Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Road&Track test C6 Z06 vs GTR vs 911 turbo

http://www.roadandtrack.com/article....rticle_id=6594

Discuss!
Old 03-19-2008, 06:10 PM
TECH Addict

They all did very well, but then again i ain't that good with track times and numbers.
-Joel
Old 03-19-2008, 06:14 PM

Received 161 Likes on 99 Posts

My favorite quote.

" This just goes to show that although the Corvette couldn't get off the line as quickly as its awd competitors, once it got going, nothing here could touch it. "
Old 03-19-2008, 06:28 PM
TECH Addict

I thought that was pretty good also, thing is all the cars shined in different areas. The Porsche i have no idea, the GTR was head of the class on the track, and the Corvette was king when began to move. Obviously the GTR wouldn't be sh*t if it didn't have the AWD, and the Corvette wouldn't have competed had it not been a Z06. And on what i think, the Corvette was the only true sports car there it was a 2 seater not a 2+2.
-Joel
Old 03-19-2008, 06:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So a 4000lb Nissan outperfomed a Ferrari Enzo in the slalom!?

I like how the GTR only trapped 116MPH.
Old 03-19-2008, 06:56 PM
14 Second Truck Club

Impressive numbers for sure. I wonder if this was actually a production spec model though or one that may have been "tweaked" because they knew it was going to be tested. It has been done before. True production models should be here soon enough and in the hands of consumers, things will be interesting then.
Old 03-19-2008, 07:08 PM
11 Second Club

If only the ZO6 wasn't on run flats.
Old 03-19-2008, 07:37 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by SSNISTR
If only the ZO6 wasn't on run flats.
GTR is on run flats as well.

Only thing Im amazed by are the 1/4 mile times for all the cars. Seems as though all where alot slower than usual. Can anyone agree?

From what Ive read on other forums, the GTR simply seems to amaze everyone.
Old 03-19-2008, 07:42 PM
TECH Addict

Honestly in the past prior to it coming out i thought it was garbage, now it just gives Chevrolet something to actually beat on. Ok we aren't to far off with RWD and 505Hp, maybe they will up the power to 550 or something. Either way we have the ZR1, and so far nothing on the street or on paper is going to be able to play with it. Yeah i still don't understand how a car that weighs so much can pull off times like that, but it shows what you can do with all sorts of technology. Me i prefer the all motor power of the Z06, just straight brute force that doesn't need any help. Forced induction helps alot greatly especially when you want to make a bunch of power and still have street realiability. Look at the ZR1 again supercharged 6.2L, yeah it would have been awesome to have a supercharged 7.0L, or even just one big motor like in the C6RS. But at what point will driveability be given up for power. The guys on the nissan band wagon are going to have a field day with this car, twin turbo awd. The aftermarket is going to flourish with parts for this car, and if they figure out how to keep the computer from crapping on itself it should work great with mods. But then just imagine what the Zr1 is going to be capable of with some aftermarket parts and a pulley change. For the next few years prior to the CAFE bullshit, things are going to get very interesting.
-Joel

**Of course the GTR is going to amaze everyone, alot of people see the GTR as a sort of god since all we mostly got were vids of really modded ones from across the globe. Don't get me wrong it is pretty amazing, i love the driver information thing on the dash looks like something out of the ******* space shuttle. But i feel alot of people are just getting excited about this car for what the GTR name has symbolized over the past 15-15years rather than what the car really is. Also remember even though the GTR is on run flats, its already AWD so handling is going to be far superior to that of a RWD car. Especially if they are both on run flats, the AWD is going to assist the car. Unlike the Z06 with its ton of low end power the run flats may become more of a problem.**
Old 03-19-2008, 07:44 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by JayplaySS2
My favorite quote.

" This just goes to show that although the Corvette couldn't get off the line as quickly as its awd competitors, once it got going, nothing here could touch it. "
I dont think anyone ever disputed the Z06 being faster in a straight line. Everyone's concern or should I say doubt, was the overall performance aspect of the gtr. I think this should silence alot of the critics.
Old 03-19-2008, 08:08 PM
11 Second Club

bottom line the gtr is one hell of a car
Old 03-19-2008, 08:14 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 2000Hawk
Honestly in the past prior to it coming out i thought it was garbage, now it just gives Chevrolet something to actually beat on. Ok we aren't to far off with RWD and 505Hp, maybe they will up the power to 550 or something. Either way we have the ZR1, and so far nothing on the street or on paper is going to be able to play with it. Yeah i still don't understand how a car that weighs so much can pull off times like that, but it shows what you can do with all sorts of technology. Me i prefer the all motor power of the Z06, just straight brute force that doesn't need any help. Forced induction helps alot greatly especially when you want to make a bunch of power and still have street realiability. Look at the ZR1 again supercharged 6.2L, yeah it would have been awesome to have a supercharged 7.0L, or even just one big motor like in the C6RS. But at what point will driveability be given up for power. The guys on the nissan band wagon are going to have a field day with this car, twin turbo awd. The aftermarket is going to flourish with parts for this car, and if they figure out how to keep the computer from crapping on itself it should work great with mods. But then just imagine what the Zr1 is going to be capable of with some aftermarket parts and a pulley change. For the next few years prior to the CAFE bullshit, things are going to get very interesting.
-Joel

