Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Chevy VOLT joins "Electric car" price war

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2013, 08:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Chevy VOLT joins "Electric car" price war

Evidently, it's NOT just me, as a few here seem to think.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/100802841?__s...ins%20Electric

This new pricing may be perfect for GM, with a 140 day + backlog of VOLT sitting around.

I didn't post this for an argument. I posted it for 2 reasons. #1, information. #2, to make a point that MOST people just don't want this kind of car, period.

Maybe with prices around what others are, these cars will sell. Of course, most people can't actually qualify for all $8,000 in government handout, but another 5k off... sweetens the deal.
Old 06-11-2013, 07:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I currently commute about 7 miles a day (assuming I go home for lunch), so a car like this would be ideal for a person in my situation. That said, the technology is still not proven. I'd be much more comfortable leasing something like this than buying, and I'm not a lease person (I like to keep my cars - I grow attached). Maybe if I'm still at this job in another 3-5 years, I'll consider one (as a lease though).
Old 06-11-2013, 09:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

**MOST** people don't buy Corvettes, Camaros, Mustangs, Vipers, Ferraris, Lambos, Lotus' or Porsche either - good point though.
Old 06-11-2013, 09:57 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by BanditTA

**MOST** people don't buy Corvettes, Camaros, Mustangs, Vipers, Ferraris, Lambos, Lotus' or Porsche either - good point though.
Hey GM Get a clue!

MOST people don't buy ANY vehicle, thanks for noticing! However, more people bought a CAMARO last month than VOLT ALL ******' YEAR! If 1 car sells TWELVE TIMES greater than another, which is less of a failure??? Even YOU can figure THAT out!

GOOD POINT though!

For the record, even Porsche Cayenne outsold VOLT last month! Further, like ALL Porsche vehicles, it's notably more expensive than VOLT. Not to outdo itself, I don't recall Porsche offering 12-13 THOUSAND off to purchase any of its vehicles. me a river...
Old 06-16-2013, 04:00 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by It'llrun
Hey GM Get a clue!

MOST people don't buy ANY vehicle, thanks for noticing! However, more people bought a CAMARO last month than VOLT ALL ******' YEAR! If 1 car sells TWELVE TIMES greater than another, which is less of a failure??? Even YOU can figure THAT out!

GOOD POINT though!

For the record, even Porsche Cayenne outsold VOLT last month! Further, like ALL Porsche vehicles, it's notably more expensive than VOLT. Not to outdo itself, I don't recall Porsche offering 12-13 THOUSAND off to purchase any of its vehicles. me a river...

Right, now lets throw the prius in the mix. Pull up the sales figures. The only thing holding this car back is needing a house and garage to own one, that's the only reason why me and many other gen y young adults can't buy one. Also the volt probably won't be my first choice though, there is a lot of good competition for them now and it's growing every year. I personally prefer a plug in that doesn't look wildly different from other cars to the point where you can't tell (waiting on the vw plug in and audi plug in which should look nearly identical to it's regular lineup). I don't want one that stands out too much only because of crazy rednecks and hillbillies that will key the **** out of it or flatten the tires the same way I wouldn't flaunt an expensive watch everywhere I go. Some people hate these cars with a passion, it's as though it goes against some inner religion of there's because they didn't grow up with the technology, and I don't want to have to worry about those idiots.

Edit: Except the Tesla, those cars look amazing and not like a lost alien martian like the way the Leaf looks. Leaf is probably a great deal but I can't get behind that exterior, which is too bad because the interior is one of the nicest I've seen.

Last edited by jimmy169; 06-16-2013 at 04:13 PM.
Old 06-19-2013, 11:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

However, more people bought a CAMARO last month than VOLT ALL ******' YEAR! If 1 car sells TWELVE TIMES greater than another, which is less of a failure??? Even YOU can figure THAT out!

GOOD POINT though!
By that argument there are alot of car manufacturer's that are failures. Someone should let Ferrari, and Lamborghini know that they are failures, combined they didn't even sell 10,000 cars last year!

Electric cars outsold those two brands 6-1 last year... so sad.
Old 06-21-2013, 02:25 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would drive an electric car if it fit my needs. For a DD, I don't care how I get there. I believe many people share this attitude. Electric vehicles work great for short distances, lots of stop and go, and in areas of limited ventilation (mostly industrial)

However, reality says they are way too expensive and have short ranges. End of story. If someone ever comes with with an inductive strip in roadways to power electric cars I am sure 90% of urban car owners will go electric within 15 years.
Old 07-06-2013, 12:23 AM
TECH Addict

Looks like the price reduction helped, as VOLT had possibly its best month ever... Sadly for it and GM, the LEAF is the only car it's really compared to and while GM isn't stopping that comparison by pointing out that its Hybrid is a HYBRID rather than a single sourced electric vehicle, Toyota continues to outsell it by thousands monthly and now Ford has 2 Hybrids selling better than all GM Hybrid vehicles combined(according to the report I saw). http://evobsession.com/electric-vehi...vehicle-sales/

I expected Toyota to outsell GM in the Hybrid market, easily. They did. I didn't totally expect Ford to do the same. To an extent, I did, but not like it happened. Two Ford Models sold more than all GM Hybrids combined. I thought only Toyota would do that. With a nearly 4,900 Hybrid sales advantage for June, I am genuinely surprised Ford did so well in comparison. Maybe the Spark EV will "spark" better sales for Chevy. People really like the Fusion and it shows. It is a nice looking car.

