Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Edmunds Full-Test & Video - Nissan GT-R

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 10:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
EXACTLY.
Someone is apparently a bit misinformed about how cars are built.

"Yes I'd like to order my black Corvette with the refrigerator, sink and Brinks vault options please."

I promise you that I know more about how cars are built and the thinking that goes into what GM offers than you will EVER know.
Old 05-14-2008, 10:26 PM
10 Second Club

Question

Originally Posted by Morpheus
The power pass seat, telescoping steering wheel, side-impact airbags, heated seats and leather wrap will add weight though.
But 400 pounds worth?
If not then where's all that weight?
You're kind of answering your own questions here.
Old 05-14-2008, 10:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

But 400 pounds worth?
If not then where's all that weight?
You're kind of answering your own questions here.

I'm done. I will go to parts tommorrow, order all of this ****, weigh it and then get back to you. Talking to you is like arging with a ******* teenager.
Old 05-14-2008, 10:33 PM
10 Second Club

THAT'S THE WHOLE POINT THAT I JUST MADE!! Why would someone that is shelling out $100k for a car give 2 ***** about another $7000? THEY DON'T!!
I've been in the car business for over 8 years. Trust me, when the rich buy cars, they don't want base. They want it all and will pay for it. The ONLY reason they're offering a base ZR1 is because of weight savings.
You're absolutely right, they don't care. But that's just how GM does things.
They did it with the Z06 as well, that car has a price range of $70k - $78k depending on options, why doesn't it apply there?

Are you sure that the ZR1 won't be available with a Club Sport (V-Spec? ) package at some point the reduces (not adds) weight and that maybe that's what you'd heard about?
Old 05-14-2008, 10:34 PM
10 Second Club

I promise you that I know more about how cars are built and the thinking that goes into what GM offers than you will EVER know.
This coming from a guy that thinks you can add 400 pounds in options to a Corvette, a car that's been in production for over 54 years.

I'm done. I will go to parts tommorrow, order all of this ****, weigh it and then get back to you. Talking to you is like arging with a ******* teenager.
YOU'RE the freakin' stubborn one here, I'm using logic and reasoning in it's PUREST form here.

Think about what you're saying, 400 pounds of options in a 3300 pound car?!
You actually believe this but I'm the ******* teenager?!
Old 05-14-2008, 10:39 PM
Banned

This coming from a guy that thinks you can add 400 pounds in options to a Corvette, a car that's been in production for over 54 years.

YOU'RE the freakin' stubborn one here, I'm using logic and reasoning in it's PUREST form here.

Well, whats the difference in weight from a regular Z06 from an all out option Z06? What about a standard c6 from a leathered out model?
Old 05-14-2008, 10:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Just curious, but what do you do for a living? Since my 8+ years of being on the car business with GM haven't given me any insight into these things, I'd just like to know where you've gotten all of your car knowledge.

And let me say again, that I was repeating what I saw reported that was a quote from one of the Corvette engineering team members and that I have not said that it was false or true. Only that I tend to believe someone from the inside rather than an internet enthusiast.
Old 05-14-2008, 10:52 PM
10 Second Club

Just curious, but what do you do for a living? Since my 8+ years of being on the car business with GM haven't given me any insight into these things, I'd just like to know where you've gotten all of your car knowledge.
I do nothing for a living.
I retired a few years back (I do a little day trading though) at age 33, have been an AVID car enthusiast since the late '70s and do almost nothing else but spend my time reading about, racing, hanging with other car people, at tuner shops and race tracks, driving and generally focusing my world ENTIRELY on high performance vehicles of all types.

