Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Toyota Tundra truck better because the TV shows it?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2007, 02:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I heard toyota is looking to into the diesel market in the next few years.... good luck on that one because you already way behind the pack
Old 05-05-2007, 12:39 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by CaseyEaterMach1
Toyota also forgets to mention that all of the Domestic Trucks put out their power at much lower RPM's because lets get something straight here these are trucks meant for towing not passenger cars low end is one of the most important things. Plus they never mention Ford's 6.8 V10, GM's 6.2 or any of the diesels offered by all the American trucks, engines that have more torque than Toyota could ever dream of having.
thats because toyota doesnt have a HD truck available. if you wanna brag about towing, lets bust out the new ford superduty. case closed. IMO toyota will only be able to keep up the smoke and mirrors act for so long before people start catching on to the BS.
Old 05-08-2007, 11:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

I read through the MotorTrend truck trend shootout article between the new Silverado and Tundra. It was a 3 stage contest with different models, and they did different tests each month. The first I believe was V6 vs V6 and then midlevel V8 vs V8 and then top of the line in the last article. (i could be wrong about the earlier months but from what I gathered thats what they did).

Anyway, they chose the tundra because it had a better rear gear option, got 1mpg better in most scenarios, had a better powertrain option (the 5.7 with 6 speed), and did slightly better towing a full load. But strangely they contradict themselves from earlier in the article; the silverado was considered more comfortable at towing a full load because it drives lower and was smoother on the road with its suspension, the Tundra had a tendency to slip its tires due to not properly sending torque to the wheels via traction control, and I believe the silverado was actually rated for slightly more towing.

Then on top of that, they mentioned how the silverado had a better warranty, better payload, much nicer interior, more features (other than a particular plug n play tow harness), cost less, drove smoother, better looking exterior and nicer fit/finish, and nicer storage compartment/seat configuration. This is all with less HP/TQ and TWO fewer gears.

Come on now, GM is doing more with less. I think it was a horrible decision to not put their 6L85 transmissions in the first year, but the truck is still holding its own. So, how is it that the tundra won the competition? Doing a tally, im seeing quite a bit more features on the chevy side. And of those: ride quality, ergonomics, appearance, and performance are best. Sounds like the key features of a BETTER truck. Thats the kind of biased poor publicity that this truck doesnt deserve. They need that 6.2L/6speed flying off the assembly line now
Old 05-08-2007, 12:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JAvenger007
I read through the MotorTrend truck trend shootout article between the new Silverado and Tundra. It was a 3 stage contest with different models, and they did different tests each month. The first I believe was V6 vs V6 and then midlevel V8 vs V8 and then top of the line in the last article. (i could be wrong about the earlier months but from what I gathered thats what they did).

Anyway, they chose the tundra because it had a better rear gear option, got 1mpg better in most scenarios, had a better powertrain option (the 5.7 with 6 speed), and did slightly better towing a full load. But strangely they contradict themselves from earlier in the article; the silverado was considered more comfortable at towing a full load because it drives lower and was smoother on the road with its suspension, the Tundra had a tendency to slip its tires due to not properly sending torque to the wheels via traction control, and I believe the silverado was actually rated for slightly more towing.

Then on top of that, they mentioned how the silverado had a better warranty, better payload, much nicer interior, more features (other than a particular plug n play tow harness), cost less, drove smoother, better looking exterior and nicer fit/finish, and nicer storage compartment/seat configuration. This is all with less HP/TQ and TWO fewer gears.

Come on now, GM is doing more with less. I think it was a horrible decision to not put their 6L85 transmissions in the first year, but the truck is still holding its own. So, how is it that the tundra won the competition? Doing a tally, im seeing quite a bit more features on the chevy side. And of those: ride quality, ergonomics, appearance, and performance are best. Sounds like the key features of a BETTER truck. Thats the kind of biased poor publicity that this truck doesnt deserve. They need that 6.2L/6speed flying off the assembly line now
But I thought they just named the Silvie the TOTY and already called it the better truck in their first comparo, and that was 5.3 vs 5.7! I think Toyota has bought out MT AGAIN.
Old 05-08-2007, 12:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hydramatic
But I thought they just named the Silvie the TOTY and already called it the better truck in their first comparo, and that was 5.3 vs 5.7! I think Toyota has bought out MT AGAIN.
Exactly. Thats what i mean, they just contradict themselves. Although the Tundra didn't make it into the TOTY contest if I remember correctly. Regardless, the Tundra won 2 out of the 3 rounds for this shootout, getting named the overall better truck, i believe.

