Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

MOTOR TREND: Viper outhandles the new Z06!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2005, 04:50 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by blind527
Vipers look so much better than Corvettes, especially the new 2006 ones.
In my opinion your quote should read
"Vipers look like they copied the c5 Corvette ,especially the 2006"
Old 11-12-2005, 07:44 AM
Teching In

Just received the December Road and Track. They test the Viper and Z06 at Willow Springs. The Z06 was quicker by 1.3 sec. per lap. The Viper was better in the slower turns while the Vette could carry more speed in the faster turns as I read it. Maybe a sports car this fast should require a talented driver to go 10/10 at triple digit speeds around curves on the street or track. Maybe that edginess will keep average mortals from getting in over their heads.
Old 11-12-2005, 10:41 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by transAm-98
... a lot of other cars get slower times but drivers claim they feel more comfortable behind the wheel when pushed to the limit. from the majority of the articles i've read, they usually tend to say that there is more on the table for the vette but it feels like it's on the verge of loosing it in hard corners.
I have to stongly agree with this. The vette is capable of a lot more than most realize, it just doesn't transmit good comunication back to the driver. The unsettled feeling does nothing to install confidence, regardless of the skill level of the driver.
Old 11-12-2005, 11:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Didnt anyone watch the test drive with jeff gordon on speed channel, they claimed they were pulling over 1.1-1.2gs in the curves.
Old 11-12-2005, 12:28 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Wet 1
I really doubt it is the drivers not having *****.

While I can't comment on the C6 Z06, I have pushed my C5 Z06 very hard and to the limits on the street and track. I've heard that the new C6 is better in just about every regard, but it shares the C5 Zo6's uneasy feeling in the corners and over bumps. As an instructor with the PCA and a racer in SCCA & PCA, I have to agree with these comments about the C5 Z06. Being use to race cars and the rock solid handling of track going Porsches, I've always total felt the same feelings these mag. writers feel, but about the C5 Z06. From fellow racers that have driven the new C6 Z06, they've also said the same nervous unsettled feeling remains in the new Z06 just as it did in the C5 Z06 and I've heard it's worse if anything than the C5... although faster around the track.

I LOVE my C5 Z06, but compared to some of the better handling cars if owned and driven it doesn't hold a candle in the way it "feels". When I first bought my Z06 I though there was something wrong with it. I checked everthing looking for the cause, finally I drove two others and realized they all feel this way. This isn't to say the car doesn't handle or stick well (I'm splitting hairs here)... it very much does, it just doesn't have a good settled and stable 'feel' to it... almost like something in the suspension is sloppy or loose. The funny thing is I've never be able to put my finger on WHY it feels this way given the tight suspension and very rigid platform??? I had hoped they fixed this in the C6 Z06, I guess not. I'm sure switching to an aluminum frame doesn't help!

I've come to live with it and love my Z06, but I'm sticking to the Porsche when it's time to go play in the twisties!

I've had this conversation with many people, and no one understood what I was talking about. I love my Z06 and it's handles great, but when you push it hard it gets sloppy. It still sticks and feels great for the most part but you don't even have to be pushing the limit to find it. But there is a serious loose feeling that isn't confedince inspiring. You can get the car settled nicely into a hard corner, and then the slightest bump in the road just seems to "unsettle" the suspention enough to make you question if the car is going to hang in there, the other time I've noticed it is on a very fast lane change under hard acceleration if the road isn't perfectly smooth the rear end feels very sloppy..... Once you get used to the feeling it's not quite as unsettling but the first few times I thought something was wrong too. I had my car to the dealership twice to check out the suspension, and they told me both times that everything looked great.... Glad I'm not crazy, because sevral other Z06 owners have told me I'm wrong, that their car feels great when pushed hard and there must be something wrong with my car
Old 11-12-2005, 01:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Check the ALMS results.
Old 11-12-2005, 01:36 PM
Naked AV

Is anyone else aware of threads on other boards discussing this issue? If so, can you post links? I have a friend who is considering a Z06 and interested in this topic.
Old 11-12-2005, 01:57 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Big Jimbo
Im f****ing furious. They must have gotten paid off. I just read the comparison between the new viper coupe and the C6 Z06. The Z06 plain out whooped the new viper as far as 0-60--- 3.4 sec
quarter mile---11.8 @ 121 i think. They said the Z06 pulled like a monster, even more than the big bad 8.3 liter V10 Viper.

I just dont see how it is possible for the viper to handle better than the new Z06 let alone a reg. corvette. They also said the z06 seem to feel every little bump in the road and while going around the corners, if you hit a bump or blemish in the road you would almost always spin out.

maybe i didnt read right but im sure thats what they said. The Z06 got the viper in every single category except lowest sound at top rev-rpm's (you know thats because of those butterfly exhuast valves )

Has anyone read this in MOTORTREND. The z06 was built around road racing. 300+lb's lighter than the viper. WTF, these guys cant drive a real car, i think they are underestimating thise car from getting out of the viper and into the vette.
The trap speed for the Z06 was 125, and the viper didn't outhanble the Z06, the Z06 had a 1.5 second faster lap time, Motor Trend only said that the Viper "felt" better. They also stated that some of the GM Pros turned lap times that were 2.5 seconds faster than they turned.
Old 11-12-2005, 02:06 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Nautilus

