Old 10-03-2013, 02:30 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default New Viper Sales Stagnant

Chrysler cuts Viper output amid slow sales, growing inventory

Larry P. Vellequette Twitter
Automotive News
October 2, 2013 - 4:00 am ET

Chrysler Group has cut output of the Viper by a third and will reassign scores of workers to other plants because of slow sales, growing inventories, and the onset of colder weather.

Workers at Chrysler's Conner Avenue Assembly plant in Detroit, where the car is assembled, were told of the production moves today. None will be laid off; instead they will be reassigned to other Chrysler plants in the Detroit area, a Chrysler spokeswoman said. The exact number of employees who will be reassigned is not yet known.

Chrysler had been building an average of nine Vipers per day. Under a revised production schedule, it will build six per day.

Ralph Gilles, head of the SRT brand, said that the Viper's delivery to Chrysler's 443 SRT-certified dealers was delayed earlier this year by difficulties in achieving internal quality standards set for the exotic sports coupe.

"We got off to a late start. We had hoped to begin shipping vehicles late last year, but we shipped the first 67 units in April," Gilles said. Chrysler lifted its self-imposed quality holds over the summer and shipped over 200 held Vipers to its SRT dealers in July and August.

"We typically do very well with the Viper in early spring," Gilles said.

The reengineered 2013 Viper was first shown in April 2012 at the New York auto show, but it wasn't available to dealers and customers until early this year.

The two-seat sports coupe is equipped with the automaker's most powerful engine, a naturally aspirated V-10 that produces 640 hp and 600 pounds-feet of torque.

Pricing for the 2014 model starts at $104,480, including destination, and each car comes with a "track day" of professional driving instruction included.

Gilles had originally said Viper production would be limited to 2,000 vehicles per year, but he said today that number proved optimistic.

"We're really looking at the reality of this type of car in this economy, as well as us controlling the market and making sure that we don't overbuild," Gilles said. The company built 805 Vipers during the 2013 model year, and has switched over to producing 2014 models now.

Gilles said that interest in the Viper remains strong, and that Chrysler received 2,000 dealer and customer orders for Vipers during 2013, including those for 2014 models.

Dealers were asked to pay a $25,000 fee and undergo special training in order to sell the Viper to retail customers.

In eight months on the market -- Viper's first sale was recorded in February -- Chrysler dealers have only sold 426 Vipers in the United States, and dealers have another 565 unsold units in stock -- a 289-day supply.Outside of the United States, the Viper is sold only in a handful of countries in the Middle East.

Even though the 2013 Viper now is now equipped with electronic stability control, which is required under federal safety law, the powerful rear-wheel-drive sports car is a slow seller in the winter months and its tires are not made for cold-weather driving.

Gilles said that most remaining unsold inventory is located in dealerships in warmer climates.

To boost consumer demand, Gilles said SRT would begin visiting Viper dealers in the Southeast in November to allow consumers to test-drive factory-owned Vipers. Some dealers have been reluctant to entrust the powerful and expensive sports cars -- which can retail at up to $160,000 -- to consumers with unknown driving skills. The program will spread north next spring with the return of warmer weather.

"We really have to focus on putting butts in seats," Gilles said. "A lot of people are unnecessarily intimidated by the car."

Vipers are hand-built at the Conner Avenue factory.

The plant was idled in July 2010 when the previous version of the sports car, which was then marketed under the Dodge brand, went out of production. It was reopened in December 2011 ahead of the production launch of the 2013 SRT Viper in December 2012.

Before today's changes were made, the plant had 171 employees, including 145 hourly and 26 salaried workers.

http://www.autonews.com/article/2013...#ixzz2ggeBXhsN
Old 10-03-2013, 09:10 PM
***Repost Police***

That is very unfortunate, I was looking forward to this car getting the recognition and sales that it deserves.
Old 10-04-2013, 04:55 AM
Staging Lane

Now Chrysler, you could start exporting it instead of reducing production.
Old 10-04-2013, 07:53 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Some of this is due to dealer markups, but I'd say the rest is due to the poor economy right now. I'm not sure the Viper will survive at this point.
Old 10-04-2013, 08:51 AM
Staging Lane

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
I'm not sure the Viper will survive at this point.
This makes me sad
Old 10-04-2013, 11:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

The market for this type of car is slim, and then they raise the price of it by about $20K. Combine that with the shitty economy, and yeah, sales are going to struggle. I figured they would be strong initially, with the pent up demand of the enthusiasts, but once they bought theirs, sales would suffer greatly. I don't think offering test drives is the answer either.

