Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Road&Track test C6 Z06 vs GTR vs 911 turbo

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 01:37 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2000Hawk
You know i first suspected that when i saw the user only had 3 posts at the time, and that they just tossed in the link and DISCUSS, as if saying how the GTR faired better on the track than the Z. But he hasn't said anything to start trouble as of yet, so im going to just give them the benefit of the doubt.
-Joel
Yeah, I suspected Pissy as well.

But he seemed to 'play nice' so far so I also gave the benefit of the doubt, and did not bring this suspicion up.

I would not be suprised though.
Old 03-20-2008, 03:46 PM
Banned

Has anyone seen the dyno of where a stock GTR made 482 wheel horsepower on a dynapack. I don't know the correction factor but i imagine crank horsepower is somewhere around 550

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3590185
Old 03-20-2008, 06:48 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by castillo
GTR is on run flats as well.

Only thing Im amazed by are the 1/4 mile times for all the cars. Seems as though all where alot slower than usual. Can anyone agree?

From what Ive read on other forums, the GTR simply seems to amaze everyone.
Totally different compounds.

And the times were all in the high 11's. Right where they always are in the mags.
Old 03-20-2008, 06:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Got some Michlen meats on my TA for the wife with the new rims and they do seem to hook pretty well. Seem to be an overall nice tire, even in the rain where I would have trouble hooking with my old Toyo Proxes 4 these have little to no problem.

Granted I am running about half of what the ZR-1 is running, I think it will be better than the good years that were on the Z06 cars.

Nissan has done their homework and it shows. Is the Porsche AWD? Not up on a lot of them so not exactly sure where it stands with tires that are driven.
Old 03-20-2008, 10:37 PM
TECH Junkie

GTR did it... Nuff said.

The ZR1 is not what was tested... Let's not be fanboys...

The closer the GTR gets to our shores, the worse it looks for the C6 Z06 as king of the under $100k GT's... I can't wait for the ZR1 to own everybody, but between these cars, we all owe the GTR some acknowledgment as a blazingly fast track road car for the price.

Kudos,

P.S. I can't wait to destroy one on the long stretched highway.
Old 03-20-2008, 11:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

the GTR will be a force to be reckoned with, don't like the looks, maybe its better in person... but we will see what the car does when it actually gets here
Old 03-21-2008, 08:38 AM
TECH Veteran

I agree with the sentiment above. The GTR is an amazing car and piece of engineering and it demonstrates Japan's absolute best. It's one Japanese car I would be proud to own.
Old 03-21-2008, 10:36 AM
TECH Addict

Pass.
Old 03-21-2008, 11:29 AM
TECH Regular

"I'll take a normally aspirated engine over a turbo any day, at least when it's this good. The Z06's engine has crazy power all the time, at any rpm, in any gear. And the sounds...come on, it's an American V-8, need I say more? It's the kind of power you can truly call 'neck-snapping,'"
Yes, indeed.
Old 03-21-2008, 03:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Sounds good, pulls good, and it's an American V8, but it wasn't enough to outlap the GTR.
Old 03-21-2008, 03:13 PM
Banned

I'd take that TT V6 over the LS7. Just wait till they **** with the programming and up the boost or even swap the turbo's.
Old 03-21-2008, 03:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Nice car.
Old 03-21-2008, 04:20 PM
TECH Addict

Obviously the TT 6 from the GTR is going to accept better mods than the LS7. Anything with forced induction makes big power quick when you change anything from the factory. Everything after bolt ons and a cam for the LS7 is expensive, that why alot of people see the GTR as awesome because the aftermarket is going to make tons of crazy stuff for it. Now we just got to wait and see how the GTR accepts mods.
-Joel
Old 03-21-2008, 05:02 PM
Banned

Obviously the TT 6 from the GTR is going to accept better mods than the LS7. Anything with forced induction makes big power quick when you change anything from the factory. Everything after bolt ons and a cam for the LS7 is expensive, that why alot of people see the GTR as awesome because the aftermarket is going to make tons of crazy stuff for it. Now we just got to wait and see how the GTR accepts mods.
-Joel
Mines or Amuse made 580hp with the exhaust and ecu upgrade.
Old 03-21-2008, 05:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by castillo
Mines or Amuse made 580hp with the exhaust and ecu upgrade.
blah blah blah. Neither company sells to Americans.

