Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

GTR prices and specs

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 05:12 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

But the 300ZX was around for almost fifteen years(seventeen in Japan)? What are you smokin'?lol
I never said anything about the 80's 300ZX. "The last 7 years of the 300 ZX" does not include any 1980 models and does not include the 350Z.

And by the way, I have never heard the words "Bad ***" and "300ZX turbo" used together. Unless it is at a NOPI event .
Old 06-13-2007, 05:46 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TT632
I never said anything about the 80's 300ZX. "The last 7 years of the 300 ZX" does not include any 1980 models and does not include the 350Z.

And by the way, I have never heard the words "Bad ***" and "300ZX turbo" used together. Unless it is at a NOPI event .

Most 300ZX owners wouldnt go to a NOPI event...its not a Civic. Keep in mind the 300ZX cost more then any production Fbody so your owners are typically a little different then most imports. I also know of several local bad *** 300ZXs making upwards of 650HP that would lay waste to a good majority of the members on here...

A guy here in SA is making a little over 1000RWHP in his 300ZX, he was trapping in the mid 150s when he went to the track last I heard...
Old 06-13-2007, 05:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Badass is really a subjective term. I think of the 300ZX Turbo as a slick GT. Not really badass, but a nice car nonetheless. A better than average daily driver you might say.
Old 06-13-2007, 06:29 PM
TECH Junkie

^ I find it to be one of the most luxurious GT's ever made (the Z32), along with my car, the 3000 GT's.
Old 06-13-2007, 11:52 PM
TECH Resident

I can appreciate the statements made above. Most people are very passionate about their favorite Make as I am about GM products. I would never buy a new import but have occasionally bought used ones for a DD or a conversion project.

As far as the GTR being ready to compete against a Z06 they will have there work cut out. They won't be competing against the Corvette of today, they will competing against a newer faster and quicker Corvette of the future. and if the Camaro gets the LS7 I stand by my previous statement that it would beat the lessor GTR's. It is not easy getting a new vehicle to market and the Corvette, Viper and even the Ford GT have a huge advantage having a current model year to work off of.

Last edited by TT632; 06-14-2007 at 12:45 AM.
Old 06-14-2007, 11:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

I can appreciate the statements made above. Most people are very passionate about their favorite Make as I am about GM products. I would never buy a new import but have occasionally bought used ones for a DD or a conversion project.

As far as the GTR being ready to compete against a Z06 they will have there work cut out. They won't be competing against the Corvette of today, they will competing against a newer faster and quicker Corvette of the future. and if the Camaro gets the LS7 I stand by my previous statement that it would beat the lessor GTR's. It is not easy getting a new vehicle to market and the Corvette, Viper and even the Ford GT have a huge advantage having a current model year to work off of.
Exactly.

This is the problem Toyota has been going through with their Tundra for years....They can't figure out how to not aim at the current generation, but rather the next one. That's what happens when you are about as innovative as 1960's Rambler....

Nissan watches Toyota's mistakes and tries to correct them in their own products.
Old 06-14-2007, 02:14 PM
TECH Resident

Nissan watches Toyota's mistakes and tries to correct them in their own products.
This is one of the strange things about Nissan. I was a Engineer at their Arizona Test Center in the mid 90's doing development work on their cars, and conducting competitor testing. It was a openly held belief amongst both Japanese and American employees that they were #2 next to Toyota. "Toyota is the leader" "Toyota get's all of the best grads from the University of Tokyo" were common comments from my Japanese counterparts. The strange thing was that it was viewed as no big deal having this take on a competing company. This may or may not have been a Japanese thing, but I have not seen this behavior in any American company I have worked for including GM. It was an interesting place to work to say the least.

This is the problem Toyota has been going through with their Tundra for years....They can't figure out how to not aim at the current generation, but rather the next one.
This is a problem for most of the OEM's. You test the competitors that are the market leaders without regard to what they will have coming up in the next generation. By the time you release your vehicle, your competitor has something better. This is one of the advantages Ford has with their trucks. They have so many options available at every level that an upstart to the full size truck market would have a hard time competing with them.

Last edited by TT632; 06-14-2007 at 02:44 PM.
Old 06-14-2007, 02:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I was driving a Titan a few days ago what an impressive powertrain but I was wondering who designed the interior? Its worse than an F-150 and Silverado....but no one ever mentions that in the road tests for some reason???
Old 06-14-2007, 02:44 PM
TECH Resident

It could be one of the others but most likely the interior was produced by Lear. They are one of the largest provider of automotive interiors in the world. Design of the interior should be in the hands of Nissan designers, although the OEM's seem to be outsourcing a lot of the design work to the suppliers.
Old 06-14-2007, 03:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by germeezy1
I was driving a Titan a few days ago what an impressive powertrain but I was wondering who designed the interior? Its worse than an F-150 and Silverado....but no one ever mentions that in the road tests for some reason???
That's what I was thinking too. Impressive engine for a first try, no doubt!

