Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Popular Hot Rodding - Inside the New Chrysler Hemi

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2004 | 04:56 PM
TECH Veteran

Exclamation Popular Hot Rodding - Inside the New Chrysler Hemi

A cool article going through the design of the new Hemi V8, and a few comparisons to the LS1/LS6.

"Chrysler's new Hemi may well be the definitive small-block of the new century."

With this engine going into a host of new RWD cars (Charger, Magnum, SRT-8, 300C), things are looking good on the muscle horizon. I hope the aftermarket responds along with Mopar Performance Parts.
Old 04-15-2004 | 05:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

well the DOD features is neat, and it's not like GM is pounding out any RWD cars (GOT and Vette obviously) but Chrysler has numerous RWD cars in the works
Old 04-15-2004 | 05:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Do anyone know if Chrysler is working on a two door coupe with Hemi?
Old 04-15-2004 | 05:08 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by granitemonkey
Do anyone know if Chrysler is working on a two door coupe with Hemi?
Available now,

300C

Magnum R/T

Upcoming,

Magnum SRT-8

Charger R/T

No coupes planned.

Last edited by TriShield; 04-15-2004 at 05:17 PM.
Old 04-15-2004 | 05:09 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 30th TA 0219
it's not like GM is pounding out any RWD cars
GM will have a host of RWD cars of all types within the next few years when the new Kappa and Zeta platforms are rolled out.
Old 04-15-2004 | 09:22 PM
12 Second Club

I read that article. I liked the part where they absolutely trashed the Ford 5.4 and 4.6 . Thta was the only honest part of the article. They then went on to list all the new technology Dodge is using in the Hemi. It read almost like checklist of things GM has been doing with the LSx series for damn near 8 years now. Then they claimed the Hemi head to be unbeatable, due to its superior chamber design. They proceeded to hog a set of Hemi heads out and flow them. Put down good flow numbers, no doubt. What these assclowns at PHR fail to realize is that 30 pgs later in THE SAME PHUCKING ISSUE of the magazine, the new AFR heads absolutey whip the **** out of the hemi's flow numbers . PHR has Daimler Chrysler's ***** right on their chin. Not a good mag for unbiased information. Damn sponsor ***** mags .

Last edited by BadAndy; 04-16-2004 at 12:29 AM.
Old 04-15-2004 | 09:31 PM
TECH Addict

The past 4 or 5 years, Dodge has really gotten their stuff together. Gm better watch out!
Old 04-15-2004 | 10:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TriShield
GM will have a host of RWD cars of all types within the next few years when the new Kappa and Zeta platforms are rolled out.
true. But in the meantime they will have lsot market share, and "fanbase" I'm still a huge GM fan, but man had Chrysler got some cool as **** cars cominh out. That 300C looks like a freking Rolls to me, and for like $35G maxed out? WOW!
Old 04-15-2004 | 10:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

What is the difference between the Magnum R/T and Magnum SRT-8??
Old 04-15-2004 | 11:50 PM
Customizing Director

Originally Posted by XtinctHawk02
The past 4 or 5 years, Dodge has really gotten their stuff together. Gm better watch out!
Yea I agree.
Old 04-16-2004 | 12:28 AM
12 Second Club

I think one of them has a blower
Old 04-16-2004 | 09:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BadAndy
Then they claimed the Hemi head to be unbeatable, due to its superior chamber design. They proceeded to hog a set of Hemi heads out and flow them. Put down good flow numbers, no doubt. What these assclowns at PHR fail to realize is that 30 pgs later in THE SAME PHUCKING ISSUE of the magazine, the new AFR heads absolutey whip the **** out of the hemi's flow numbers
Not to sound like an ***, but you cant compare a stock head to an AFR head.....
Old 04-16-2004 | 02:49 PM
12 Second Club

Just like you can't say the new Hemi head is unbeatable. The point being, its a poorly written article with corrupted viewpoints and disgustingly skewed information. You ***! j/k
Old 04-16-2004 | 03:09 PM
STF Veteran

Originally Posted by XtinctHawk02
Outside of a Viper or (doubtfully) the SRT-10 Truck, I will NEVER own a Dodge. I would switch to Ford before I would buy an average Dodge. Long live GM
Old 04-16-2004 | 06:55 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by granitemonkey
What is the difference between the Magnum R/T and Magnum SRT-8??
It's rumored the SRT-8 will be supercharged, intercooled, and have 430HP or so stock.

Damn.
Old 04-17-2004 | 05:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by TriShield
It's rumored the SRT-8 will be supercharged, intercooled, and have 430HP or so stock.

Damn.
Nice! I could handle going grocery shopping with that wagon!
Old 04-17-2004 | 06:07 AM
On The Tree

My buddies with Dodge Dakota's, etc can't stand how little control they have over their PCM. They tell me that us GM guys are lucky to have such access/flexibility. Seems to me that if Mopar continues to lock the system down, they will not allow the aftermarket to grow to its full potential.