You would have to buy a J-spec GTR, get it tuned for hideously overpriced tuning fees in Japan, and then IMPORT it over on a ship. What a bitch to get 60hp...

With the Z06 you go downtown to your speed or dyno shop and can bump it up to tuned GTR-slaying numbers for THOUSANDS LESS OVERALL.

And on top of it all....the GTR will NEVER look as much like a true sportscar as the Corvette....EVER. Every single model Corvette ever made looks faster and sexier than the GTR. Don't get me wrong, though, I think the GTR is a really good looking car for a GT COUPE, but it is no sportscar. Case in point: most sportscars eventually come in a convertible or removable panel version. You will never see either on the GTR because it would be comprimising Nissan's theory on performance.

A sportscar is more about the whole package than just pure performance.
Old 03-21-2008, 07:08 PM
TECH Addict

Well i believe Mines put an exhaust on one and it put down like 500awhp, i may be wrong could be a bit more or less. But i know that when they went to add on an intake the computer took a **** on them. Im sure its only a matter of time untill someone goes ahead and cracks the ecu in the GTR same way they did with the Corvettes. Thing is though turbo cars and even supercharged cars do very very well to mods. Look at the 03/04 Cobras and the 93-97 Twin Turbo Toyota Supras, after a few bolt ons your putting down some pretty serious power compared to cars that all motor. So when it comes down to adding mods so far i believe from what has happened with past cars the GTr has the upper hand over the Z06. And remember in a turbo car after doing a few mods, it only takes the turn of a **** if you have a boost controller to bring up the power.
-Joel
Old 03-21-2008, 07:44 PM
Banned

Well i believe Mines put an exhaust on one and it put down like 500awhp, i may be wrong could be a bit more or less. But i know that when they went to add on an intake the computer took a **** on them. Im sure its only a matter of time untill someone goes ahead and cracks the ecu in the GTR same way they did with the Corvettes. Thing is though turbo cars and even supercharged cars do very very well to mods. Look at the 03/04 Cobras and the 93-97 Twin Turbo Toyota Supras, after a few bolt ons your putting down some pretty serious power compared to cars that all motor. So when it comes down to adding mods so far i believe from what has happened with past cars the GTr has the upper hand over the Z06. And remember in a turbo car after doing a few mods, it only takes the turn of a **** if you have a boost controller to bring up the power.
-Joel
Just read the new Car&Driver and they where able to run a 11.5 at 124mph in the GTR. I think alot of the magazine do not want to be liable for launching an awd car correctly. 124mph trap, is an amazing display power/speed for a car weighing 3800lbs.
Old 03-21-2008, 08:57 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Hydramatic
blah blah blah. Neither company sells to Americans.
LoL um...yes they do.
Old 03-21-2008, 11:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

-Joel

its true that forced induction will always accept mods better than NA, but most race cars prefer NA because of the reliability. modded FI cars will suffer more on the track, mainly because of heat. Naturally aspirated cars have a better powerband too, hince the 911's weakness. I would take a 550whp NA car over a 600whp FI car any day and 550whp isn't out of reach of a modded LS7.
Old 03-22-2008, 03:28 AM
TECH Addict

Yeah but you just said it "race cars", imagine you add bolt ons, a good fuel system, and up the boost on the GTR. That sucker is going to ******* fly, and for alot cheaper than if you did heads and cam on a Z06. 550rwhp is easily attainable on a Z but your going to spend a good amount of money on it. I think once you pass 600rwhp on a Z with heads and cam your already pushing past the driveability stage. Then again this is my opinion i could be wrong, but i believe the LS7 is already tapped out to a certain point that only a few mods will help and your done. The GTR has its amazing 1/4mile times because of its AWD system and thats obvious. I agree the all motor LS7 has a wicked power band, hence the reason it had the highest mph than either of the other 2, and its rwd as well which helps it in the long run. I honestly would rather have the 600rwhp FI car then the 550 NA any day. Yeah more than likely the NA has a wicked power band, but what if the FI was equipped with something like a magnacharger. That FI is going to make some serious power down low, and still have the power up top to keep the NA at bay.
-Joel

Quick Reply: Road&Track test C6 Z06 vs GTR vs 911 turbo