Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

GM to Set Up Research Center in Shanghai

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 03:41 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Every international company has direct foreign investments, including GM, Ford, NIKE, etc, etc

Relax guys. Nothing new here.
Old 10-31-2007, 08:08 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by firecrotch59
China and India are creating three times the amount of college educated workers compared the US and more than 5 times the amount of engineers.
Do to population growth.
Originally Posted by firecrotch59
Its no surprise that GM is thinking of manufacturing in China, its a LOT cheaper to do so while INCREASING the quality of the product manufactured. Yea I said it.....go ahead and flame away but its true.
You are correct. GM like many other companies, choose to save money by outsourcing to other countries, building in other countries and, in this instance, R & D in other countries. Yet GM in my opinion, is using domestic loyalty as their theme behind their advertising.

The US has the best colleges and universities in the world. Most any foreign student, given the opportunity, will study & earn their degree in the US.
Old 10-31-2007, 10:53 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by dsz28
Do to population growth.
You are correct. GM like many other companies, choose to save money by outsourcing to other countries, building in other countries and, in this instance, R & D in other countries. Yet GM in my opinion, is using domestic loyalty as their theme behind their advertising.

The US has the best colleges and universities in the world. Most any foreign student, given the opportunity, will study & earn their degree in the US.
Not true! Most foreign students come to the US, 4-5 years already ahead of us in Math, Science, etc.... I remember my senior year in high school, when a Japanese student came into my algebra 2 class having already completed this in his freshman year. US is far behind when it comes to the percentages of citizens completing any form of schooling.
Old 10-31-2007, 11:52 AM
14 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by modmotor
Not true! Most foreign students come to the US, 4-5 years already ahead of us in Math, Science, etc.... I remember my senior year in high school, when a Japanese student came into my algebra 2 class having already completed this in his freshman year. US is far behind when it comes to the percentages of citizens completing any form of schooling.
http://www.arwu.org/rank/2005/ARWU2005_Top100.htm

Just because your school was behind does not make American universities behind. Why was the Japanese student here if our schooling is so bad? Why wouldnt his parents find an alternate source of education? I took Alegbra 2/Trig in my Sophomore year of high school, and could have taken it Freshman year had I not chosen to retake Geometry instead. And I went to a public school. Even though there are many Americans who study abroad most are not doing it for the quality of education, many do it for the social/broadening their horizons aspect. And many more foreign students come here to study.
I am not saying there isnt great foreign schools, and that some of them arent tops in their area, but as the list shows there are many more American universities at the top.

Edit- Also, we are off topic again. An article about a strictly research facility turned into people talking about manufacturing jobs, cars being imported from China by GM, the US educational system, etc.
Old 10-31-2007, 01:37 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by mzoomora
In other words I would rather see an American company doing well than a foreign one.

THIS is the bottom line that all of the import nameplate/transplant praising fanboyzz just cannot (or refuse to) understand.
Yes, I AM a PROUD "nationalist", and an unabashed, blatant "domestic fanboy" for this very reason (especially in "their" global economy!!).

I guess that they also root for foreign teams in international competitions, and our enemies in war??
Old 10-31-2007, 01:48 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think that is a biased comment in the way that many forgien school you decide an angle at an early age and pursue a school in math/science, lit/art, ect. They don't have general high schools. In fact in Europe alot of people don't go to general colleges. I will think of the name here in a second. It is like a tech school without the bad rep.

I don't think people from another part of the globe are magically smarter. Their schooling can be more concentrated. Or maybe their culture says to try harder!

I have dealt with alot of people from around the Orient and their schooling is very very specific. They can't help you with jack unless it is applied to the exact mircoprocessor they know or the exact set of circuits they normally deal with. Other than that they are completely useless. It is the normal to memorise the answer to the problem not how to get there.

Many people come to the USA for education because degrees here are accepted anywhere and it looks good on their resume. Another reason is that it might be easier to get a degree in French here than it is in France.
Old 11-01-2007, 02:40 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by dsz28
Does non US work better for you?

My point in this thread was (retorical) why not build in the US? Why not do research in the US? We have engineers, scientists etc.
I guess GM paying John Cougar to sing "Our Country" in the comercials makes it all better
http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/11/01/auto.main/index.html

The Honda worker recalls the pride and sense of accomplishment he felt as the gray sedan rolled off the production line at the brand-new plant in Marysville, Ohio. The automobile marked a first not only for Hines but for Honda and Japan as well, neither of which had ever produced a car in the States.

