Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Hints at a soon-to-be 5th Gen. Camaro SS??

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2003, 03:05 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hints at a soon to be 5th Gen. Camaro SS???

I don't know where else to put this so here goes: Has anyone seen the 1 page ad in the May '03 issue of Motor Trend on page 107 of the bad *** black/white 1st Gen. Camaro SS? The ad has words to song "Go Little Camaro Go" by the Ramones on it also. So, Chevy is either advertizing SS appeal in general, or maybe (even better) hinting at a new F-Body to come our way soon!!! Disclaimer: "I don't make it a habit to read M.T., but while waiting at the shop as my tires were being put on I picked up the mag. and saw the ad." Any other ideas anyone?????
Old 05-01-2003, 03:13 PM
TECH Veteran

Default Re: Hints at a soon to be 5th Gen. Camaro SS???

There has previously been mention of this ad with the 1st gen Camaro in it. I believe that Scott Settelmire said that it had been done over a year ago and that it was more off a Chevy ad tan anything to do with the Camaro specificly.
Old 05-01-2003, 03:51 PM
TECH Junkie

This probably belongs in the Lounge, but I saw that ad in MT and it actually irritated me. Call me defensive, but I wonder which advertising genious decided to use a classic Camaro in an ad with the Chevy slogan "we'll be there" only months after they kill the car. Seems kinda too little, too late for me when they play the "Camaro heritage" card now. Where was this sentiment a few years ago when they decided not to continue production?

I hope I'm wrong, and this is the sign of a 5th Gen just around the corner , but I didn't take it as anything more than poorly-timed advertising...
Old 05-01-2003, 05:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

This probably belongs in the Lounge, but I saw that ad in MT and it actually irritated me. Call me defensive, but I wonder which advertising genious decided to use a classic Camaro in an ad with the Chevy slogan "we'll be there" only months after they kill the car. Seems kinda too little, too late for me when they play the "Camaro heritage" card now. Where was this sentiment a few years ago when they decided not to continue production?

I hope I'm wrong, and this is the sign of a 5th Gen just around the corner , but I didn't take it as anything more than poorly-timed advertising...
I couldn't agree more.

I think the new Mustang will be the best selling Mustang of all time, and I think Bob Lutz is a NUT! Why would he want a 1000 hp Caddy that less than 1% of the population would or could buy? Look at the projected truck for 2006, UGLY! There are a thoudand other problems.

Bob Lutz (GM's new "mastermind) says that the retro themed cars will not sell? WTF? I have said a thoudsand times that if GM would build modern versions of the classic musclecar that it would seel like hot cakes. How about a 70 Chevelle and 67-69 Camaro/Firebird, but why would GM want to listen to the buyer? I guess I will continue to have to upgrade the substandard parts that GM installed on my 99 Camaro (rearend, clutch, clutch hydraulics etc)

Why don't we get a petition for a real muscle car from GM. Lets specify the looks we want, power level and what we will pay. We CAN take control if we use our dollars as leverage.

Old 05-01-2003, 08:05 PM
Teching In

I couldn't agree more.

I think the new Mustang will be the best selling Mustang of all time, and I think Bob Lutz is a NUT! Why would he want a 1000 hp Caddy that less than 1% of the population would or could buy? Look at the projected truck for 2006, UGLY! There are a thoudand other problems.

Bob Lutz (GM's new "mastermind) says that the retro themed cars will not sell? WTF? I have said a thoudsand times that if GM would build modern versions of the classic musclecar that it would seel like hot cakes. How about a 70 Chevelle and 67-69 Camaro/Firebird, but why would GM want to listen to the buyer? I guess I will continue to have to upgrade the substandard parts that GM installed on my 99 Camaro (rearend, clutch, clutch hydraulics etc)

Why don't we get a petition for a real muscle car from GM. Lets specify the looks we want, power level and what we will pay. We CAN take control if we use our dollars as leverage.

I guess that is why Ford is cancelling the Thunderbird, and sales of the VW Beetle are declining, that's reight, the retro look sells, but only for a couple of years.

GM is playing it smart, retro is NOT the way to go. One thing people on these boards have to remember, we are the minority, and a very small minority at that. Yes GM could have made a 5th Gen F-Body, but why??? Nobody was buying them for a host of reasons, even though they were the hands down "bang for the buck" winner. The majority of car buyers want a much more refined car than what our F-Bodys are, or will ever be.
Old 05-02-2003, 06:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I couldn't agree more.

I guess that is why Ford is cancelling the Thunderbird, and sales of the VW Beetle are declining, that's reight, the retro look sells, but only for a couple of years.

GM is playing it smart, retro is NOT the way to go. One thing people on these boards have to remember, we are the minority, and a very small minority at that. Yes GM could have made a 5th Gen F-Body, but why??? Nobody was buying them for a host of reasons, even though they were the hands down "bang for the buck" winner. The majority of car buyers want a much more refined car than what our F-Bodys are, or will ever be.
Lets wait and see if the new Mustang will be a flop. I firmly believe that it will not have a problem with sales. I understand what you are saying about the Bug and Thunderbird, but I believe the performance cars are a bit different. I guess we can wait and see.
Old 05-02-2003, 06:57 PM
TECH Resident

You all don't get it do you???????????????? Bob Lutz(mastermind!!!!!!!!!! ) I think he is really on Ford's payroll. He is doing everything he can to fuc*-up GMs line-up so Ford can walk away with the performance market.
Old 05-02-2003, 08:31 PM
TECH Junkie

