Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Ford Mustang Pitched to Replace Falcon in Australian V8 Supercars Competition

Old 05-29-2013, 12:45 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Ford Mustang Pitched to Replace Falcon in Australian V8 Supercars Competition

Mustang for V8 Supercars

Ford could have a future racing the iconic Mustang in the V8 Supercars championship if a proposal allowing two-door coupes to go head-to-head with the current four-door sedans gains support.

The idea, pitched by V8 Supercars board member and Red Bull Racing Australia and Triple Eight Race Engineering owner Roland Dane in a strategy paper late last year, has gained added impetus following Ford’s announcement that it will cease local manufacturing in October 2016 and kill off the iconic Falcon nameplate.

“The days of four-door medium and large saloons being main players in the market place have gone,” Dane told motoring.com.au. “So that’s what it [the paper] is really about.”

It is understood Dane’s proposal received only limited attention from the board at the time he presented it because of the amount of issues that have beset the category of late, culminating in the recent departure of CEO David Malone and his replacement with former TV executive James Warburton.

“Now we have got some stability back in there I am hoping it will get looked at properly,” said Dane. “But it has very much been in my mind for a long time.”

Dane’s thought process isn’t driven by the plight of Ford specifically, but of the decline of the global four-door sedan market and the end of the Australian automotive industry's ability to build stand-alone models.

The Falcon is going and the Holden Commodore VF will be replaced by a global model in 2017, most likely a front-wheel drive rival for the Toyota Camry and Aurion.

“People’s tastes and needs and whatever are changing,” Dane said. “But on the other hand there will always be the niche cars so we have to make ourselves open and flexible.

“I am saying have an open mind about two-door bodyshells. It is all about aspiration. Aspirational vehicles in the Australian market in the 1970s were actually two-door vehicles. Then they became derivatives of locally produced four-door Fords and Holdens.

“Now times are changing again. We have to have an open mind as to whether we go back to those two-door vehicles.”

Ford has already confirmed the next generation of its iconic Mustang, due for reveal in 2014, will be built in right-hand drive. Ford Australia has yet to say if it will be sold here. Dane argues it would be a logical car to race, especially now that V8 Supercars has adopted the ‘one size fits all’ Car of the Future chassis – another initiative he championed.

“If they wanted to race the Mustang here on the platform we have got today it would be easy to do,” he said.

Ford’s racing future beyond this year is unclear. Its contract with Ford Performance Racing is up for renewal. Over the last few seasons its V8 Supercars presence has dwindled to just six cars.

If his proposal is adopted Dane suggests Betty Klimenko’s Erebus Motorsport could race an E-class coupe if Mercedes-Benz made that request, or the Kelly brothers could move to a Skyline from the Altima.

Racing coupes against saloons would make the parity puzzle even more challenging, but Dane said it was solvable: “The aerodynamics can be equalised enough at the speeds that we do.”

Dane downplayed the potential of such a structure allowing the creation of separate V8 Supercars championships in other parts of the world, even though a series featuring globally recognised pony cars like the Mustang could generate more overseas interest.

“First and foremost I am only interested in it from our Australian championship to keep it relevant. We have kept it relevant by the Car of the Future but … we also have to keep keeping it relevant. That’s why we have to keep an open door and an open mind on this from an Australian point of view.

“Ultimately it’s quite difficult for even a very well conceived formula in Australia to go that much further afield because everyone has got their own ideas in different places. But you never know.”

http://www.motoring.com.au/news/2013/sports/ford/mustang/mustang-for-v8-supercars-36776
Old 06-01-2013, 05:40 AM
Staging Lane

I seriously doubt that Straya's diehard Ford fans will find funny that their favourite car company is racing a car that isn't built in Australia in V8SC.
Old 06-01-2013, 11:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 170 Likes on 118 Posts

Only way I can see this happening is if Ford starts producing 4-door Mustangs. The requirements of the Aussie V8 supercar series does not allow for non-production cars (ruling out 4 door Mustang), will not allow 2 door cars to race 4 door cars for obvious advantage reasons, and requires locally assembled cars. Safe to say, Ford is out of the Aussie supercars for an indefinite time.
Old 06-01-2013, 07:03 PM
TECH Addict

Seems he wants to change the rules to allow Mustangs and other two doors. Makes sense, really, since so many 4-doors are leaving the arena. Of course, those not in Australia could simply say "who cares" and move on, but his argument makes sense for his market.

Of course, making the cars essentially the same(identical chassis under the skin) would be terribly simple from a construction standpoint. Even so, it would be just as easy, if Ford offers any 4dr right hand drive down under, to use that. Look at NASCAR, the most prolific racing org on planet earth... Which of their cars is still a rwd meeting all the requirements of 1995, let alone the beginning of the series. Change happens...
Old 06-02-2013, 06:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

I pray that this series NEVER turns into anything resembling Nascar...
Old 06-02-2013, 01:32 PM
TECH Addict

I don't know what it entails(never been to Aussie-land), but I'd think any fan of it would pray it becomes the monetary juggernaut known as NASCAR for sure! Few sports, if any, generate that much cash. Football, baseball, perhaps soccer on a worldwide level... NBA, NHL, Formula1, INDY, equestrian(there's billions in it), don't come close to NASCAR.

I understand the few people who dislike NASCAR feeling that way, but it's an absolutely massive industry and money... oh, lots of it. I'd expect the average team owner is a multi-millionaire of not a billionaire. That's all I was talking about, the huge amount of change and cold hard CASH in NASCAR! They probably roll in somewhere near 1 billion per race.
Old 06-02-2013, 07:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

I understand your point It'llrun. I just don't like what Nascar has become and money has everything to do with it. Some closer to grass roots type racing is nice to see for a change. I have been to a Nascar race in Texas and it was awesome though. Next is F1, not sure where, Monaco next year, maybe Montreal, depends on my vacation schedule.
Old 06-02-2013, 09:29 PM
TECH Addict

Since I'm in Florida and there's both NASCAR and INDY, I can see them each year, but I don't care to go. It's just too friggin' CROWDED! Traffic anywhere near the big races is just wretched. 3 major races per year(not counting drag racing) is plenty.

Anyway, I just hope that Australian league is able to continue. Sometimes change is the only way, like... when they stop making the cars in the form the rules require. NASCAR went through that with GM in the 80's, with Ford following suite, changing from RWD to FWD platforms and keeping the cars RWD while making them look anything but normal... I miss the old days too. I remember laughing at "King Richard" Petty looking like he was out for a Sunday drive, but with a helmet on, flicking his cigarette out the window and blowing by all the traffic in a car that looked nearly 100% identical to the ones we could go buy. WINSTON CUP!!!
Old 06-03-2013, 10:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Agreed^!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ford Mustang Pitched to Replace Falcon in Australian V8 Supercars Competition