Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Trucks Trucks Trucks: Meet The New Silverado and Sierra... If You Dare

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2006, 04:31 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trucks Trucks Trucks: Meet The New Silverado and Sierra... If You Dare

http://www.autoblog.com/2006/07/23/2...etails-emerge/

Because it ain't pretty. These things are nowhere close to good looking IMO. I will have to wait until I see them everywhere before I pass final judgment but still. The Silverado seriously looks like an early 70s GMC pickup and the Sierra looks like a ******* Honda Ridgeline. If this is the tradeoff we're getting for supposedly good looking cars then those new Pontiacs we're hearing about better be ******* Kelly Hu hot. Of course just like the GMT900 SUVs only the top dogs get the 6 speed automatic (in this case that's the Sierra Denali with a slightly detuned 6.2L V8 from the Yukon Denali paired with the new trans). I can't believe GM pushed Zeta to the back burner for these things. The Tahoe and the Escalade have thus far been the only good looking GMT900 based vehicles from GM. The Yukon, Silverado and Sierra have yet to grow on me and I'm not sure if they will. The interiors are an improvement but again I stress the need for GM to equip these trucks with it's awesome new 6 speed automatic. I can't tell you how much that would help in the marketplace to say that you offer 2 more gears to boost economy and performance than the American competitors and 1 more than those from Japan.

More images can be found over at http://www.autoblog.com/2006/07/23/2...etails-emerge/

I don't want to hotlink to all of them but here are a few.

2007 Chevrolet Silverado:

2007 GMC Sierra:

2005 Kelly Hu (what GMs new passenger cars must look like in order for us to accept these new truck designs):

Old 07-23-2006, 05:40 PM
TECH Veteran

They look like absolute ****.

THESE are the revolutionary, groundbreaking, and class-leading fullsizes GM has been promising for over a year?

This is the laziest, plainest, lamest redesign I've ever seen. If you asked a toddler to draw a truck with a crayon this is what they would come up with. I would expect styling this lifeless from Toyota.

Ironically, the new Tundra looks more like the quintessential American truck than either of these blocks GM has given us. It's muscular, macho and screams TRUCK boldly. It has the specs to back up it's looks and the interior is stylish to boot.

These things are still saddled with the old 4-speed automatic and 4.3L V6. Where did all that money go into these trucks?

I guess Toyota will have a real chance at making an impact in this segment, thanks to GM dropping the ball.
Old 07-23-2006, 05:46 PM
TECH Junkie

I will order one Kelly Hu, but pass on those fugly trucks.

W
Old 07-23-2006, 07:46 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

I Like em'
Old 07-23-2006, 08:46 PM
14 Second Truck Club

The GMC looks like half a ford, and the chevy looks like it went back in time to the 80's. Ill keep my current one.
Old 07-23-2006, 09:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think with some time they'll start growing more with people. I know when the 03 front end came out I thought I looked like caca and I ended up buying one.
Old 07-23-2006, 10:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no ****..they are ugly..i have thought they were ugly since they changed them from the "old body style" 88-98 or whenever they quit making them. I thought ****, these new ones will grow on me..well they sort of did, then i see pics of these things and i say to myself..those will NEVER grow on me, so took advantage of their big sale and bought an 06 gmc crew cab z71. Judging by the pics, i will never sale it for a new one
Old 07-24-2006, 12:51 AM
11 Second Club

I like the GMC a hell of alot better than the Chevy..

But overall, I'm not too crazy about either.

Josh
Old 07-24-2006, 05:15 AM
TECH Junkie

GM's problem is that those trucks are not so attractive that ppl just have to have them. The old Chevy trucks were so good looking it was not funny. However, no one desperately desires these trucks. GM needs to design cars that play on our emotions, they can do that because they used to. Design lustful cars, GM.

W
Old 07-24-2006, 11:49 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by WECIV
GM's problem is that those trucks are not so attractive that ppl just have to have them. The old Chevy trucks were so good looking it was not funny. However, no one desperately desires these trucks. GM needs to design cars that play on our emotions, they can do that because they used to. Design lustful cars, GM.

W
That's impossible to determine at this point. Sales will be the measuring stick.
Old 07-24-2006, 12:41 PM
SSU'S Vice Mod

Better hope the fleet sales don't wayne...
Old 07-24-2006, 12:50 PM
TECH Junkie

I like the GMC especially with those nerf bars taken off, the interior looks alot better especially the dash.
Old 07-24-2006, 01:18 PM
TECH Junkie

"That's impossible to determine at this point. Sales will be the measuring stick."

