33 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by firebird99
So you join this thread just to laugh at the fan boys when in all reality your one of the fan boys in this thread. Then once you get called out on your misinformation you rebuttal with a idk and throw out a complement. Do yourself a favor and bow out like the other ford swingers.
LOL...This guys a character.
Old 01-08-2013, 05:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I must say I was one to hate the zl1. I mean it look like a nice car with a good setup but couldn't get pass the part a sc ls motor can't trap higher than 120+ down the strip. I had a chance to see one up close and see it run and change my thoughts completely. Car has a lot of potential and handles great for a big car. Both cars are bad *** and comes down to which one is better for the buyers needs.
Old 01-08-2013, 08:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Theblacknightls1
I must say I was one to hate the zl1. I mean it look like a nice car with a good setup but couldn't get pass the part a sc ls motor can't trap higher than 120+ down the strip. I had a chance to see one up close and see it run and change my thoughts completely. Car has a lot of potential and handles great for a big car. Both cars are bad *** and comes down to which one is better for the buyers needs.
No matter what et the zl1 manages to get its mph will always be lower stock vs stock and people will slam it based on that alone. The car is able to use its power better then gt500 it just lacks the raw power to pull it along on the roll like the gt500 so it comes down to chassis(zl1) vs engine(gt500).
Old 01-08-2013, 09:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

LOL...This guys a character.
Call me what u want his only purpose was to troll and nothing else atleast you had something to debate even though I didn't agree it still had substance.
Old 01-08-2013, 09:30 PM
***Repost Police***

No matter what et the zl1 manages to get its mph will always be lower stock vs stock and people will slam it based on that alone. The car is able to use its power better then gt500 it just lacks the raw power to pull it along on the roll like the gt500 so it comes down to chassis(zl1) vs engine(gt500).
I'd bet a lot of that disparity with the '13 GT500 times has to do with tire width. Strap some slicks to both, the GT500 picks up quite a bit. So it's not necessarily the chassis.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:28 PM
Staging Lane

There was almost 4 seconds between the 1le and the ZL.
i guess youre right. I didnt look at the peak MPH of the two and the ZL1 is a bunch faster. What i dont get it how the LFA had almost 3mph on the Shelby. I know for a fact that car doesnt trap as high as the GT500. I guess its more to it than that when racing on a road course...
Old 01-08-2013, 10:30 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
I'd bet a lot of that disparity with the '13 GT500 times has to do with tire width. Strap some slicks to both, the GT500 picks up quite a bit. So it's not necessarily the chassis.
Im willing to bet if the rumor of them being tested on different days with different drivers is true that the GT500 would have been as fast if not faster than the ZL1. Just like in all the other tests. I should say it could have still been slower but no where near 3 seconds.

Now strap the ZL1's tires to the Shelby and im pretty confident the car would lap faster than the ZL1 every time, but if my aunt had a dick she'd be my uncle.

Bottom line. Im a drag racing guy just like 90% of everyone else. The GT500 handles well enough that i would never push its handling limits. If i had the dough im taking that pure *** raping MPH.
Old 01-08-2013, 11:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cool

Im willing to bet if the rumor of them being tested on different days with different drivers is true that the GT500 would have been as fast if not faster than the ZL1. Just like in all the other tests. I should say it could have still been slower but no where near 3 seconds.

Now strap the ZL1's tires to the Shelby and im pretty confident the car would lap faster than the ZL1 every time, but if my aunt had a dick she'd be my uncle.

Bottom line. Im a drag racing guy just like 90% of everyone else. The GT500 handles well enough that i would never push its handling limits. If i had the dough im taking that pure *** raping MPH.
Old 01-08-2013, 11:17 PM
Launching!

i guess youre right. I didnt look at the peak MPH of the two and the ZL1 is a bunch faster. What i dont get it how the LFA had almost 3mph on the Shelby. I know for a fact that car doesnt trap as high as the GT500. I guess its more to it than that when racing on a road course...
The LFA comes out of the last corner before the straight at a much higher speed.
The Shelby adds more speed down the straight, but it stared so much slower, it can't catch up.
Old 01-08-2013, 11:44 PM
10 Second Club

I have the mag and I think they did the test over a couple days. But that don't mean ****. The track could get faster on the second day....coming from a RR background the cars usually like a little rubber down.

Since "dough" is the issue....looks like you will need a extra 5g's for the gt500. Equal up the price with mods on the ZL and the only thing getting *** raped with be GT500's.
Originally Posted by Phoenix64
The LFA comes out of the last corner before the straight at a much higher speed.
The Shelby adds more speed down the straight, but it stared so much slower, it can't catch up.
Looks like Pheonix summed it up pretty well for ya. This it what happens for those of you who think the GT500 is just gonna blast around everybody goin down the straights.
Old 01-09-2013, 12:10 AM
On The Tree

Call me what u want his only purpose was to troll and nothing else atleast you had something to debate even though I didn't agree it still had substance.
I came into the thread laughing at each other side arguing over the same stuff over and over, just thought while I was here I'd take a jab at Hio. He is one of the funniest fan boys in case you haven't noticed.

LoL, then you clown me for being serious and not trolling, when I gave the ZL1 and 1LE props....ok.
Old 01-09-2013, 04:37 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Phoenix64
Makes sense.

Since "dough" is the issue....looks like you will need a extra 5g's for the gt500. Equal up the price with mods on the ZL and the only thing getting *** raped with be GT500's.
A base model GT500 is actually CHEAPER than the ZL1. What the hell would i get the track pack and other handling bullshit for? So you're wrong.