I know the Germans are enamored with the mystique of the "Mopar" heritage, and they are building on that... just hope they're smart enough to crack it all open.
Old 04-19-2004 | 12:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Uh, hey. BadAndy. That's a David Vizard article. You might want to crack a book or two before making yourself look like a fool. Vizard is not the kind of guy who throws product reviews around for some coin. That guy has got more hours in dynoing and flowbenching things in his own personal lab than you have hours of driving experience in your whole life. If Vizard says it's cool, then it's cool. If he says a design does or does not work, it's because of hours of laboratory testing, not because of some immagined connection between the magazine he's writing for and a vendor. It might be a good idea, in the future, if you had a clue before slagging somebody or something you don't actually know about.
Old 04-19-2004 | 05:56 PM
12 Second Club

What the hell does any of that have to do with the facts at hand? You argue like a liberal. Instead of stroking this guy to whatever end you want, why don't you provide an illustration of my inaccuracy? We call that "useful information," as opposed to your previous jabbering.
Old 04-20-2004 | 01:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

First, let's have a little look-see at your post, shall we?

Originally Posted by BadAndy
I read that article.
Presumably fact.

I liked the part where they absolutely trashed the Ford 5.4 and 4.6 . Thta was the only honest part of the article.
Personal oppinion based on exaggeration of fact. One sentance mentions the Ford motors and simply says (of the LS6) "Make no mistake, this is a world-class engine and is streets ahead of Ford's 4.6/5.4 modular engines. "

They then went on to list all the new technology Dodge is using in the Hemi.
Fact. From a technical standpoint, the article was superb going into quite a bit of detail about the internals of the engine. I write technical documents every day for a very large bank. I can recognize good technical writing when I see it, and this is a superb example. A paragraph or two at the beginning provides context and scope, a paragraph or two at the end provide conclusions, summary, and any speculations (identified with words such as "we think"), and the entire rest of the document devoded to technical details with other products only mentioned for specific comparisons.

It read almost like checklist of things GM has been doing with the LSx series for damn near 8 years now.
Oppinion

Then they claimed the Hemi head to be unbeatable, due to its superior chamber design.
Blatantly false. The article states that _EVERY_OTHER_THING_BEING_EQUAL_ the opposed valve orientation, not the chamber design, would give the HEMI head better flow characteristics:

"Assuming the 5.7 Hemi is at least on a par with the LS6 in every other respect, then its advantage over the LS6 is that it has a valve and port configuration that will, size for size, always out flow the LS6's parallel valve design."

"The advantage of a hemi design of combustion chamber is that the valves (and most importantly the intake valve) are always moving away from the shrouding effect of the cylinder walls (Fig 2) as they lift off the seats."

The same paragraph the second quote above comes from goes on to describe that the chamber design is necessarily similar to others in the market and not a true HEMI design.

They proceeded to hog a set of Hemi heads out and flow them. Put down good flow numbers, no doubt.
Oppinion based on mischaracterization. The article claims port mods only and notes several other aspects not touched. To properly characterize the work done with what is available for the LS series of engines you would probably want to call that a "Stage 1" porting job. There is typically no "hogged out" package available from any retailer so one is left to speculate what you mean by this phrase. The reader is left with the impression that far more was done to the heads than the article states. This is a gross mischaracterization.

What these assclowns
Ad Homenim attack. How quaint. I don't think this qualifies as a fact.

at PHR fail to realize is that 30 pgs later in THE SAME PHUCKING ISSUE of the magazine, the new AFR heads absolutey whip the **** out of the hemi's flow numbers
emotional oppinion ("whip the **** out of" is not a technical term I'm familiar with) based on irrelevant information which is not actually presented as part of the argument

PHR has Daimler Chrysler's ***** right on their chin. Not a good mag for unbiased information. Damn sponsor ***** mags.
Yet more Ad Homenim attacks and unqualified oppionion.

Have I properly identified the "facts" that I'm supposed to be "sticking to"?

Okay. So in all of that, um, information (for lack of a better word) we have two; that's right, count them, two facts presented. One of them I am simply giving you credit for without making you prove, and that's that you read the article in the first place before shooting your mouth off. The rest of your post was personal attacks, mischaracterizations, references to irrelevant (and also unprovided) information, and flat out inaccuracies.

Were you to actually be an INFORMED reader of the magazine in question, the first thing that would have struck you would be the name David Vizard on the top of that article. Perhaps you would have recognized his name from one of the dozen or so books he's written on the subject of internal combustion engines, which characteristics of them help to make power, and which don't. That would be assuming you had actually read any of his books covering engines from the 2L ford 4 cylinder to the small block Chevy v8. You really should search for and read at least "How to Make Horsepower in any Engine." or, if you have a preference for a certain type of engine or application, you can look for one of his dozen or so other books.

Tell you what: I saved you the trouble. Click Here.

David Vizard is a highly respected author and expert in his field. You are some anonymous guy on a web forum. One of the two of you is a credible source, the other is not. Can you guess which is which?

Don't posture at me, boy. I'll school you. You have no idea.

Quick Reply: Popular Hot Rodding - Inside the New Chrysler Hemi