The real (negative) shock to me was Honda. They're not doing well in Hybrid sales, considering all they have involved. Maybe it's too many models. Maybe too many people don't care for their looks. Maybe too many Honda owners prefer the standard stuff. I don't know, but I expected better sales from Honda at this point.
Old 07-25-2013, 09:06 PM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

If they would produce one that could get 300miles on a charge they would have something. 40mi on a charge just isnt practical. Start mass production on natural gas vehicles....the technology is already there. It would cost about .80 / gallon to fill one up and you wouldn't have to subsidize a chunk of the car and installation of the 220v line for them.
Old 07-25-2013, 10:54 PM
TECH Addict

You would, however, have to bring natural gas stations to the rest of the country AND you'd have a need for massive fuel cells in each car, which MUST be replaced every 5yrs or so, at a rather hefty price.

We may as well stick with what we know for general use. We know 2 things right off: #1 gasoline engines are still where it's at for the average car or pickup. #2, diesel power is even better for the average person/vehicle! Even diesel is hard to get in some places. I almost 100% feel that we'd have more diesel vehicles in America, were it not for our government. Just 30yrs ago, diesels were moving forward and Ford, GM and others were offering cars and trucks with diesel engines, aside from the obvious full size pickup and bigger trucks. Today, the "technology" is suffocating manufacturers to a point they don't WANT to make them. Even in the mid 80's, my mother had a Ford Tempo that averaged 45mpg on the highway. Today, car companies are BRAGGING about 35 using gasoline.

Sunday, I visited a local Chevy dealer specifically to check out the new CRUZE diesel... NONE! I asked and was told it isn't RELEASED in Florida yet! WHAT?? NONSENSE! I called a dealer in the Venice area and they had one on the floor. These guys told me that dealer MUST have ordered it from another dealer... Okay, and you can't??? Whatever. We have limited supply of things we want. Other than Corvette, a CRUZE diesel is likely the only Chevy I have any interest in, and I want a 4dr car at the moment.

Those MORONS cost GM and their dealership a sale too, because they told me it's NOT available on Sunday, but today... TODAY, their dealer site shows TWO in stock! Whatever... I've decided on a different, frankly much nicer car.
Old 07-26-2013, 01:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

They are already bringing in charging stations for these useless electric cars....might as well transition over to natural gas if money for the infrastructure is already being built . I've seen the reinforced tanks for natural gas conversion on a gasoline car and thought they were good for 15 years...can't remember though.

All this really shouldn't be an issue anyway....start drilling here and gas will go down to $1 / gallon. We have plenty of oil and more than enough people out of work.
Old 07-27-2013, 04:03 AM
Launching!

Looks like the price reduction helped, as VOLT had possibly its best month ever... Sadly for it and GM, the LEAF is the only car it's really compared to and while GM isn't stopping that comparison by pointing out that its Hybrid is a HYBRID rather than a single sourced electric vehicle, Toyota continues to outsell it by thousands monthly and now Ford has 2 Hybrids selling better than all GM Hybrid vehicles combined(according to the report I saw). http://evobsession.com/electric-vehi...vehicle-sales/

I expected Toyota to outsell GM in the Hybrid market, easily. They did. I didn't totally expect Ford to do the same. To an extent, I did, but not like it happened. Two Ford Models sold more than all GM Hybrids combined. I thought only Toyota would do that. With a nearly 4,900 Hybrid sales advantage for June, I am genuinely surprised Ford did so well in comparison. Maybe the Spark EV will "spark" better sales for Chevy. People really like the Fusion and it shows. It is a nice looking car.

The real (negative) shock to me was Honda. They're not doing well in Hybrid sales, considering all they have involved. Maybe it's too many models. Maybe too many people don't care for their looks. Maybe too many Honda owners prefer the standard stuff. I don't know, but I expected better sales from Honda at this point.
Seems like electric vehicles sales keep going up every month. With more models being offered and battery technology getting better prices should come down to decent levels. What ever manufacture comes out with Paint that absorbs the suns rays to help charge the battery is going to do very well in the future.

http://www.electricdrive.org/index.p...0952/pid/20952

Last edited by fspeedster; 07-27-2013 at 04:15 AM.

Quick Reply: Chevy VOLT joins "Electric car" price war