Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Nissan R35 GT-R Dyno:

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2007, 12:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bboyferal

To discuss road racing and GT racing, we'd do well to dismiss all these silly ideas of 2k hp milestones, which are nice accomplishments for the drag race teams and for the engine manufacturers, but come on...
Which is the point I'm trying to make here. Anything over about 700hp is completely worthless in anything but a purpose-bred drag or race car, and the GT-R is no Escudo....1000hp is worthless if you're only making it for less than a fraction of a second...

The point is that in the under-600hp range, where most racing events cap thier hp levels at, you simply cannot afford to have any plateaus in the powerband. That fraction of a second could mean the difference between winning or losing.
Old 12-16-2007, 03:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Making up... With 2000 hp you're not "making up." You're surpassing.

In fact, FI is the only way to ever get those numbers easily on any engine, even V8's...

Or are the quickest LS1's NA? Not really...
yes i know but he was comparing a boosted built 4-cylinder with a NA lsx
Old 12-16-2007, 05:05 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by GMmexican
yes i know but he was comparing a boosted built 4-cylinder with a NA lsx
Nobody has said anything about any 4cyls.
Old 12-16-2007, 05:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

well pretty much anything smaller than 3liters
Old 12-16-2007, 10:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by camaro_best
still "Nissan"
i usually hate these kinds of posts, but i kinda agree. but i'm gonna give it the benefit of the doubt and see what kind of tricks nissan uses to make that kind of power reliable. nissan is one of my least favorite automobile companies, especially since many of my friends own them and hate them.

but in any event, you gotta give it to them for building a bad *** car like that
Old 12-16-2007, 10:38 PM
14 Second Truck Club

I am an American car buyer, but of all the import name plates I think Nissan makes the most interesting line of cars from top to bottom. The newer Mazdas are also better looking than they used to be (3 and 6 mainly). Honda and Toyota could take some lessons from their exterior design departments.

But this car is just flat out overdone (and kinda ugly) IMO. Its a nice flagship performance car for them regardless of what the actual numbers end up being. Now they need a full size sedan.
Old 12-17-2007, 09:15 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by mzoomora
I am an American car buyer, but of all the import name plates I think Nissan makes the most interesting line of cars from top to bottom. The newer Mazdas are also better looking than they used to be (3 and 6 mainly). Honda and Toyota could take some lessons from their exterior design departments.

But this car is just flat out overdone (and kinda ugly) IMO. Its a nice flagship performance car for them regardless of what the actual numbers end up being. Now they need a full size sedan.
maxima is their fullsize and it sells well enough for them not to care. i think the styling sucks as well but i can't hate on that kind of performance. i also understand styling and sellability has taken precedence over build quality which sucks cause their cars ride pretty well also. look at the new altima too, it has some awesome features.
Old 12-17-2007, 12:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

My problem with Nissan today is that they look great...then you go to touch them and all you feel is Dodge Neon-grade plastics and paint. Then you look underneath and the exhaust isn't mandrel bent and has clamps(!) holding it together instead of being one piece. Then you go in the engine bay and everything screams cheap in the same way cheap tools do when set side to side with Mac or Snap-on....

I've always liked Nissan, but their new styling(Renaults fault...) looks like ****. When I think badass Nissan I think 300ZX or GT-R34, or even the original Maxima, not the jelly bean Versa or Sentra...
Old 12-17-2007, 01:40 PM
TECH Junkie

I agree that Nissan's styling took a plunge after the 300ZX.
Old 12-17-2007, 03:58 PM
TECH Addict

I agree that Nissan's styling took a plunge after the 300ZX.
but its extremely marketable. and thats what matters.
Old 12-17-2007, 05:56 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by camaro_best
still "Nissan"
http://twinturbo.net/net/viewmsg.asp...msg_id=2079707

Nissan owns some of the nicest sports cars ever made. I would venture to say that, Nissan also has more sports cars in racing programs over the last 25years than Chevy!

280z
240z
300z
350z
skyline r32-34
gtr
etc...

As you can see in the pics, the majority of these cars were not sold in the states but sold everywhere else.

Nissan has a huge following not only in the States, but in Australia, Germany, Japan, etc.....
Old 12-17-2007, 06:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Welcome troll! Shouldn't you be at a Nissan site worshipping something right now?

Nissan may have a lot of racing cars, but as does GM, you obviously just rattled off the datsun cars you know.
I take it you never looked east of Japan before have you? It's really comical because an informed auto enthusiast would have researched a little on his competition. Like the fact that every remote performance GM car has seen duty in some sanctioned racing series of some kind.
Trans Am series (not the car, the racing series) the World Challenge Series, a smorgasbord of SCCA and NASA racing series, a host of FIA GT leagues; GT1,2, and 3, NASCAR, and the many numerous Aussie leagues, even rally racing.

Oh yea, your precious R390 is the sux0r

Last edited by OKcruising; 12-17-2007 at 06:20 PM.
Old 12-17-2007, 06:45 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by OKcruising
Welcome troll! Shouldn't you be at a Nissan site worshipping something right now?