"To get into something like that at the ground floor, there's very few people that ever get that opportunity," Hines said recalling the four-door Accord with the license plate "USA 001."

Twenty-five years later, Honda has changed the face of Marysville. The central Ohio town has become the decorated veteran of a long march from the rural Midwest into the Deep South, with foreign auto companies altering the economic landscape, and thus the fabric, of many American small towns.

As those small towns have prospered, cities synonymous with domestic production have seen the other side of the story, with money and jobs leaving the area.

Hines may feel secure -- his plant has never had a lay-off -- but Honda's arrival has generated tough times for others. New riches have spawned new competitors for mom-and-pop shops and farmland has been taken over by housing and business.

Hines is fine with the trade-off.

Coming from a farming background with no college education, he said he would have never dreamed he'd be where he is today, with 27 years experience and a steady income to provide for his family of five. Watch Hines describe how Honda has become his life »

Honda, he said, put Union County's little farming community on the map.

"Honda was more or less part of the community starting off," Hines said. "But I'll be honest with you -- I think Honda is the community now."

About 10,000 people work at the Marysville complex. For each job created within Honda, an additional seven jobs are created outside the company, according to "Honda's Economic Impact in Ohio," a study done by an outside firm.

Honda a 'godsend' to the area

The company has helped take Union County's unemployment rate down to 4 percent, according to Eric Philips of the Union County Chamber of Commerce. Before Honda, the unemployment rate was in the double digits.

And all across the county, there are signs of growth. Billboards advertise new real estate; bulldozers prepare the way for new shopping developments.

While growth has come in leaps for towns like Marysville, some of the former northern mainstays of auto manufacturing have seen their fortunes tumble as domestic manufacturers cut back production.

Take Flint, Michigan, for example. General Motors closed its sprawling, 2,900-employee Buick City plant there in 1999. Census Bureau population figures reflected the hit. Flint's population fell 11.6 percent between 1990 and 2000, and was projected to fall even further.

"That was the mainstay of the economy. It sort of pulled the heart out of the town. That's the only way to describe it," said Thomas Klier, a senior economist with the Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago. "It was devastating."

But Philips said Honda, which has invested $6 billion in Ohio, has been a "godsend."

"It's hard to express what they mean to our economy," he said.

Foreign auto manufacturers have been economic angels to other small towns, too. The Toyota plant in Georgetown, Kentucky, provided funds to help build a new high school; the Mercedes plant in Vance, Alabama, has brought nearly 42,000 jobs to the area; BMW has invested more than $2 billion in its Spartanburg, South Carolina, facility. These are just several of many towns that understand what Honda means to Marysville. Learn about foreign auto plants in the U.S. »

While GM is closing plants, building sites in China and laying off 1000's of American workers, Honda, Toyota, Mercedes and Nissan are giving those small town families hope! Look how much they invest into the economy.
Old 11-01-2007, 02:58 PM
14 Second Truck Club

Now tell the story of how many American workers lost their jobs because they were undercut on price because of unfair trade and import practices by Honda and Toyota.

That will be a real tear jerker.
Old 11-01-2007, 03:55 PM
12 Second Club

Now tell the story of how many American workers lost their jobs because they were undercut on price because of unfair trade and import practices by Honda and Toyota.

RIGHT!! Also how so many of the Nippon transplants were intentionally put in the south (to prevent/NEVER have to deal with unions and legacy costs). They also built in small towns, away from large cities, not just for the tax breaks, and worship they would recieve as "economic savoirs", but also to avoid hiring blacks. This has been documented and actually found in Nissan corporate transcripts/communiques.

I can just imagine the payoffs that took place to the "Revs" (Sharpton and Jackson) in order to keep this quiet. It must've worked since (around here at least) blacks will ONLY buy import nameplates.
Old 11-01-2007, 04:11 PM
Banned

They were not undercut. Toyota has been operating in the US since the early 50's and has invested over 15billion into the US economy.

http://www.toyota.com/about/news/com...niversary.html

Toyota (NYSE:TM) established operations in North America in 1957 and will operate 15 manufacturing plants in North America by 2010. There are more than 1,700 Toyota, Lexus and Scion dealerships in North America which sold more than 2.8 million vehicles in 2006. Toyota directly employs over 42,000 in North America and its investment here is currently valued at more than $19 billion, including sales and manufacturing operations, research and development, financial services and design. Toyota's annual purchasing of parts, materials, goods and services from North American suppliers totals more than $28.5 billion. According to a 2005 Center for Automotive Research study, Toyota, along with its dealers and suppliers, has generated nearly 400,000 U.S. jobs, including jobs created through spending by direct, dealer and suppliers employees.

