Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Edmunds Full-Test & Video - Nissan GT-R

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 05:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That second wheel looks pretty awesome, can't wait to see a cyber-grey ZR1 with some of those.
-Joel
Old 05-14-2008, 06:14 PM
10 Second Club

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by 2000Hawk
That second wheel looks pretty awesome, can't wait to see a cyber-grey ZR1 with some of those.
Both of those rims are only coming on the Z06s, the ZR1's rims are different but I agree that that the Competiton Grey wheels on a Cyber Grey Z06 would look awesome.
In the outside event that I'd get an '09 to replace my current C6 I would likely be getting that color combo.
Old 05-14-2008, 06:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
True. But as you also alluded to briefly, not having an interior that's quite up to the standards of the average $100k car kind of gets somewhat overlooked when your $100k car outperforms $700k - $800k cars (time will tell if that's actually true or not of course).
Besides, the ZR1 is supposed to be getting the Z06's optional/upgraded interior as standard which is quite nice I might add.
You are right about the performance but I was strictly talking interior, nothing else because I understand if we start debating about which cars are better it'd tear this thread down again.

However you got me thinking that yeah the ZR1 should outperform some of the higher end exotics but what if those $700K - $800K exotics used the same weight saving interior's of the vette? I don't know enough to be able to guess at whether 400 lbs is accurate but I'll tell you what if you were to do that to the Veyron or the Saleen, I'd bet they'd be quicker than that those Fugger's are now which is scary to think. I recall that there's a lot of Ferrari's who's interiors are none exsistant too so let's not think all supercars are posh...the F40 comes to mind when talking about skimming on the interiors.
Old 05-14-2008, 06:41 PM
11 Second Club

There is a reason these guys work for a magazine... they are nothing close to experts on cars. You might as well listen to any random person's biased and uninformed opinion on this car. And this article was full of bias...

Even if you look at the U.S.-spec GT-R's instantaneous quarter-mile speed of 117.7 mph, there's no denying it's slower than the JDM GT-R. The reason is, it's making fewer horsepower while running on our inferior 91-octane gasoline. The red GT-R benefited from the 94-to-95-octane fuel that's readily available in Japan.
WTF... who even let this go to print? Doesn't Japan use RON ratings on their gasoline? It isn't higher octane than the US 91 octane ((RON+MON)/2), the US 91 octane would be the same if not slightly better. The JDM spec GT-R is definately faster because of our "inferior" gasoline...

It's a nice car, don't get me wrong, but the bloated advertising makes me sick.
Old 05-14-2008, 06:41 PM
TECH Addict

F40 Interior

Interior wasn't so fantastic, but when you consider the kind of performance you got at the time the interior was the last thing you cared about. People should consider also that im sure GM could have made the ZR1 interior look amazing, but where would the price tag be at then $120,000, $130,000, etc. Cars like the ZR1, VSpec aren't all about making the car look nice, but being the best performance car for the price. I got no problem with the interior, it comes with a speedo that says 220 and a boost gauge thats enough to keep me happy.
-Joel
Old 05-14-2008, 06:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

How? Because I'm a HUGE Corvette enthusiast (and owner) who's on the internet and around Corvettes practically all day/every day and I absorb/retain the knowledge/information that I learn about them as if it were my job LOL.
Truth is I don't know for sure the exact weights and yes those options will in fact add at least some weight but let's be reasonable here.
The option packages and their contents are still very similar to those of the base cars and the Z06s and there is no way to add that much weight to any individual Corvette model simply through factory options/option packages.
Will a loaded ZR1 weigh notably more than a base Z06? Yes, of course but they're two different cars.
A loaded/fully optioned ZR1 cannot weigh 400 pounds more than a base/no option one.

Believe what you want but when a Corvette engineer says that the base car is the one to get because of a 400 pound weight savings, I tend to believe the ENGINEER more than the ENTHUSIAST.
Old 05-14-2008, 08:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 2000Hawk
F40 Interior

Interior wasn't so fantastic, but when you consider the kind of performance you got at the time the interior was the last thing you cared about. People should consider also that im sure GM could have made the ZR1 interior look amazing, but where would the price tag be at then $120,000, $130,000, etc. Cars like the ZR1, VSpec aren't all about making the car look nice, but being the best performance car for the price. I got no problem with the interior, it comes with a speedo that says 220 and a boost gauge thats enough to keep me happy.
-Joel
LOL... On these cars, don't forget high speed fuel gauges, most of all.

