Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

MOTOR TREND: Viper outhandles the new Z06!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2005, 06:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think arguing over stying does not belong on this thread. Start another thread...The Z06 produces better numbers, but it seems the SRT10 is an easier and more confidence inspiring vehicle to pilot. Means ppl have to make a choice when purchasing one of these vehicles.
Old 11-16-2005, 01:19 AM
TECH Resident

Arguing about what is better (better value) is simple.. The best total value has been said over and over again, by almost anyone that owns, has tested, or driven the 06 Z06. Stock vs Stock vs Price is the key formula to prove this car's awesome value.

I have always loved Vipers, Ferraris, Porsches and have for the most part been superior till now. Viper will have something up their sleeves for the next model year. They will not take the bashing they are recieving now. The V10 engine has remained unchanged in that car for how long (talking performance enhancments)??????? Thats just not acceptible. The V10 is a good engine, but it should have been revised a couple years ago...

If I were rich, surely I would own a Viper, Ferrari, perhaps an S7, but for "smarter" buy on a budget; Hands down the 2006 Z06 would be in my garage.
Old 11-16-2005, 04:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

yeah i dont understand how they did all that work on the new viper and they still have the same 500bhp they had like 8 years ago
Old 11-17-2005, 08:53 AM
Teching In

Take off those Run flats and that feeling would change drastically
Old 11-17-2005, 11:14 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I read the Motor Trend article and it seemed very complimentary of the Z06 for the most part and picked it over the viper, Car and Driver also picked the Z06 over the viper...

Bottom line if you like the looks, and performance of the Z06 and have the money it is by far the best bang for the buck. If you don't like the styling I hope you have the extra $20k+ it will take to buy one of the other vehicles in its class.
Old 11-17-2005, 03:00 PM
12 Second Club

OK, just read the Road and Track version of the Z06 vs Viper and oh my they gushed over the Z. They picked it as the obvious choice. They can't drive though. They got 1/4 results of 12.2@120 for the Z and 12.4@120 or so for the viper. Somebody sure can't row the gears in that Mag...I know both cars should be able to do better than those numbers. The Z got a perfect score in almost every category that they graded.

I am going to have to sell my car and buy one to see what the hub bub is all about. I don't think I would be disappointed.
Old 11-17-2005, 03:28 PM
FormerVendor

A responsive car with that much power and runflat tires is not going to be easy to drive on the edge. It will be very demanding for a good driver. I have a C5 with similar power and race tires and the faster I make it the harder it is to drive at it's limit.
Old 11-17-2005, 09:44 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by blackz93
That's what I have been trying to tell him. I think he's hard of hearing?!!
I have no doubt the Enzo would humilate a z06 around the "ring", but to my understanding there has never been a manufacturer attempt with the Enzo by Ferrari themselves around the Nurburgring. I can think of alot of cars off of the top of my head that would embarass a z06 around the Nurburgring, although none of them are anywhere near the z06's pricepoint. By the way, a Carrera GT isn't $500,000, its $440,000. Alittle cheaper than what you mentioned, but not much. The Enzo on the other hand was $650,000, which is no small sum of change, but a good deal less than the one million you mentioned earlier. Just wanted to clear up some of the exaggeration of price you did, as although they still cost alot, were not accurate to what they really are.

No arguement here for the z06's bang for the buck factor though.
Old 11-18-2005, 10:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

i bet that the new twin turbo saleen s7 is gonna rape some records on the 'ring

http://www.saleen.com/saleen_s7_performance.htm
750bhp, 700tq, 10.7@136mph, 1.1G skidpad
Old 11-18-2005, 11:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This guy hit the nail on the head... my has been racing late model porsches over the past 7 or 8 years and said the same thing about the Z06's. He said they felt very uneasy at times and were a bit unpredictable. Maybe the better track times are a result of the Z06 coming out of the turns faster???

Driver confidence is a huge thing... everyone has a threshold of confidence they'll exceed, and then that's it. Nobody wants to be the guy that was "brave" enough to push the new Z06 a little harder, and then break his back doing it. I've driven a C5 vette (non-Z06) and a late model Boxter... better believe I pushed the Boxter harder because it inspired much more confdence.

BTW, don't play the Viper down too much... it's not a Chevette or anything!

Originally Posted by Wet 1
I really doubt it is the drivers not having *****.

While I can't comment on the C6 Z06, I have pushed my C5 Z06 very hard and to the limits on the street and track. I've heard that the new C6 is better in just about every regard, but it shares the C5 Zo6's uneasy feeling in the corners and over bumps. As an instructor with the PCA and a racer in SCCA & PCA, I have to agree with these comments about the C5 Z06. Being use to race cars and the rock solid handling of track going Porsches, I've always total felt the same feelings these mag. writers feel, but about the C5 Z06. From fellow racers that have driven the new C6 Z06, they've also said the same nervous unsettled feeling remains in the new Z06 just as it did in the C5 Z06 and I've heard it's worse if anything than the C5... although faster around the track.

I LOVE my C5 Z06, but compared to some of the better handling cars if owned and driven it doesn't hold a candle in the way it "feels". When I first bought my Z06 I though there was something wrong with it. I checked everthing looking for the cause, finally I drove two others and realized they all feel this way. This isn't to say the car doesn't handle or stick well (I'm splitting hairs here)... it very much does, it just doesn't have a good settled and stable 'feel' to it... almost like something in the suspension is sloppy or loose. The funny thing is I've never be able to put my finger on WHY it feels this way given the tight suspension and very rigid platform??? I had hoped they fixed this in the C6 Z06, I guess not. I'm sure switching to an aluminum frame doesn't help!

I've come to live with it and love my Z06, but I'm sticking to the Porsche when it's time to go play in the twisties!
Old 11-19-2005, 09:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 00firebird
i bet that the new twin turbo saleen s7 is gonna rape some records on the 'ring

http://www.saleen.com/saleen_s7_performance.htm
750bhp, 700tq, 10.7@136mph, 1.1G skidpad

you bet your *** its faster than that in the 1/4!

edit: I think i was mistaken about the times

Being small turbo/massive engine powertrain instead of a HO NA engine- its going to have a VERY flat torque curve. HO NA engines are usually rather peaky as they are tuned for a very specific powerband and backed up with short gears.
It also has verised suspension geometry and much much better tires. certainly no slouch.

It has to be a confident car to drive too. ALL the weight is dead smack in the middle of the car.there is a lot of overhang past the wheels and the only thing there is a crasahbox and radiators and the tail end of the exhuast. sweet. Its also go a slight understeer, which is ideal.

Last edited by treyZ28; 11-20-2005 at 11:18 AM.

Quick Reply: MOTOR TREND: Viper outhandles the new Z06!!!