Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Road&Track test C6 Z06 vs GTR vs 911 turbo

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 09:22 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by castillo
Just read the new Car&Driver and they where able to run a 11.5 at 124mph in the GTR. I think alot of the magazine do not want to be liable for launching an awd car correctly. 124mph trap, is an amazing display power/speed for a car weighing 3800lbs.
124mph trap speeds in a 3900lb car with only 500bhp give or take a few. So Car and Driver was able to pick up 8mph in the quarter in a stock car. You are a retard if you believe that. GT500's dyno around 450rwhp stock and weigh around the same and dont trap that high. Road and track just tested them and the GTR was no where near the C6Z trap speed.

I am so sick of hearing all this ******* fan boy bench racing **** about what this car will do. The car is a great street going track car which is what it was built for. We will know soon enough and trap with a C6Z as you are stating is something it will not do. Mark my words.
Old 03-22-2008, 09:52 AM
TECH Junkie

If you're planning on drag racing these cars after purchasing them, the slightly higher trap speed of the Z06 does indicate it is, of course, a faster car on the straight... Who the hell is arguing this and why?

There's more to going around a road course than a quarter mile strip's trap speed.... The GTR was designed for that, not drag racing lol.
Old 03-22-2008, 09:59 AM
TECH Junkie

I'm a Z06 fan through and through, and I prefer the Z06 for its "subjective" qualities, viz. I prefer its looks, style, configuration, etc.

Performance testing says otherwise on which is a better GT... The GTR is the faster GT, plain and simple... And some people (not me!) like the way it looks to boot... Of course they're going to love this car... There's little to detract from it, and regarding performance there's NOTHING you can take away from it.

And yes, for the highway racers, there's incredible mod potential like there was for the Cobra Terminator V8's and the 2JZ's... More than any NA motor.
Old 03-22-2008, 10:02 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by big reg
I am so sick of hearing all this ******* fan boy bench racing **** about what this car will do. The car is a great street going track car which is what it was built for.
I agree with this... We don't know yet because it can't be properly tuned yet, like the new Vipers.

Let's just appreciate what we know it does NOW, without the bench racing... We can predict what the mod market will be LIKE, but it's more realistic to discuss stock vs. stock, which is what we have now well documented.
Old 03-22-2008, 11:19 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by big reg
124mph trap speeds in a 3900lb car with only 500bhp give or take a few. So Car and Driver was able to pick up 8mph in the quarter in a stock car. You are a retard if you believe that. GT500's dyno around 450rwhp stock and weigh around the same and dont trap that high. Road and track just tested them and the GTR was no where near the C6Z trap speed.

I am so sick of hearing all this ******* fan boy bench racing **** about what this car will do. The car is a great street going track car which is what it was built for. We will know soon enough and trap with a C6Z as you are stating is something it will not do. Mark my words.
Road&Track has the slowest mph out of the 5 magazine that have tested the GTR. Edmunds clocked a 11.6 at 121.5 and Fifth Gear ran a 11.7 at 122.

Its widely excepted that knowone wants the liability to launch an AWD correctly, just for the sake of a time. I dont think anyone knows the capabilites of the tranny in the new GTR. Therefore there will be a wide array of times.

Its ok for "Magazines" to run a 11.7 at 123 for a Z06, but when Ranger runs a 129mph, its somehow excepted!
Old 03-22-2008, 11:35 AM
14 Second Truck Club

Road&Track has the slowest mph out of the 5 magazine that have tested the GTR. Edmunds clocked a 11.6 at 121.5 and Fifth Gear ran a 11.7 at 122.

Its widely excepted that knowone wants the liability to launch an AWD correctly, just for the sake of a time. I dont think anyone knows the capabilites of the tranny in the new GTR. Therefore there will be a wide array of times.

Its ok for "Magazines" to run a 11.7 at 123 for a Z06, but when Ranger runs a 129mph, its somehow excepted!
Actually I have read a few reviews where people have used the launch control, so they must be launching it "correctly". There is the chance that the car is showing what it has in the hands of a magazine driver, and that is all that it has. From what they are saying the launch control is very aggressive and this is a heavy car, this could be all you are going to see from mag drivers.

And as far as Ranger and the other guy who actually ran slightly better, it is a different animal. AWD is less subject to driving style and technique where RWD you are dealing with wheel spin, clutch and throttle modulation, etc. I expect to see a great driver do much better than a mag driver in one of those cars. In a car with factory launch control I would expect much less variance.
Old 03-22-2008, 12:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RedBeauty84ZX
LoL um...yes they do.
Really? Where is their closest shop then? I live in Texas, there is no Mine's or Amuse within a thousand miles....
Old 03-22-2008, 01:14 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by mzoomora
Actually I have read a few reviews where people have used the launch control, so they must be launching it "correctly". There is the chance that the car is showing what it has in the hands of a magazine driver, and that is all that it has. From what they are saying the launch control is very aggressive and this is a heavy car, this could be all you are going to see from mag drivers.