I heard a great radio ad last night where a man comes on talking about common myths about domestic auto makers and what the imports do with their advertising/marketing and how they affect our economy. He goes on to say that for every one new factory toyota builds, each of their employees equals 4 domestic employees working at GM/Ford plants that lost their jobs. It ends with saying, support america and buy a GM or Ford, and thats it, no "this is a message from congressman so and so". I thought it was a pretty good ad.
Old 05-08-2007, 02:26 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by JAvenger007
Exactly. Thats what i mean, they just contradict themselves. Although the Tundra didn't make it into the TOTY contest if I remember correctly. Regardless, the Tundra won 2 out of the 3 rounds for this shootout, getting named the overall better truck, i believe.

I heard a great radio ad last night where a man comes on talking about common myths about domestic auto makers and what the imports do with their advertising/marketing and how they affect our economy. He goes on to say that for every one new factory toyota builds, each of their employees equals 4 domestic employees working at GM/Ford plants that lost their jobs. It ends with saying, support america and buy a GM or Ford, and thats it, no "this is a message from congressman so and so". I thought it was a pretty good ad.
Yeah, we need more of those ads to counteract ALL of the TOY/Japan, Inc. brainwashing/dogma, and all of the ricef**ks always bring up the transplants for their defense. As far as MT goes; OF COURSE they are going to bias towards the manufacturer that spends 10x more on ads in their rag. Unbiased, objective reporting be damned!!
Old 05-08-2007, 02:29 PM
Staging Lane

They're better because their ads have a guy who looks like a wannabe Viggo Mortensen.
Old 05-08-2007, 02:47 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

even though they're silly gimmicky ads.... theres one thing to give it credit for.

someone out in the desert actually setup a gigantic metal see-saw, and they they raced a truck/trailer up and down it.
same with the other stunts.

sure they're gimmicky crap... but they're a hell of alot more entertaining then the cars/trucks magiclly floating up in a city and flying around....
Old 05-14-2007, 04:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I read on another forum that someone with a brand new RCSB 5.7L tundra ran a 14.1 first time out, that's fast for a stock truck it it's true.
Old 05-15-2007, 06:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

I would like to see auto commercials that rival a Presidental Election. Like the **** slinging ads we saw during 2004 election. GM needs to start calling Toyota out on this crap and start doing "test" of their own. The American public enjoys a good pissing match.
Old 05-15-2007, 07:17 PM
Deranged Rat Fink

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I picked up one of the new Tundras ( one of the bigger crew cab V8 units) from a dealership to install some accessories on it. First thing I noticed was it acted like the parking brake was on, just didn't seem to want to move quickly. Next thing was if I put my hand on the right side of the steering wheel I kept hitting the turn signal switch , way too close to the wheel. I also noticed the guages were not very visible. Interior styling was just plain bizarre. I only drove this truck for about 20 minutes but was not impressed with it at all in terms of handling or acceration.. If I were to buy a new truck , definitely would be a GM product.
Old 05-15-2007, 08:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by badjuju342
I picked up one of the new Tundras ( one of the bigger crew cab V8 units) from a dealership to install some accessories on it. First thing I noticed was it acted like the parking brake was on, just didn't seem to want to move quickly. Next thing was if I put my hand on the right side of the steering wheel I kept hitting the turn signal switch , way too close to the wheel. I also noticed the guages were not very visible. Interior styling was just plain bizarre. I only drove this truck for about 20 minutes but was not impressed with it at all in terms of handling or acceration.. If I were to buy a new truck , definitely would be a GM product.
felt the same way when i checked one out at an auto club show. The split color theme looks awful and the grille is clearly just designed to be "big". Surprising coming from toyota, especially that fake scoop above the chrome.
Old 05-16-2007, 10:22 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ive only noticed one new one on the road locally.

i watched it go forward and back up about 7 times to turn around in the parkinglot...
(not the trucks fault... the guy didnt know how to drive a big truck)

Quick Reply: Toyota Tundra truck better because the TV shows it?