Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

MOTOR TREND: Viper outhandles the new Z06!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2005, 09:42 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MOTOR TREND: Viper outhandles the new Z06!!!

Im f****ing furious. They must have gotten paid off. I just read the comparison between the new viper coupe and the C6 Z06. The Z06 plain out whooped the new viper as far as 0-60--- 3.4 sec
quarter mile---11.8 @ 121 i think. They said the Z06 pulled like a monster, even more than the big bad 8.3 liter V10 Viper.

I just dont see how it is possible for the viper to handle better than the new Z06 let alone a reg. corvette. They also said the z06 seem to feel every little bump in the road and while going around the corners, if you hit a bump or blemish in the road you would almost always spin out.

maybe i didnt read right but im sure thats what they said. The Z06 got the viper in every single category except lowest sound at top rev-rpm's (you know thats because of those butterfly exhuast valves )

Has anyone read this in MOTORTREND. The z06 was built around road racing. 300+lb's lighter than the viper. WTF, these guys cant drive a real car, i think they are underestimating thise car from getting out of the viper and into the vette.
Old 11-11-2005, 05:19 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Big Jimbo
They also said the z06 seem to feel every little bump in the road and while going around the corners, if you hit a bump or blemish in the road you would almost always spin out.
The feedback probably scared them into spinning out.
Old 11-11-2005, 06:21 AM
TECH Junkie

I finished reading the article in this months Car and Driver a few minutes ago. They said the same thing.

Look at it this way, for 30k less than a Viper you have a faster car. For a few bucks in suspension mods, you could have a much better handling car than the Viper and still fall way south of the Viper's sticker.
Old 11-11-2005, 06:48 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

recent test in the UK revealed the Zo6 to be a very nice handling car! not quite in the same league as a Lotus Elise, but still pretty good! know i have never heard anything like that said about the viper!!!!

Chris.

PS. please this was not a shot at the Corvette i was mearly reportng back on how the normal "american cars can't handle" motoring press had take quite a shane to it!
Old 11-11-2005, 10:00 AM
Launching!

Im pretty sure (and hoping) that its because this is the cars FIRST YEAR for the car. I cant believe Chevrolet didnt see this, or just simply ignored it. I just cant believe a car built around handling and weight reduction was beat by the viper.
Old 11-11-2005, 10:10 AM
Board Certified Idiot

i duno i have read a few mags so far on both cars.. Each 1 seems to give a differ story.. on them both same with the 1/4 miles times some say viper others say vette..
Old 11-11-2005, 10:18 AM
12 Second Club

...it can only be proven at the track and on a autox course.
Old 11-11-2005, 10:58 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by scrmnws6
...it can only be proven at the track and on a autox course.
Evidiently it WAS proven but i dont know if these drivers can drive or not. They said the track they raced the cars on was one track that really tests the capabilities of any car.
Old 11-11-2005, 11:03 AM
6 Second Club Moderator

What's a viper? I wouldn't take it too seriously. It's on a raod course pushing it to the limits. You always have to remember, opinions vary!
Old 11-11-2005, 11:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Vipers look so much better than Corvettes, especially the new 2006 ones.
Old 11-11-2005, 01:24 PM
Teching In

While the article said the Vette's handling was not confidence inspiring, in the stats the Vette had a lower time around Gratton and averaged a higher speed than the Viper if I am reading Car and Driver's stat sheet right.
Old 11-11-2005, 01:36 PM
Naked AV

I glanced at the C&D at the newsstand and they said they felt like they were going to lose control any second on the track. Like they could have gone faster (around the course), but were scared to. Don't know if that's a dig on the car, or if it says more about the drivers' unwillingness to tap into the Z06's power. I didn't get the feeling it was because there was anything wrong with the suspension...on the contrary, it just seemed like they felt like the beast was completely untamed.
Old 11-11-2005, 01:37 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by abnam68173
While the article said the Vette's handling was not confidence inspiring, in the stats the Vette had a lower time around Gratton and averaged a higher speed than the Viper if I am reading Car and Driver's stat sheet right.
If that's true, then it sounds to me like the problem with the viper-vs-z06 results could be the driver.
Old 11-11-2005, 02:11 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My experience with runflats, which are new to the Z06, leaves little doubt in my mind that the handling would be much more stable over bumps with real tires. The suspension on the new Z is not very different in terms of settings or components from the 01-04 and that is a very predictable car.
Old 11-11-2005, 03:42 PM
TECH Resident

After understanding what many of you have said already, it sounds to me like they need drivers with some *****. It felt like it could go faster, but I was too scared? Maybe they should have found someone more brave, or capable. Not to imply I am a better driver, but, sounds to me like that person did not present the TRUE potential of that machine.
Old 11-11-2005, 03:49 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by abnam68173
You are correct. They said they didnt want to run it into the dirt since it was so expensive. The car needs some tires and a driver with some *****.
Old 11-11-2005, 07:24 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With the amazing time the Z06 (7:42) pulled on the nurburgring, I can't see how it doesn't out handle the Viper (older GTS 8:43).
Old 11-11-2005, 07:58 PM
TECH Veteran

I read a magazine article once that said the Chevy Chevette with just a STB can outhandle a Z06...........I guess its true.

Magazines
Old 11-11-2005, 08:44 PM
TECH Resident

I really doubt it is the drivers not having *****.

While I can't comment on the C6 Z06, I have pushed my C5 Z06 very hard and to the limits on the street and track. I've heard that the new C6 is better in just about every regard, but it shares the C5 Zo6's uneasy feeling in the corners and over bumps. As an instructor with the PCA and a racer in SCCA & PCA, I have to agree with these comments about the C5 Z06. Being use to race cars and the rock solid handling of track going Porsches, I've always total felt the same feelings these mag. writers feel, but about the C5 Z06. From fellow racers that have driven the new C6 Z06, they've also said the same nervous unsettled feeling remains in the new Z06 just as it did in the C5 Z06 and I've heard it's worse if anything than the C5... although faster around the track.

I LOVE my C5 Z06, but compared to some of the better handling cars if owned and driven it doesn't hold a candle in the way it "feels". When I first bought my Z06 I though there was something wrong with it. I checked everthing looking for the cause, finally I drove two others and realized they all feel this way. This isn't to say the car doesn't handle or stick well (I'm splitting hairs here)... it very much does, it just doesn't have a good settled and stable 'feel' to it... almost like something in the suspension is sloppy or loose. The funny thing is I've never be able to put my finger on WHY it feels this way given the tight suspension and very rigid platform??? I had hoped they fixed this in the C6 Z06, I guess not. I'm sure switching to an aluminum frame doesn't help!

I've come to live with it and love my Z06, but I'm sticking to the Porsche when it's time to go play in the twisties!
Old 11-12-2005, 12:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

magazines have admited for years, that the vette could be pushed a lot harder with some more seat time. a lot of other cars get slower times but drivers claim they feel more comfortable behind the wheel when pushed to the limit. from the majority of the articles i've read, they usually tend to say that there is more on the table for the vette but it feels like it's on the verge of loosing it in hard corners.

Quick Reply: MOTOR TREND: Viper outhandles the new Z06!!!