I love everything about the Viper, but short of winning the lottery (which I don't play), I just don't see me ever spending $100K on a car.
Old 10-04-2013, 03:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A shame. That is one fine looking car.
Old 10-04-2013, 04:17 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This isn't really a shocker. Although it's an amazing, drool-worthy, and pants-tightening car, the viper is in a niche market (obviously) and in a small window of the niche market to boot. ($100k+, American, 2 door sports car). Many people capable and wanting to spend $100k+ on a sports car will often not look to Dodge as an option (usually European cars come to mind). The only other car in this window is (was?) the C6 ZR1 Corvette, as well as some of the highly optioned C6 Z06 cars.

Other cars like Corvettes can get away with offering $100,000+ models because they also offer $50,000 models to get a majority of sales and to cover a lot of R&D costs, production equipment, and all the other overhead involved in making a car. Even European and Asian companies do this with many of their sports cars. Since Chrysler doesn't do this with the viper, of course it's going to be hit hard during economic downturn because it's in such an incredibly small version of the luxury market to begin with. Even in times of thriving economy, very few people spend $100k+ on toys.
Old 10-05-2013, 04:13 PM
TECH Regular

Dealerships insane markup are killing this whole segment of cars. Those who can afford it can afford something better and I doubt even those that can afford it like to feel scammed or ripped off.

http://forums.viperclub.org/threads/...med-20k-markup

I just contacted my local dealership to confirm they were an authorized SRT dealership. I was told yes, they have an allocation of 2 and I could put down a deposit to reserve one of them. The he said, "Hope it won't be a problem but due to high demand they will be selling at 20k over sticker". I had high hopes of purchasing a new Viper but the dealer markup ensures that won't happen any time soon.
Old 10-06-2013, 02:27 PM
Launching!

They look slick but they want 140,000 for one here
Old 10-06-2013, 06:39 PM
TECH Resident

I've only read Motortrend's review on them so far. It talked about how a hood vent flew off on the freeway, some seat bolts were loose, the exhaust was burning the paint, and it had different tires in the front and rear...Not something I would be spending that kind of money on! It is really too bad as I think it's an amazing looking car inside and out, but the performance is a little under where it should be and the quality (after reading that) seems to be WAY lower than it should be.
Old 10-06-2013, 07:25 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Originally Posted by gocartone
I've only read Motortrend's review on them so far. It talked about how a hood vent flew off on the freeway, some seat bolts were loose, the exhaust was burning the paint, and it had different tires in the front and rear...Not something I would be spending that kind of money on! It is really too bad as I think it's an amazing looking car inside and out, but the performance is a little under where it should be and the quality (after reading that) seems to be WAY lower than it should be.
Motor Trend got a beat to hell tester...that is far from the norm when it comes to other people's experiences. There have been a few issues here and there, but for the most part, they are solidly made cars.

NineBall has about 6,000 miles on his already, and aside from a few minor issues with UConnect, his (or should I say his wife's) has been just fine.
Old 10-06-2013, 07:38 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 202 Likes on 122 Posts

that viper looks like **** IMO older models look better.
Old 10-06-2013, 09:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

I dunno what youre smoking but the new ones are the very definition of automotive sex
Old 10-06-2013, 10:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Tainted
I dunno what youre smoking but the new ones are the very definition of automotive sex
Not a Dodge guy, but x2.
Old 10-06-2013, 11:38 PM
***Repost Police***

x3
Old 10-08-2013, 01:18 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by madmike9396
that viper looks like **** IMO older models look better.
Not a Dodge guy either but it's much better looking inside and out than the C7.
Old 10-08-2013, 03:30 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by TriShield
Not a Dodge guy either but it's much better looking inside and out than the C7.
Definitely agree with that. The C7 has way too much going on from behind.
Old 10-08-2013, 07:21 PM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by big reg
Definitely agree with that. The C7 has way too much going on from behind.
This makes it all better

But I do think the Viper is the belle of the ball at this school.
Old 10-09-2013, 12:13 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
This makes it all better But I do think the Viper is the belle of the ball at this school.
C7 is a love hate car. The C6 did it for me. Not really feeling the C7. That rear doesn't fix it. It's just not a sexy car, period.

Quick Reply: New Viper Sales Stagnant