Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

MotorTrend GTR acceleration tests...

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2008, 10:12 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RedBeauty84ZX
Yeah the GTR is actualy making about 500-510HP so being about 20-30HP underrated. Sounds a lot like the LS1 Fbodys
heres the dyno run of the skyline and it says around 430.6 hp and 425.3 ft/lb to the wheels
http://www.motortrend.com/av/roadtes..._GT-R_dyno_run

and the z06 made 450.8 hp and 424.9 ft/lb on this one (motortrend didnt have one other than supercharged)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqYzRRJtcGw

another that made 449.6 hp and 418.5 ft/lb
http://videos.streetfire.net/video/C...rwtq_65069.htm

so i think that they are both fast but the z06 is faster
Old 04-05-2008, 10:23 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by my bandit
heres the dyno run of the skyline and it says around 430.6 hp and 425.3 ft/lb to the wheels

and the z06 made 450.8 hp and 424.9 ft/lb on this one (motortrend didnt have one other than supercharged)

Woopty dooo you can't accurately compare dynos without all the variables being constant. The GTR has made up to 480WHP on other dynos stock as well....
Old 04-05-2008, 10:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Woopty dooo you can't accurately compare dynos without all the variables being constant. The GTR has made up to 480WHP on other dynos stock as well....
well then post the vids up. i would love to see them.
Old 04-05-2008, 10:43 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by my bandit

15% drivetrain losses for awd? IDIOTS... It's a good 25% loss.

430.6 X 1.25 = 538.25 crank horsepower

BTW - That skyline is AWESOME in red. WOW
Old 04-05-2008, 11:08 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

here's what i have to say about anything and everything that's been posted defending one car or the other so far:

who gives a ****?

both cars are awesome machines, and each one was built for a different purpose. buy what you like and put it up against everyone else. if it's faster, you win. if not, you mod it until you win.

who keeps these cars stock for long anyway?

i've gotta fall back to one of my favorite images to sum it all up:

Old 04-05-2008, 11:18 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 02Z28LS1
here's what i have to say about anything and everything that's been posted defending one car or the other so far:

who gives a ****?

both cars are awesome machines, and each one was built for a different purpose. buy what you like and put it up against everyone else. if it's faster, you win. if not, you mod it until you win.

who keeps these cars stock for long anyway?

i've gotta fall back to one of my favorite images to sum it all up:

1999 called and said they want that picture back
Old 04-05-2008, 11:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by COD02SS
1999 called and said they want that picture back
hey, when the shoe fits.....
Old 04-06-2008, 05:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Is this GTRTech?
Old 04-06-2008, 10:23 AM
Restricted User

From personal experience at comparable costs Nissan cars are MUCH better quality then a comparable GM product. Sure a $20,000 Sentra isnt going to be up to the quality of a $50,000 Corvette. Same goes if you compare a $13,000 Chevrolet Aveo to a $32,000 Nissan Maxima. But in general GM quality is and always has been well below the industry average.
I'm going to have to go ahead and disagree there...the $15k Cobalt puts every Nissan i've encountered to shame. At least within the last 5 years. Perhaps they were better back in the 90's, but not in this century. CR and JD power agree...Nissan hasn't seen the top half of any quality ranking this century.

This is all from personal experience and friends/family who have owned them. I know only one Nissan owner at present time...all the others have fled the brand thanks to most of them spending close to half the MSRP of their vehicle in repair costs over the first 5 years. My mother actually went from two Infinitis (an I30 and a G35) to an Impala SS cause she was tired of spending a grand everytime ANYTHING went wrong with her car. within the first three years of owning both Infinitis, she put in well over 2g's in both cases. The Impala, on the other hand, hasn't needed a damn thing in 40k miles.

I could go on and on about GM quality...but the fact is that GM quality is now, and has been for at least four years, well above the industry average. GM and Toyota made up 15 of the top 18 brands on JD Power's initial quality ranking for 2006. No Nissan there.
Old 04-06-2008, 12:15 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Blakbird24
I'm going to have to go ahead and disagree there...the $15k Cobalt puts every Nissan i've encountered to shame. At least within the last 5 years. Perhaps they were better back in the 90's, but not in this century. CR and JD power agree...Nissan hasn't seen the top half of any quality ranking this century.

This is all from personal experience and friends/family who have owned them. I know only one Nissan owner at present time...all the others have fled the brand thanks to most of them spending close to half the MSRP of their vehicle in repair costs over the first 5 years. My mother actually went from two Infinitis (an I30 and a G35) to an Impala SS cause she was tired of spending a grand everytime ANYTHING went wrong with her car. within the first three years of owning both Infinitis, she put in well over 2g's in both cases. The Impala, on the other hand, hasn't needed a damn thing in 40k miles.