The majority of car buyers want a much more refined car than what our F-Bodys are, or will ever be.
Yes, the majority of car buyers maybe. BUT, the majority of car enthusiasts want performance. The original ponycars (and most musclecars for that matter) were all about performance (and I don't mean FWD Monte Carlo or V6 Mustang performance either). No matter how good the stereo was or the A/C or leather seats, etc., what's under the hood is what mattered. I think this is still true, but GM doesn't market to the enthusiast, they market to the average folks who buy cars to get from point A to point B (soccer moms, businesses, families with kids, etc) and they really just care about sales. Do you think Dodge makes money on the Vipers? I don't. What do they sell? Maybe a thousand or so a year? Its an image car, a halo product. They could give a **** if they don't make a profit on each one because you really can't quantify the value of an "image" no matter how hard the bean counters try. Look at the Subaru WRX and the Mitsubishi Evo. Here's a couple of cars that are a great bang for the buck, are built for nothing but the enthusiast, and they're selling all they can build. GM doesn't really do things this way from what I can tell. They have the opportunity with the Corvette and did with the F-bodies, but they still want to make a few bucks on them all too (even though the profit margins on trucks and SUVs dwarfs that of sports cars).

So the car rags and the Consumer Reports issues will always look for refinement (whatever that is), but when you drive these nice, refined cars you don't come away with a grin on your face. Mr. Lutz is full aware of this and I think he IS having an influence at GM, but these things take time. This is a big, slow-moving company. I trust that there are good things coming, but for now I like my unrefined, noisy, solid axle, pushrod, gas guzzling, V8!
Old 05-03-2003, 02:43 AM
Teching In

You all don't get it do you???????????????? Bob Lutz(mastermind!!!!!!!!!! ) I think he is really on Ford's payroll. He is doing everything he can to fuc*-up GMs line-up so Ford can walk away with the performance market.

Sorry, but if it were not for Mr.Lutz there would be no forthcoming GTO, no CTS V-Series, no Pontiac GXP line, and no Chevy SS line. He was instrumental in forming GM's new performance operations that will be giving the consumers new performance cars. He is probably one of the best "car guys" out there currently in the domestic car market, he is also responsible for the Viper. Ford only currently has only one real performance car, the Cobra. The plain Mustang GT cannot even come close to to the 4th gen performance wise. And the new GTO will be able to beat the GT in every catagory except for price, but then again it will be a definate step up from the GT.

Yes, the majority of car buyers maybe. BUT, the majority of car enthusiasts want performance.
Very true, but lets look at facts here. Less tan 1% of the car buying public are car enthusiasts. We are an extreme minority, there are fewer and fewer people that want a big V8 engine powering a solid rear axle car. Younger people look more and more at how much technology is packed into a car, and lets be honest, the LS1 at a quick glance to these buyers is a dinosaur ( even though we know better).
Old 05-03-2003, 02:02 PM
On The Tree

Younger people look more and more at how much technology is packed into a car, and lets be honest, the LS1 at a quick glance to these buyers is a dinosaur ( even though we know better).
I disagree, all of my friends and i aren't as concerned with technology as everyone makes the younger generation out to be. I'll take a carbeurated 454 any day, i like my cars with big engines and pushrods
Old 05-03-2003, 02:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Younger people look more and more at how much technology is packed into a car, and lets be honest, the LS1 at a quick glance to these buyers is a dinosaur ( even though we know better).
I disagree, all of my friends and i aren't as concerned with technology as everyone makes the younger generation out to be. I'll take a carbeurated 454 any day, i like my cars with big engines and pushrods
Ditto
my Group :
01 Z28
00 TA
93 mustang notch 5.0
95 Mustang GT
we are 21-22 , all have stock stereos and 10 grand+ dumped into the motor and drivetrain. no Rice EVER
Old 05-03-2003, 04:51 PM
TECH Junkie

my Group :
01 Z28
00 TA
93 mustang notch 5.0
95 Mustang GT
we are 21-22 , all have stock stereos and 10 grand+ dumped into the motor and drivetrain. no Rice EVER
Ah, there IS hope
Old 05-04-2003, 11:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

There's hope here too! Almost 18years old and believe the less electronics and "technology" the BETTER! I would rather just have a bare bones car. That is one thing I will commend dodge for doing with the viper. The car has been around for 11 years and it is still absent of most of the everyday conveniences. I can't say the same for the C5 though, as everything on that car seems to have no direct linkage to the driver. Everything is electronic; hell with the stability control on, even a sunday driving grandpa can look near as good as a seasoned professional. I like the feel of cables to the engine and no computer intervention. Just my 2 cents.
Old 05-04-2003, 08:41 PM
Teching In

Look, I have been around cars my entire life, ( I'm amost 42 ), my father worked for GM for over 30 years, and I pratically grew up at Watkins Glen race track. The first car I ever built for the street was a 1976 Cosworth Vega, yup a little 4 banger that could kill the big ole V8's that prowled around Buffalo, NY. It was amazing what almost 300Hp in a sub 2000Lb car could do . But look today at what cars are generating the biggest interest in younger buyers, WRX STi, EVI VIII, 350Z, G35, cars like the F-Body, GTO, Mustang do not even show up on their radar for the most part. Don't get me wrong, GM should have come out with a 5th gen F-Body back in 2000, but their head was stuffed too far up their collective asses.

Myself personally I have owned cars built from all over the world, yes I like pushrod V8s, but I also like turbo 4s, flat 6's, and even rotaries.

Quick Reply: Hints at a soon-to-be 5th Gen. Camaro SS??