BTW, the F40 is pure sex... I'm currently saving for it in GT5 Prologue.
Old 05-14-2008, 08:27 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Morpheus
Believe what you want but when a Corvette engineer says that the base car is the one to get because of a 400 pound weight savings, I tend to believe the ENGINEER more than the ENTHUSIAST.
The king should believe a FOOD TASTER more than the COOK.
Old 05-14-2008, 09:18 PM
TECH Addict

Porsche 997 GT3RS

Interior of this car isn't anything flashy either, its easy to the eyes and goes straight to business. If your looking for comfort, and a nice flashy interior then something like ZR1 or GTR is not for you.
-Joel
Old 05-14-2008, 09:51 PM
10 Second Club

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Spoolin
However you got me thinking that yeah the ZR1 should outperform some of the higher end exotics but what if those $700K - $800K exotics used the same weight saving interior's of the vette? I don't know enough to be able to guess at whether 400 lbs is accurate but I'll tell you what if you were to do that to the Veyron or the Saleen, I'd bet they'd be quicker than that those Fugger's are now which is scary to think. I recall that there's a lot of Ferrari's who's interiors are none exsistant too so let's not think all supercars are posh...the F40 comes to mind when talking about skimming on the interiors.
I think I know what you're saying here but I don't think you fully understand about the ZR1's (or even Z06's) interior.
Even a base (for arguement's sake let's call it the lightweight version) is anything but spartan, the car still comes with comfy leather seating, power windows/locks/seat, cruise control, heads up display, multi speaker/high powered audio system, climate control A/C etc. The upgrades merely add a few more extras to make an already luxurious interior (for a sports car) even more so. So the bit about exercising those same weight savings in a Veyron or Saleen S7 doesn't really apply because the ZR1 (nor Corvettes in general) doesn't utilize those weight saving measures that you're referring to. Think of it as a fully equipped heavy interior with an optional one that's slightly heavier.
Old 05-14-2008, 09:56 PM
10 Second Club

Question

So I just want to clarify, you truly believe in your heart that there will be a base ZR1 that weighs roughly 3300 pounds and that with only using factory available options one will be able to load that very same car up to be roughly 3700 pounds?
And regardless of who said or where you'd read it, you truly believe that this will be the case?
Old 05-14-2008, 09:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

I think I know what you're saying here but I don't think you fully understand about the ZR1's (or even Z06's) interior.
Even a base (for arguement's sake let's call it the lightweight version) is anything but spartan, the car still comes with comfy leather seating, power windows/locks/seat, cruise control, heads up display, multi speaker/high powered audio system, climate control A/C etc. The upgrades merely add a few more extras to make an already luxurious interior (for a sports car) even more so. So the bit about exercising those same weight savings in a Veyron or Saleen S7 doesn't really apply because the ZR1 (nor Corvettes in general) doesn't utilize those weight saving measures that you're referring to. Think of it as a fully equipped heavy interior with an optional one that's slightly heavier.

You have lost your mind. How can weight savings in an interior not apply to the ZR1? If you add an option, you're adding weight and therefore slowing the car down. It's that simple.

I think it's funny that you don't think weight savings apply to the ZR1. The engineers sure went to a lot of trouble to shave weight from this car to help offset the added weight of the go fast and stop short goodies. All that carbon fiber isn't a weight reduction?
Old 05-14-2008, 10:00 PM
TECH Addict

Wasn't the F40 built to be light, i believe some of the body panels were glued together. I think it was because Ferrari stated the nuts and bolts would have added more weight to the car.
-Joel
Old 05-14-2008, 10:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

So I just want to clarify, you truly believe in your heart that there will be a base ZR1 that weighs roughly 3300 pounds and that with only using factory available options one will be able to load that very same car up to be roughly 3700 pounds?
And regardless of who said or where you'd read it, you truly believe that this will be the case?
I know that leather is heavy. Mechanical options can be heavy. I don't know for sure that's why I'm not jumping out there and saying that it's impossible like you are. The bottom line is that you don't know that either. You just sound like someone that likes to think that they know it all.

I don't know what else is added to the interior when the leather wrap is added. I'm sure it's not "lightweight" though.

