Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Just saw dyno run for 05 Mustang GT

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2005, 01:00 AM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

good lord, the stupidity is rampant in this thread, save a few.

must...contain...myself.....from............lockin g..
Old 08-15-2005, 01:06 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

These times have to be a joke right? You mean my ten year old LT1 with some bolt ons could run with if not beat a brand new 05 GT? And everyone around here thinks those cars are the greatest things on the road. I expected Ford to at least be able to run with the LS1's now.
Old 08-15-2005, 07:25 AM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Cerwin Vega Fan
I expected Ford to at least be able to run with the LS1's now.
Ford can and does run with LS1's...destroys them too. There is no direct competition for the Mustang GT, so Ford doesn't need to make it a 400hp car. Make sense? Sales dictate what Ford does. Supply can't meet demand already.

94greencamaro - $$$ is obviously tight for you...maybe you should find a new hobby.
Old 08-15-2005, 10:24 AM
TECH Resident

Yeah, it's not like Ford's only sports car is the Mustang GT. In recent years Ford offers/has offered a nice variety for their customers to choose from depending on exactly how fast they want to go.

V6 Mustang - for girls or people who don't really care about going fast.
05 Mustang GT - close to an LS1
03-04 Mach 1 - Even with an LS1
03-04 Cobra - LS1 killer
Ford GT - exotic killer

Not to mention the tuner stangs from Saleen & Roush etc...
Old 08-15-2005, 11:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i dont understand we i see a apples to oranges comparson here. there CURRENTLY isn't a direct competitor for the 05 mustang. comparing the 05 stang to a 02 f-body is like comparing a 71 firebird to a 74 stang. and we know that the mid to late 70s were when the best stangs were made.(hell even die hard mustang lovers wont talk about the mustang II's)
Old 08-15-2005, 12:49 PM
TECH Regular

Yeah, actually money is tight for me. Im ****** 17 years old. The reason why i dont have a ton of cash to spend is because im saving up for a 383 rebuild or maybe even a turbo setup this winter after the track closes. My car with a few bolt-ons could still beat a brand new $30000 car though. If you ask me thats a joke.

Last edited by 94greencamaro; 08-15-2005 at 01:09 PM.
Old 08-15-2005, 01:18 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by KB99WS6
Yeah, it's not like Ford's only sports car is the Mustang GT. In recent years Ford offers/has offered a nice variety for their customers to choose from depending on exactly how fast they want to go.

V6 Mustang - for girls or people who don't really care about going fast.
05 Mustang GT - close to an LS1
03-04 Mach 1 - Even with an LS1
03-04 Cobra - LS1 killer
Ford GT - exotic killer
V6 Mustang- V6 blows unless were talking about supras
05 Mustang GT- Has a tenth or two on a LT1, but about half a second away from the LS1
03-04 Mach 1- About Even with an LT1, slower than the 05 Mustang GT
03-04 Cobra- A good setup car. Fast car that can beat an LS1, but a bit spendy.
Ford GT- A $140,000 car that is runs mid to high 11s stock. The 06 Corvette Z06 should do those times for less than half that price.
Old 08-15-2005, 02:08 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 94greencamaro
Supras actually have inline 6 motors.
Old 08-15-2005, 04:07 PM
TECH Resident

05 Mustang GT- Has a tenth or two on a LT1, but about half a second away from the LS1
03-04 Mach 1- About Even with an LT1, slower than the 05 Mustang GT
03-04 Cobra- A good setup car. Fast car that can beat an LS1, but a bit spendy.
Ford GT- A $140,000 car that is runs mid to high 11s stock. The 06 Corvette Z06 should do those times for less than half that price.
The V6 is just an option for buyers. Not everyone wants or needs a V8. Is Ford bad for giving people options? Your info on the 03-04 Mach's is way off. They are neck and neck with LS1's. try doing some research. The Ford GT is a bit costly but it's in the exotic category and is faster and cheaper than most of them. The Z06 is and has always been a tough comparison for any high dollar sports cars. Bottom line is Ford offers some nice options for many people.
Old 08-15-2005, 04:27 PM
TECH Regular