With 5 grand im not even sure if the 113mph (summer time) ZL1 would be able to trap 130 to beat a STOCK GT500.(roll races) You damn sure cant do full bolt on's and a head/cam swap for 5 grand. Bolt on's alone (no nitrous) isnt getting you there for damn sure. Only way i see it happening is bolt on's and nitrous. Thats pretty damn modded to be able to beat a stock ****** shelby. If thats something you would brag about you got the wrong hobby. lol

Its been said that the day the Shelby's class was tested they were dealing with rain and a slick track. I highly doubt it was better. Either way its ******* stupid to test all these cars on different days with different drivers. I should say its stupid for ppl to take this **** as gospel knowing this.

Edit:
GT500 base MSRP $54,200
ZL1 base MSRP $56,550

So that would leave the GT500 buyer with $2350 to mod. That should get him a tune,pulley,and basic nitrous kit. Should be at least a 140mph car vs the 113-118mph ZL1. LMAO Oh how i love thinking like Hio. Its a blast!

Last edited by GotHemi?; 01-09-2013 at 04:45 AM.
Old 01-09-2013, 07:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

It's mattered to me. I like a good handling car.

I don't know what the **** storm is here. The gt500 is faster in a straight line by a wide margin. The ZL1 out handles it by a wide margin. On a road coarse the only thing that keeps a Gt500 near it on some tracks is it's acceleration. On tighter technical coarses like VIR it gets it's *** stomped.

When mods start the superior chassis of the ZL1 will be even more of a benefit for all round performance. If any of you don't think the lsa is not just as, if not more capable than the 5.8.....then you need to lay the crack pipe down.
you are a fanboi...your opinion doesnt matter lol.

you sure like to put words in folks comments that they didn't say, and debate your words like it's a argument or something. You argue with yourself.

i dont see a **** storm anywhere. 1LE is a better track car.

it's(1LE) the same as a SS/premium GT at the track WE all go to...Maybe .1 faster in the 1/4..drag strip

slower than a base brembo 3.73 GT at the only kind of track i've ever raced a car at.

You like a good handling car? well from 1982-2004 i could identify with your words. I never like the mustang handling and preferred the camaro/firebird. they are fun to drive. HOWEVER....from 2005-2013 the handling difference is negligable and unles you are NOW a roadcourse driving pro...(u seem to be everything else), you, me, 350 million others can't wring out the difference.

It's just like 2011 all over again. Ford fanboi's have their GT that kills the SS, now the 1LE kills thw GT on a road course and Camaro Fanboi's are getting back...GT fanboi's are defensive.
Old 01-09-2013, 07:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Makes sense.

A base model GT500 is actually CHEAPER than the ZL1. What the hell would i get the track pack and other handling bullshit for? So you're wrong.

With 5 grand im not even sure if the 113mph (summer time) ZL1 would be able to trap 130 to beat a STOCK GT500.(roll races) You damn sure cant do full bolt on's and a head/cam swap for 5 grand. Bolt on's alone (no nitrous) isnt getting you there for damn sure. Only way i see it happening is bolt on's and nitrous. Thats pretty damn modded to be able to beat a stock ****** shelby. If thats something you would brag about you got the wrong hobby. lol

Its been said that the day the Shelby's class was tested they were dealing with rain and a slick track. I highly doubt it was better. Either way its ******* stupid to test all these cars on different days with different drivers. I should say its stupid for ppl to take this **** as gospel knowing this.

Edit:
GT500 base MSRP $54,200
ZL1 base MSRP $56,550

So that would leave the GT500 buyer with $2350 to mod. That should get him a tune,pulley,and basic nitrous kit. Should be at least a 140mph car vs the 113-118mph ZL1. LMAO Oh how i love thinking like Hio. Its a blast!
im with you.....my base brembo GT cost 29.7k. i'd get the base GT500. only one kind of track that car would ever see. and it doesnt circle.
Old 01-09-2013, 07:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The 5.8 is all forged, is the LSA?

Who needs to lay the crack pipe down?

Keep drinking the Kool Aid
the 2013 GT500 has the same style of rods all GT500's have. cracked powder forged. they dont have a power limit, they have a rpm limit.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:54 AM
10 Second Club

Makes sense.

Edit:
GT500 base MSRP $54,200
ZL1 base MSRP $56,550

The gt500 don't have the content for lap after lap track days. It lacks the coolers for it. I was going off price as tested because the cars in the mag have all been optioned for optimal performance, says that right there in black and white. BTW all you have to do is watch the video's on these cars and it is easy to see which car handles better.....I don't need a mag for that. Funny how the mph keeps goin down for the ZL and up for the gt500 according to you.
Originally Posted by assasinator
you are a fanboi...your opinion doesnt matter lol.

you sure like to put words in folks comments that they didn't say, and debate your words like it's a argument or something. You argue with yourself.
I never do that....when I do it's in red just like this.
i dont see a **** storm anywhere. 1LE is a better track car.

it's(1LE) the same as a SS/premium GT at the track WE all go to...Maybe .1 faster in the 1/4..drag strip

slower than a base brembo 3.73 GT at the only kind of track i've ever raced a car at.

You like a good handling car? well from 1982-2004 i could identify with your words. I never like the mustang handling and preferred the camaro/firebird. they are fun to drive. HOWEVER....from 2005-2013 the handling difference is negligable and unles you are NOW a roadcourse driving pro...(u seem to be everything else), you, me, 350 million others can't wring out the difference.

It's just like 2011 all over again. Ford fanboi's have their GT that kills the SS, now the 1LE kills thw GT on a road course and Camaro Fanboi's are getting back...GT fanboi's are defensive.
I think the standard SS fe4 suspension would kill the track pack 5.0 on the road coarse, maybe someone will test those head to head. The 1LE looks to have the Boss covered. I would say the Mustang is the better drag car though, wheels/tires to big and car is to heavy on the Camaro for that.

Quick Reply: ZL1 outruns GT500 at VIR: Lightning Lap 2013