Bullshit...looks are immediately obvious to everyone. You cannot say...I do not know if she is hot right now...I will think about it. A. she is hot...or B. she is not. GM used to make the best looking cars on earth in the day...that is why the rest of the world copied our designs. American cars need to return to that visual predominance.

W
Old 07-24-2006, 01:22 PM
TECH Addict

Not bad.. I don't hate it.
I'll reserve final judgement until I see them in person (as I do with any new vehicle).

The interiors are vastly improved which is where the GM trucks needed the most help, so that's a good thing.

I think the chrome on the front bumper is optional equipment?
Old 07-24-2006, 04:29 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by WECIV
"That's impossible to determine at this point. Sales will be the measuring stick."

Bullshit...looks are immediately obvious to everyone. You cannot say...I do not know if she is hot right now...I will think about it. A. she is hot...or B. she is not. GM used to make the best looking cars on earth in the day...that is why the rest of the world copied our designs. American cars need to return to that visual predominance.

W
I wouldn't consider the people on this board as a suitable crossection of the buying sector to determine if it looks good or not. If it sells as well, or better, than its predeccessors then it obviously looks attractive enough to the buying public. The people on these boards are a buying minority from a statistical standpoint.
Old 07-24-2006, 04:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think they look pretty good. What were you all expecting?! OK..OK..GM could have done better BUT they could have been ALOT worse. I'm not a big fan of the bulging fenders. I will have to see it in person before I really judge them. The interior is MUCH mproved too. I did not like the 2003 redesign of the Silverado when they first came out. I eventually bought a 2004 Silverado because the design grew on me. I think this new design will do the same for me too.
Old 07-24-2006, 05:42 PM
Adkoonerstrator

The GMC kinda reminds me of one of those Lincoln Blackwood pickups.

The Chevy would probably look better with a paint matched grill instead of all that chrome.

I'll have to wait and see them in person because like a lot of guys I didn't like the front end redesign of the '03+ but, ended up buying one once they grew on me.
Old 07-24-2006, 07:00 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by SSCamaro99_3
I wouldn't consider the people on this board as a suitable crossection of the buying sector to determine if it looks good or not. If it sells as well, or better, than its predeccessors then it obviously looks attractive enough to the buying public. The people on these boards are a buying minority from a statistical standpoint.
Just because we're not looking to buy one, doesn't mean we're blind. "Looks attractive enough" as you put it is another way of saying "not ugly enough to keep most people who will use the truck for it's capabilities and care more about underhood performance, towing capacity and some measure of interior quality from buying it." But it doesn't mean these new trucks look good. Exterior appearance is a completely subjective category. I don't have to be in BMWs target demographic or looking to buy an E63 6 Series to tell you that it's one of the ugliest ******* cars ever built.

These trucks are ugly. Will they sell? Probably better than ever. Why? Because of the refinements made inside and underneath the bodywork. Because most people who buy trucks buy them for the purpose of using the bed. Because the current F-150 is a blocky piece of **** and while I personally like the looks of the ram, obviously many people don't since it lags behind Ford and GM in truck sales. Because people still refuse to buy the Tundra and Titan because truck buyers in the US tend to be loyal American manufacturers. There are a ton of reasons these things will probably more than likely still sell. Doesn't mean they look good.

BMWs current ugly *** E60 5 Series and E90 3 Series cars are selling well and better than their E39 and E46 predecessors IIRC but that doesn't mean they share the same clean and snazzy looks as the cars they succeed.

Last edited by bruddah_man_matt; 07-24-2006 at 07:06 PM.
Old 07-24-2006, 08:29 PM
TECH Addict

i bet they sell like crazy. the more i look at them, the more they grow on me.
Old 07-25-2006, 09:34 AM
TECH Regular

I'm all for great looking cars....but a good looking car does not mean sales. Look at Toyota and Honda. Has anyone ever said that the Camry or Accord look cool? No...yet they sell a ton of those vehicles. Why? It's all about the interior and packaging. This is where American cars have been getting their butts kicked for the last 20 years. Amercian cars look cool...but the interior design/feel did not enhance the value or image of the vehicle. There has also been a great difference in quality which seems like the gap is closing now.

The new Tahoe and Escallade are by far the best large trucks produced...EVERY magazine agrees. The fit and finish...the feel of the materials...the packaging....everything is spot on.

Now...I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the fit, finish, materials and the packaging are spot on for the trucks. If I'm right...you will see those trucks continue to dominate the market regardless of what they look like.

Quick Reply: Trucks Trucks Trucks: Meet The New Silverado and Sierra... If You Dare