The Toyota Corolla was introduced to Americans in 1968 and has gone on to become the world's all-time best-selling passenger car. By late 1975, Toyota became the best-selling import brand in the U.S., and later became the first international automaker to surpass sales of one million vehicles in 1978. In 1986, Toyota produced its first car built on American soil -- the Corolla FX15 -- at the New United Motor Manufacturing, Inc. plant in Fremont, Calif., a joint venture with General Motors. Today, Toyota operates ten plants in eight U.S. states with an eleventh plant under construction in Mississippi.

Again, GM builds plants in Mexico and China, while it continues to disperse from American soil.

Whats going to happen when China starts to build the Camaro, Silverado etc.... what would you say then?
Old 11-01-2007, 04:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Again, GM builds plants in Mexico and China, while it continues to disperse from American soil.

Whats going to happen when China starts to build the Camaro, Silverado etc.... what would you say then?
dear lord modmotor, give it a rest already. GM to Set Up ResearchCenter in Shanghai!!!!! There are NO PLANS to start building cars in china and ship them here!!!! I don't know why you hate american companies but please tell me why it wouldn't be a good idea to start selling cars in the fastest growing economy?? Your beloved Toyota did that with US (they saw the potential to sell here) so why are you complaining about GM seeing interest in China? Furthermore, I would love to see all those brilliant facts you gave about 'how much Toyota does for our country' in contrast with any other US auto manufacturer, yet alone GM. As much as you want to complain about GM dispersing from American soil, they will always contribute more to this country than Toyota and thats undisputed
Old 11-01-2007, 04:49 PM
14 Second Truck Club

They were not undercut. Toyota has been operating in the US since the early 50's and has invested over 15billion into the US economy.

http://www.toyota.com/about/news/com...niversary.html

Toyota (NYSE:TM) established operations in North America in 1957 and will operate 15 manufacturing plants in North America by 2010. There are more than 1,700 Toyota, Lexus and Scion dealerships in North America which sold more than 2.8 million vehicles in 2006. Toyota directly employs over 42,000 in North America and its investment here is currently valued at more than $19 billion, including sales and manufacturing operations, research and development, financial services and design. Toyota's annual purchasing of parts, materials, goods and services from North American suppliers totals more than $28.5 billion. According to a 2005 Center for Automotive Research study, Toyota, along with its dealers and suppliers, has generated nearly 400,000 U.S. jobs, including jobs created through spending by direct, dealer and suppliers employees.

The Toyota Corolla was introduced to Americans in 1968 and has gone on to become the world's all-time best-selling passenger car. By late 1975, Toyota became the best-selling import brand in the U.S., and later became the first international automaker to surpass sales of one million vehicles in 1978. In 1986, Toyota produced its first car built on American soil -- the Corolla FX15 -- at the New United Motor Manufacturing, Inc. plant in Fremont, Calif., a joint venture with General Motors. Today, Toyota operates ten plants in eight U.S. states with an eleventh plant under construction in Mississippi.

Who ever said anything about any US sold GM products being built in China?

Did you miss the part about the money they are putting into the plant to build the Hummer H3T? But you are right, they are abandoning the US all together.

Get your facts straight before you say that Japanese companies are not undercutting US companies. On health care provided, pension payments, pay scale, etc. Then there is the manipulation of the Yen to approx. 85% of its value to help Japan export products and parts for products to be assembled here. Then there is product dumping, which has been going on for a very long time.

Here, read this article-
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/04/bu...on&oref=slogin

It isnt enough that they have FAR lower labor costs, they want them even lower than that! What will you say when Toyota starts laying off american workers? It is coming.