Nissan may have a lot of racing cars, but as does GM, you obviously just rattled off the datsun cars you know.
I take it you never looked east of Japan before have you? It's really comical because an informed auto enthusiast would have researched a little on his competition. Like the fact that every remote performance GM car has seen duty in some sanctioned racing series of some kind.
Trans Am series (not the car, the racing series) the World Challenge Series, a smorgasbord of SCCA and NASA racing series, a host of FIA GT leagues; GT1,2, and 3, NASCAR, and the many numerous Aussie leagues, even rally racing.

Oh yea, your precious R390 is the sux0r

Please dont take offense to my post since it wasnt meant to be offensive. The point Im trying to add is that, no one particular brand is better than the other. Every major manufactor offers a car/truck that someone is pleased with. Nissan/Datsun whomever you wish to call it, can be identified as a sucessful marketeer that has brought to us many rare race breeds.

The Corvette is the only successful GM brand in the last 25 years when it comes to racing. Nissan offers/offered the GTR, Silvia, 300zx, 350z, R390 etc....
Old 12-17-2007, 06:56 PM
14 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by 5.9cum!
http://twinturbo.net/net/viewmsg.asp...msg_id=2079707

Nissan owns some of the nicest sports cars ever made. I would venture to say that, Nissan also has more sports cars in racing programs over the last 25years than Chevy!

280z
240z
300z
350z
skyline r32-34
gtr
etc...

As you can see in the pics, the majority of these cars were not sold in the states but sold everywhere else.

Nissan has a huge following not only in the States, but in Australia, Germany, Japan, etc.....
Welcome back Chrissy. You waited a while to come back this time, huh?
Old 12-17-2007, 08:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 5.9cum!
Please dont take offense to my post since it wasnt meant to be offensive. The point Im trying to add is that, no one particular brand is better than the other. Every major manufactor offers a car/truck that someone is pleased with. Nissan/Datsun whomever you wish to call it, can be identified as a sucessful marketeer that has brought to us many rare race breeds.

The Corvette is the only successful GM brand in the last 25 years when it comes to racing. Nissan offers/offered the GTR, Silvia, 300zx, 350z, R390 etc....
Yeah I guess that's why they ran Camaro's for the IROC races huh?

Opel was moderately successful in the rally world, Vauxhall races their cars regularly...

Cadllac does a great job at both P1 races and SCCA competitions...

Pontiac is racing in GT class races successfully enough...

Of course, Corvette eats all comers...

Holden has been a major leader in motorsports since their conception...

Nissan only really does particularly well in racing around the world if the car is a Skyline GT-R. The rest you mentioned were pretty ****-poor racers bar the Datsun 240ZX. Also, you gotta realize that there are races outside of Japan that matter. I know Nissan does very well in Japan, but most of the rest of the world doesn't compete in the Japanese races, Dodge being one of the few notable exceptions. Even still, I'd put up a C5-R or C6-R against the comparable class Nissan anyday and fully expect the Datsun to lose its *** and drop out of the race....

So really, Chris, I think it would be best if you followed redbeautyZX's example and state your opinions without assume absolute truth to your own statements, instead using proof and fair discussion.

*waits for modmotor moderator to remove 5.9cum/pssonu/25/45psi from board...*
Old 12-17-2007, 09:03 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mzoomora
Welcome back Chrissy.
Oh yes...the ever so predictable Nissan lover. I was waiting for you
Chris.

Old 12-17-2007, 09:21 PM
TECH Junkie

I like the new GTR and 350Z. But...

I really wish GM would make an AWD LS9 prototype. This GTR will be sweet...but it does not have the potential that an LSX has. AWD and a SC 6.2 liter would be flat evil in the quarter mile.

W
Old 12-17-2007, 09:46 PM
14 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by unit213
Oh yes...the ever so predictable Nissan lover. I was waiting for you
Chris.

If it weren't for the fact, that he uses commas, where he doesn't need them, and always includes a link, in every post, I might no have even known.
Old 12-17-2007, 11:21 PM
TECH Junkie

They need to sell it under Infinites name to get the rich people to buy it, well more of them anyways

More higher class sound to it, then just a nissan
Old 12-18-2007, 12:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Hydramatic

Just something about it being only a 3.8L V6 kinda bothers me....not much room for growth there, but power is indeed coming in smaller packages these days...
I think this is just a reterded statment. Engine size is nearly irrelevant with forced induction when talking about maximm power capabilities. My 2.4l ******* makes almost as much power on pump gas as the fully built 400+ cube lsx cars. Just look at what kind of power the Supra's turn out and remember this is almst 30% more motor.
Smaller motors just need to be revved more. The nature of a dynapack also makes the graph more peaky as it is so compact.

While the shape of the torque curve means absolutely nothing in terms of "asking for more boost" it's a no brainer to say it will make silly power with a turbo swap and fueling. I have also seen zero information as to how much power the turbos will support or their physical size, but the driving impressions seem to indicate the use of very small turbos. The stock turbos certainly won't priduce 600whp.
I definately havn't heard anyone saying the drivetrain will be bullettproof, as that is the big question mark. The maintenence program requires a yearly inspection of the box on a stock car. That doesn't leave a good taste in my mouth if I was intending to go nuts with one, nor does the fact that a replacem,ent tranny costs $14k.

Last edited by nanokpsi; 12-18-2007 at 08:26 PM.

Quick Reply: Nissan R35 GT-R Dyno: