Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

End of the line: GM builds last Chevrolet SSR

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2006, 05:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default End of the line: GM builds last Chevrolet SSR

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=109703

Chevrolet's gorgeous but ill-starred SSR pickup/roadster has reached the end of the line.

The last 2006 SSR rolled out of the General Motors Craft Centre here on Friday, March 17. During its brief three-year production run, GM built fewer than 25,000 SSRs, including just 789 units this year.

The SSR was plagued by issues throughout its short lifespan, including quality problems, too much weight, not enough power and a breathtaking sticker price. The bottom line was dismal sales, resulting in mountains of unsold vehicles that stacked up on dealer lots.

Despite numerous tweaks in performance and price, Chevrolet never did quite get the formula right. It replaced the anemic 5.3-liter V8 with a 395-horsepower 6.0-liter unit from the Corvette, added a six-speed manual transmission and, finally, dropped the MSRP from $43,180 to $39,890. Those changes barely moved the needle.

As demand remained flat, production plunged from 16,000 units in 2004 to 3,250 in 2005. Chevy sold 8,000 SSRs last year, but many of those were leftovers from the previous year.

Automotive News, the trade journal, reported that as of March 1, there were still an estimated 2,500 SSRs left in Chevy showrooms. GM is offering $1,000 rebates on the truck, and anxious dealers are shaving even more off the stickers, hoping to move their remaining units.

What this means to you: Another collectible. But this one came at a bad, bad time for GM.
Old 03-21-2006, 05:51 PM
9 Second Club

It's about time!
Old 03-21-2006, 10:01 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Nautilus
It's about time!
Yes, but unfortunate, in my opinion. I liked it, but it was too much money, and didn't offer enough versatility, as it couldn't fully be used as a truck, and there were too many high performance vehicles for it to compete with as just a "fun" car/truck/thing.
Old 03-21-2006, 10:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=2002BlackSSjust a "fun" car/truck/thing.[/QUOTE]

HAHAHAHAHAH. I think that's why it didn't sell. It couldn't really be used as a truck, and it's definitely not a sports car/roadster... Sure it's fun to drive, until you have to haul something in the bed. Who would wanna scratch that thing up?
Old 03-21-2006, 10:17 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

A lot of wasted money there...
Old 03-21-2006, 10:47 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by 2002BlackSS
Yes, but unfortunate, in my opinion. I liked it, but it was too much money, and didn't offer enough versatility, as it couldn't fully be used as a truck, and there were too many high performance vehicles for it to compete with as just a "fun" car/truck/thing.
No, I can see that, I think it's kind of neat... but these companies should take a huge lesson from the "prowler" book. Think of the amount of money that GM spent on the design, certification, marketing and building of a vehicle that would bring them no return... and not only bring no return... but if they did accurate market research they had to know it was a long shot at best. They wanted to jump on the "retro" bandwagon... but they brought a knife to a gun fight and they learned fast. If all of the money wasted on the SSR was put towards bringing us a better '04 GTO.... Think of the possibilities... GM could have dropped an all new "retro" there muscle car onto the scene one year before ford hit us with the "all new" '05 mustang. It could have made a huge hit... instead general motors will find itself years beind with a camaro 4-5 years after ford took another firm stance in the market. This is just proof of their mis-manegement of time and funds... and again if all of those people working on the SSR had put there energy into a more impressive GTO... I might be driving a GTO and GM could have Mustang class sales numbers....

(BTW, this is not fact it is just an oppinion and maybe a wrong oppinion... so no need to flame if you think I'm wrong )
Old 03-22-2006, 01:12 AM
11 Second Club

As gay as the hhr is, it's about 1 million times better and more practical than the ssr.

Josh
Old 03-22-2006, 03:35 AM
TECH Junkie

Glad to see it leave. GM was retarded to ever try that, AGH!!! A Colorado SS with an LS2 and a T56 is what they need to make...
Old 03-22-2006, 11:10 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Nautilus
It's about time!
Thats exactly what I was going to say.
Old 03-22-2006, 11:21 AM
12 Second Club

I wanted one instead of my Camaro but at the time they still had no delivery date and no real price. Original price was to be around $35K but costs escalated from the folding hard top and brought it north of 40K. Loaded with options they were just over $50K. I nearly traded my SS for a leftover 04 last January but my Fiancee talked me out of it. I'll probably pick one up down the road for a fun toy.
Old 03-22-2006, 01:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GETGONE
I wanted one instead of my Camaro but at the time they still had no delivery date and no real price. Original price was to be around $35K but costs escalated from the folding hard top and brought it north of 40K. Loaded with options they were just over $50K. I nearly traded my SS for a leftover 04 last January but my Fiancee talked me out of it. I'll probably pick one up down the road for a fun toy.
Same here, someday i'm gonna get one. They simply are unique and are a blast to drive, the stock exhaust sounds awsome and it turns heads like nothing else. I like everything about it except the price, if i could have bought one for 30k i wouldn't have looked at getting the TA.

Everybody complains about them and ya they don't sell (mostly due to the price tag) but overall the fit n finish and feel of driving it is like nothing else. It will be the next 57' chevy everybody hated it in 57' but today its such a collector car.
Old 03-22-2006, 01:22 PM
Racer

Thank God,sick of seeing it at dealerships instead of new Camaros! Bring on the z28s,SSs, and hopefully ZL1s!
Old 03-22-2006, 03:12 PM
Launching!

I'm glad to see it go too. I never really liked it to begin with. It was too overpriced... and ugly IMHO.

Maybe GM could bring the Holden Ute to the states and rebadge it as a Chevy El Camino... now that would be cool. It'd be more affordable and more attractive over the SSR.
Old 03-22-2006, 03:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Never liked the looks of those things... Plus wasn't it over 5k lbs, yet wasn't really good as a truck? Whats the point? Unique yes, but also overpriced and not quite so practical, IMO.
Old 03-22-2006, 05:22 PM
TECH Resident

Yah who authorized this one over at GM? Dumbasses. "Quick someone give the green light to the Super Shitty Roadster." That's what'll save this company, not a well built RWD platform from Austrailia.
Old 03-23-2006, 03:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

another failure from GM that wont be missed.
Old 03-23-2006, 12:49 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Switch the SSR plant over to El Caminio production using the Holden Ute as the platform.
Old 03-23-2006, 05:24 PM
TECH Veteran

I remember when the concept was new, and the public demanded GM produced it. So they did. Now it's the gayest thing ever? Sometimes I really don't understand GM fanboys.

Personally, I think it's a real headturner and one of the more unique vehicles GM has ever made. The retractable top is super-slick and the LS2/six-speed option is killer. It's a cruiser, not a sports car or truck. Similar to the Thunderbird or Prowler, a real weekend showpiece for the street. I appreciate it for what it is.

I think it's great cars like that are produced and I'm sad to see another one go.
Old 03-23-2006, 05:53 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by TriShield
I remember when the concept was new, and the public demanded GM produced it. So they did. Now it's the gayest thing ever? Sometimes I really don't understand GM fanboys.

Personally, I think it's a real headturner and one of the more unique vehicles GM has ever made. The retractable top is super-slick and the LS2/six-speed option is killer. It's a cruiser, not a sports car or truck. Similar to the Thunderbird or Prowler, a real weekend showpiece for the street. I appreciate it for what it is.

I think it's great cars like that are produced and I'm sad to see another one go.
Trishield, one of the few who come with great level-headed opinions. Please keep telling it like it is.
Old 03-23-2006, 07:17 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by TriShield

**** everyone wnted gm to build it then was like oh nevermind.

Quick Reply: End of the line: GM builds last Chevrolet SSR