Here is another one for you.

http://www.tundraheadquarters.com/bl...ndra-problems/

And dont just read the list at the top, read through the posts. Bed shake, failing tailgates, noisy engines, vibration at highway speeds, illegible instrument clusters, radios that just turn off, trans fluid leaks, torque converter failures, bad wheels, and then the minor issues (HVAC vents that wont stay put, defective/malfunctioning seat belt buzzers,...) I am not even mentioning the cam failures. Keep in mind that it is a Tundra owners forum, so they arent bashing the truck, and I am sure many are just too brainwashed to even complain. They even try to play off some of the issues and make them seem more minor. One poster says he is embarrassed to drive anyone in his truck, but then claims it is twice the truck the Ford is- talk about brainwashed.

Problems like that will probably lead to some more lay offs.

Tundra owners drinkin' the Kool-Aid.
Old 11-01-2007, 04:49 PM
12 Second Club

TOY/the other imports have shills everywhere to help out with their brainwashing of the sheeple, and takeover of our auto industry.
Old 11-01-2007, 05:49 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ChaseSS
dear lord modmotor, give it a rest already. GM to Set Up ResearchCenter in Shanghai!!!!! There are NO PLANS to start building cars in china and ship them here!!!! I don't know why you hate american companies but please tell me why it wouldn't be a good idea to start selling cars in the fastest growing economy?? Your beloved Toyota did that with US (they saw the potential to sell here) so why are you complaining about GM seeing interest in China? Furthermore, I would love to see all those brilliant facts you gave about 'how much Toyota does for our country' in contrast with any other US auto manufacturer, yet alone GM. As much as you want to complain about GM dispersing from American soil, they will always contribute more to this country than Toyota and thats undisputed
Honda, he said, put Union County's little farming community on the map.

"Honda was more or less part of the community starting off," Hines said. "But I'll be honest with you -- I think Honda is the community now."

About 10,000 people work at the Marysville complex. For each job created within Honda, an additional seven jobs are created outside the company, according to "Honda's Economic Impact in Ohio," a study done by an outside firm.

Honda a 'godsend' to the area

The company has helped take Union County's unemployment rate down to 4 percent, according to Eric Philips of the Union County Chamber of Commerce. Before Honda, the unemployment rate was in the double digits.

And all across the county, there are signs of growth. Billboards advertise new real estate; bulldozers prepare the way for new shopping developments.

While growth has come in leaps for towns like Marysville, some of the former northern mainstays of auto manufacturing have seen their fortunes tumble as domestic manufacturers cut back production.

Take Flint, Michigan, for example. General Motors closed its sprawling, 2,900-employee Buick City plant there in 1999. Census Bureau population figures reflected the hit. Flint's population fell 11.6 percent between 1990 and 2000, and was projected to fall even further.

"That was the mainstay of the economy. It sort of pulled the heart out of the town. That's the only way to describe it," said Thomas Klier, a senior economist with the Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago. "It was devastating."

But Philips said Honda, which has invested $6 billion in Ohio, has been a "godsend."

"It's hard to express what they mean to our economy," he said.

Foreign auto manufacturers have been economic angels to other small towns, too. The Toyota plant in Georgetown, Kentucky, provided funds to help build a new high school; the Mercedes plant in Vance, Alabama, has brought nearly 42,000 jobs to the area; BMW has invested more than $2 billion in its Spartanburg, South Carolina, facility. These are just several of many towns that understand what Honda means to Marysville. Learn about foreign auto plants in the U.S. »

Read again
Old 11-01-2007, 06:01 PM
Banned

Who ever said anything about any US sold GM products being built in China?

Did you miss the part about the money they are putting into the plant to build the Hummer H3T? But you are right, they are abandoning the US all together.

Get your facts straight before you say that Japanese companies are not undercutting US companies. On health care provided, pension payments, pay scale, etc. Then there is the manipulation of the Yen to approx. 85% of its value to help Japan export products and parts for products to be assembled here. Then there is product dumping, which has been going on for a very long time.

Here, read this article-
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/04/bu...on&oref=slogin

It isnt enough that they have FAR lower labor costs, they want them even lower than that! What will you say when Toyota starts laying off american workers? It is coming.