My bad on the supras, i wasnt even thinking
Pretty stupid thing to say knowing my friend used to have a supra and showed it to me often. I guess i was just thinking what good 6 cylinders are out there. As far as Mach 1 goes i read in either car and driver or motor trend that it runs high 13s, like 13.9, but i guess that was probably just a bad test. I have only seen one Mach 1 run and it was slightly modded running in the mid 13s, which is about high 12s at a lower elevation
Old 08-15-2005, 06:47 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My bad on the supras, i wasnt even thinking
Pretty stupid thing to say knowing my friend used to have a supra and showed it to me often. I guess i was just thinking what good 6 cylinders are out there. As far as Mach 1 goes i read in either car and driver or motor trend that it runs high 13s, like 13.9, but i guess that was probably just a bad test. I have only seen one Mach 1 run and it was slightly modded running in the mid 13s, which is about high 12s at a lower elevation
well then i guess the ls1 sucks because C&D or MT got 13.8 - 13.9 out of an SS. and 14's out of an LT1.

your grasping at staws and your arguements have no merit. the 05 gt is a great step in fords direction to finally update the foxbody platform. you dont like it then so be it, but come out with facts rather then i anectdotal evidence and bullshit.

what i find funny is your taking all this **** with a car that runs 14's and traps @ less then 100mph .

and FWIW not everybody lives or dies by E.T's. if money was permitting i'd drop my fbody for a sonic blue or mineral grey 05 gt in a hearbeat. its great little club racer, comes with a nice chasssis, good suspension, stout little rear end. power deficiences can easily be remedied with a good ol' tried and true S-trim.
Old 08-15-2005, 08:33 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I dunno.. I like the look of the new 05 personally. The interior is o.k... not 100% what I'd want, but livable. The power they make isn't killer, but not a nightmare either.... slap a single turbo on there, build the rear and toss in a converter and it would be a mean street car with good rmanners.... if my ws6 were to get stolen, totalled, whatever.. the 05 GT is the only car I'd even consider replacing it with if I had to buy off a showroom, the vette has just never really appealed to me, and dodge doesn'e make one single performance orientated car except the 85K viper... little out of my range sorry to say.
Old 08-16-2005, 12:42 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

A friend's '05 on 20" GFG's. Is it fast? Nope, but it looks sweet IMO.
It's got a cowl hood and aftermarket spoiler too...along with a nitrous kit.
It's getting a fully built motor and a 300shot or so. Of course slicks and skinnies
will be the shoe of choice at the track.

Anyone who hates a car like this just isn't American.

Old 08-16-2005, 04:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by unit213
Anyone who hates a car like this just isn't American.
your 100% correct. its supposed to be us against the imports
Old 08-16-2005, 04:26 PM
TECH Resident

You guys are kidding right? We're talking HPTV here...it's a joke. It doesn't mirror real world mods or numbers. You remember the "build" they did on that LS1?
What else needs to be said?

B
Old 08-16-2005, 06:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ford can and does run with LS1's...destroys them too. There is no direct competition for the Mustang GT, so Ford doesn't need to make it a 400hp car. Make sense? Sales dictate what Ford does. Supply can't meet demand already.

94greencamaro - $$$ is obviously tight for you...maybe you should find a new hobby.
I wouldnt say it destroys them. It goes off sales thats the final deal here. We are in a pissing contest here. Bottom line is that it has not gotten much faster.

