Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

GTR prices and specs

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 06:04 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hydramatic
I wouldn't count the Viper, GT, S7, Mosler, Ultima GTR, etc. out of the fight so quickly! I know for a fact that the Ultima would rape the Skyline without the lube! Not to mention all those Callaways out there....

Don't get me wrong, though, I love the Skyline, mostly the R32 generation, but meh. I think it's great competition, just like the Supra and 3000GT used to be. I still call the mitsu's Japanese Firebirds....
My statement was incorrect... I didn't take into account the Ultima GTR and the S7 due to their rarity.

The Saleens/Callaway/Lingenfelter etc. I wouldn't count because they're tuners. We would then have to throw in the Nismo/Mines/etc. tuner limited production Nissan GTR's to be fair, and then things would get ugly.

I was just considering, you know, the more reasonable sports GT's.

I do have a feeling it will edge out the Viper and come near the C6 Z06 for lap times (near... NOT past), but I know it is my own personal and possibly unlikely opinion...

I would still love to see if the GTR prototype has REALLY gone 7:41... I searched but was unsuccessful... I'm gonna call BS on this 'til someone can finally give us a link.
Old 05-25-2007, 12:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bboyferal
My statement was incorrect... I didn't take into account the Ultima GTR and the S7 due to their rarity.

The Saleens/Callaway/Lingenfelter etc. I wouldn't count because they're tuners. We would then have to throw in the Nismo/Mines/etc. tuner limited production Nissan GTR's to be fair, and then things would get ugly.

I was just considering, you know, the more reasonable sports GT's.

I do have a feeling it will edge out the Viper and come near the C6 Z06 for lap times (near... NOT past), but I know it is my own personal and possibly unlikely opinion...

I would still love to see if the GTR prototype has REALLY gone 7:41... I searched but was unsuccessful... I'm gonna call BS on this 'til someone can finally give us a link.
Ohhhhhh man would that be a battle! I'd love to see one of Smoky Nagata's Top Secret Skylines fight to the death with the Sledgehammer or a Lingenfelter TT427!

The Viper isn't everyone's cup of tea, so it usually suffers as far as perception of handling goes....I like how they drive, personally....more so than the Corvette in some ways. The Ford GT needs to lose some weight....
Old 05-25-2007, 01:43 AM
TECH Junkie

7:41 seems unlikely seeing as "thrust to weight" goes to the Z.

W
Old 05-25-2007, 08:04 AM
TECH Junkie

Well, no proof yet...
Old 05-25-2007, 11:49 PM

Anyone see this? 3 seperate GTR mule's have returned to testing at the Ring, and one is distinctly more aggressive than the other. Supposedly one version of the GTR (supposedly the Evo version) is putting down some unbelieveable times.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/au...issan_gtr.html

"And as part of the preparations, the 450bhp V6-engined, four-wheel-drive machine is aiming to make a series of record-breaking runs at the legendary Nürburgring circuit in Germany. It was heading there when our spies saw the car - and snapped this first picture of the interior.

According to experts, the newcomer is currently completing laps of the dem?anding track in only seven minutes, 15 seconds - which means the Nissan is averaging as much as 110mph! The assessments are being carried out while the car is still in its disguised form, with black masking covering the nose and rear end. However, what is clear - thanks to our exclusive picture of the cabin - is that an LCD display will take pride of place in the centre of the GT-R's dashboard.

The latest Nissan will get a semi-automatic gearbox and bucket-style racing seats, too. Company bosses have yet to confirm when the car will go on sale in this country. How?ever, it's believed the new Skyline could set buyers back more than £55,000 should they wish to im?port one personally from Japan."
Old 05-26-2007, 07:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 565
Anyone see this? 3 seperate GTR mule's have returned to testing at the Ring, and one is distinctly more aggressive than the other. Supposedly one version of the GTR (supposedly the Evo version) is putting down some unbelieveable times.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/au...issan_gtr.html

"And as part of the preparations, the 450bhp V6-engined, four-wheel-drive machine is aiming to make a series of record-breaking runs at the legendary Nürburgring circuit in Germany. It was heading there when our spies saw the car - and snapped this first picture of the interior.

According to experts, the newcomer is currently completing laps of the dem?anding track in only seven minutes, 15 seconds - which means the Nissan is averaging as much as 110mph! The assessments are being carried out while the car is still in its disguised form, with black masking covering the nose and rear end. However, what is clear - thanks to our exclusive picture of the cabin - is that an LCD display will take pride of place in the centre of the GT-R's dashboard.

The latest Nissan will get a semi-automatic gearbox and bucket-style racing seats, too. Company bosses have yet to confirm when the car will go on sale in this country. How?ever, it's believed the new Skyline could set buyers back more than £55,000 should they wish to im?port one personally from Japan."

Ive heard this already, and its so unrealistic its funny. Its physically impossible that a 3500lbs+ car with under 500hp could get even close to those times.
Cars like this Radical:

are running those times, and are practically full blown race cars...
And those times also mean it beat the Carrera GT, Zonda F, Koenigsegg CCR (which has 800hp), Bugatti 16/4 Veyron, Murcielago LP640....
Old 05-26-2007, 09:04 AM
TECH Junkie

^

I've heard this recently, and it's generally agreed to be too ridiculous to be true for the reasons mentioned very accurately by JD AMG... This is so absurd, it's not even worth considering for a serious discussion.

I was hoping for some kind of link for the alleged 7:41 time (Coincidentally and quite amusingly one second faster than the C6 Z06's time of 7:42) because if it was true, that might be worth some "WTF?'s" or acclaim.

