Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

More Quality Issues for the Toyota Tundra

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 10:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default More Quality Issues for the Toyota Tundra

Well, first the engine was breaking camshafts.

Now the torque converters are failing, and tailgates are falling off...

Pickuptruck.com has brought forth some new information on the Tundra and its quality control. The first involves the Tundra's transmission, with at least ten owners at TundraSolutions.com reporting that their trannies experience rough shifts that make the truck feel like it's riding over rumble strips. The 'rumble strip' transmission issue has been acknowledged by Toyota North America and traced back to the torque converter not disengaging properly. Owners report having their transmissions replaced with new or remanufactured ones, though Toyota told Levine that going forward the automaker would only replace the torque converter itself. Toyota did not say, however, how many trucks are affected, just that the transmission problem is not a safety or design issue.

http://www.pickuptruck.com/html/news...ons/page1.html

The second quality issue sprouted up this past weekend, also on TundraSolutions.com, and involves tailgates that have been failing or, in some cases, even falling off. The most common experience seems to be the tailgate itself forming cracks and the metal buckling when under load. One owner reported that his tailgate failed when loading an ATV into the bed for the very first time. The tailgate being such an integral part of owning a truck, members of TS have begun an online petition, which they hope will force Toyota to recognize the issue and do something about it. The petition has attracted 125 signatures so far. Levine from Pickuptruck.com has also asked Toyota about these potentially failing tailgates and is waiting for a response.

http://www.pickuptruck.com/html/news...tes/page1.html

"the truck that's changing it all" should be "the truck that's BREAKING it all"
Old 10-23-2007, 10:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

No wonder they don't tow their own trailers... They probably tried, and broke half the truck leaving the parking lot.
Old 10-24-2007, 01:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
No wonder they don't tow their own trailers... They probably tried, and broke half the truck leaving the parking lot.
its a good thing Chrissy isn't here (45psi) , because he would justify all these problems and show us what he has been pulling everyday, all day... up hill and stopping on a see saw contraption before he falls off a cliff because the tundra has bigger brakes because thats what truckers want
Old 10-24-2007, 03:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ChaseSS
its a good thing Chrissy isn't here (45psi) , because he would justify all these problems and show us what he has been pulling everyday, all day... up hill and stopping on a see saw contraption before he falls off a cliff because the tundra has bigger brakes because thats what truckers want

LOL! Hopefully after all these problems, the import fanboys will realize that imports are not so much better than domestics. I'm not holding my breath though.
Old 10-24-2007, 04:08 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by ChaseSS

Oh, don't worry, he'll be back on here with another username to defend his beloved TOY's "honor". He has to, since he swore a blood oath to Wantanabe San (TOY's CEO/pres.) and Japan in general.
In fact, I suspect that modmotor on the other threads in this section may just be our "Chrissy" in new guise. He's a "sneaky bastard" if that's the case, trying to decieve us/the mods by using a seemingly Blue Oval based username.
Old 10-24-2007, 04:14 PM
14 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by dailydriver

Oh, don't worry, he'll be back on here with another username to defend his beloved TOY's "honor". He has to, since he swore a blood oath to Wantanabe San (TOY's CEO/pres.) and Japan in general.
In fact, I suspect that modmotor on the other threads in this section may just be our "Chrissy" in new guise. He's a "sneaky bastard" if that's the case, trying to decieve us/the mods by using a seemingly Blue Oval based username.
I was thinking it was the V6Corvette guy myself, but he got banned pretty quick.
Old 10-24-2007, 05:02 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by mzoomora
I was thinking it was the V6Corvette guy myself, but he got banned pretty quick.
I was thinking the same thing. I would not put it past "Chrissy" to do something like that to "dis"/mock ALL domestic/f body owners. And then create the modmotor username to bash/lambast his other (V6Corvette) username to deflect suspicion. Either way, that's little riceboy tactics.
Old 10-24-2007, 06:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by dailydriver
I was thinking the same thing. I would not put it past "Chrissy" to do something like that to "dis"/mock ALL domestic/f body owners. And then create the modmotor username to bash/lambast his other (V6Corvette) username to deflect suspicion. Either way, that's little riceboy tactics.
^ exactly what I was thinking.
Old 10-24-2007, 08:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Either way, that guy is a Homo.
Old 10-24-2007, 09:09 PM
TECH Veteran

It is because their trucks are great pieces of **** and they are built using cheap methology. They use cheap *** parts from Taiwan, China, Korea, and many other countries on peon labour. I know this for a fact. It is undienable when you start pulling off the shelf parts which have labels on them.

Like I have been saying only cheap cars use timing belts. Belts which you are only supposed to run for 60K miles but Toyota ramped it to 90K to look better. Same damn belt....In the 1980s Toyota motors had to be pulled completely apart every 60K according to service intervals. I bet 45PSI has never even ******* owned a 22R

Their trucks are crap and people prove it time and time again yet people are dump and they are willing to listen to any lie.

How many years did people go around smoking tabacco products for the many years after they knew it was bad? How many people buy diamonds for engagements even though DeBeers totally made it up? [My relatives in Europa don't even have that tradition as prove.]
Old 10-24-2007, 10:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Man I always tend to agree with you, but a timing belt dosen't make a motor bad or cheap. I will say it makes it a pain in the *** to maintain. There are some good motors out there with timing belts. It depends on the belt. I have had 2.2/2.5 Turbo Mopar cars go well over 150,000 miles on the original timing belt. I think it depends on the what the belt is running.

I would say that Toyota just doesn't make a good truck. They rushed a product to market to try and compete with the big boys and failed.

