Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

New Viper Sales Stagnant

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2013, 04:30 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

agreed they are spectacular cars, but if i had the money, mine wud be better spent on the new stingray. and have 50k leftover.
Old 10-10-2013, 10:38 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I swear I read something about Ferrari (fiat) making SRT tone down the Viper to keep it away from the 458 and California. Any way I hope the Viper doesn't go, it's to cool to die out.
Old 10-10-2013, 11:13 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Colesitzy
I swear I read something about Ferrari (fiat) making SRT tone down the Viper to keep it away from the 458 and California. Any way I hope the Viper doesn't go, it's to cool to die out.
Purely speculation...IMO the real reason there was only a small increase in power from the Gen 4 to 5 was due to their very limited budget (the motors are nearly identical), most of which they spent on interior upgrades.
Old 10-10-2013, 01:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 171 Likes on 119 Posts

Not good news for the nicest Viper and best performing ever made. Hope it sticks around!
Old 10-16-2013, 11:23 AM
Staging Lane

I can't believe Dodge let MotorTrend test and write about a car that wasn't in good repair. They should have kept up on that thing.

I am not the biggest fan of the Viper, but I don't really want to see it go either : (

The comment on the "cheap" corvettes paying for the R&D on the big ones is interesting. Dodge sells (or sold) their pickups with the SRT10 and both transmissions from from the Viper. That would offset the development costs of the Viper if they sold many of the pickups, but I don't know if they did.
Old 10-16-2013, 12:52 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by RogueFab
I can't believe Dodge let MotorTrend test and write about a car that wasn't in good repair.
Probably because they didn't.
Old 10-17-2013, 11:36 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by King's Z
Probably because they didn't.
Well I know Dodge doesn't tell MT what to do. But I bet Dodge owned the car, they could have planned their test trip to include some inspection/maintenance.

And the PR rep at dodge could have a relationship with MT that would allow them to have a better idea of what is going to hit the press and perhaps discuss it with them. But it isn't my job, so I don't know.

Either way, cool as hell car, tough break for Dodge.
Old 10-25-2013, 09:08 AM
On The Tree

I was pretty disappointed in the new Viper, it's basically too expensive for not that much of a performance upgrade over the GEN 4.

I do really like the way it looks (in person it's much better) and interior is nice, but no one that has owned a previous GEN Viper gives a **** about interiors, obviously.

So it's no surprising this is happening, GEN 5s are not creating any new Viper customers and the current Viper GEN 4 customers that would typically upgrade don't really have any need for it.
Old 10-25-2013, 01:35 PM
10 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

Only dodge product I like. I would hate to see it go away and as a native Detroiter I want all of the big 3 to do well for my hometowns and US economies sake.
Old 11-15-2013, 05:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Chrysler failed again with the Viper... I thought they were going to get it right this time but pricing & all that just kills it. They need to get their heads out of their asses & understand that Vette is kicking its *** in everything. $100k+ for a base model is just to much for what it is. You put the Viper in a price range like the base C7 then you got a lot of sales. Then have a second mid-range model like the Z06 in the $80-90k range & the higher model in the $100k+. Been saying this for years & is why the Viper died before & will die again
Old 11-15-2013, 05:45 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Viper has never been a mass-production car, and I don't think it ever will be. The reason the Vette does what it does and carries the price it does is simply because of volume...when you have an engine that is shared with your truck line-up, it makes things a bit more palatable. Aside from a few Rams in the past, the Viper V-10 is unique to that car. Low numbers drive development costs up, and SRT said from the get-go that the Viper was going to sell for a profit this time around, hence the price.
Old 11-15-2013, 05:49 PM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by DoggyB22
Chrysler failed again with the Viper... I thought they were going to get it right this time but pricing & all that just kills it. They need to get their heads out of their asses & understand that Vette is kicking its *** in everything. $100k+ for a base model is just to much for what it is. You put the Viper in a price range like the base C7 then you got a lot of sales. Then have a second mid-range model like the Z06 in the $80-90k range & the higher model in the $100k+. Been saying this for years & is why the Viper died before & will die again
That isn't the Viper. The Viper has always been significantly more than the Corvette. We just might have passed the generation that wants what this particular car offers; even though it will still bite you if you let it, it's "softer" than the old Viper. That alienates it from some of the old Viper owners. In turn, it's also significantly "harder" than the ZR1. But they are EXTREMELY close in performance, in every way.

Quick Reply: New Viper Sales Stagnant