Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Looking for a Motor Trend article, Mustang vs Z28

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2006, 05:21 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Looking for some motor trend article...

My buddies were telling me about some motor trend article where they built up a few cars for the track among them were a 98 Z28 and a Mustang 5.0. They said they did all kinds of things to the cars, cammed both of them , lightened, whatever.

They said the 5.0 was running low 10s and the Z could barely cut 12s! WTF is up with this ? A cammed LS1 barely able to pull 12s just doesnt sound right at all to me ( on sticky tires no less )

So has anyone read this article ? Is there something I'm missing here?
Old 01-25-2006, 05:37 PM
King of Pigskin Knowledge

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Never seen it, but I wouldn't doubt it. I'm just surprised they didn't add a foreign car, get it running 15's with mods,then declare it the shootout winner b/c it had better "refinement, build quality and ergonomics".
Old 01-25-2006, 05:42 PM
TECH Junkie

lol there were other cars included , foreign ones as well, i just am curious what the hell these comparable mods are that they did to a LS1 Z28 and to a 5.0 that netted such strange results...
Old 01-25-2006, 06:48 PM
TECH Junkie

anyone........... ?
Old 01-25-2006, 08:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sorry motor trend can suck my **** after the boxter beat the z06 in a sports car test
Old 01-25-2006, 08:30 PM
11 Second Club

I've had a motor trend subscription for the last 6 years and that article doesn't ring a bell.
Old 01-25-2006, 09:20 PM
King of Pigskin Knowledge

Originally Posted by camaroextra
sorry motor trend can suck my **** after the boxter beat the z06 in a sports car test
Are you fricking serious???

THAT'S why I cancelled my subscription in the late 90's. Why bother doing performance tests to come up numbers and shootouts when:

1. The numbers are almost always worse than your average driver can get

2. You ignore the numbers anyway and almost always declare the foreign/less performing car the winner based on SUBJECTIVE items
Old 01-25-2006, 11:31 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by Luna
My buddies were telling me about some motor trend article where they built up a few cars for the track among them were a 98 Z28 and a Mustang 5.0. They said they did all kinds of things to the cars, cammed both of them , lightened, whatever.

They said the 5.0 was running low 10s and the Z could barely cut 12s! WTF is up with this ? A cammed LS1 barely able to pull 12s just doesnt sound right at all to me ( on sticky tires no less )
I'd call BS on this one. First of all, Motor Trend doing ANYTHING with a 5.0? Unlikely. Comparing an LS1 to a 5.0? Highly unlikely. The 5.0 outperforming the LS1 with what i'm sure they would try to make "comparable" mods? Impossible. Not that the 5.0 isn't a pretty damn good engine, but it's in a different ballpark than the LS1 in my mind.
Old 01-25-2006, 11:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Blakbird24
I'd call BS on this one. First of all, Motor Trend doing ANYTHING with a 5.0? Unlikely. Comparing an LS1 to a 5.0? Highly unlikely. The 5.0 outperforming the LS1 with what i'm sure they would try to make "comparable" mods? Impossible. Not that the 5.0 isn't a pretty damn good engine, but it's in a different ballpark than the LS1 in my mind.
That was what I was thinking I was trying to keep an open mind and not put the LS1 on a pedestal... but I'm sorry a 5.0 is just not much of a competition for the LS1
Old 01-26-2006, 08:35 AM
On The Tree

I've never seen MT do a comparison of modified cars. I've seen articles on modified cars, but they are usually specialty cars, by Lingenfelter, Ruf, Dinan, etc. Also a 5.0 vs. an LS1 sounds wrong because those cars are what, 5 years apart? Might as well do a comparison test between a 72 455 TA and a 77 TA.
Old 01-26-2006, 10:24 AM
TECH Junkie

Well when my friends were telling me they made it sound like it was a budget buster type of build up. Which one can go faster cheaper, in that case I might believe the 5.0 just because the aftermarket is so gigantic... but I'm not even sure if 5.0 aftermarket parts are cheaper...
Old 01-26-2006, 10:49 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Luna
Well when my friends were telling me they made it sound like it was a budget buster type of build up. Which one can go faster cheaper, in that case I might believe the 5.0 just because the aftermarket is so gigantic... but I'm not even sure if 5.0 aftermarket parts are cheaper...
Ohh yeah 5.0 parts are cheaper. Big time.
Old 01-26-2006, 12:22 PM
Restricted User

Still, mod for mod, a 5.0 ain't gonna catch an LS1.

The most obvious evidence of BS in this case is the claim that Motor Trend did anything with a 5.0. MT would definetly use the 98+ 4.6 in a comparison like that. I'd be inclined to consider it if we were talking about Hot Rod Mag or something alone those lines, but not MT.
Old 02-09-2006, 02:06 PM
Teching In

GM High Tech Performance had an issue with a 96 Cobra and 96 Camaro SS comparison.