Mod potential is there for all. The car looks great and im glad ford is still making it. It also gives GM a reason to come back with another beast that sells better and somehow appeals to more women like the mustang.
Old 08-16-2005, 07:19 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by jrp
well then i guess the ls1 sucks because C&D or MT got 13.8 - 13.9 out of an SS. and 14's out of an LT1.

your grasping at staws and your arguements have no merit. the 05 gt is a great step in fords direction to finally update the foxbody platform. you dont like it then so be it, but come out with facts rather then i anectdotal evidence and bullshit.

what i find funny is your taking all this **** with a car that runs 14's and traps @ less then 100mph .

and FWIW not everybody lives or dies by E.T's. if money was permitting i'd drop my fbody for a sonic blue or mineral grey 05 gt in a hearbeat. its great little club racer, comes with a nice chasssis, good suspension, stout little rear end. power deficiences can easily be remedied with a good ol' tried and true S-trim.
I like the Mustang dont get me wrong, but I am a Camaro guy all the way. I just wanted to share some interesting articles I read;

GMHTP bought a brand new (at the time, and bone stock) 2002 Camaro SS convertible (November 2002 Volume 8 number 6). They also got a reader, (not a pro driver) To run it down the track. It was also an auto and ran 13.579/101.91. They also had an article in a previous magazine where a pro driver took a bone stock 99 Z-28 6spd and ran a 12.89 (GMHTP 7/99).

Now, lets take Ford best of the best Mustang. The famed 03 Mustang Cobra, with a 6spd. Hot rod January 2004 flogged it against the Subaru Wrx sti, the Cobra ran 13.30/109 to the WRXs' 13.29/100.5. Some will immediatly point out the higher mph, but winning is winning. Yes these were pro drivers too. I will race anyone, its fun, win or loose. But the only Mustang that is stock, I have an honest desire to seek out to race is a Stage 2 or higher Salleen.
Old 08-16-2005, 07:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

hahaha this thread is great, why don't i throw some gas on the fire and see where it gets us: how bout:
Trans Ams and Firebirds are the same car,
Firebird > Camaro
Camaro > Trans am
SS hoods are functional
AWD > RWD
RWD > FWD
Theres no replacement for displacement
Imports are great becuz there 4 cylinders can beat our 8 cylinders
Fbodys are only good going straight
Imports > domestics
domestics > imports
Mustags < Fbodys
Ford sucks
Chevy sucks
Pontiac sucks
ls1's suck
lt1's suck
4.6l suck
Cobra's are cheaters cuz they need boost to go fast
Ls1 > lt1
ltl > 4.6
mach I > ls1
someone brought up "good 6 cylinder powered cars" and the Skyline wasn't mentioned??
Skyline > *
* > u
MY BURN SUITE IS ON FIRE AWAY!
these are not my opinions just figured i'd throw all that in there to give more ideas for people to fight about in this thread...
Old 08-16-2005, 07:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

i dont know why people are expecting to win a mustang vs. fbody argument on an fbody site
Old 08-16-2005, 08:19 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 98_Formula
hahaha this thread is great, why don't i throw some gas on the fire and see where it gets us: how bout:
Trans Ams and Firebirds are the same car,
Firebird > Camaro
Camaro > Trans am
SS hoods are functional
AWD > RWD
RWD > FWD
Theres no replacement for displacement
Imports are great becuz there 4 cylinders can beat our 8 cylinders
Fbodys are only good going straight
Imports > domestics
domestics > imports
Mustags < Fbodys
Ford sucks
Chevy sucks
Pontiac sucks
ls1's suck
lt1's suck
4.6l suck
Cobra's are cheaters cuz they need boost to go fast
Ls1 > lt1
ltl > 4.6
mach I > ls1
someone brought up "good 6 cylinder powered cars" and the Skyline wasn't mentioned??
Skyline > *
* > u
MY BURN SUITE IS ON FIRE AWAY!
these are not my opinions just figured i'd throw all that in there to give more ideas for people to fight about in this thread...
Well if youre looking for an argument, I realize you wrote most of that to be a smart a$$. I just wanted to point out, around here (Fort Hood Tx area) Mach I's are barley faster than GT's, and LS1's stomp them. Just thought I would add a little high test to your fire.

Quick Reply: Just saw dyno run for 05 Mustang GT