I would also put any S-10/Sonoma/Colorado up against a Tacoma. You just can't show up here from the land of the rising sun and try to pass off a Full Size truck/Small truck. when the Big 3 have been doing it forever.
I am not sure how Toyota got such an over inflated reliability rating, bunch of crazy Lemmings believing everything they see and read.
Old 10-24-2007, 11:30 PM
TECH Junkie

I would be ashamed if I were a truck builder and my truck did this. This is disgusting!!!

W
Old 10-25-2007, 12:09 AM
TECH Regular

hell if your stupid enough to buy a toyota truck when that very own company wont use their truck to pull their trailer .. well that makes you a "Dumbass" ! May your trucking days be filled with days to the lake being ruined by a transmission that wont shift and a tailgate that wont keep yer **** where u put it ... in the great words of red from that 70's show ... Dumbass !!
Old 10-25-2007, 01:01 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by My1st Truck
Man I always tend to agree with you, but a timing belt dosen't make a motor bad or cheap. I will say it makes it a pain in the *** to maintain. There are some good motors out there with timing belts. It depends on the belt. I have had 2.2/2.5 Turbo Mopar cars go well over 150,000 miles on the original timing belt. I think it depends on the what the belt is running.

I would say that Toyota just doesn't make a good truck. They rushed a product to market to try and compete with the big boys and failed.

I would also put any S-10/Sonoma/Colorado up against a Tacoma. You just can't show up here from the land of the rising sun and try to pass off a Full Size truck/Small truck. when the Big 3 have been doing it forever.
I am not sure how Toyota got such an over inflated reliability rating, bunch of crazy Lemmings believing everything they see and read.

They just pretty much changed everything to a Cali emissions style belt and jacked up all the ratings. It is basically the same belt. No proportional increase in width to accompany the increased service life. I know I expect everything to be so overbuilt. Just my way I guess. I never go over the recommended schedule on anything so maybe I am pissy about it.

One thing is that with belt you have to get more stretch than with a chain or gear driven even though the belt is composite. Small amounts of stretch can't be good. You aren't running the same amount of cam timing all the time. Hopefully, your tensioner keeps this from happening. At high RPM high HP I have to wonder though. I have seen tensioners move on high HP applications and like I said a couple of degrees matter on that.

As we keep pushing the length of belts longer and longer with DOHC idlers ect the stretch has to get worse. One of the problems GM really had with quad 4 was the chain was longer and that make it 'weaker' than expected. The result was alot of warranry claims. I broke a couple quad 4s myself. No racing either.

Well. That is my beef with belts. I know they make belts for Chevy motors that are outside adjustable and super cool. I have to wonder about it though. I will take the whinny gear.

I am damn sure Toyota made gear driven motors. Probably fiber though. Would have to think about it.

Last edited by 2002_Z28_Six_Speed; 10-25-2007 at 01:10 AM.
Old 10-25-2007, 10:07 PM
TECH Junkie

A question...how do you break a cam shaft?

W
Old 10-25-2007, 10:10 PM
14 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by WECIV

W
The same way you break a tailgate off.
Old 10-25-2007, 11:48 PM
TECH Regular

chinese metal is like pottery clay .. itll be fine .." let the stupid americans pay to fix it "
Old 10-26-2007, 12:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2002_Z28_Six_Speed
In the 1980s Toyota motors had to be pulled completely apart every 60K according to service intervals. I bet 45PSI has never even ******* owned a 22R
The 22R was chain driven, no timing belt. And it has to be one of the most bullet proof 4 bangers ever built. I've known people that have owned 22r(fuel injected and carbed) trucks and have had zero issues. They've driven them over 200,000 miles with no issues other than normal wear items like a clutch, spark plugs, brakes, tires, etc. No bad alternators, bad water pumps, etc. If you lived up north, the truck would rot away before you had any real problems with your motor(that has been fixed since they introduced the Tacoma in 1995).

Toyota's quality on new models has been slipping the past few years. They did rush the Tundra into production, and now they are paying for it. Still, the power output from their big V8, 5.7L, 381hp, 401lb-ft torque, is quite impressive. I'd still take a new GMC over a Tacoma, even a used Duramax for the same $$$.

Another thing to consider is that GM has really improved their quality in the past 10-15 years(Ford and Chrysler have improved to a lesser extent). They've really caught up with Toyota in terms of reliability. Its too bad perception lags behind reality.
Old 10-26-2007, 05:09 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by WECIV

W
You have to buy a Honda Ridgeline or Toyota Tundra and pretend you can haul and drive like you're in a GM
Old 10-26-2007, 06:55 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by AronZ28
The 22R was chain driven, no timing belt. And it has to be one of the most bullet proof 4 bangers ever built. I've known people that have owned 22r(fuel injected and carbed) trucks and have had zero issues. They've driven them over 200,000 miles with no issues other than normal wear items like a clutch, spark plugs, brakes, tires, etc. No bad alternators, bad water pumps, etc. If you lived up north, the truck would rot away before you had any real problems with your motor(that has been fixed since they introduced the Tacoma in 1995).

Toyota's quality on new models has been slipping the past few years. They did rush the Tundra into production, and now they are paying for it. Still, the power output from their big V8, 5.7L, 381hp, 401lb-ft torque, is quite impressive. I'd still take a new GMC over a Tacoma, even a used Duramax for the same $$$.

Another thing to consider is that GM has really improved their quality in the past 10-15 years(Ford and Chrysler have improved to a lesser extent). They've really caught up with Toyota in terms of reliability. Its too bad perception lags behind reality.
Thanx! How do you even remember that motor??? Buried in the past. No one should know about that! Too bad they stopped that stuff.

Quick Reply: More Quality Issues for the Toyota Tundra