And as far as Ranger and the other guy who actually ran slightly better, it is a different animal. AWD is less subject to driving style and technique where RWD you are dealing with wheel spin, clutch and throttle modulation, etc. I expect to see a great driver do much better than a mag driver in one of those cars. In a car with factory launch control I would expect much less variance.
AGREED!
Also, as far as "knowing what they will do stock for stock" especially quoting the 'Ring ****, we DO NOT know for fact that the GTR's times were not with a "'Ring ringer", and exactly which tires were on the thing.
Again, for the trillionth time; until someone goes into a dealership and randomly buys one of each off of the showroom floor, puts them on equal compound tires, and has (a) driver(s) of EQUAL skill take laps around your sacred 'Ring, with almost NO time between those laps, we will NEVER know!!!!
Unless this is done I put VERY little creedence/faith in "official" 'Ring times (for EITHER camp).
Old 03-22-2008, 01:16 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by dailydriver
AGREED!
Also, as far as "knowing what they will do stock for stock" especially quoting the 'Ring ****, we DO NOT know for fact that the GTR's times were not with a "'Ring ringer", and exactly which tires were on the thing.
Again, for the trillionth time; until someone goes into a dealership and randomly buys one of each off of the showroom floor, puts them on equal compound tires, and has (a) driver(s) of EQUAL skill take laps around your sacred 'Ring, with almost NO time between those laps, we will NEVER know!!!!
Unless this is done I put VERY little creedence/faith in "official" 'Ring times (for EITHER camp).
Seems to me the Ring times where right on point, with what Road&Track tested against GTR vs Z06.
Old 03-22-2008, 01:59 PM
14 Second Truck Club

Seems to me the Ring times where right on point, with what Road&Track tested against GTR vs Z06.
I dont even care about tires as long as they are the stock production tires, but comparing a pre-production car to a current production car is not apples-apples. There are no current production, off the showroom floor, US spec GT-R's out there yet. Magazines have been given ringers before by manufacturers (Remember the Lightning/Vette comparison? As well as a few others), who is to say they havent been this time. I am STILL waiting for an actual production car comparison, and I expect the GT-R to do very well, but it hasnt happened yet.
The true test will come when the aftermarket based magazines get their hands on them, not the MT and C&D crowd. Before and after mod tests, etc, on cars that are not supplied by the manufacturers. Even MM's&FF's got a 12.9 out of a LS1 Z28 bone stock. Those guys are usually better drivers and true enthusiasts who are working with actual off the showroom floor cars.
Old 03-22-2008, 06:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Good points, but to play devil's advocate:

What happens when US Spec, showroom floor, GTR's produce the same winning results in a road course against the comparably priced GT's? Would this be enough evidence for us?
Old 03-22-2008, 07:01 PM
14 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by bboyferal
Good points, but to play devil's advocate:

What happens when US Spec, showroom floor, GTR's produce the same winning results in a road course against the comparably priced GT's? Would this be enough evidence for us?
Definitely would be enough for me. I dont think there is a comparably priced GT that will be able to hang, but the Corvette isnt a GT.

I am not doubting that the GT-R will do very well, I am just stating the facts as I see them.
Old 03-22-2008, 08:08 PM
TECH Junkie

that's reasonable
Old 03-22-2008, 08:10 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Hydramatic
Really? Where is their closest shop then? I live in Texas, there is no Mine's or Amuse within a thousand miles....
There are plenty of distributors of Mines and Amuse aftermarket parts here in the US.
Old 03-22-2008, 11:42 PM
On The Tree

Who care's about curves?
Old 03-23-2008, 12:09 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by crmartin99
Who care's about curves?
People who spend over $50k for the price of a car.
Old 03-23-2008, 12:38 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by crmartin99
Who care's about curves?
Obviously you dont since you purchased a Firehawk. Anyways, 1/4 mile racing, is 2% of the total sport. Majority of racing outside the US, is consumed of Rallying, F1, Autocross, Roadracing, etc.....
Old 03-23-2008, 01:00 AM
TECH Junkie

Obviously you dont since you purchased a Firehawk. Anyways, 1/4 mile racing, is 2% of the total sport. Majority of racing outside the US, is consumed of Rallying, F1, Autocross, Roadracing, etc.....
Wow, your response is as stupid as was his comment.

I could have purchased a Toyota Prius and still care about the world of racing.

I purchased a Trans Am and a 3000GT... So, I guess I don't care about curves either.

Not all of us plan to run the cars we own on autocrosses or road courses... Some of us just want to visit the drag strip once in a while, as do many Nissan, Toyota, and Mitsubishi enthusiasts... I guess people that purchased Supras, DSM's, etc. and drag race don't care? He may not care, but it has nothing to do with his purchase of a Firehawk.

BTW, road racing is important in the US as well. In fact, in the sports car class, we are the best at it.

And in the Prototype class, it's held up by Europe mostly, still no Japan...

So, technically, Japan only shines in Rally.

Please don't tell me you're counting JGTC or Japan Super GT since it's such a little fish in the pond race... I was thinking more "around the world" racing as you posted the "majority outside the US..." a la "Le Mans." Where's Nissan there? GM actually HAS an "outside the US" presence in sports car racing today.

F1 I'll give ya, with a strong presence by the varied "world's" automakers... But isn't this thread about sports cars?
Old 03-23-2008, 01:33 AM
Banned

Ill see if I can scan it.

May Car&Driver results:

0-60 in 3.3 seconds
0-100 in 7.9 seconds
Quarter in 11.5 seconds @ 124

Run on the Dunlop high performance tires (base model)

Stock US spec GT-R with 3,600+ miles on the odo
Old 03-23-2008, 02:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

I was waiting for it! but damn it took longer than I thought for you to bash on domestics... just couldn't resist could ya chrissy?

Quick Reply: Road&Track test C6 Z06 vs GTR vs 911 turbo