The most common time they were getting was 8:20's. I see them shaving that down MAYBE to high sevens probably really low eights.

7:15? On a mass-produced street friendly sports GT? Yeah, right. With 1k rwhp and full racing slicks, maybe.
Old 05-27-2007, 03:16 AM
Launching!

I think if they had this car priced right around where the evos and sti's are they would make a killing. But I guess that is where the 350z is goin to be at. Are they goin to be keepin that car around with the gtr coming out?
Old 05-27-2007, 06:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by z28MP
I think if they had this car priced right around where the evos and sti's are they would make a killing. But I guess that is where the 350z is goin to be at. Are they goin to be keepin that car around with the gtr coming out?
I don't see why they would kill the Z. Not everyone can afford a top of the line sports car. Killing the Z would be a mistake, just like killing the Camaro and Trans Am.
Old 05-28-2007, 06:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'd pimp it... the EVO spec one that is...
if damn little nagging issues keeping hounding my C5... sheesh, it'd be an economical alternative.
however, those times of "7:15"... I'ma gonna call a steaming pile of bullshit for the car.
Old 05-28-2007, 09:34 PM
TECH Junkie

I've done alot of digging, and there are MANY reports of 8 seconds FLAT for preliminary testing... quite decent for the prototype stage with alot of potential shaving before production.

MAYBE even 7:40's, competing head to head with the C6 Z06 as formidable GT's... But not 7:15.

Here is a reliable source:

http://www.roadandtrack.com/article....rticle_id=4650
Old 05-28-2007, 11:23 PM
Teching In

No way that car is running low 7's at the ring.
Old 05-30-2007, 11:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

I guess everyone has forgotten about that new super-powerful Corvette coming out with the blower....

The GTR isn't evenn an issue for Chevrolet. Hell if the GTR drives like the old one, stock it won't be much of a performer, nothing mind-bending. It's when the tuners get their hands on them(not ricers mind you, tuners) that the crazy performance numbers will come out. Unfortunately, I'd put an Domestic tuner up against a Japanese tuner anyday and expect the domestic to win. I mean seriously, do you really think Callaway or Lingenfelter or Mallet are going to let some wussy Japanese tuner claim that they have the best "tuned ride" in the world? Not likely.
Old 06-06-2007, 05:07 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They have been promising this car here for years. It will be the equivalent to the 300 ZX of the late 90's. If it does make it here it may have the performance of the camaro, not the Vette. Most likely a stock Camaro will embarrass the lower end model, with a lightly modded Camaro beating the top end model.

As far as tuning stock ECM's go, GM's are by far the most user friendly. The GTR would probably need a game boy to tune.
Old 06-06-2007, 06:53 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by z28MP
Unfortunately the Z will probably never see FI again in it's life either. The car was and is a huge hit with the public so killing it would be dumb. They are redesigning it in 2009 again. Theres too much heritage with the Z car too......the GTR is a different car to a different audience.
Old 06-06-2007, 07:05 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by DemitriHKS
Unfortunately the Z will probably never see FI again in it's life either. The car was and is a huge hit with the public so killing it would be dumb. They are redesigning it in 2009 again. Theres too much heritage with the Z car too......the GTR is a different car to a different audience.
Agreed... But as a Nissan fan, I don't think they should relegate the Z/fairlady namesake to a "junior" or "softy" sports car to contrast with their GTR. Yeah, the GTR is their new "baby" and they will make it badass, but why ignore their Z? Once, the Z was the baddest car Nissan had... And as a Z enthusiast, I feel bad for that market considering the kind of car a GTR buyer will have... I still think the New GTR will be ALMOST as fast on a track as the C6 Z06 (high sevens in the 'Ring, for instance), but I feel that it would be nice if the 350Z had more NA power... A Nissan with the "Z" moniker should be given a bit more performance than it has now I think.
Old 06-06-2007, 10:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Dad gummit, I want a 350Z Twin-turbo like the old 300ZX. The 300ZX was and still is a dream car of mine. I'll take mine with the digital graph gauges ala 80's Corvette.
Old 06-07-2007, 01:59 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by TT632
They have been promising this car here for years. It will be the equivalent to the 300 ZX of the late 90's. If it does make it here it may have the performance of the camaro, not the Vette. Most likely a stock Camaro will embarrass the lower end model, with a lightly modded Camaro beating the top end model.

As far as tuning stock ECM's go, GM's are by far the most user friendly. The GTR would probably need a game boy to tune.
The 300ZX(Z32) was an early 90's car (1990) and was faster then the Camaro/Trans Am and just as fast or faster then the Corvette. The "lower" end model of the new GTR is coming with 480HP and AWD, I doubt a Camaro will even be as fast much less handle/brake as good. The GTR is a Porsche/Corvette fighter not a Camaro/Trans Am fighter. And in the past Nissans ECUs have been very tunable...
Old 06-07-2007, 02:04 PM
Staging Lane

It will sell. Just because of ricers with too much money. Look at the 350z it's grossly underpowered and people love them! My prediction is that every ricer with two fart cans on a 350z will trade in for a skyrhine. And then they will proceed to lose to z06 vettes. end of story
Old 06-07-2007, 03:12 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by OctaneZ28
How about not at all.

$94,000 for a 530HP GTR.
$70,000 for a 505HP Z06.

Easiest decision ever.
That's exactly what I thought when I read this thread ! That car is just an overpriced ricer's wet dream !

Quick Reply: GTR prices and specs