Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

retro cars

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2005, 07:36 PM
Flossin' twin turbos

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default retro cars

i've been thinking, ford did a good job making the stang retro looking. too bad i can't say the same about gm with the gto even though i perfer a gm to a ford. now i'm a mopar guy and charger simply doesn't do it for me either. but over all i think i would get a stang over the hemi dodge or the 6.0 gto. i just hope if gm brings out the camaro or chevelle again it doesn't mess it up with BS styling and drivetrain. i also heard about the challenger/cuda coming back out in a couple of years, thats something i'm really looking forward too. i attached a concept pic of the challenger/cuda and it looks good but i'm sure it won't look anything like this. so i'm just wondering which of the three cars (gto,charger,stang)do all of you like?which would you like to see come back. whats more important to you styling or powerplant?
Old 09-16-2005, 08:52 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that challenger looks awesome. I only hope the Camaro looks half that good!
Old 09-16-2005, 10:11 PM
HPP
TECH Enthusiast

People hate retro here for some reason, but I like it. Actually, I'd like to see the actual original shapes come back, all decked out with modern gear inside and out (and wheel wells set up to accomodate larger rubber).

There's little as bad *** as an old car done up like that. They were simply some of the best styles ever made, and having all the modern conveniences on top of that is nirvanna.

Sadly, since they won't do that, and since new designs continue to get more bland and ugly except for the odd exception here and there (way too hit or miss), that leaves only retro.

The "charger" isn't a Charger. Nor is it retro. The GTO isn't retro either. The Mustang does indeed look good. However I find it funny that some have complained about it because it's retro, yet the previous generation was retro too, just to a lesser extent, but it was the same relative amount of retro influence compared to the style that preceeded it. (I even remember Ford making a big deal about how (the previous Mustang) drew influences from the good Mustangs (which ended at the Mustang II))

Hope they make the Challenger as cool as that conceptual drawing. Especially with Putz still high up in the GM food chain leaving me no real GM option anymore.
Old 09-16-2005, 11:25 PM
12 Second Club

I like retro cars and I just hope GM does the same with there Camaro concept, Which I think they will. If they want to sell any of these cars.
Old 09-17-2005, 09:57 AM
Flossin' twin turbos

the pic is more the cuda than the challenger but you know they Fup everything. the 02 mustangs remind me of the of the 71 and up mustangs that were kinda ugly. sure enough the gto has nothing going for it besides the motor. it's more like a grand prix than a goat. they should redisign it in a couple of years.
Old 09-17-2005, 01:46 PM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Retro is cool, and I'm pleased to see it happening. The problem though is what do they do next? Does the new Mustang go to the styling of the '70's or go back to new again? It's kind of like the PT Cruiser and the New Beetle....the designs are getting "tired" already so what happens to them next?

I was glad to see the GTO not resemble anything from it's past. I'm not a fan of the styling of the original goats, so it's cool to see something different. Most knock the styling of the new goats, but I see a blank canvas allowing the owner more freedom to customize.
Old 09-17-2005, 03:29 PM
HPP
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by y2k_ta
Retro is cool, and I'm pleased to see it happening. The problem though is what do they do next? Does the new Mustang go to the styling of the '70's or go back to new again? It's kind of like the PT Cruiser and the New Beetle....the designs are getting "tired" already so what happens to them next?
Retro isn't an all or none deal. Sure, they could jump to teh 70s next (the early 70s had some cool cars) or they could do a complete redesign, but..., now they have the chance to take the evolution in a different direction with a similar starting point. Especially since it's not 100% original, there's other aspects there to work with.

It's like a chance to start over and not make the Mustang II mistake again.
Old 09-17-2005, 05:36 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,099 Likes on 721 Posts

That Cude rendering is hottt. I love it.

Folks should not fear any sort of styling influence. Stuff from the 30's thru the 60's took styling cues from aircraft and all sorts of things.

GM's problem with ponycars is that they don't spend enough time trying to blow away folks on the styling, they shoot for a low bar on that.
Old 09-17-2005, 06:48 PM
TECH Resident

As far as retro, the thing that is great about old cars is they had character. Like PSJ said, they (American car companies, in particular) took inspiration from other worlds and applied it to automotive design. It is the lack of inspiration from all manufacturer's in today's vehicles that makes people (including myself) desire retro designs.

Chrysler has recently impressed me by their willingness to making various styles of prototypes and seek market reactions. They have also had success with some of these designs as production vehicles, though they still haven't gone far enough.

While none of the foreign manufacturer's have the market share of any of the Big 3, they'd have a hard time selling a single car if the Big 3 would put character back in their designs.

Even if the future isn't in looking at past designs, I hope the Big 3 will at least start designing with the same approach they used to use.
Old 09-17-2005, 09:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 2002BlackSS
As far as retro, the thing that is great about old cars is they had character. Like PSJ said, they (American car companies, in particular) took inspiration from other worlds and applied it to automotive design. It is the lack of inspiration from all manufacturer's in today's vehicles that makes people (including myself) desire retro designs.

Chrysler has recently impressed me by their willingness to making various styles of prototypes and seek market reactions. They have also had success with some of these designs as production vehicles, though they still haven't gone far enough.

While none of the foreign manufacturer's have the market share of any of the Big 3, they'd have a hard time selling a single car if the Big 3 would put character back in their designs.

Even if the future isn't in looking at past designs, I hope the Big 3 will at least start designing with the same approach they used to use.
That is my viewpoint, exactly!!

Too many of today's cars are streamlined bubble-mobiles. A car's stying gives it character. While performance is also important, character (or lack there-of) is what makes or breaks a car's sales in the end.

Bring back the character!!!
Old 09-18-2005, 03:39 AM
TECH Junkie

The Mustang's fuel economy and topend suffer from the retro look. There is a reason body designs change, new technology and new knowledge leads to better designs that save fuel and make for better performers.
Old 09-18-2005, 05:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

My father has one of the new Mustangs, gets 28 miles a gallon on a trip with the five speed. I don't think fuel savings is THAT much of a consideration for most people buying modern day muscle cars, anyway.

And what good is topend? You don't use it in everyday driving, and most cars don't reach top speed in a 1/4 mile drag race, either. Character of the car is more important than top speed or gas mileage. These new bubble cars aren't even getting THAT much better performance or mileage, anyway.
Old 09-18-2005, 09:02 AM
Flossin' twin turbos

Originally Posted by 89FormulaLS2
My father has one of the new Mustangs, gets 28 miles a gallon on a trip with the five speed. I don't think fuel savings is THAT much of a consideration for most people buying modern day muscle cars, anyway.

And what good is topend? You don't use it in everyday driving, and most cars don't reach top speed in a 1/4 mile drag race, either. Character of the car is more important than top speed or gas mileage. These new bubble cars aren't even getting THAT much better performance or mileage, anyway.
i couldn't agree more

Quick Reply: retro cars