And let me say again, that I was repeating what I saw reported that was a quote from one of the Corvette engineering team members and that I have not said that it was false or true. Only that I tend to believe someone from the inside rather than an internet enthusiast.
Understood. Then maybe we should both make a solid attempt at verifying (or discrediting) that information before we go to war over it.
Old 05-14-2008, 10:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Well I never said or implied that the Corvette line was a stripped down race car but was referring to the fact that Corvette interiors have never been regarded as luxurious or posh or "exciting". Corvette has always been the average man's super car and to allow the car to be affordable to the average blue collar worker they can't compete in the interior as other car brands can. Does that mean it's crap...no. Please don't take this as an attack on the corvette which you seem to do.
To people who own and drive one everyday I'm sure those people become accustomed and comfortable with the corvette interiors and end up loving the simplicity and everyday comfort of it, it isn't sparse by any means but you'd rarely find anyone who drives a high end Audi, MB, BMW, Porsche, etc...sit in a corvette and ever ever consider the corvette to have a nicer or comparative interior.
An advantage of their interiors is weight, exotic woods and leathers and such weigh quite a bit more than the plastic dash of the corvette. The Aston Martin's are a prime example of that. What I was saying is if Aston Martin or Bugatti were to use the same materials as chevy does with their cars and they were able to save even 200 lbs it would be quite different for them performance wise.
Again this isn't a knock on the corvette, please don't take it as so.
Old 05-14-2008, 10:54 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by fail_safe
Well, whats the difference in weight from a regular Z06 from an all out option Z06? What about a standard c6 from a leathered out model?
Are you including wheels in the options as well, because i can see the wheels making a big difference in weight depending on the materials used. Then again i don't see what options you can add to the Corvette from GM can add so much weight. Heaviest things probably you stated them the leather and the NAV, but everything else wont add up to the amount of weight people are thinking. I got to see the ZR1 in person at the Corvette Corral in Sebring for the 12 hours, and the inside looked normal to me. I can see maybe on the standard Corvette going from Z51 suspension or regular suspension to the F55 Magnetic Ride Control system. That set-up im sure will add a good bit of weight compared to the other suspensions systems. But i guess we'll have to wait and see what happens when the ZR1 goes public.
-Joel
Old 05-14-2008, 10:57 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Spoolin
Well I never said or implied that the Corvette line was a stripped down race car but was referring to the fact that Corvette interiors have never been regarded as luxurious or posh or "exciting". Corvette has always been the average man's super car and to allow the car to be affordable to the average blue collar worker they can't compete in the interior as other car brands can. Does that mean it's crap...no. Please don't take this as an attack on the corvette which you seem to do.
To people who own and drive one everyday I'm sure those people become accustomed and comfortable with the corvette interiors and end up loving the simplicity and everyday comfort of it, it isn't sparse by any means but you'd rarely find anyone who drives a high end Audi, MB, BMW, Porsche, etc...sit in a corvette and ever ever consider the corvette to have a nicer or comparative interior.
An advantage of their interiors is weight, exotic woods and leathers and such weigh quite a bit more than the plastic dash of the corvette. The Aston Martin's are a prime example of that. What I was saying is if Aston Martin or Bugatti were to use the same materials as chevy does with their cars and they were able to save even 200 lbs it would be quite different for them performance wise.
I understand what your getting at, but also with something like a Bugatti and an Aston Martin your getting performance and absolute luxury on the inside. The ZR1 is the poor mans supercar, if the higher priced super cars were to use the same materials as GM then they wouldn't really be considered so luxurious and their prices wont be so high. Nowadays depending on the car you get what you pay for. If you get yourself a Malibu don't expect it to have the interior of a Mercedes.
-Joel
Old 05-14-2008, 11:00 PM
10 Second Club

Smile

My friends and I on the Corvette Forum have been trying to figure that out for a few years now LOL.
Too many variables (fuel levels, scale calibrations, vehicles weighed with and without driver etc.) to really pin it down but what we have come close to determining is that a fully loaded (3LT package, Z51 etc.) 'non Z06' C6 weighs roughly 100-120 pounds more than a 'no options' base model C6 with the same transmission choice.

Last edited by LS1LT1; 05-14-2008 at 11:10 PM.
Old 05-14-2008, 11:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Exactly!
I don't know what the exact definition of exotic is but if the Corvette's interior were on par with exotics than I'm sure the corvette might be considered one because the performance of the ZR1 and Z06 certainly put them in the same class.
Old 05-14-2008, 11:09 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Spoolin
Good points. But then again the average Porsche or Ferrari (or Lamborghini or Saleen S7) interior, though featuring quality materials of course, isn't laden with heavy weight items such as wood, complicated overweight stereo systems and extra seats in back either, just like a Corvette. Their focus is light weight all the way around but with a nice feel.
It's really the Mercedes, Astons, Bentley's, Jaguars etc that would benefit from those Corvette type weight reducing materials that you speak of.
Old 05-14-2008, 11:10 PM
Banned

My friends and I on the Corvette Forum have been trying to figure that out for a few years now LOL.
Too many variables (fuel levels, scale calibrations, vehicles weighed with and without driver etc.) to really pin it down but what we have come close to determining is that a fully loaded (2LT package, Z51 etc.) 'non Z06' C6 weighs roughly 100-120 pounds more than a 'no options' base model C6 with the same transmission choice.
Does the ZR1 have an option for side impact bags? Maybe that can add another 50 or so lbs with all the electronics.
Old 05-14-2008, 11:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I see my prediction has manifested itself, well except for the lock but that will happen soon enough. IBTL
Old 05-14-2008, 11:48 PM
10 Second Club

Does the ZR1 have an option for side impact bags? Maybe that can add another 50 or so lbs with all the electronics.
I'm pretty sure it does have that option as part of a package just like on the base cars.
Again it does add weight but likely not a full 50 pounds, even for both.
Old 05-14-2008, 11:57 PM
Banned

I'm pretty sure it does have that option as part of a package just like on the base cars.
Again it does add weight but likely not a full 50 pounds, even for both.
Maybe its the new dual action carbon carbon split screen navi system
Old 05-15-2008, 06:37 AM
TECH Apprentice

Side impact airbags are only available with the 3ZR package on the ZR1. To get them, you have to get everything else in that package.

Quick Reply: Edmunds Full-Test & Video - Nissan GT-R