**Of course the GTR is going to amaze everyone, alot of people see the GTR as a sort of god since all we mostly got were vids of really modded ones from across the globe. Don't get me wrong it is pretty amazing, i love the driver information thing on the dash looks like something out of the ******* space shuttle. But i feel alot of people are just getting excited about this car for what the GTR name has symbolized over the past 15-15years rather than what the car really is. Also remember even though the GTR is on run flats, its already AWD so handling is going to be far superior to that of a RWD car. Especially if they are both on run flats, the AWD is going to assist the car. Unlike the Z06 with its ton of low end power the run flats may become more of a problem.**

Excellent post!

Only thing I dispute are the official numbers of the ZR1. I feel we're at the limits of what a rwd vehicle can do safely. Given the 5 sec lap difference in the GTR vs Z06, its only inevitable that GM change the 50/50 weight distribution here shortly.

Although the ZR1 should be quite a-bit faster than the Z06, I feel as though it wont(talking track wise). Sending 650lbft and close to 650hp, will be a challenging task to say the least, especially on a small tight course.
Old 03-19-2008, 08:23 PM
11 Second Club

I saw a track test video of the ZR1 on youtube. I thought the same as you. No way are they going to be able to hook that power out of a corner on the vette's platform. Damn was I wrong. That thing was absolutely railing the corners and seemed like it had a rocket booster on the straightaways lol.

As for the GTR, it's an awesome car no doubt. But I don't care for THAT much technology. Reading 1 magazines review of it on the ring's short course it sounded like all the driver did was press a button and hang on.

ZR1 with a pulley change and some R compound tires.... sex in a carbon fiber wrapper.
Old 03-19-2008, 08:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by FMX05
ZR1 with a pulley change and some R compound tires.... sex in a carbon fiber wrapper.
Amen!!
Old 03-19-2008, 08:35 PM
TECH Addict

^ LMAO nice way of putting it.
-Joel
Old 03-19-2008, 08:37 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by CJ Hungus
Amen!!
Next 2-3 years will be extremely exciting. With the V-spec coming out and the ZR-1, this could be interesting. Damn I need to start saving .
Old 03-19-2008, 11:59 PM
TECH Addict

I love the DIC in the GTR, like i said in my previous post that **** is ******* cool. What alot of people have to remember is the GTR has been under development for a while, so im sure they got many if not all of the bases covered. And remember guys the Z06 was a big thing when it first came out, obviously GM wasn't going to get everything right. So the ZR1 in a way would be the perfection of the Z06, they realized ok we are going to be putting even more power down lets try to make this car handle even better than the last. Basically everything is trial and error, same way with the different generations of cars. You take the C5 Z06 they look at it how can we make it better, they go ahead and throw at us the C6 Z06. Then when that is said and done, well what can we do with $100K? Then they go ahead and throw and even greater vehicle in the ZR1, well from what we know so far.
-Joel
Old 03-20-2008, 12:06 AM
TECH Junkie

I think Castillo maybe one of our little buddies with a new screen name.

W
Old 03-20-2008, 01:48 AM
TECH Addict

You know i first suspected that when i saw the user only had 3 posts at the time, and that they just tossed in the link and DISCUSS, as if saying how the GTR faired better on the track than the Z. But he hasn't said anything to start trouble as of yet, so im going to just give them the benefit of the doubt.
-Joel
Old 03-20-2008, 01:33 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by castillo
GTR is on run flats as well.
From what Ive read on other forums, the GTR simply seems to amaze everyone.
Maybe so. But I can almost guarantee that they are still substantially stickier than the Supercars on the Z06.
Without exception in the recent past, Bridgestone/the Nippon performance car manufacturers have always put the stickiest rubber on thier rides (to look superior in tests,etc.), tire wear/tire wear ratings be damned!!
Whereas Goodyear/domestic performance car manufacturers have always erred in favor of less tire wear (at the cost of grip) due to not wanting to have to deal with customer gripes about tires being gone at <5K miles!
Hopefully, with the Pilot runflats on the ZR1, they erred on the side of grip for once (even with crazy wear, IF one can afford a $100K+ ride, they CAN afford to replace tires often).
The ONLY way to fairly test these cars' handling is to put them ALL on the SAME EXACT COMPOUND/MANUFACTURER'S tire (albeit in different sizes)!!!!!

Which forums, exactly, are you referring to regarding this universal "amazement" of the GTR??

Quick Reply: Road&Track test C6 Z06 vs GTR vs 911 turbo