I could go on and on about GM quality...but the fact is that GM quality is now, and has been for at least four years, well above the industry average. GM and Toyota made up 15 of the top 18 brands on JD Power's initial quality ranking for 2006. No Nissan there.
Blak,

Have to disagree with you. Had a rental cobalt and it was a POS on the inside. On the other hand when i had a rental maxima the interior was BEAUTIFUL. It has the technology package and i was blown away with it.
Old 04-06-2008, 01:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Uhhhhhhh, everyone knows that dynacraps inflate the numbers worse than dynojets. When comparing similar dynos, like dynojest, the numbers don't stray too much from one to the next as long as the altitude is pretty consistant.
For the record it made 47x on that Japanese dynapack. They also make ~410awhp on the mustang dynos in the US (two different dynos).
Old 04-06-2008, 01:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

From personal experience at comparable costs Nissan cars are MUCH better quality then a comparable GM product. Sure a $20,000 Sentra isnt going to be up to the quality of a $50,000 Corvette. Same goes if you compare a $13,000 Chevrolet Aveo to a $32,000 Nissan Maxima. But in general GM quality is and always has been well below the industry average.

If this is true, explain to me why My friends' top of the line Nissan Titan has FACTORY SADDLE EXHAUST CLAMPS and my lowly $26k '02 Silverado LS has full, one piece exhaust from the cats back?

How's about all that brittle plastic under the hood?

How about the fact that Chevrolet can actually make a sportscar look like a sportscar?
Old 04-06-2008, 02:05 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by COD02SS
Blak,

Have to disagree with you. Had a rental cobalt and it was a POS on the inside. On the other hand when i had a rental maxima the interior was BEAUTIFUL. It has the technology package and i was blown away with it.
Well apparently our defintions of quality differ...because I can relate to this exact comparison and I came to the exact opposite conclusion. All the Cobalts i've been in felt very solid...every bit as much as even a brand new Civic...while both 07 Maximas that I drove were more comparable to a Kia in overall feel and fit. The Maxima's interior not only was plastic, but made no attempt to hide it...it was slightly reminiscent of being in a large plastic barrel, had the same kinds of reverb and resonances. The Cobalt, despite having plenty of plastic in it's interior, retains a slightly more upscale feel more akin to a Camry or Civic. Not luxury cars by any means, but they do a good job of hiding cheapness. Also...both BRAND NEW Maximas had annoying squeaks eminating from the doors...none of the 06-07 Cobalts did...even with several thousand miles on the clock.

Difference in perspective I suppose...I dunno.
Old 04-06-2008, 02:10 PM
Banned

Just so people can see what we're talking about....

I picked an SS because the price's are closer then a cobalt LT.

08 SE

06 SS
Old 04-06-2008, 06:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bboyferal
^ In a straight line.
in any line. The only advantage the gtr has is better tires then the z06 runflats. Replace those and the z06 is better in all areas, let alone the zr1.
Old 04-06-2008, 06:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

and i have to say that interior looks cheesy in the pics. may be better in person?
Old 04-06-2008, 06:50 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Blakbird24

Sharing personal experiences isnt going to prove much. I will agree that Nissans quality took a dip after Ghosn took office in 2000 and went down hill for a few years but as of late(07+) things have been getting a lot better. Even still I don't think Nissans quality has ever dipped as low as chevrolet. But we both have our opinions. We have 5 different Nissans in the family, two of which with over 200K miles on the factory engine/tranny and all have been rock solid reliable.
Old 04-06-2008, 06:54 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by got-a-ls1
in any line. The only advantage the gtr has is better tires then the z06 runflats. Replace those and the z06 is better in all areas, let alone the zr1.
Exactly... In OEM trim, the GTR is faster around a track.

And LOL if you think the rest of the car has nothing to do with it.

And no one is comparing the ZR1 here... The Motortrend article ran a Z06.

Last edited by bboyferal; 04-06-2008 at 06:59 PM.
Old 04-06-2008, 07:30 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Hydramatic
If this is true, explain to me why My friends' top of the line Nissan Titan has FACTORY SADDLE EXHAUST CLAMPS and my lowly $26k '02 Silverado LS has full, one piece exhaust from the cats back?

How's about all that brittle plastic under the hood?
Well just take a look....
Your interior:

Silverado engine bay:

Nissan Titan interior:

Nissan Titan engine bay:

Man...GM really seems to be beating Nissan on quality...
How about the fact that Chevrolet can actually make a sportscar look like a sportscar?
The GT-R is a ....GT car. It looks like a GT car. Nissan has made sports cars in the past that look like sports cars.

[img][/img]

Both the 240Z and 300ZX have made it onto countless most beautiful cars of all time lists...and yes they look like a Sports car. GTRs have never been pure sports cars.
Old 04-06-2008, 07:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Let it die already, want to argue about how good Nissan is? Find a Nissan board.

Quick Reply: MotorTrend GTR acceleration tests...