Ask yourself this. Why would they offer a base ZR1 if there was only a minimal weight savings? The car is going to cost over $100k. Do you think that GM said "We better offer a base model so that the car is affordable to the common man." Anyone that can afford this car isn't going to care about another $7,000 in options unless there's a significant weight increase that could hinder performance. GM would just offer this car with no options, all loaded if that was the case.
Old 05-14-2008, 10:08 PM
10 Second Club

Lightbulb

You have lost your mind. How can weight savings in an interior not apply to the ZR1? If you add an option, you're adding weight and therefore slowing the car down. It's that simple.
I think it's funny that you don't think weight savings apply to the ZR1. The engineers sure went to a lot of trouble to shave weight from this car to help offset the added weight of the go fast and stop short goodies. All that carbon fiber isn't a weight reduction?
No, I haven't lost anything, including this discussion.
The ZR1's interior is not a gutted race car, the car comes with the same exact accoutrements that the base Z06 and even the base LS3 come with.
Of course if you add an option you add weight, and I CLEARLY STATED THAT. My point was that Spoolin was under the impression that the base ZR1 was stripped down (like say a Lotus Elise or the old Club Sport Porsches and BMWs used to be) and it's not. Yes there are luxury options that can be added if one chooses but even the base car is WELL equipped.

And I know the car has numerous weight savings measures that even the already lightweight Z06 doesn't have, they were done to counter the added weight of the supercharger and plumbing. But I was referring to ONLY the interior as that was the SOLE TOPIC of discussion here.
Old 05-14-2008, 10:18 PM
Banned

No, I haven't lost anything, including this discussion.
The ZR1's interior is not a gutted race car, the car comes with the same exact accoutrements that the base Z06 and even the base LS3 come with.
Of course if you add an option you add weight, and I CLEARLY STATED THAT. My point was that Spoolin was under the impression that the base ZR1 was stripped down (like say a Lotus Elise or the old Club Sport Porsches and BMWs used to be) and it's not. Yes there are luxury options that can be added if one chooses but even the base car is WELL equipped.

And I know the car has numerous weight savings measures that even the already lightweight Z06 doesn't have, they were done to counter the added weight of the supercharger and plumbing. But I was referring to ONLY the interior as that was the SOLE TOPIC of discussion here.
Im thinking, what can they possibly add to the car in order to make it 400lbs heavier? Leather might add 40-50lbs(25 per seat possilby) , Navi system(another 10-15 not exactly sure whats involved) and thats it.
Old 05-14-2008, 10:20 PM
10 Second Club

You just sound like someone that likes to think that they know it all.
Nah I don't know it all or even think that I do, but if you REALLY think that one can add 400 pounds in factory options to any Corvette then apparently I at least know more than you do on this particular subject LOL.

Ask yourself this. Why would they offer a base ZR1 if there was only a minimal weight savings? The car is going to cost over $100k. Do you think that GM said "We better offer a base model so that the car is affordable to the common man." Anyone that can afford this car isn't going to care about another $7,000 in options unless there's a significant weight increase that could hinder performance. GM would just offer this car with no options, all loaded if that was the case.
Dude, why do they offer a base anything?
You do know that ALL other Corvettes come as base models with option packages and a series of individual options available as well right?
While the base models are slightly lighter that is NOT necessarily why GM/Chevrolet set it up that way.
In other words, the weight difference between loaded Corvettes and base ones IS a factor to the few racer types out there like myself but it was not a priority to GM as they already went through the R&D to make the car relatively light. Their motivation for these higher cost options was plain old CA$H.
Old 05-14-2008, 10:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by fail_safe
Im thinking, what can they possibly add to the car in order to make it 400lbs heavier? Leather might add 40-50lbs(25 per seat possilby) , Navi system(another 10-15 not exactly sure whats involved) and thats it.
Nav won't add much weight. It's vitually the same as the standard radio. The power pass seat, telescoping steering wheel, side-impact airbags, heated seats and leather wrap will add weight though.
Old 05-14-2008, 10:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Nah I don't know it all or even think that I do, but if you REALLY think that one can add 400 pounds in factory options to any Corvette then apparently I at least know more than you do on this particular subject LOL.

Dude, why do they offer a base anything?
You do know that ALL other Corvettes come as base models with option packages and a series of individual options available as well right?
While the base models are slightly lighter that is NOT necessarily why GM/Chevrolet set it up that way.
In other words, the weight difference between loaded Corvettes and base ones IS a factor to the few racer types out there like myself but it was not a priority to GM as they already went through the R&D to make the car relatively light. Their motivation for these higher cost options was plain old CA$H.

THAT'S THE WHOLE POINT THAT I JUST MADE!! Why would someone that is shelling out $100k for a car give 2 ***** about another $7000? THEY DON'T!!

I've been in the car business for over 8 years. Trust me, when the rich buy cars, they don't want base. They want it all and will pay for it. The ONLY reason they're offering a base ZR1 is because of weight savings.
Old 05-14-2008, 10:24 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by fail_safe
EXACTLY.
Someone is apparently a bit misinformed about how cars are built.

"Yes I'd like to order my black Corvette with the refrigerator, sink and Brinks vault options please."

Quick Reply: Edmunds Full-Test & Video - Nissan GT-R