I've had this conversation with many people, and no one understood what I was talking about. I love my Z06 and it's handles great, but when you push it hard it gets sloppy. It still sticks and feels great for the most part but you don't even have to be pushing the limit to find it. But there is a serious loose feeling that isn't confedince inspiring. You can get the car settled nicely into a hard corner, and then the slightest bump in the road just seems to "unsettle" the suspention enough to make you question if the car is going to hang in there, the other time I've noticed it is on a very fast lane change under hard acceleration if the road isn't perfectly smooth the rear end feels very sloppy..... Once you get used to the feeling it's not quite as unsettling but the first few times I thought something was wrong too. I had my car to the dealership twice to check out the suspension, and they told me both times that everything looked great.... Glad I'm not crazy, because sevral other Z06 owners have told me I'm wrong, that their car feels great when pushed hard and there must be something wrong with my car
I changed lanes on the highway last night at about 140ish, top of 4th and hit a bump and it did this, kinda freaky but it settled down in a split second. Felt like I was airborne though
Old 11-12-2005, 02:12 PM
TECH Resident

On a top gear episode they tested the viper against the 05 vette and they basicly trashed the viper and said the vette was better.
Old 11-12-2005, 03:24 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Hot02SS
On a top gear episode they tested the viper against the 05 vette and they basicly trashed the viper and said the vette was better.
Europeans don't seem to be too fond of the Viper, for whatever reason that may be.

Could the leaf springs on the Vette be causing much of this uneasiness feeling at the limit?
Old 11-12-2005, 03:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Four 1-2 victories in the last 5 years in the lemanns series. nuff said. The vette is into a golden era. dont expect to sit here and talk about porsches handling better for over $50K more. I think chevy knows what its doing. since when are performance and value in the same sentence when talking about a super car.
Old 11-12-2005, 09:51 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When a cars power to weight gets like the z06 one must learn to roll on the throttle smoothly. I suspect if you put the tires(not runflats) from the viper on the vette you would notice quite an improvement...the runflats have super stiff sidewalls and do not help the supension with bumbs. also the high low end torque of the viper encourages lower rpm less explosive corner exits. The closer the vette becomes to a race car the more people will complain about the "quirkiness" of the car. I have my 02 z06 set up with poly bushings all around and the T-1 sway bars, lowered 3/4 inch and camber optimized front and rear. The car corners unbelievably. But you know what? It ain't forgiving like it was when stock...especially with smooth hoosiers. These cars are made for drivers who can feel what the chassis is doing through their seat. If you do not want the bitch to snap sideways when you snap the wheel get a CTS V with squishy bushings. I love mine...but I think a 4 wheel drift at 80 on a road course is a lot of fun. My nickel.
Old 11-12-2005, 10:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

what makes you think the viper is a joke? because it isnt a GM?

its ******* $80k+. Its going to handle. Its all about the suspension geometry, chassis and most importantly tires.

I dont know about what does or doesn't handle better- but its not exactly shocking or impossible. Its a viper. Not exactly a cost down turd.

Last edited by treyZ28; 11-12-2005 at 11:24 PM.
Old 11-12-2005, 10:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JAvenger007
Four 1-2 victories in the last 5 years in the lemanns series. nuff said. The vette is into a golden era. dont expect to sit here and talk about porsches handling better for over $50K more. I think chevy knows what its doing. since when are performance and value in the same sentence when talking about a super car.

uhh... yeah. the CxR is a tube chassis GT3 car. Wait no; its a massively overfunded factory backed tube chassis GT3 car with a MASSIVE tire advantage from those lousy french.

Concidering the pricerange of their competition- its like showing up to the street races in a pro stock car. Saleen, for example, has 1/5 their budget.
Old 11-12-2005, 10:46 PM
12 Second Club

Are you talking about the Motor Trend Dec.05? Compared the Ford GT, C6 Z06, & Viper. The Z06 compared very favorably especially considering the price of the other 2 cars.

Dyno Results RWHP Torque

Z06 453 / 411
Viper 447 / 431
GT 535 (ringer?)/ 460

1/4 times
Z06 11.6@126,6
Viper 12.0@121.9
GT 11.5@128.7

1.6 mile road course
Z06 75.4 sec.
Viper 76.7 sec.
GT 79.6 sec.

Best of all...Price as tested

Z06 $68,700
Viper $87,695
GT $166,195

They can talk about seat of the pants feel all they want but the results tell me more. I would rather have a Z06 than either of the others, seat of the pants feel be damned.

Jon

Last edited by ExceSSive; 11-12-2005 at 10:57 PM.
Old 11-13-2005, 09:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by mr2guru
With the amazing time the Z06 (7:42) pulled on the nurburgring, I can't see how it doesn't out handle the Viper (older GTS 8:43).

I remember reading something about that too! Said it was faster than every other production car except for the Carrera GT!!
Old 11-13-2005, 09:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

there are definately several production cars that are faster than it aside from the carrera. Enzo flies into mind.
Old 11-13-2005, 10:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by treyZ28
there are definately several production cars that are faster than it aside from the carrera. Enzo flies into mind.

Carrera GT=$500K....Enzo=$one million...THE Z06 ($65800) does comparable performance numbers..for a fraction of the price of those cars..FYI the C6R and the C5R before it...race in the GT1 class...it is not a tube chassis car..its frame rails are the same as the production Corvette coup..you need to brush up on your info on the AlMS race series...have you ever been to a ALMS race..check out the equipment in the pits..there are no poor boys down there...dollar for dollar the Z06 has been and still is the most high performance sports car on the planet...the Corvette has been kickin the crap out of the Euro cars for the last 5 years (four 1-2 finishes and one 2-3 at 24 hours of LeMans in the last 5 years) and it is not even close..they have domminated the ALMS series since they got into the series..swept the series last year and won 9 out of 10 this year...won the series championship for the last 5 years..GO USA ... GO CORVETTE RACING!!!..
Old 11-13-2005, 11:25 AM
TECH Regular

It is a great day
When the corvettes can power away from the euro competition.
Beside haveing all the eye candy at the race.
Wish there were more races statside

Quick Reply: MOTOR TREND: Viper outhandles the new Z06!!!