MM&FF also had a comparison...
http://www.musclemustangfastfords.co...ff_deathmatch/

CJ
Old 02-09-2006, 06:49 PM
Launching!

sounds like your friends are just a bunch of mustang fans and are trying to rattle your cage. First off why would they pit a early 90s 5.0 against a 98z28? think about it. I've been reading motor trend for a while and I cant ever recall them modding a car.
cammed z28 barley getting 12s? lol must have had the stock cam then! 5.0 in the 10s (on all motor)? lol...must have been HEAVILY modded.

I know you can check out the Motor Trend website and search their archives.
Old 02-12-2006, 02:52 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I might know what you are talking about....but I don't think it was MT that did it. Are you referring to the Orange or Yellow Boss 5.0 that was modified and pitted against a modded Z28. That's pretty much all I remember about it though.
Old 02-12-2006, 03:13 PM
TECH Resident

You're probably thinking about the infamous black ZL1 vs orange Boss Mustang comparo that Car and Driver did a few years back, not Motor Trend. John Coletti and the SVT boys threw together a bad *** 10 second Mustang backed by a 3 speed automatic and packing some huge cubes. John Moss and the GM guys origianlly built a 572 powered 4th gen backed by a 5 speed stick and at the last minute changed the motor for something even bigger. They ended up doing a strip run and a road course run. The Mustang owned the Camaro in a straight line by about a second (I believe the Mustang was into the 10s with the Camaro somewhere in the mid 11s) but the Camaro despite having major engine trouble as well as tranny problems ended up taking the Mustang on the road course. C&D called it a tie. It was nothing more than the big guns of each camps performance division fooling around and seeing who could throw up bigger numbers. A pretty good article IMO. It happened like 4 or 5 years ago IIRC.

FWIW Coletti and company used an SN95 body Mustang and not a Fox Body. However they used one of the earlier horizontal tailight models ('94-'95) that still packed the aging 5.0 in GT, Cobra and '95 only GTS trim which is why your friend might have said they used a "5.0" However this car had it's stock 5.0 replaced by something much nastier anyway.

Last edited by bruddah_man_matt; 02-12-2006 at 03:20 PM.
Old 02-12-2006, 07:56 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by bruddah_man_matt
The Mustang owned the Camaro in a straight line by about a second (I believe the Mustang was into the 10s with the Camaro somewhere in the mid 11s)
I think you got it backwards the camaro beat the mustang in the road course by 1 sec. Im pretty sure the drag race was within .1-.3 tenths because as i remember it they had to struggle to get the mustang to do its last run in the drag where it clicked off the best run of the day in the 1/4. i could be wrong but thats how i remeber it.
Old 02-12-2006, 08:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by etc.
GM High Tech Performance had an issue with a 96 Cobra and 96 Camaro SS comparison.

MM&FF also had a comparison...
http://www.musclemustangfastfords.co...ff_deathmatch/

CJ
Ok, anyone notice how stupid that article was? they were "being accused of being bias to the bow tie"? wtf, look at there name! and they went over the price of the SS but failed to look at the more expensive price of the cobra, and for the SS to only be 3 tenths from the cobra on the course is astounding to me, and ofcourse it whould be faster, its got a dam blower on it!! man these guys
Old 02-15-2006, 06:15 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by bruddah_man_matt
You're probably thinking about the infamous black ZL1 vs orange Boss Mustang comparo that Car and Driver did a few years back, not Motor Trend. John Coletti and the SVT boys threw together a bad *** 10 second Mustang backed by a 3 speed automatic and packing some huge cubes. John Moss and the GM guys origianlly built a 572 powered 4th gen backed by a 5 speed stick and at the last minute changed the motor for something even bigger. They ended up doing a strip run and a road course run. The Mustang owned the Camaro in a straight line by about a second (I believe the Mustang was into the 10s with the Camaro somewhere in the mid 11s) but the Camaro despite having major engine trouble as well as tranny problems ended up taking the Mustang on the road course. C&D called it a tie. It was nothing more than the big guns of each camps performance division fooling around and seeing who could throw up bigger numbers. A pretty good article IMO. It happened like 4 or 5 years ago IIRC.

FWIW Coletti and company used an SN95 body Mustang and not a Fox Body. However they used one of the earlier horizontal tailight models ('94-'95) that still packed the aging 5.0 in GT, Cobra and '95 only GTS trim which is why your friend might have said they used a "5.0" However this car had it's stock 5.0 replaced by something much nastier anyway.
There must have been more than one of these matchups. I saw one on speedvision, and later found it on Road&Track's website. However it was a 2000(body) ZL-1 with a 572 and an LS1-style SFI intake, the car was black with a silver hood scoop. The Boss was a 2001 Stang body with a big block of a size I cannot remember. I know the ZL-1 was said to pack 825hp and the Boss supposedly had 790hp. The ZL-1 made three decent 10-sec passes, but the Boss never finished a run. First run it shattered the rear, second run (with new beefier rear) it broke a pushrod. Then they gave up.

That's the only one i've seen, but I think it's an ongoing matchup.

Quick Reply: Looking for a Motor Trend article, Mustang vs Z28