The outside seems too plasticky and doesn't inspire much confidence in me....
Old 06-14-2007, 04:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The New Escalade powertrain moves out for a truck too, but for when it came out the Titan was a force to be reckoned with in the powertrain dept. Feels alot stronger than the 5.3 Chevy or 5.4 Ford and stronger than the Hemi Dodge.
Old 06-14-2007, 10:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

lol and this started out a GTR thread...... now we are talking about trucks
Old 08-19-2007, 09:12 PM
Launching!

*UPDATE*

It's finally starting to happen, the beans are being spilled just months before Tokyo Motor Show. Nissan's new GT-R engine is in actuality, not from the VQ family at all, but a VR, engine code: VR38. Peak power is estimated at 480 metric horsepower @ 6,800 rpm; torque comes in at a strong 420 lb-ft @ 1,700 - 5,600rpm.

News is that the new VR is even lighter than the VQ and VK series of engines that have similar capacities. Here's where things get pricey, titanium intake valves and magnesium alloy exhaust valves will be used as well as a version of the new VVEL (Variable Valve Event and Lift) technology as used in the V36 Skyline Coupe. Red line is from 7,600rpm, with a 7,800rpm rev limit--almost 8 grand, we love it
Even after the VR hits all 480 metric ponies at 6,800rpm, the engine is still able to provide 90-percent of maximum power up to redline. Certainly Nissan used the improvements learned from the VQ35HR (high response) for the new VR, giving it nearly-instant torque with a strong, powerband throughout. The engine will be turn-key capable of over 600 hp.
We hope to drive the GT-R very soon. More information to come."
Old 08-19-2007, 09:14 PM
Launching!

Like I said on a previous page, a properly setup turbo 6 cylinder will have a much better torque curve then a V8.
Old 08-19-2007, 10:17 PM
Banned

Sweet! Nice find!
Old 08-19-2007, 10:26 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by RedBeauty84ZX
Like I said on a previous page, a properly setup turbo 6 cylinder will have a much better torque curve then a V8.
... Than a NA V8? Sure, who'd dispute that? A properly sized turbo can act almost identically to a nitrous hit or a positive displacement blower and massively increase the area under the curve...

On a V6, I4/I6, OR a V8 motor... Doesn't matter since "properly set-up/sized turbo" means the right size for a balance between powerband and peak power on a given motor... A "right sized turbo" can compliment any motor's powerband.

Granted, the turbos cannot be too big and still carry this curve attribute, but for 600 hp, that's not a problem with the turbos it will have. It's what I'd expect for this new GTR, no less. The engine appears to be very well-engineered so there doesn't appear to be a weak spot all around.
Old 08-20-2007, 12:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bboyferal
... Than a NA V8? Sure, who'd dispute that? A properly sized turbo can act almost identically to a nitrous hit or a positive displacement blower and massively increase the area under the curve...

On a V6, I4/I6, OR a V8 motor... Doesn't matter since "properly set-up/sized turbo" means the right size for a balance between powerband and peak power on a given motor... A "right sized turbo" can compliment any motor's powerband.

Granted, the turbos cannot be too big and still carry this curve attribute, but for 600 hp, that's not a problem with the turbos it will have. It's what I'd expect for this new GTR, no less. The engine appears to be very well-engineered so there doesn't appear to be a weak spot all around.
+1 I don't think Nissan has ever made the power curve too spiky. It's always nice and smooth because of the twin scrolls they love using.
Old 08-25-2007, 07:37 PM
TECH Regular

It's gonna be very interesting when that car actually hits the streets. I'm actually looking forward to this car hitting the street because this means two things for us American car enthusiasts. 1) Step your car game up 2) Someone from the big three (GM, FORD, DODGE) is gonna come out with something much better for us.
Old 08-25-2007, 08:09 PM
TECH Junkie

^ For a short time maybe because it never ends.

Japanese imports sure have been stale though since the 90's.
Old 08-25-2007, 08:16 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by bboyferal
^ For a short time maybe because it never ends.

Japanese imports sure have been stale though since the 90's.
+1...lol... In my last post I forgot to add that even if no one from the big three makes something better, this car isn't something an F.I. LSX can't handle... lol

Quick Reply: GTR prices and specs