Here is another one for you.

http://www.tundraheadquarters.com/bl...ndra-problems/

And dont just read the list at the top, read through the posts. Bed shake, failing tailgates, noisy engines, vibration at highway speeds, illegible instrument clusters, radios that just turn off, trans fluid leaks, torque converter failures, bad wheels, and then the minor issues (HVAC vents that wont stay put, defective/malfunctioning seat belt buzzers,...) I am not even mentioning the cam failures. Keep in mind that it is a Tundra owners forum, so they arent bashing the truck, and I am sure many are just too brainwashed to even complain. They even try to play off some of the issues and make them seem more minor. One poster says he is embarrassed to drive anyone in his truck, but then claims it is twice the truck the Ford is- talk about brainwashed.

Problems like that will probably lead to some more lay offs.

Tundra owners drinkin' the Kool-Aid.
Dude, every truck has problems in their first year. I gave you a link to your beloved Silverado, where it had problems catching on fire.

That list you presented, is not enough to warrant a recall. Plus, alot of trolls are on our site misleading the public into whats actually wrong with the Tundra. Secondly, look at the sales for this month for the Tundra. Wait Ill do it for you:

http://www.pressroom.toyota.com/Rele...T2007110185160

Toyota Division light truck sales were up 3.1 percent, with best-ever October sales of 77,232 units. Light truck sales were led by the all-new Tundra full-size pickup with best-ever October sales of 17,868, an increase 71 percent over the year-ago month. The RAV4 compact sport utility vehicle reported best-ever October sales of 14,636, up 26.2 percent over the same period last year. 4Runner posted sales of 7,196, an increase of 10.8 percent.

F150 sales down 7.5% to 51,741 from 55,947

Titan sales down 12.6% to 5,001 from 5,499:

http://www.nissannews.com/

Silverado sales down 10.6% to 48,716 from 52,409

Sierra sales down 7.4% to 17,417 from 18,080

http://media.gm.com/servlet/GatewayS...74&docid=40878

You see, your the type of person that comes on the Tundra boards listing the problems and promoting negativity(something that you do here as well). As you see, its not working. The sales once again are up, while the Silverado F150 and Sierra is down.

The problems you list are taken care of by Toyota. This is one of the reasons why people are loyal to the #1 profiting car company in the world. 9 times more profitable than GM.

Im not against Domestics, if I were, I wouldnt be picking up my 250 Ford Super Duty tomorrow.

Forgot about the Ram:

http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/st...4695828&EDATE=

Ram sales down 13% to 24,711 from 28,251
Old 11-01-2007, 06:29 PM
14 Second Truck Club

Wink

Dude, every truck has problems in their first year. I gave you a link to your beloved Silverado, where it had problems catching on fire.

That list you presented, is not enough to warrant a recall. Plus, alot of trolls are on our site misleading the public into whats actually wrong with the Tundra.
You see, your the type of person that comes on the Tundra boards listing the problems and promoting negativity(something that you do here as well).

The problems you list are taken care of by Toyota.

Im not against Domestics, if I were, I wouldnt be picking up my 250 Ford Super Duty tomorrow.
You are FUNNY!
I never post on Tundra, or any other foreign boards. I am not a troll like yourself. From the sounds of those posts they sound like very specific problems posted by owners, and the same problems by quite a few.

As far as the problems being taken care of by Toyota- doesnt seem that way for all of them. Reading through those posts seem like they are claiming there is no problem (kind of like you).

And as far as you not being against domestics- Please. I would bet that if you were to take a poll of everyone who reads the BS you spew the very large majority would agree that you are anti-domestic troll.

Go hang out on a Toyota forum and stop coming in here with your **** stirring bull ****. How sad must it be to continually come back with many different screen names after being banned?
Old 11-01-2007, 06:30 PM
14 Second Truck Club

Somebody ban this **** stirring troll for the 10th time already.
Old 11-01-2007, 06:33 PM
Banned

Somebody ban this **** stirring troll for the 10th time already.
Unit is the only one that bands me, but guess what other let me back on.
Old 11-01-2007, 06:35 PM
14 Second Truck Club

Unit is the only one that bands me, but guess what other let me back on.
Nobody lets you back on, you sneak back on. Otherwise you would have one of your old screen names back.

BTW- No wonder the Japanese kid was 4 years ahead of you, you dont know the difference between BAN and BAND.
Old 11-01-2007, 06:38 PM
12 Second Club

Like I said, the import nameplate (especially the TOYboyzz) shills are omnipresent. They just will not rest easy until there is no more U.S. based/owned auto industry.

Quick Reply: GM to Set Up Research Center in Shanghai